PDA

View Full Version : As a kid, did any songs scare you when they came on the radio?

Wee Bairn
11-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Just wondering if I was in the minority as a kid by being spooked by certain songs when they came on late at night on the radio. I can recall two:

Knights in White Satin- I would having to turn the radio off if I heard this at night. Overall a really creepy sound.

A Day in the Life- specifically John's "ahhhhs" after "somebody spoke and I went into a dream".

Zebra
11-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Wild Fire creeped me out quite a bit.

After seeing the movie Tommy when I was a wee lad, I was afraid of Tina Turner.

myskepticsight
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Not the radio, but my parents had James Gang "Bang" album and the cover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Jamesgangbang.jpg) weirded me out - six barrel shotgun, tiny pony, moon with a face. Some of the guitar noises in their songs got to me a bit - but scared really isn't the emotion. I totally dig this album now, it's fun to listen to, but when I was a kid it made me feel weird.

Biggirl
11-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Also not the radio but The Late Late Movie used Syncopated Clock as it's theme and that song can still cause a chill if I hear it unexpectedly.

Jet Jaguar
11-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin. When I was a kid, there was a TV program called "The Double Creature Feature" or something like that. It aired things like Godzilla and B horror movies every Saturday afternoon. Anyway, it used the psychedelic bit from the middle of Whole Lotta Love in it's bumpers going to and from commercials, and it freaked me out! I'd run from the room if I were alone.

To this day, that part of the song still creeps me out.

jayjay
11-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Not a song, but Wolfman Jack scared the heck out of me. I didn't understand that he wasn't a real wolfman...

*yeah, I'm a child of the 70s*

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
11-09-2006, 05:35 PM
I spilled the cup of water I was carrying the first time I heard Arthur Brown scream "I am the God of Hell Fire!!!"

carlb
11-09-2006, 06:00 PM
"Rock Lobster" by the B-52s.

I used to have a clock radio with a "sleep" timer on it. I would listen to the local radio station while going to sleep, during which time they would run down the top 5 songs for the day. There was a stretch of time where "Rock Lobster" was in the top 5, and always seemed to be playing when I was half-asleep. The tail end of the song, with the creepy electric organ music and weird "fish" sounds used to give me nightmares.

Snooooopy
11-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I found Manfred Mann's cover of "Blinded By The Light" a little intimidating.

wonder9
11-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Back in the late sixties, early seventies there was this song about, I think, a group of miners who got trapped underground and the song talks about Timothy with the intimation that Timothy gets eaten when the miners get hunger. OMG. Scared me to death when I was a kid. And I liked the tune, I remember that. It was only after I listened to the words that I freaked out. Yuck.

ZipperJJ
11-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Knights in White Satin- I would having to turn the radio off if I heard this at night. Overall a really creepy sound.

That's "Nights in White Satin" btw. Easily and often confused.

When i was in high school I woke up to a clock radio, but it played for an hour or so while I drifted in and out of sleep. One time I had a seriously scary half-awake dream while "Hotel California" played and the song has made me creeped out ever since.

I also liked to read about the whole "Paul is dead" thing and find the clues. But finding the clues and the whole idea of the thing REALLY creeped me out. Kept on reading about it anyway. So pretty much anything cited in the "Paul is dead canon" scared me.

This was in the 80's and 90's by the way - not while it was actively happening. I knew he wasn't dead.

jayjay
11-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I also liked to read about the whole "Paul is dead" thing and find the clues. But finding the clues and the whole idea of the thing REALLY creeped me out. Kept on reading about it anyway. So pretty much anything cited in the "Paul is dead canon" scared me.

I thought I was the only one who got that eerie feeling when reading about "Paul is dead"! It's weird...I didn't really know about that rumor until the late 80s, either, so I KNEW he was alive, but the whole thing just puts me in a very strange mood.

RoniaBorkason
11-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Ick, ick, ick, yes! There was this song, I don't even know the title or artist, it was in the early-to-mid-eighties that I heard it, that to this day kind of creeps me out - something about the music bothered me, because I sure didn't/don't mind the words. It was something about having to get down to the river, since everyone thought he had killed someone, but she was fine when he left her, and he has to get to the river (to prove he hadn't done it? I'm not sure why). I can't even listen to songs that remind me of it. Any idea who it was, so that I can avoid them more thoroughly?

NailBunny
11-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Ick, ick, ick, yes! There was this song, I don't even know the title or artist, it was in the early-to-mid-eighties that I heard it, that to this day kind of creeps me out - something about the music bothered me, because I sure didn't/don't mind the words. It was something about having to get down to the river, since everyone thought he had killed someone, but she was fine when he left her, and he has to get to the river (to prove he hadn't done it? I'm not sure why). I can't even listen to songs that remind me of it. Any idea who it was, so that I can avoid them more thoroughly?

I am so bloody ashamed that I know this.

Hazard by Richard Marx.

dwc1970
11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
I didn't hear it on the radio, but whenever my sister played Kiss's "God of Thunder" I'd get freaked out. The end of "Black Diamond" also freaked me out, as the speed of the recording gradually slows down and comes to nearly a complete stop. At the time (about 7-8 years old) I thought the whole space-time continuum (or my vague conception of it at the time) was slowing down around me. Creeped me out big time!

want2know
11-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Back in the late sixties, early seventies there was this song about, I think, a group of miners who got trapped underground and the song talks about Timothy with the intimation that Timothy gets eaten when the miners get hunger. OMG. Scared me to death when I was a kid. And I liked the tune, I remember that. It was only after I listened to the words that I freaked out. Yuck.
Timothy (http://songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2005)

And any fan of MST3K knows that Timothy was a duck!

For me, for some reason, "Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean kinda creeped me out when I was a kid.

Walloon
11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
"Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield. After part of it was used in The Exorcist, it became a hit single. The association was enough to make us kids stop whatever we were doing and talk in awed whispers about the whole shocking story.

Wee Bairn
11-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Zebra- ditto Wildfire, assuimg you mean the one about the horse.

ZipperJJ- thanks! :)

Kilvert's Pagan
11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
There were some that made me really sad when I heard them, but the only one that creeped me out when I was a kid was on TV - it was the theme to Perry Mason.

OK, so I feel a little old. :rolleyes:

capybara
11-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I thought Painted Black was spooky, and the keyboard section in. . Runaway (I wa wa wa wa won-duh, why she ran away! or something) but my older sister had something. . . I have no idea what it was-- I want to say ELO but I realize that's highly unlikely (she mostly listened to the pop stuff-- Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Manilow, KISS, etc. . . so I can't image what this would have been)-- but it was like distorted electronic work-- some sort of oscillating synth stuff that reminds me (in my memory) of more modern ambient techno, but it scared the crap out of me. I'd get hysterical whenever she played it and jump up on a couch since I was afraid of touching the floor.
If someone could guess what it was based on this I'd be impressed. Someone could probably determine the exact date of my birth as well from this post.

bouv
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
For some reason, "For the Longest Time," by Billy Joel kind of freaked me out as a wee lad.

descamisado
11-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Not a song, per se, but the theme from the TV show Unsolved Mysteries scared the shit out me -- mostly if I had fallen asleep with the TV on and the lights out and it was playing when I woke up.

I've seriously turned on all the lights and checked under beds and behind doors because of this one.

But I think they meant to do that.

Shoeless
11-09-2006, 09:50 PM
One night back in the 80's I was driving to St Louis in the middle of the night and one of the St Louis radio stations was playing Triumvirat's "March To The Eternal City" (from the "Spartacus" LP). I never really thought of that cut as being that creepy, but driving down the highway alone in the middle of the night... yeah that kind of freaked me out.

Larry Mudd
11-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Ricky Valance's Tell Laura I Love Her distressed the hell out of me when I was a juvenile. (It still does, just not the same way.)

It's just a maudlin little teenage death song of the sort that was so popular at the time, for some reason it was MORTALITY writ large to me. It sounds as creepy as hell, too. If Dean Stockwell sang Tell Laura I Loved Her in Blue Velvet instead of In Dreams, I would have absolutely pissed my pants, instead of just choking in fear a little.

Anastasaeon
11-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Uncle Albert by... Paul McCartney? Wings? Whatever. I still hate it today. It used to make me think of Aunt Bird from Mr. Dressup, and that bird skull head from the Eagles Greatest Hits album cover. Don't ask.

Anything with violins in it, or synth violins, or something. There were a couple of songs on the radio around that time, around 79-81ish, that had these creepy, sad-sounding violin-y sounds that would freak me right out.

Sailing by Christopher Cross used to make me howl in sadness, because there was a television show with a cat on a surfboard they showed surfing around, using that song in the background, and I always wondered how the damn cat could get back home - since cats hated water. I loathed that song.

Another vote for Nights in White Satin.

The theme song for "The Littlest Hobo".

Dead Puppies depressed me, and I would always leave the room.

Anyone own the album Sandinista! by the Clash? You know those little parts in between songs they threw in there? "Have you ever asked yourself: Who holds the key that winds up Big Ben?" before Silcone on Sapphire, or that one before The Call Up (was it before The Call Up? Or am I getting it backwards?)where the same guy starts that spooky-ass singing? Holy crap, did that ever scare the bejiminies out of me! I also wasn't terribly fond of the kid singing The Guns of Brixton.

Brr.

Plastic Soul
11-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Black Sabbath. Devil music.
Bohemian Rhapsody. Especially the video - four floating multipying heads!

Rysdad
11-09-2006, 11:41 PM
A group called Bloodrock did a song titled DOA. The song started out with a very realistic siren sound--one that made me check the rearview mirror every damn time it came on the radio.

Here's a link to the lyrics (http://leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?hid=07In6a3phgs%3D) and a little sample:

"Life is flowing out my body.
Pain is flowing out with my blood.
The sheets are red and moist where I'm lying.
God in Heaven, teach me how to die."

Now, is that uplifting or what?

Sublight
11-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Revolution No. 9 kind of creeped me out when I first heard it. Then it just got annoying.

Mesquite-oh
11-10-2006, 02:10 AM
As a kid sharing a room, my older brothers would play music to help them fall asleep. While the were playing the entire side of Rush's "2112" and falling blissfully asleep, I was wide awake and wondering if the noise I heard were the priests from the Temples of Syrinx. Some of the Beatle's psychodelic sounding stuff used to not exactly lead to peaceful slumber.

JacksonRoykirk
11-10-2006, 03:31 AM
Didn't scare me, and it wasn't on the radio, but the video for Michael Jackson's "Thriller" seriously freaked out my nephew when it was in heavy rotation. Understandable, since he was only about three years old at the time and the King of Pop's transformation into a cat-monster was very unsettling.

jellyblue
11-10-2006, 03:39 AM
"Horse with No Name" (Neil Young) STILL freaks me out, frankly. But when I was kid, I'd get frantic if I had to listen to it.

Oh, and "Alone Again (Naturally)" - SO depressing! :(

JacksonRoykirk
11-10-2006, 03:44 AM
"Horse with No Name" (Neil Young) STILL freaks me out, frankly. But when I was kid, I'd get frantic if I had to listen to it.
<snip>

"A Horse With No Name" is by America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_with_no_name)

jellyblue
11-10-2006, 04:01 AM
"A Horse With No Name" is by America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_with_no_name)

Ugh, right you are, I always get it mixed up with "Heart of Gold" for some reason. Which also creeps me out, but not as bad. I'm glad I didn't attempt an artist on the other song!

Charger
11-10-2006, 04:32 AM
Didn't scare me, and it wasn't on the radio, but the video for Michael Jackson's "Thriller" seriously freaked out my nephew when it was in heavy rotation. Understandable, since he was only about three years old at the time and the King of Pop's transformation into a cat-monster was very unsettling.
The zombies freaked me out (I was probably about 9 at the time). Especially the one that opens his mouth and it's full of blood.

I remember waking up one summer morning to the clock radio playing "What if God Was One of Us?" and being seriously spooked by the melody.

I think falling asleep or waking up to a song enhances the potential creepiness of it.

Paul in Qatar
11-10-2006, 04:36 AM
Another vote for DOA by Bloodrock.

(For years I thought it was Knights in White Satin. I presumed it was about people with gender issues.)

IvoryTowerDenizen
11-10-2006, 08:57 AM
What a great question-

Stairway to Heaven

I would listen to radio falling while falling asleep and that song scared me to death.

I'm still not thrilled when it comes on the radio...

YWalker
11-10-2006, 09:18 AM
A group called Bloodrock did a song titled DOA. The song started out with a very realistic siren sound--one that made me check the rearview mirror every damn time it came on the radio.

Here's a link to the lyrics (http://leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?hid=07In6a3phgs%3D) and a little sample:

"Life is flowing out my body.
Pain is flowing out with my blood.
The sheets are red and moist where I'm lying.
God in Heaven, teach me how to die."

Now, is that uplifting or what?
Absolutely, that one.

That was out around 1970. I was nine years old then. That summer, I saw a horrible accident near my house (that probably ended up in fatalities, but I never found out. We saw it by driving by, and my Mom kept us out and away from home for several hours.) My older sister also died that Halloween (from cancer.)

That song could send me into depression or near hysterics when I heard it.

Miss Mapp
11-10-2006, 09:30 AM
In the mid-70s, there was a song with (I think) the title "Love Rollercoaster," and there was a story going around our school that someone had been murdered in the studio while this song was being recorded; if you listened really closely, you could hear the murder victim screaming in the background. So, whenever it was on the radio, we listened really closely... and while I never heard anything definite, that song always creeped me out just by association.

An Arky
11-10-2006, 09:34 AM
I was in trouble and dreading retribution, and the big hit of the day was Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street_%28song%29). For some reason, that wailing sax just cranked up my anxiety.

Spoons
11-10-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm glad I didn't attempt an artist on the other song!Psst...your other song ("Alone Again (Naturally)") was Gilbert O'Sullivan. ;)

gigi
11-10-2006, 09:39 AM
"Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield. After part of it was used in The Exorcist, it became a hit single. The association was enough to make us kids stop whatever we were doing and talk in awed whispers about the whole shocking story.Hee hee, this reminds me of the part of High Fidelity where he goes over to the girl's house and is evaluating her record collection. He has to write her off when he sees that she owns not just Tubular Bells, but Tubular Bells 2!

Eleanor Rigby creeped me out, especially the part about her keeping her face in a jar by the door. :eek:

Hotel California, ditto.

There was also one with "car accident, accident victim <We have a donor>" in it; not DOA, but something about him looking over at his girl and she's missing an arm or something??

I wasn't a kid, but "Don't Worry Be Happy" creeped me out, and doubly so after they played it at a college friend's memorial. Also, "Be Alone Tonight" from the School Daze soundtrack, as the same friend had performed in a skit singing that song.

Kizarvexius
11-10-2006, 09:42 AM
I never heard it on the radio, but some of the film score from Disney's The Black Hole (http://imdb.com/title/tt0078869/) (not to mention the movie itself) freaked me out.

gigi
11-10-2006, 10:55 AM
I never heard it on the radio, but some of the film score from Disney's The Black Hole (http://imdb.com/title/tt0078869/) (not to mention the movie itself) freaked me out.
Oh shit. That movie freaked me out horribly. The idea of a BLACK HOLE you can't escape....AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Wee Bairn
11-10-2006, 12:09 PM
A new thread made me recall another one- The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald- very ominous.

Poysyn
11-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree with a lot of these, Edmund Fitzgerald, Timothy (never heard the song but looked up the lyrics, Good Lord!) and The Theme to Unsolved Mysteries

Now mine -

The Intro to You Took the Words Right Outta My Mouth - Meatloaf and the intro to Lunatic Fringe

El_Kabong
11-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Zager and Evans' In the Year 2525, I guess just because it seemed so bleak.

Can't remember the title, but there was some mid-60's thing in which the marrator of the song gets all horny while watching a belly dance or some such thing. The chorus goes "stop, stop, stop all the dancing, lord I have to leave". Creeps me right out just thinking about it, even now.

lieu
11-10-2006, 01:00 PM
"Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield. After part of it was used in The Exorcist, it became a hit single. The association was enough to make us kids stop whatever we were doing and talk in awed whispers about the whole shocking story.To this day that song still freaks me out.

InappropriateHumor
11-10-2006, 01:03 PM
There's a song by, I believe, ELO that starts out with the lyrics run backwards. When I was a teenager I played my stereo quietly all night. Sometimes I would wake up and it sounded like someone was preparing to sacrifice me to Satan. Scared the crap out of me.

I can't place the song title or remember the intelligible part of the lyrics. Sound familiar to anyone?

Wee Bairn
11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
The intro to "Face the Music" is backwards- it says "The music is reversible, time is not. Turn back. Turn back. ...", but ELO did a few songs like this.

Kizarvexius
11-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Zager and Evans' In the Year 2525, I guess just because it seemed so bleak.

Can't remember the title, but there was some mid-60's thing in which the marrator of the song gets all horny while watching a belly dance or some such thing. The chorus goes "stop, stop, stop all the dancing, lord I have to leave". Creeps me right out just thinking about it, even now.

Stop, Stop, Stop by The Hollies. A stalker classic.

Shayna
11-10-2006, 01:37 PM
I totally 2nd Tubular Bells -- very creepy, indeed, and add The Who's Boris the Spider (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=33:9rq8b594psbe) to the list. Creepy Crawly, Creepy Crawly, Creepy Creepy, Crawly Crawly. <shudder>

AHunter3
11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, since I don't get to be the first one to mention DOA by Bloodrock...

A couple from Jim Morrison, perhaps?:

"When I was back there in seminary school
There was a person there
Who put forth the proposition
That you can petition the Lord with prayer...

Petition the Lord with prayer...

Petition the Lord with prayer...

...You cannot petition the Lord
with prayer!!!!!

&&

"All hail the American night!" <thud> <thud>

Walloon
11-10-2006, 01:43 PM
To this day that song still freaks me out.Well, it's not a song.

devilsknew
11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
I wasn't really a kid, but in the late 80's I would drive around old country roads late at night in my '76 Ford LTD and play the Abigail and Them albums by King Diamond. It was so creepy, I hade some amped Bose speakers that were not only loud but had a lifelike ambient clarity that would make my hairs stand on end during some of the creepier parts.

They are horror story albums and though they are heavy metal and King Diamond has a ridiculous falsetto, there was just something very Gothic and scary about the whole experience... flat Ohio Farmland bereft in Fall and King Diamond wailing about Deranged Families, Mental Patients, and hauntings and possessions over my shoulder, all at 80 MPH on narrow backroads at 3 in the morning with my headlights turned off makes for adrenaline and some strange thoughts.

JacksonRoykirk
11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
In the mid-70s, there was a song with (I think) the title "Love Rollercoaster," and there was a story going around our school that someone had been murdered in the studio while this song was being recorded; if you listened really closely, you could hear the murder victim screaming in the background. So, whenever it was on the radio, we listened really closely... and while I never heard anything definite, that song always creeped me out just by association.

It's an urban legend. I thought the Straight Dope had an article on it, but I can't find it. But Wikipedia explains it:

The real source of the scream -- and the origins of the rumor -- were explained by Ohio Player Jimmy "Diamond" Williams: "There is a part in the song where there's a breakdown. It's guitars and it's right before the second verse and Billy Beck does one of those inhaling-type screeches like Minnie Ripperton did to reach her high note or Mariah Carey does to go octaves above. The DJ made this crack and it swept the country. People were asking us, 'Did you kill this chick in the studio?' The band took a vow of silence because that makes you sell more records."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Players

InappropriateHumor
11-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks, Wee Bairn, that's the one. After further research, I found that Fire On High was the title of the cut.

Walloon
11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Williams is being disingenuous. There's a simpler explanation for the scream: it's supposed to sound like someone screaming on a rollercoaster ride. It's a female voice, not Billy Beck, and it was probably added as a sound effect during the mixing of the song, not during the vocals recording.

More at Snopes (http://snopes.com/music/hidden/roller.htm), which includes a sound clip.

JacksonRoykirk
11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Williams is being disingenuous. There's a simpler explanation for the scream: it's supposed to sound like someone screaming on a rollercoaster ride. It's a female voice, not Billy Beck, and it was probably added as a sound effect during the mixing of the song, not during the vocals recording.

More at Snopes (http://snopes.com/music/hidden/roller.htm), which includes a sound clip.

:dubious:

Snopes seems to confirm the Wikipedia explanation, down to the Desmond williams quote.

JacksonRoykirk
11-10-2006, 02:58 PM
:smack:

D'oh!

"Diamond" Williams

Walloon
11-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Snopes just repeats the same Williams quote. But it also calls the voice female.

Miss Mapp
11-10-2006, 02:59 PM
It's an urban legend.

Yes, I do know that now; I figured out years ago it must be. But when we were kids in the 1970s, it was a pretty scary thing to listen for the scream.

lieu
11-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, it's not a song.I know it's instrumental only but the absence of words precludes it from being called a song? Call me embarassed but I actually didn't realize that. Well I'll be...

BubbaDog
11-10-2006, 03:14 PM
As a very small child. Mom and dad had the soundtrack from South Pacific
The haunting notes of Bali Ha'i scared me.

kelly5078
11-10-2006, 03:17 PM
"Riders in the Sky" by Vaughn Monroe. It was an oldie when I was a kid, but occasionally I'd hear it on the radio. Very scary song.

Not a song, but I used to find Ravel's "Bolero" unnerving. I loved it, though.

JacksonRoykirk
11-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Snopes just repeats the same Williams quote. But it also calls the voice female.

Whatever. I wasn't there, and I'll assume neither were you. Pardon me if I accept the word of the band's drummer, who was actually present during the recording.

But whatever floats your boat.

PoorYorick
11-10-2006, 03:26 PM
I had forgotten how truly creepy the scream sounds, especially since it's in the background, almost as if you weren't supposed to hear it. I can definitely understand why a 14 year old angsty, impressionable kid could believe the rumours about someone being killed.

My scariest song when I was a little kid: Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. by Patti Page. Not only had I seen the movie, but the words "I'll love you till you die" creeped the hell out of me.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
11-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Music per se rarely scares me, but I do remember being scared as a kid by a song called "Day After Day", performed by a Calypso-ish band called Shango. Sometime around 1970, IIRC, someone got a scare going that there would be an earthquake that would cause California to break away and sink into the ocean. I think the earthquake was supposed to hit in April of that year. I don't know how the scare originated--might have to start a new thread about it. Anyway, the lyrics I can remember went:

Day after day,
More people come to L.A.
shhhh!
Don't you tell anybody
The whole place is slipping away.

Where can you go,
When there's no San Diego
Better get ready to tie up the boats in Idaho.

(bridge)
Do you know to swim
You better learn quick, Jim!

JacksonRoykirk
11-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Music per se rarely scares me, but I do remember being scared as a kid by a song called "Day After Day", performed by a Calypso-ish band called Shango. Sometime around 1970, IIRC, someone got a scare going that there would be an earthquake that would cause California to break away and sink into the ocean. I think the earthquake was supposed to hit in April of that year. I don't know how the scare originated--might have to start a new thread about it. Anyway, the lyrics I can remember went:

Day after day,
More people come to L.A.
shhhh!
Don't you tell anybody
The whole place is slipping away.

Where can you go,
When there's no San Diego
Better get ready to tie up the boats in Idaho.

(bridge)
Do you know to swim
You better learn quick, Jim!

I remember that song, too. If memory serves me correctly, since I can't find a cite, the title was "The Last Days of the Late, Great, State of California." But hey, who wants to say a title that long?

jsc1953
11-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I love Love Rollercoaster, and it's included it on my Purer Funk compilation. Played it many times...and I've never noticed the scream, even after hearing about this urban legend.

The Doors deliberately tried to be creepy; I can still recite the lyrics to Horse Latitudes, which is about throwing horses overboard on a becalmed ship (despite not having heard the song in 35 years).

Cisco
11-10-2006, 07:11 PM
When I was real young - maybe 3 or 4 - we had a Chevy Celebrity station wagon, the kind with a rear-facing seat in the very back. I loved to sit back there, but my dad liked to take advantage of it.

He would fade the speakers all the way to the back and play Pink Floyd's Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict at full blast, and I had to sit there and endure it because I wasn't allowed to take my seat belt off.

mamboman
11-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I remember the first time I ever heard "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix - that guitar solo didn't scare me, as such, but it changed something inside me, freaked me out and for the longest time I didn't understand the feelings it sparked up inside me.

The music that scared me was the theme to Johnny Quest!!

mm

Suse
11-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Ditto to Zager and Evans' In the Year 2525 and also to Tubular Bells.

Another one that used to freak me out as a kid was Quentin's Theme from Dark Shadows. I remember that when that song played on the show, he would appear. When I heard it on the radio at night in my room, I was just sure that he was going to suddenly appear and scare me to death.

sneezy5660
11-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Angie Baby-by Helen Reddy.

I spent a lot of time in my room, and that song hit a little close to home.

gallows fodder
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Does anyone remember "I Can't Wait," by Nu Shooz....it was on the radio in the mid-'80s, and the chorus had a lot of "doo doo doo doo doo"s in it? Well, anyway, yes! That one! I permanently associated it with a book of ghost stories I was reading the first time I heard it as a wee lass, and from that point onward, it gave me the chills whenever it came on the radio.

Queen Tonya
11-11-2006, 11:47 AM
There was this creepy Carpenters song about aliens, calling occupants of interplanetary craft or some such. It started with a static blast, like you were dialing thru the AM dial and landed on some secret frequency where someone was pleading with the aliens to come get us.

Not realizing it was a song, I really thought my radio had been posessed and we were in imminent probing danger, had to sleep with the light on for weeks.

lieu
11-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Re: Mike Oldfield's Tubular BellsWell, it's not a song.Walloon, friend, can you provide a clarification on this? In a thread specifically asking for songs it's the one you list and then, when agreed with you say in fact it's not but provide no explanation. Was my earlier guess right? The dictionary could go with a lack of words but did not state that specifically.

Just curous and if there's a point to be learned, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Aholibah
11-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I can remember being pretty terrified by one or two sections of Peter and the Wolf when I was little. We had an LP of, I guess, the Disney version, with Mickey Rooney narrating, IIRC. Not sure whether this counts, under the possibly stringent definition of "song" that has been suggested here, but figured I'd toss it into the mix anyway.

Aholibah
11-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Ah, no -- a quick check of Wikipedia suggests that the voice I recall was that of Sterling Holloway, who ended up voicing Winnie the Pooh.

Walloon
11-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Just curous and if there's a point to be learned, I'm all ears. Thanks.A song has words, and "Tubular Bells" does not. Although the thread title asked for songs, I submitted "Tubular Bells" because it was a Top 10 radio single in 1974.

jayjay
11-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Can we just assume that, in a thread that isn't dedicated to formal music theory, the word "song" refers to any relatively short musical piece, instrumental or vocal, since that's the way it's used by just about everyone outside of technical discussions?

Because, frankly, harping on the technical definition of the word "song" in an informal discussion is the height of pedantry.

Walloon
11-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Unless you count the narration on the full-length version of Tubular Bells ("Two slightly distorted guitars. . . Madolin!").

Walloon
11-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Sounds like someone is having a cranky day.

FriarTed
11-11-2006, 02:52 PM
There was this creepy Carpenters song about aliens, calling occupants of interplanetary craft or some such. It started with a static blast, like you were dialing thru the AM dial and landed on some secret frequency where someone was pleading with the aliens to come get us.

Not realizing it was a song, I really thought my radio had been posessed and we were in imminent probing danger, had to sleep with the light on for weeks.

It was indeed "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" (originally by Klaatu,
but based on a telepathic message sent by 1950s "alien contactee/spirit medium" George Hunt Williamson & his followers.) I don't think my single of the Carpenters version has the static blast.

Misnomer
11-11-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not very surprised that I get to be the first to mention the following: The Beach Boys' Good Vibrations.

Lemme 'splain: My parents were big into oldies music when I was a kid, and for a while I was, too. It wasn't unusual for me to fall asleep listening to an oldies station. Well, you know that part in Good Vibrations that has no words, and that weird "vibration" sound? To my young ears it sounded just like the sound of the UFO on that episode of The Brady Bunch (you know the one I mean?). I guess that episode scared me, and for a while after seeing it I couldn't listen to that song -- if I heard it start I'd turn the radio off. It doesn't scare me anymore, but to this day when I hear that song I think about The Brady Bunch. :)

Laughing Lagomorph
11-11-2006, 11:31 PM
The intro to "Face the Music" is backwards- it says "The music is reversible, time is not. Turn back. Turn back. ...", but ELO did a few songs like this.

I was going to suggest this as the song capybara was referring to. ELO is mostly quite Pop-y, but that one song part does sound pretty satanic.

(BTW capybara, I think you mean Paint it Black, by the Rolling Stones?)

vertize2
11-12-2006, 03:43 AM
tom petty....video and song very disturbing

vertize2
11-12-2006, 03:46 AM
tom petty....video and song very disturbing
don't come around here no more

Dr. Rieux
11-12-2006, 03:49 AM
"Michelle"--The Beatles
"It Was a Very Good Year"--Frank Sinatra
"Caravan" (the jazz standard)
From TV: The themes from "The FBI", "The Virginian", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and "The Outer Limits".

Wisp00
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Not a radio song, but I'm assuming that's okay:

She Floats by Vanessa Carlton

There was a time I was listening to all my music on my crappy laptop speakers, and this wasn't really one of my favorite songs so I would usually be playing around on the computer and never really paid it much attention.

Then one day I was listening to the CD in a portable player with headphones... late at night, of course, drifting off to sleep. All of a sudden comes this piercing, horrifying screaming and scared the ever living beejeebees out of me! I guess the sound quality was better with the headphones and what I thought was just an instrumental part was clearly not. And after that, now that I know the screaming is there, I always hear it and it always freaks me out. Even just now, I played the song to make sure I got the title right, and it made me all nervous listening to it, waiting for the screaming to start.

I guess I don't understand the song, because I don't think the screaming fits at all. It takes you right out.

NDP
08-29-2007, 07:03 PM
The Cranberries' Zombie :p

Wisp00
08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh, no! I'm so sorry... this is such an old thread! I clicked through from another and by the time I finished reading it, I forgot that it was long dead. :smack:

Freudian Slit
08-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Can we make a new thread for scary songs? I'd like to discuss it some more as well, having missed the thread the first time it came around.

Zambini57
08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Some velvet morning when I'm straight
I'm gonna open up your gate
And maybe tell you 'bout Phaedra
How she gave me life
How she made it in
Some velvet morning when I'm straight.

And then it gets REALLY weird.

Shockaholics
08-10-2016, 11:01 AM
I thought Painted Black was spooky, and the keyboard section in. . Runaway (I wa wa wa wa won-duh, why she ran away! or something) but my older sister had something. . . I have no idea what it was-- I want to say ELO but I realize that's highly unlikely (she mostly listened to the pop stuff-- Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Manilow, KISS, etc. . . so I can't image what this would have been)-- but it was like distorted electronic work-- some sort of oscillating synth stuff that reminds me (in my memory) of more modern ambient techno, but it scared the crap out of me. I'd get hysterical whenever she played it and jump up on a couch since I was afraid of touching the floor.
If someone could guess what it was based on this I'd be impressed. Someone could probably determine the exact date of my birth as well from this post.
Summer Madness by Kool & the Gang?

Drunky Smurf
08-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Good thing you revived both threads.

Shockaholics
08-31-2016, 03:02 PM
Still trying to find out what capybara's sister listened to. Maybe it was something by ELP?

Shockaholics
10-31-2017, 07:21 PM
Boris the Spider (http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=33:9rq8b594psbe)[/i] to the list. Creepy Crawly, Creepy Crawly, Creepy Creepy, Crawly Crawly. <shudder>

I first heard it today on the radio and it does creep me out. Maybe it's because it reminds me of the theme to Gigantor/Tetsujin-28, which I CANNOT STAND. (it doesn't creep me out but STILL.)

Best Topics: prodigy email need some sex meteoric iron ring antiderivative cot valerie bertinelli picture shanda lear real disappointment rooms constant static shocks pseudoephedrine expired cocaine shelf life bacon thins oldest democracy auxvasse pronunciation impeach reagan idioms for impossible realtor fucked jakes brakes ambien doesn't work 11 guage starz softcore costco reseller pentel ceramicron hornet suit prince message board chicken rib meat abe vigoda jewish scm muscle strain zodiac bob vaughn absolut peppar vodka define roshambo graying beard southpark the aristocrats edna cintron snopes spanish ads on youtube does microwave kill bacteria what is in raid that kills cockroaches avery 3 x 5 index cards artichoke hearts taste like computer connected to tv cuts off edges how to fix a cracked plastic drain pipe half and half instead of milk ain't that a kick in the head meaning duracell agm battery reviews best pens for writing on skin where to start reading x-men why does my house get so dusty personal training at planet fitness moved to texas drivers license he makes me feel safe strongest race in star trek where to buy litmus paper locally what is a shmoo how many mice are in the world taking community college classes after graduation how to repair leaking pvc pipe joint can you dna test poop worst jeopardy score ever how do you get excel to stop auto formatting dates devry vs university of phoenix ice cream cones walmart bacon number jerry seinfeld you can t con an honest man more holes salt or pepper in heavy traffic areas, you should wave pedestrians across the street if there is no crosswalk. how to remove adhesive residue from skin how to pass state inspection with check engine light on