PDA

View Full Version : I need soapy puns!

Anastasaeon
12-07-2006, 02:44 AM
I need puns! I need clever word play!

I've started making soaps and recently found a company who wants to sell them. However, I need a name! I have everything else ready, they're packaged and in a display case, all set to go... but I am sitting here with only 9 hours left to go, trying to think of a name to stick on the placard that goes in the box. ARGH!

Ones come up with and rejected by my husband and I:

Lyer Lyer
Curl Up & Lye
Slippery Soap

Help me?

Snooooopy
12-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Soaper Duper.

BraheSilver
12-07-2006, 03:24 AM
Lather is the Best Medicine
Best Suds 4Eva
Soap Rings Eternal

Zabali_Clawbane
12-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Lather, rinse, repeat?

Septima
12-07-2006, 03:53 AM
Bubble Trouble?

Zabali_Clawbane
12-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Doubley Bubbley (make certain to spell it this way)

Least Original User Name Ever
12-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Dirty Mouth brand soap.

12-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Bar 'o' Suds, The Exfoliator, Indulgence

I think I'm done now.

tbdi
12-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Cilantro

lieu
12-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Rudolph Soap

100% Rendered Slain Deer

Anastasaeon
12-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Soap Rings Eternal

These two are in the running, and my husband seems to have sparked a fondness for Lyer, Lyer once again. Me, I'm too excited/exhausted to make a reasonable decision, so I'm going to run these by my co-workers at the store. Popular vote is likely to win, unless I suddenly come back to life. I've worked so hard on this all week since finding out, getting enough soap ready to go out, and now my brain just decided to take a vacation. Between this and the "homework" for my regular job, I'm toasted.

LOUNE - if I used "Dirty Mouth", I'd have to get that chick from the Orbit white commercials. But then you'd never see her again, because I'd keep her.

12-07-2006, 12:24 PM
So, you DON'T want to use "Dirty Mouth" because you DON'T want the blond girl from the Orbit commercials?

How does that work? Do you not covet her?

It sounds like you're naming it "Dirty Mouth".

Anastasaeon
12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
So, you DON'T want to use "Dirty Mouth" because you DON'T want the blond girl from the Orbit commercials?

How does that work? Do you not covet her?

It sounds like you're naming it "Dirty Mouth".

Nah, I'd be keeping her away from the rest of the world, and that's just not fair. Though shalt not covet thy neighbour's dirty soapy wife, or somesuch.

12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Meh. If it were me, I'd covet, take, stuff under my arm, and stash under my bed.

Just sayin'.

Ethilrist
12-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Frothy Goodness. "Soap so good you'll want to wash your mouth out with it."

12-07-2006, 12:48 PM
What about "Angel's Turd"?

Gangster Octopus
12-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Soap, Dope.

Mindfield
12-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Thrills!

(You know ... based on "The Gum That Tastes Like Soap" It's a Canadian thing for those unaware)

Slypork
12-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Frothy, the Soapman – OK, it’s seasonal.

Soap-positories – You’ll never be a dirty bum!

Aria – when you want a soap opera.

Slypork
12-07-2006, 01:15 PM
A couple more:
Soap Benedict – Leader of the Holy Foamin’ Empire!
Doc OCS – For when you have a compulsion to wash your hands.
Lather & Lace – The soap that’s strong yet tender.

Bumbazine
12-07-2006, 02:42 PM
So, wadja pick?

When we first went into the soap business I wanted to use Soapy Sales, but it turned out it was already being used.
I don't remember what else we thought of, except The Soap Bar. (We're a brick and mortar business.)

Good luck.

Harmonious Discord
12-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Ralphy's Favorite Christmas Soap

Santo Rugger
12-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, I sent in ten puns, hoping one would win... but sadly, no pun in ten did. :(

Anastasaeon
12-07-2006, 10:49 PM
So, wadja pick?

Good luck.

Thank you, thank you, and I got an extra day to think up a name. I left some samples, but the owner wasn't in today, and I need to show her my display, etc. The manager thinks it's good, though.

Keep 'em coming! Mr. Stasaeon is particularly fond of "Lather is the best medicine", but we've been laughing ourselves silly over some of these contributions. Soap Benedict - HA! I am slain.

E. Thorp
12-07-2006, 11:49 PM
In Ballard, "Soap Springs Eternal" and "Dirty Mouth" are the only feasible choices so far. Think Archie McPhee.

(Personally I'm partial to "Holy Foamin' Empire," if only it reminds me of a travel website I wanted to start: "Wholly Roamin' Empire.")

Soap Floats
The Soap Must Dye
Let Soapy Dogs Lye
Soapendous
Film at Eleven
Soapmobile
Scrubs (or some copyright-indulgent variation: Scrubz, Skrubz, etc.)

Nanoda
12-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Clearly I'm not much of a cunning linguist. I've got:
Sudsational
I'd Lather be watching my Soaps
No place like Foam

Soapy words that I was using:
Soap, Lather, Lye, Suds, Rinse, Clean, Squeaky, scrub, deterge, foam, froth, effervescence, slippery... that's about all I can come up with.

Mindfield: Ah Thrills. Their motto: "It tastes like soap!". Which is how you describe it to people who haven't tried it, and what they invariably say regardless when they eventually do.
E. Thorp: Film at Eleven: I don't get it... no... hmm... wait, I think I... booooo! :p

Anastasaeon
12-08-2006, 01:33 AM
Final contenders, after my husband and I meticulously sorted through (and there were so many damn good ones):

Film at Eleven (I howled)
Soap Rings Eternal
and, oddly, back in the running,
Lyer, Lyer

Mr. Stasaeon is leaning towards Lyer, Lyer, because it is short and easy (like my last boyfriend! Ba da bum *crash*). He keeps tripping over Lather is the Best Medicine, as he keeps trying to say laughter, naturally. Bit of a tongue-twister. He wonders if soap rings are something I want to promote. But hey, as E. Thorp points out, this is Ballard. We're into the weird. Film at Eleven might go over people's heads a little, or be mistaken for another type of shop. I soap-ose (ar! ar!) that's the beauty of it.

You guys are friggin' awesome. I knew I could count on the Dopers for cleverness. :cool:

Manatee
12-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Is it too late to suggest "Bar None"?

Sternvogel
12-08-2006, 09:51 AM
If all the world were enrolled at the SDMB, you'd have to go with Soapiness Ensues (with the accent on the second sytllable of soapiness, of course). Of course, you could eventually market some appropriately-shaped novelty foamers under that name...

Encinitas
12-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Is it too late to suggest Opera Soap?

rjk
12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Do these suggestions have to be clean?

Anyway:

The Darling Suds of May
Foam, Sweet Foam
Bar One

Rigamarole
12-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Soapageddon, bringing an end to dirt as we know it.

12-08-2006, 04:50 PM
What about "Jailtime Aphrodisiac?"

Yllaria
12-08-2006, 05:00 PM
I can't believe that no one has suggested The Straight Soap.

How about:

Lather Bar
Not on a Rope
Welcome Foam
Quantum Foam
Foam Sweet Foam
There's No Place Like Foam (I know, too wordy - had to do it, though)
Soap-a-rific
S.O.P.
or
Soap-isticated?

12-08-2006, 05:03 PM
:smack:

Beadalin
12-08-2006, 05:17 PM
What about "Jailtime Aphrodisiac?"
I was gonna go with Don't Drop :D

And since you're in Ballard, maybe it oughtta be Foam, Swede Foam.

Plynck
12-08-2006, 05:40 PM
I was gonna go with Don't Drop :DAnd I was going to go with "Ben Dover: Worth Picking Up!" :D

CilantroGood one! (For those who missed the discussion.) (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=398491)

MagicEyes
12-08-2006, 07:20 PM
I like "Soap du Jour." I was going to suggest "Soapy Sales," but that's already been done.

don't ask
12-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Soap 'N Attem.
Like Suds through the Hourglass.
Sure Does.

Anastasaeon
12-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Welp, folks, I've made the placard and it says:

Lyer,
Lyer

Soap by [me]

yada yada

Made in Seattle

[phone number]
[email]

Impressive, huh? :p

Sorry - stuck with the original. I loved, loved, loved all of the suggestions, and I thank everyone for their help. It was a lot of fun, and I'm glad for your contributions, as they helped me out enormously. It was really close by the end of it, between Lyer, Lyer and Lather is the Best Medicine. And I was really hot for Soap Benedict or just plain Holy Foamin' Empire. After consulting with my co-workers, the scale tipped in favour of Lyer, Lyer, and so it is.

Thanks, Soapers.

Best Topics: creme savers amazon typed signature does aluminum float collapsed jugular vein college beanies guldpalm pillow tight as a british chips judo body 3m forcefield civ5 national college habanero leaves diarrhea songs starbound tvtropes mystic retriever ffxi sabotage origin hot gorgeous twin puppy names suppose vs supposed dingus origin cartoon milf french waiter harshest cigarette chefmate hand mixer air france 296 kamel red wiki icecream van music oranges poranges gerald rudolff ford fancy feast reviews 1998 rav4 mpg rusted toilet bolts what is simulating the count how strong can a human get tensile strength of paracord i for one welcome our new russian overlords why do sailors wear bell bottom pants coffee in other languages difference between redneck and hillbilly why are europe and asia considered separate continents barnes and noble shipping time does walmart sell rat poison les schwab credit cards how to recycle a microwave oven where do you find boric acid what is a wry sense of humor songs that say baby dryer starts then stops after few seconds put english on the ball cars that look like ferraris my other brother daryl best smelling aromatic pipe tobacco what temperature does alcohol freeze in fahrenheit blind side christmas card scene my word bbc mp3 running from the cops chest that goes at foot of bed pet heating pad non electric can you save ps1 games on ps2 memory cards walmart cash register practice laptops with 9 pin serial port can post nasal drip cause chest congestion ground beef 3 days past sell by date can a dealership get a car from another dealership