PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla vs. French Vanilla

Patty O'Furniture
01-03-2007, 11:03 AM
What's the difference in taste between these two? I think "French Vanilla" is used to describe custard-like desserts that have a vanilla flavor. I'm looking to pick up a few bottles of Torani flavored syrups (http://torani.com/create/fpsyrups.shtml) and noticed they have Vanilla, French Vanilla and Vanilla Bean all listed.

Based on the nutrition info, it looks like Vanilla is the sweetest with 19 grams of sugar compared to 17 for both French Vanilla and Vanilla Bean. I'm looking for the one that is going to have the strongest & cleanest vanilla aroma & flavor.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
From wikpedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla#Specific_types_of_vanilla)
The term French vanilla is often used to designate preparations that actually have a strong vanilla aroma, and contain vanilla grains, but originates from the French style of making ice cream custard base with vanilla beans, cream, and egg yolks.
Vanilla beans have the strongest vanilla flavor but who knows what you could be getting with prepared syrups? I suspect the difference between those choices is negligible.

Skywatcher
01-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I think "French Vanilla" is used to describe custard-like desserts that have a vanilla flavor.Vanilla, cream, and egg yolk flavor, to be specific.

Skywatcher
01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Oh, never mind. Didn't notice DtC quoted Wiki.

LANmom
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
What's the difference in taste between these two? I think "French Vanilla" is used to describe custard-like desserts that have a vanilla flavor. I'm looking to pick up a few bottles of Torani flavored syrups (http://torani.com/create/fpsyrups.shtml) and noticed they have Vanilla, French Vanilla and Vanilla Bean all listed.

Based on the nutrition info, it looks like Vanilla is the sweetest with 19 grams of sugar compared to 17 for both French Vanilla and Vanilla Bean. I'm looking for the one that is going to have the strongest & cleanest vanilla aroma & flavor.
I find French Vanilla ice creams taste very eggy.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
01-03-2007, 11:53 AM
As LANmom says, french vanilla is creamier because of the added eggs. Some like it some don't. C'est la vie.

MrSquishy
01-03-2007, 11:58 AM
As LANmom says, french vanilla is creamier because of the added eggs. Some like it some don't. C'est la vie.Or perhaps vive la différence! :)

MissMossie
01-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Depending on what you're planning on using the syrup for, it may be cheaper and better tasting to just make your own vanilla flavored simple syrup. I like flavored coffee, but the ingredient lists for flavored creamers weirds me out (shouldn't creamers have some sort of dairy product in them?!), so I keep homemade syrups in the fridge to add to my coffee when the mood strikes. Simply boil one part water and stir in two parts sugar until it dissolves completely. Add flavoring and store. For a strong vanilla flavor, I use split vanilla beans. To store the syrups, I use condiment bottles that can be purchased at most dollar stores or super-stores (like Wal*Mart or K-Mart) and keep them in the fridge.

Simple syrups work well for coffee and mixed drinks, but I've been told that they're too heavy for Italian Sodas, but I imagine that could be fixed by adjusting the amount of water used.

bienville
01-03-2007, 12:37 PM
If you supported the troops, you'd forget all about Frech Vanilla and instead start using Freedom Vanilla.

gigi
01-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Or perhaps vive la différence! :)
French vanilla has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
01-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Well, goddamnit all you french speaking bastids, Bill O'Reilly is onto you and you can't hide! Oh, ooops, is that over?

iluvurmom
01-04-2007, 12:01 PM
French vanilla is sweeter I prefer regular Vanilla

Best Topics: wheelchair guys carmax experience creme de almond canned chilli guys boxers arrow fletching feathers define roshambo ejaculation in space endorsement stamp requirements japanese maru emergen c wiki is teller mute boys came tontine legal surveying works heating oil diesel police badge numbers refrigerating coffee tv radiation wireless mouse interference sae definition tools snakes in vietnam sesterces to usd btg urban dictionary debra paget 2012 plastic popsicles werewolf abilities immortality vtech bugsby redemption song meaning piano tuner costs airport body scanners false positive the four monkeys hear no evil can you put champagne in the freezer how to combine shipping ebay 19th century british naval uniforms do dogs get cramps what time does usps pick up mail from mailboxes really thick facial hair is hawaii part of america why does my cat like bread los locos kick your face dual citizenship philippines disadvantages russian bullet proof vest dishwasher pods vs powder dog commands in spanish toyota camry front strut replacement cost sharp pain when i turn my head images of water molecules water tower falls over how quickly do tranquilizer darts work what does dick taste like? what does s.s. mean on ships gary oldman as sirius black why is a stove called a range natural asian hair colors why does yahoo mail require a phone number coal mine exhibit museum of science and industry the ninth gate ending explained left chest pain after eating los locos kick your ass does smoking make your voice deeper why do they call jail the pokey burp throw up in my mouth why can't i get my stitches wet wolverine attacks on humans high blood pressure military