PDA

View Full Version : Need a "hollow letters" font

NoCoolUserName
02-05-2007, 04:20 PM
My daughter (just turned 5) has a visual problem such that she has trouble drawing letters. She can, however, stay inside the lines when she draws. I'm hoping that I can find a font where the letters are hollow and she can just stay inside the lines to write the letters. I think it will give her some confidence and do some reflex training so eventually she can write letters on her own.

Does anyone know of a free or low-cost font like that?

freckafree
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
My daughter (just turned 5) has a visual problem such that she has trouble drawing letters. She can, however, stay inside the lines when she draws. I'm hoping that I can find a font where the letters are hollow and she can just stay inside the lines to write the letters. I think it will give her some confidence and do some reflex training so eventually she can write letters on her own.

Does anyone know of a free or low-cost font like that?

I think you might be able to achieve what you want by picking a simple, sans serif font like Arial and, under character formatting, applying the "outline" format. It's one of the options like "shadow," etc.

Don't fight the hypothetical
02-05-2007, 04:36 PM
You should be able find one here (http://dafont.com/).
They're free for personal use.

zut
02-05-2007, 04:41 PM
MS Word also has "Word Art," where you can warp and twist and color letters. I assume it's intented for banners and so forth. Anyway, their base font style is a large-point outline, which sounds like just what you need.

panache45
02-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I think you might be able to achieve what you want by picking a simple, sans serif font like Arial and, under character formatting, applying the "outline" format. It's one of the options like "shadow," etc.
Since she's only 5, I'd recommend an outline of Futura (or Limerick), rather than Arial.

WhyNot
02-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't see either Futura or Limerick on my edition of Word, but Century Gothic, sized up to 16 point or more, bolded and then turned into outline is just about perfect for the style of letters my kids had to learn. No flag on the a, nice rounded round bits and straight legs. Bolding is important - it gives more space between the outlines.

wolf_meister
02-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Have you tried looking at Desdemona font?
I think this is just what you want.

panache45
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Have you tried looking at Desdemona font?
I think this is just what you want.
Of all the outline fonts available, do you really want a 5-year-old to learn to make letters like that?

Stick with something really basic, like Futura.

gotpasswords
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
As much as I hate it, and as much as it deserves to die, Comic Sans would work well for this as it looks like kids' writing, and should be on any Windows PC by default.

Type up your words or alphabets, then at the top menu, select Format, then Font, and somewhere in the middle of the window will be an Outline option. Check it, and at the top, set it as something like 18 point bold.

NoCoolUserName
02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks. Y'all rock. I had no idea about the outline option.

groman
02-05-2007, 11:51 PM
I recommend Andika Font (http://sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=119). Most word processing software will have "Outline" as an option.

NoCoolUserName
02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
I recommend Andika Font (http://sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=119). Most word processing software will have "Outline" as an option.Perfect! Thank you! The Andika B is exactly what I need--no curve on the t, for example, very simple.

Best Topics: dragons crunchy ketchup government cheese text message board hammerhead stall why turn rotors i hate bdsm is raid safe streight dope flashbang hotsauce cheers opening photos hemnes desk review 4f draft bar ditch origin momma or mamma regent jarts gbgb club iwon tv tetrodotoxin zombie newspaper column names ff12 vanish rash shirt ingrown hair bruise napa rotor turning papaya flavor icicle murder lions vs wolves kamora vs kahlua tylenol 3 canada flinstones names poboys restaurant one leg shorter than the other chiropractor where is corn syrup in the grocery store terminal velocity in water statute of limitation on murders how to lure a bat out of hiding can i send a letter without return address cat meows but no sound why does yahoo mail require a phone number bob gray stephen king i had a mini stroke now what how to circulate air conditioning in apartment one hour photo ending foot and leg massager for diabetics how to install ceiling light without junction box morse code on police scanner does lucifer have a wife gift for new citizen mythbusters credit card magnet episode greta van susteren facial paralysis does worcestershire sauce expire melanie safka gather me who is john jacob jingleheimer schmidt is brown sugar bad for dogs how to stretch wool sweaters geek squad audio install bringing home a baby bumblebee cartoon what kind of doctor does a vasectomy deus ex human revolution best ending where do celsius and fahrenheit meet oliver lynch osceola county driveway why do peanut butter cookies have criss cross how to get married in a church you don't belong to febreze commercial carl vs josh