PDA

View Full Version : David Stewart Found Not Guilty (Accused of the McDonald's Strip Search Con)

Bricker
02-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Previous thread on the topic (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=339207) here.

In brief: a man claiming to be a cop calls a McDonald's restuarant and talks the manager into detaining one of her employees, an 18-year-old girl, on suspicion of theft. The pseudo-cop then orders the manager to perform a strip search, and continues the orders; the scene culminates with the manager's fiance being ordered by a voice on the phone to spank the girl and demand oral sex from her, which he does. The entire episode is captured on the restaurant's video security system. It ended when the manager called her supervisor, who the fake cop claimed was on the phone with him the whole time, and discovered she was asleep at home.

The man arrested and charged with being the fake cop, a Florida resident named David Stewart, was found not guilty in November. I bring this up again because we had a pretty lively thread in 2005 about this case, and not any reaction to the acquittal.

blinkingblinking
02-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I read that thread with interest. Any cite for the new report ?
Why wasn't the person who strip-searched the girl also charged?

smiling bandit
02-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Good night. Even if David Stewart is guilty (not having seen the evidence against him I can't say), anyone who'd be stupid enough to either put up with this nonsense (try getting me to stand still while you strip-search me!) or actually obey it seems like the real criminal.

Hal Briston
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I know there's already been a call for a cite, but I'll double it. Factiva, Yahoo News and Google News searches all turn up nothing on the subject.

Tapioca Dextrin
02-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Wiki says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R._Stewart)

A jury found Stewart not guilty.[3]

[3] is a dead link :smack:

E-Sabbath
02-21-2007, 06:59 PM
http://courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060316/NEWS01/603160403
The man who abused the teen got five years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R._Stewart
Wiki says he was acquitted of all charges, Oct 31.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2684890&page=1
Here's the trial. Basically, the jury decided there wasn't enough evidence to prove Stewart made the calls.

Steve MB
02-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I read that thread with interest. Any cite for the new report ?
Why wasn't the person who strip-searched the girl also charged?
Really -- surely he couldn't possibly claim to have reasonably believed that the guy on the other end of the phone was actually a cop....

Steve MB
02-22-2007, 07:51 AM
http://courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060316/NEWS01/603160403
The man who abused the teen got five years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R._Stewart
Wiki says he was acquitted of all charges, Oct 31.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2684890&page=1
Here's the trial. Basically, the jury decided there wasn't enough evidence to prove Stewart made the calls.
OK; that makes more sense of it. Thanks.

Monty
02-22-2007, 07:57 AM
What crime could the person making the phone call actually been guilty of? The only thing that comes to mind is indecent phone call (or whatever the actual term for that is).

Rilchiam
02-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Fraud? Impersonating an officer? Harassment?

Mellivora capensis
02-22-2007, 08:12 AM
What crime could the person making the phone call actually been guilty of? The only thing that comes to mind is indecent phone call (or whatever the actual term for that is).

I believe the term in this case is spank call.

tdn
02-22-2007, 09:11 AM
I believe the term in this case is spank call.
Or a yank my crank call.

Monty
02-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Wouldn't that be "spank the skank" call?

I know that's just wrong, but I couldn't resist the rhyming.

Cervaise
02-22-2007, 11:53 AM
This prank is frankly rank.

Lightnin'
02-22-2007, 12:12 PM
This prank is frankly rank.

Ya thank?

Manatee
02-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Ya thank?

Manatee
02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
D'oh! I stank! And you can take that to the bank.

Nancarrow
02-22-2007, 12:17 PM
ENOUGH!!! :mad:

Damn Yanks.

Cervaise
02-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey, it's not our fault you're shooting blanks.

EddyTeddyFreddy
02-22-2007, 01:57 PM
And anyway, who gored your flank?

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-22-2007, 04:52 PM
And anyway, who gored your flank?
Hank.

smiling bandit
02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
This joke should be run over by a tank driven by a British wank.

Taber
02-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I think we're getting carried away with the puns. We need to focus on the OP, who says David Stewart won't be spending time in the clank.

Edit: oops clank isn't slang for prison, clink is, isn't it

Malacandra
02-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Looks like this thread already sank.

Monty
02-23-2007, 06:44 AM
Edit: oops clank isn't slang for prison, clink is, isn't it

You should've gone with tank (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/jail).

Snarky_Kong
02-23-2007, 09:30 AM
You should've gone with tank (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/jail).

Well, the next time I need a synonym for prison I'll know who to thank.

Mellivora capensis
02-23-2007, 10:33 AM
::rumble rumble::

Field Marshall Montgomery: "What's that noise?".
Lieutenant: "Many tanks!"
Field Marshall Montgomery: "You're welcome, Lieutenant, but what's that noise?"

stretch
02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Sorry to break into the punfest, but I just watched the surveillance video and sweet Og, I still can't believe that the asshole manager and her fiance did this horrible thing.

I remember the original thread and was aghast then, but now, having seen the video...it just makes me sad. That poor girl! I'd like to think that now, at 40, I'd be more than willing to run through a McD's naked and screaming*, after I ripped Wes's balls off, but I can see how a teenage girl would be terrified to make a move.

People suck.

*I can't see how I'd ever get into that situation, but still.

SenorBeef
02-24-2007, 10:27 AM
What a silly case. But I guess the lawyers were laughing all the way to the bank.

Sevastopol
02-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey, if it's fine by Annie Lennox, it's fine by me.

Aeschines
02-25-2007, 03:51 AM
These people must all be retarded. Who would think that part of a strip search is giving/getting a blow job?!

All IQs below 60!

Autolycus
02-25-2007, 03:59 AM
Who would think that part of a strip search is giving/getting a blow job?!

If that was the case, I imagine things would get very interesting very fast at airport security:

Pad, pad, pad, pad, Oh... Excuse me sir, are you carrying a package? I need to investigate it. Let me just.. reach around a bit there....

Oh my god it's growing! It's armed! Everyone clear the building, this guy is loaded!

Wait, I didnt say *you* could leave, sir. I have to investigate this further......

stretch
02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Hey, if it's fine by Annie Lennox, it's fine by me.
I read this last night, and was all "WTF? Did he post in the wrong thread?"

This morning, I got it. :smack:

kimera
02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
These people must all be retarded. Who would think that part of a strip search is giving/getting a blow job?!

We studied this case in my psychology class. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. In fact, honor students (which this girl was iirc) tend to be more obedient when asked to do "odd" things because they are used to complying with authority. It's easy to point and laugh and consider them mentally retarded instead of facing the terrifying truth of how easily people can be persuaded by even flimsy displays of authority.

kimera
02-26-2007, 12:11 AM
I just doubled checked and she wasn't the one that was an honor student (this was just one of many cases). Here (http://courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051009/NEWS01/510090392) is a link that discusses the famous Milgram Power of Authority study.

Pushkin
02-26-2007, 07:17 AM

It would only be really retarded if the unfortunate girl complied.

SenorBeef
02-26-2007, 07:40 AM
It's not necesarily dumb, but rather, unthinking.

There's a push in modern society to train people to respond unquestioningly to authority. People with free thinking independent mindset are somewhat outcast in a society that demands complacent drones.

But, I mean, really... what the hell?

I mean, maybe the manager guy wanted to abuse this poor girl, and the fake call somehow enabled him to have an internal excuse that let him pressure her, and she was pressured by him, but.. still, the girl isn't 11 years old.

There's no sympathy deserved here as far as I can see, anymore than I'd feel sorry for someone if I said "hey, touch this hot burning stove! it'll burn your hand!" and they did.

Man, I have no doubt in the stupidity and spinelessness of people, but I still have a hard time believing that this is real.

Did it multiple times to multiple people, and they all complied?

Didn't anyone involved in the whole process say "um... wtf?"

"On Jan. 26, 2003, according a police report in Davenport, Iowa, an assistant manager at an Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar conducted a degrading 90-minute search of a waitress at the behest of a caller who said he was a regional manager -- even though the man had called collect, and despite the fact the assistant manager had read a company memo warning about hoax calls just a month earlier. He later told police he'd forgotten about the memo. "

Are you fucking kidding?

SenorBeef
02-26-2007, 08:04 AM
No.

I read the rest of the article.

This is some kind of joke, right?

I'm not a person who has great faith in the general intelligence and decency of humanity, quite the opposite, but even I can't believe this is real. No way.

Maybe one in a million people could be manipulated in that way.... but dozens?

I mean....

er....

okay then.

"Although a McDonald's security executive had sent a 10- to 15-second voice message to every store in the region about hoax calls about a week before the Mount Washington incident, Siddons, the manager there, said in her deposition that it didn't mention strip-searches. "

Okay, so there were warnings saying "be on the lookout for unusual people calling asking you to do weird things" I'm guessing, but since they didn't mention strip searches, they served no warning at all.

I mean.. there are like 82 levels of thought, any one of which would tell you "hey, something is wrong here, abort!" and it would only take one.

"The company also failed to execute a plan it had developed to send warning stickers to be placed on the headset and cradle of the phone in every store, Peaster, McDonald's global security director, said in a deposition."

YOU NEED STICKERS ON THE PHONE TO REALIZE "HI I'M A COP NOW DO HORRIBLE THINGS" MIGHT NOT BE LEGIT?

*retires from humanity*

Knowing our society, maybe she'll win 5 million dollars from her lawsuit. Bizarre.

If the manager used physical intimidation, then he deserves more punishment than the caller. I mean - if I say "hey, kill that guy over there" to a stranger, and you do, you're more at fault than I am.

Cervaise
02-26-2007, 10:43 AM
if I say "hey, kill that guy over there" to a stranger, and you do, you're more at fault than I am.Read up on the Milgram experiments, mentioned briefly in kimera's link above, with more information here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment). It's fascinating and depressing in equal measure.

SenorBeef
02-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Read up on the Milgram experiments, mentioned briefly in kimera's link above, with more information here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment). It's fascinating and depressing in equal measure.

I have, but I don't view the situations as analogous.

In the Milgrim experiment, the person you're hurting was supposed to have volunteered for the experiment, knowing that they'd be hurt. Given that scenario, I don't find it all that surprising that people were willing to continue on with the experiments that the subjects were volunteering to do. While it is indeed depressing how easily people are ordered around and submit themselves to authority figures, I don't see the Milgrim experiment as a particularly bad example of that.

This, though, is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

Cervaise
02-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't view the situations as analogous.Not directly, no. But "this person deserves what's coming to them" covers a lot of ground, whether it's a volunteer in an experiment or a lying, thieving kid.

SenorBeef
02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Not directly, no. But "this person deserves what's coming to them" covers a lot of ground, whether it's a volunteer in an experiment or a lying, thieving kid.

I get a different impression from both.

For the Milgram experiment, it seems that they told them applying a certain amount of pain was necesary to conduct the experiment. And therefore, to properly conduct the experiment, which the "victims" volunteered for, they person who volunteered for the experiment would have to obediently increase the voltage. So, if you think that it's necesary to get the proper results from the experiment, and you also think that the "victim" knows this and consents to it, then I don't see that there necesarily has to be malice or sadism in conducting the experiment. I could see myself shocking the hell out of someone in the Milgram experiment because it was within the bounds of everything that we consented to, and I definitely don't view myself as subservient to authority. If the victim said "ok, I quit, I want out", though, I would stop it. But if they just appeared to be in pain, but still consenting to it - then yeah, sure, I'd shock them.

I do, though, believe that people can be far too subservient to authority. But I'd like a more conclusive and less ambiguous experiment to examine it.

As for this incident - I don't know if the the aggressors in the situation were secretly enjoying it and wanted to continue the searches or not. The article makes it sound as if they hated what they were doing, wanted to stop, thought it was wrong, but still kept doing it anyway. That's far, far more fucked up than the Milgram experiment.

kimera
02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
If the victim said "ok, I quit, I want out", though, I would stop it. But if they just appeared to be in pain, but still consenting to it - then yeah, sure, I'd shock them.

They did say that they wanted out. They also claimed that they had a heart condition. At 150 volts the person "being shocked" said "Experimenter! That's all. Get me out of here. I told you I had heart trouble. My heart's starting to bother me. I refuse to go on. Let me out." This was when the person thought they were giving only 150 volts. As the volts increased, the protests and the screams of pain increased. After 330 volts, the person in the other room stopped screaming or saying anything.

Before this experiment was done, Milgram went around and asked a bunch of people when the subjects would refuse to obey authority. All of those he pulled before the experiment said that the the subjects would stop before 450 volts, many said that they would refuse at 150 volts. However, not a single one stopped before the 300 volt level.

gigi
03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Not directly, no. But "this person deserves what's coming to them" covers a lot of ground, whether it's a volunteer in an experiment or a lying, thieving kid.Or a foreign enemy of your country.

Zebra
03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
What evidence was presented to show he made the call. I presume phone records showed that a call was placed from his line to the store. Did the manager identify his voice?

Can his victims persue a civil suit?

Cheesesteak
03-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I think the call was from a pay phone, using a calling card they were able to show he purchased. Not exactly a smoking gun but pretty persuasive.

Best Topics: bipedal werewolf open cat scan victorian chamber pot sell walnut tree bolts home depot chubb institute heperin shots catherine rovera pelzer qing pronounce define noogie legal envelope keeping crickets buy caltrop sock masturbation partial container shipping indian 711 drop amps compound w burning do dianthus spread avast revoked certificate blade pearl mystery shop gigs robert vaughn commercial prison bubba american marten pet wizard portraits asc credits the simpsons thanksgiving meaning of 700 rotating tempurpedic mattress vinnie boombatz suffixes for cities can you catch a cold from having intercourse dog eats spicy food andy capp pub fries yabba dabba doo in magic matthew mcconaughey short arms ask me no more questions tell me no more lies how to hang a pinata how long does it take for sterling silver to tarnish water temp to kill germs best fabric dye for cotton replace teeth with gold on the first day of christmas parody 18th century british navy uniforms joe namath panty hose ad how to do general delivery what number is x11 layed off vs laid off where does sperm go after hysterectomy piano 7 year old washing machine has water sitting in it does 7 eleven sell beer why do white people smell like wet dog how to keep cat off bed at night queen song best friend shelf life of almond butter you're welcome in japanese liberty mutual wrong insurance company actor veterans salute during national anthem why is my dog bleeding from her private how tall william shatner black and brown hair what kind of glue to use on foam