PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not have wisdom teeth?

RedRosesForMe
03-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Without having had them removed, of course.

The last time I went to my dentist, after not having gone for several years (damn you astronomically priced insurance!) I got X-rays, and the technician or hygienist or someone asked if I had gone to another doctor to get my wisdom teeth removed.

"Noo...." I answered, puzzled. So she looked at past X-rays and, rather surprised herself, told me I didn't have any. At all. Not that I'm complaining, I hear they're a right pain in the ass.

She said it was odd, occasionally someone will only have 2 or 3, but she'd never seen anyone who didn't have any at all.

Any other freaks of nature out there?

pinkfreud
03-24-2007, 01:14 AM
My sister doesn't have wisdom teeth. She's missing two lateral incisors, too. Ironically, I was born with extra teeth, and had to have oral surgery when I was a child because of the crowding.

CairoCarol
03-24-2007, 03:10 AM
I do not have wisdom teeth, and the dentist who first noted this on x-rays was not particularly surprised. He said it occasionally happens, and jokingly added that it has been theorized that as humans evolve further we will lose our wisdom teeth, so I can consider myself more evolutionarily advanced than most.

I also have 4 (as opposed to the normal 3) roots in some of my molars, which is an anomaly but not unheard of (I read somewhere on the internet that it is related to American Indian ancestry, but I have no idea if the source was reliable).

What really got my dentist going one time, though, was that one of the four nerves in my tooth undergoing a root canal was coiled/kinked in a very odd way he had never seen before. He was a professor at Tufts dental school, and told me that picture of my tooth would be used in his classes.

I get a kick out of thinking that even as I write, dental students somewhere may be gawking at an x-ray of my tooth....

GorillaMan
03-24-2007, 03:14 AM
I'm the other way. I had all four wisdoms (just two removed so far), but only 23 other teeth. My mouth didn't have room for any more. It includes one milk tooth which never got replaced.

My orthodontist told me I had one of the weirdest mouths he'd seen.

DrDeth
03-24-2007, 04:40 AM
I only had three.

Caprese
03-24-2007, 05:36 AM
My dad never had any wisdom teeth. Unfortunately, he did not pass on this trait: I had 3 removed, my son had 4 taken out.

Napier
03-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Not here, too.

liberty3701
03-24-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't have any wisdom teeth and I'm missing 6 molars: four on the bottom, two on the top. I was born that way, a trait from my mom's side of the family. She uses it to claim we're more evolved than everyone else.

Hanna
03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
I only had one, and it didn't give me any problems until I was 33. I had it pulled after it emerged, (at my dentists office,with Novocaine), and that was all.

Helen's Eidolon
03-24-2007, 02:33 PM
No wisdom teeth, and I was congenitally missing the adult tooth to the left of my front tooth. Worked out fine for me - I've never needed oral surgery (unlike my brother).

yBeayf
03-24-2007, 03:14 PM
No wisdom teeth here. My dentist told me he didn't have them, either.

RedRosesForMe
03-24-2007, 05:20 PM
damn, and I thought I was special. But maybe this is a bad sample. maybe we are the next step in human evolution.

ianzin
03-24-2007, 05:30 PM
No wisdom teeth. Otherwise, utterly normal teeth in every respect, and in reasonably good condition given my age.

It's true - we are the next step in human evolution.

I for one welcome our new wisdom-tooth-less overlords...

SSG Schwartz
03-24-2007, 05:38 PM
I appreiciate the confirmation. I got into an arguement with an Army dentist about when I had my wisdom teeth removed. I told him I hadn't had them removed he told my I must have because I don't have any. We went back and forth for a few minutes, and I have been wondering since that time if I had them removed and forgot about it. Seems unlikely, but I do sometimes forget where I park, so I thought maybe.

Sgt Schwartz

BunnyTVS
03-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Nope none here either. I hope I aint got any hiding and waiting to pounce, coz there's not a lot of space left.

Mind, if I'm part of mankinds' next evolutionary leap... The human race is fucked.

Chefguy
03-24-2007, 05:40 PM
No uppers, just lowers.

NurseCarmen
03-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I only had three.me too.

Muffin
03-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't have any wisdom teeth. I also never had one of my adult second bicuspids/premolars, although a baby tooth there lasted until I was twenty-one.

Barbarian
03-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I've got one buried somewhere in the back of my mouth. It's too lazy to do anything though, which is rather wise, because if it moved, it'd be removed.

Runs in the family.

Siam Sam
03-24-2007, 11:28 PM
I had one that grew INTO another tooth. Ouch! It got cut out. That was my only one.

pulykamell
03-25-2007, 02:25 AM
I honestly have no idea. All I know is that I've never had any wisdom teeth removed.

Arrimus_2
03-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I have a wisdom tooth. On the left side. It started several years ago. Dentist thought it should be removed before becoming a nuissance. He didn't. Hasn't caused any problems since (except occassional aches, but those went away when the tooth fully formed).

Sattua
03-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I had the standard four, but I had a friend in high school who didn't have any. And another friend who had six.

What Exit?
03-25-2007, 12:57 PM
I have none and never did.

pulykamell, count your teeth. They should normally range between 28 and 32. If you only have 28, you probably have no wisdom teeth. If you have more than 28 you probably have wisdom teeth. I am sure there are a dozen exceptions, but this is a good rule of thumb.

Jim

pulykamell
03-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I have none and never did.

pulykamell, count your teeth. They should normally range between 28 and 32. If you only have 28, you probably have no wisdom teeth. If you have more than 28 you probably have wisdom teeth. I am sure there are a dozen exceptions, but this is a good rule of thumb.

Jim

I believe I'm counting 14 on the top and bottom (going by feel here), for a grand total of 28.

GorillaMan
03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
damn, and I thought I was special. But maybe this is a bad sample. maybe we are the next step in human evolution.
Does that make me some kind of superhuman mutant, then?

:D

zelie zelerton
03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
None so far but then I still had baby teeth into my early 20s so it's not inconceivable that I'm just slow at growing teeth and they'll pop along at some point.

I did have tinglings a couple years ago and consulted a dentist but he reckoned there wasn't anything going on. I got a very tiny lil toothlet up top but it seems to have stopped coming in. On the other side nothing ever erupted.

What's with the evolutionary thing? What advantage would we gain from not having these teeth? Actually, what advantage do we gain from having them in the first place?

Green Bean
03-26-2007, 03:58 AM
My husband had six! Does this mean he's less evolved?

Come to think of it, he's awfully hairy, too.

Holy crumb! I'm married to the Geico caveman!

Nava
03-26-2007, 06:03 AM
One of my classmates from High School. He was one of the best students, so most of us make variations on the same joke when we hear about this (sorry): "see, that explains your grades, you're a more advanced model!"

Dr. Rieux
03-26-2007, 06:08 AM
So far, I have only one (I'm 47). I'm also short a couple of incisors (I think).

BMalion
03-26-2007, 07:54 AM

I don't have any, and I can read minds.

CandidGamera
03-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I have no wisdom teeth. Never have.

Sleel
03-26-2007, 10:11 PM
What's with the evolutionary thing? What advantage would we gain from not having these teeth? Actually, what advantage do we gain from having them in the first place?

They're mostly just joking. The conventional wisdom ( :D ) is that these late-erupting teeth are meant to replace ones you might have lost or worn down by that time. I think the conventional wisdom is probably wrong in this case, given that early hominids and even later modern humans didn't have cavities very often. Hunter-gatherers had a very low incidence (http://uic.edu/classes/osci/osci590/11_1Epidemiology.htm) of cavities. It isn't until pretty darn late in our history, when we started farming more, that caries started to be a real problem.

In contrast to you deficient people, my toothiness is self-evident. I've got all 32 teeth, though the wisdom teeth did push things forward so that two of my teeth top and bottom in the front are slightly crooked now. I've also got slight fangs on the bottom because of this. <grunt>

robby
03-26-2007, 10:36 PM
I only had three.
me too.
Me three.

Best Topics: polygraph clearance tootsie roll slang dcon mousetraps incest in china dnr meaning alligator intelligence brokeback meaning hdl 92 most poisonous element nickname scooter brandy taste green on thursday nyquil vs zzzquil flatline noise penn speaks cheapest weighted keyboard boyfriend has mono diana moon glampers english throne room buffy harmony presidents poop crank instrument grown assed man peruvian lemon 11x15 cake pan passenger assist handle cinemax real sex valpak mailer american parasite florin country ma vs ms in psychology why are there holes in electrical plugs what can you use in place of nutmeg why are class rings so expensive is it illegal to have sex in your car how to sell a domain name on godaddy google voice convert audio to text being woken up and not remembering why do pigeons bob their heads how to show steam where a game is what socks to wear with cowboy boots do cable splitters go bad is toilet paper sterile can a root canal go bad lightning bolt tattoo meaning are all logitech unifying receivers the same how do i know if i snore non believer in arabic how to fast forward in vlc hang tight over the door rest single form of alumni attach dishwasher to countertop shower step for shaving why does my fire alarm keep going off happy birthday in jewish salt lick for deer illegal making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity worms in ramen noodles what is a sorority paddle what to do with old checks sudafed drowsy side effects brushing teeth with clorox bleach why do ethiopians look different from other africans how to work at a bar