PDA

View Full Version : Can a woman have an adam's apple?

Winston Smith
04-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Seriously. Is this possible?

fisha
04-06-2007, 09:33 AM
I am just laughing my ass off, imagining why you are asking this question.

Kalhoun
04-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Why do you want to know, Winston? :p

Women DO have Adam's Apples. They're just not as pronounced as men's.

Phlosphr
04-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Seriously. Is this possible?

Do you have a certain individual in mind who :dubious: you may have a question about? :)

Marley23
04-06-2007, 09:49 AM
The Adam's Apple is just the larynx, isn't it? Everybody has one.

Phlosphr
04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
The Adam's Apple is just the larynx, isn't it? Everybody has one.
I wish my Mother-in-law didn't.... :rolleyes:

AHunter3
04-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Google "Ann Coulter" + "Adam's apple"

Cowboy8467
04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
I so knew that Ann Coulters' name would be mentioned in this thread sooner or later

brownie55
04-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I so knew that Ann Coulters' name would be mentioned in this thread sooner or later
I resisted at least 15 minutes ago. ;)

Ferret Herder
04-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Haven't ever touched/kissed a woman's throat, I see? :dubious:

Sattua
04-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I had always thought that men had a bone right over their larynxes, which women don't have, and that this bone is what creates the appearance of the adam's apple?

The hyoid bone. Just remembered the name.

matt_mcl
04-06-2007, 11:14 AM
The serious answer is that the Adam's apple is the front part of the larynx. Men tend to have larger larynxes than women, so their Adam's apples tend to be more prominent. But the operative word is "tend," so there are many women who have visible Adam's apples and many men who don't. IANAE but presumably the structure of the neck plays a role in whether the Adam's apple is visible.

Sage Rat
04-06-2007, 11:17 AM
I'll just note that the adam's apple is also known as the "voice box." Yes, women have a voice box; otherwise they wouldn't be able to talk.

engineer_comp_geek
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM
I had always thought that men had a bone right over their larynxes, which women don't have, and that this bone is what creates the appearance of the adam's apple?

Men and women both have a hyoid bone.

Count Blucher
04-06-2007, 11:39 AM
*Notices that 'Lola' by the Kinks is playing on his MP3 player.* :D

TroubleAgain
04-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Men and women both have a hyoid bone.

Yeah, 'cause that's the one that gets broken in manual strangulation. Um. Not that I'd know anything about that.

NinetyWt
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes, women have a voice box; otherwise they wouldn't be able to talk.
That's why I had to laugh at the OP.

Here's an example of an "apple" woman:http://rankincounty.org/TA/

Stranger On A Train
04-06-2007, 01:35 PM

The hyoid bone. Just remembered the name.There is no gross anatomical structure in the human female body outside of the reproductive system that does not have a direct analogue in the human male, and vice versa. It all comes from the same general recipe. Men don't have one less rib than women, either.

As for Coulter, I'm not entirely convinced of her membership in the human race--she strikes me as some kind of freakish human-alien hybrid--but it is certainly possible for women to have a visable larnyx and still be entirely female in all salient ways; as previously noted, men generally have deeper voices, thus the requirement for a larger voicebox to create longer, low frequency sound. Curiously, no one accuses men who lack a visible Adam's apple of being gay or secretly female.

Stranger

Sattua
04-06-2007, 02:23 PM
There is no gross anatomical structure in the human female body outside of the reproductive system that does not have a direct analogue in the human male, and vice versa. It all comes from the same general recipe. Men don't have one less rib than women, either.

Fact accepted, but... never get involved in a land war in Asia. There are species in which the males have a baculum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penile_bone) that the females are missing. So, just because the general map is the same, you can't say that the bones are going to be the same.

Quiddity Glomfuster
04-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I was just watching a Sandra Bullock film last night and was surprised to see how visible hers is. No, I'm not going to sift through numerous photo sites to find one that shows it. You'll have to watch her next film carefully if you want to see it.

fachverwirrt
04-06-2007, 02:55 PM

The adam's apple is the protruding end of the thyroid cartilage, the largest cartilage in the larynx. As many have pointed out, both men and women have the same basic structure of the larynx, including that bit. Men's are just larger.

The hyoid bone, by the way, is the bone at the base of the tongue from which the larynx hangs.

Best Topics: martini no vermouth distilled wine pile of diamonds basilisk image miserable bastard juicy strawberries a for effort alexandra sasha fine ground beef men shave arms bjork attack jason voorhees chainsaw dmv automatic fails sensei pronunciation jl8 archive dosbox alternative least qualified presidents super sour candies carved quartz dramamine to sleep emma maersk propeller oil glasses chicken ravioli sauce old people's names light kidney beans average head height colder than 55 17 glasses crowding the plate mash scully homi meaning utilities monopoly superglue invention dune harkonnen wolfram alpha find equation from points that doesn't even make sense how to fix a jammed car door lock does alcohol and water mix strongest metal for a sword rid x septic system treatment are clorox wipes safe on skin wasp spray extension pole home depot when does a letter get postmarked is having a fast metabolism bad how to break someone's neck a blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm this why we can't have nice things requiem for a dream unrated does hair club really work colder than a witch's tit how do employers verify college degrees what were the 70s like liquid core golf balls nature abhors a vacuum far side how to clean chandeliers on high ceiling is turkey bacon kosher there once was a girl from nantucket my work is done how should a watch fit a woman lik a stix only amazon.com return policy on opened items how common are attached earlobes transferring high schools senior year what is rock lobster song about hyundai accent wheel bearing noise mom rewards son with blowjob