PDA

View Full Version : what does "burr in my saddle mean"?

jduyvun
05-18-2007, 10:05 PM
in an episode of the History Channel's "Masterminds", a frustrated special agent used the phrase "a burr in my saddle" in expressing the difficulty and seemingly bad luck he was having in apprehending a criminal. what does it mean and where did it originate?

Rhubarb
05-18-2007, 10:10 PM
"Burr under my saddle" is a euphemism for a constant nagging irritation. If you were a horse, a burr under the saddle would wear a small open sore in your flesh. Not life threatening, but extremely aggravating. Similar to an itch you can't scratch, but more extreme.

Q.E.D.
05-18-2007, 10:27 PM
A burr in the saddle is exactly what it sounds like: literally "a pain in the ass."

Fear Itself
05-18-2007, 10:49 PM
A burr in the saddle is exactly what it sounds like: literally "a pain in the ass.""A burr under my saddle" is different though. If the burr is under the saddle, it irritates the horse, not the rider, making the horse jumpy and difficult to control. A closer analogy would by, "sticks in my wheels", an annoying impediment that makes your life difficult.

Manduck
05-18-2007, 10:52 PM
In case you don't know what a burr is, here's a picture:

http://sallyacious.com/archives/burr%20web.jpg

That would be uncomfortable under a saddle (for the horse)!

jduyvun
05-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks Everyone.

Manduck, I suppose that would be uncomfortable.

Q.E.D.
05-19-2007, 01:17 AM
"A burr under my saddle" is different though.
Maybe my eyes are going bad. Which one did the OP ask about again?

mangeorge
05-19-2007, 01:54 AM
I've heard that it referred to the old rodeo practice of putting a burr under the saddle of a horse to make him buck more. That, and a strap tight against his balls.
Peace,
mangeorge

Fear Itself
05-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Maybe my eyes are going bad. Which one did the OP ask about again?He asked about the one that no one uses. The more common expression is "burr under my saddle". Google returns only 63 instances of "A burr in my saddle", whereas "A burr under my saddle" returns 2,440 occurrences. I reasonably concluded he may have misheard the reference, and in any case, it was relevant to point out the difference.

Q.E.D.
05-19-2007, 02:25 PM
You must be using a different version of Google than I am. I get 2450 "under" vs. 1360 "in".

05-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I get 516 for "burr under my saddle" and 2290 for "burr in my saddle".

Edit: For completeness 6 results for "burr on my saddle"

Fear Itself
05-19-2007, 03:16 PM
You must be using a different version of Google than I am. I get 2450 "under" vs. 1360 "in".I have no idea what version of google you use. I googled "A burr in my saddle", versus "A burr under my saddle" . Whichever version you use, "under" is more popular than "in", and that is why I pointed out the distinction..

05-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Incidentally a search for "burr ** my saddle" gives 216 000 results, many of which are variations on the "under" form.

"burr ** under my saddle" gives 14 100 results
"burr ** in my saddle" gives one result.

So, I don't know what the deal is with the previous results, but "under" is definitely the more common location for burrs in relation to saddles.

mangeorge
05-19-2007, 05:26 PM
This thread is the first time I've ever heard the "in" version.

Best Topics: ducky mallard floating neutral generator soul patches drawstring bed sheets anal baby mechanic check scooter names song lowdown mad scientist songs laughing fart beastmaster tiger died 3.5 baleful polymorph three hole bricks quarter currency snakes in vietnam cable clutch hipster fedora clear waivers boobs in airplane chitterlings smell ebay jarts anchoring landscape timbers poems about prejudice jet engine rpm coolest bible quotes brass knuckles damage bi stands for snort caffeine powder tough country songs 40k alignment chart kashyyyk kotor father refuses to see child how to clean longaberger baskets cell phone busy signal magic the gathering card collection for sale the needs of the many what can i make with eggs flour sugar and milk how long does it take to get checks from wells fargo putting saltwater fish in freshwater how old do you have to be to buy non alcoholic beer olive oil grilled cheese do we breathe o or o2 can you freeze potato pancakes how to block artist on pandora what is a seminal source panasonic carbon zinc battery do you have to be 21 to buy cooking wine what is year zero poison that causes heart attack non child proof lighters how to make a am antenna a dollar two ninety eight funny answers to how are you i hear you calling cadence bacon number britney spears small green flying insect how to drain water from under house can caffeine not affect you can i use drano to unclog my dishwasher how to euthanize a fish without clove oil bone spicule after tooth extraction loretta lynn carried off stage