PDA

View Full Version : Total Cereal Going Off Market?

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
07-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, my Dad came home from the supermarket, & told me that Total cereal was being taken off the market.

True or false?

Q.E.D.
07-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Nothing in any of my searches, including Google news and the General Mills website.

SpoilerVirgin
07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't see any evidence that the cereal (which comes in quite a few varieties) is being discontinued.

Are you sure your Dad didn't hear that that particular supermarket was no longer going to stock it? Perhaps he didn't see it on the shelf, and when he asked for it he was told that they were no longer selling it.

I have to go to two different markets for my favorite cereals, because one market stopped selling one variety, and the other market stopped selling the other variety.

gotpasswords
07-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Your grocery store dropping it would be my guess as well. They probably wanted to make room for the Frosted Kiddie Sugar Bomb Movie Character Shaped Cereal of the Month, looked at the sales numbers and decided Total wasn't popular enough to keep.

Which would be odd as Wikipedia describes it as one of the most popualr cereals in the US.

Which I find odd as the last time I tried it, it tasted like chewing a vitamin pill rather than cereal. I guess they've managed to mask the flavor of "good for you" since then.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
07-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't see any evidence that the cereal (which comes in quite a few varieties) is being discontinued.

Are you sure your Dad didn't hear that that particular supermarket was no longer going to stock it? Perhaps he didn't see it on the shelf, and when he asked for it he was told that they were no longer selling it.

I have to go to two different markets for my favorite cereals, because one market stopped selling one variety, and the other market stopped selling the other variety.

Probably Dad misheard it.

Can Handle the Truth
07-17-2007, 04:39 PM
So people actually eat Total? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just cut up some cardboard and have it with milk?

ShibbOleth
07-17-2007, 04:41 PM
So people actually eat Total? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just cut up some cardboard and have it with milk?

Total Raisin is like a Raisin Bran, without all of the sogginess.

Hampshire
07-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Total Raisin is like a Raisin Bran, without all of the sogginess.

Agreed. And also the raisins aren't rolled in sugar.

Duckster
07-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I take it that you haven't been paying attention to the news of late (http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=3369294).

rbroome
07-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Hey! It is good for you! The company says so. ( I don't eat the stuff myself either). As I understand it, the same factory makes both Wheaties and Total. On the Total line, the machines squirt 1/8 oz of vitamins into the box just before it is sealed. That is the difference between Total and Wheaties. That and the price.

Santo Rugger
07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey! It is good for you! The company says so. ( I don't eat the stuff myself either). As I understand it, the same factory makes both Wheaties and Total. On the Total line, the machines squirt 1/8 oz of vitamins into the box just before it is sealed. That is the difference between Total and Wheaties. That and the price.

Right into the box, huh? I would have thought they would have separate batches, and mixed it in. But I also seem to remember Oreos having "Oreo" stamped on them, and being told that that production line is similar, Oreos in one bag, generic in the other.

Kozmik
07-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Guess we're now going to have to buy twenty, thirty boxes of Raisin Brand. :rolleyes:

Bryan Ekers
07-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I've been looking around Montreal stores for Total for what feels like a couple of years, without success. I thought it was already off the market.

Doctor Who
07-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Agreed. And also the raisins aren't rolled in sugar.Wait. How is that a good thing?

engineer_comp_geek
07-17-2007, 10:57 PM
On the Total line, the machines squirt 1/8 oz of vitamins into the box just before it is sealed.

I've never seen Total being made, but in other cereals, when they add vitamins it's usually just squirted on while the cereal is on a conveyor belt, or it's squirted into a big drum where the flakes are all rolling around getting dried or whatever. This insures that the individual flakes are evenly coated with vitamins. If you just squirted the vitamins into the top of the box, the cereal near the top would get most of the vitamins and the cereal at the bottom would be vitamin deprived.

Guinastasia
07-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Switch to Special K. Especially Fruit and Yogurt Clusters. Yummy.

DocCathode
07-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Which I find odd as the last time I tried it, it tasted like chewing a vitamin pill rather than cereal. I guess they've managed to mask the flavor of "good for you" since then.

Mask the taste? Good for you cereals are deliberately unpleasant so people know they're nutritious and fiber-filled. Research shows the placebo effect works better if the pill is big, black, and foul tasting.

Skammer
07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Hmmph. I actually don't think Total tastes too bad. I do sprinke some sugar substitute on it, though.

Liberal
07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Since we're in GQ, someone should point out that the correct cereal is Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds.

;)

psychonaut
07-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I've never seen Total being made, but in other cereals, when they add vitamins it's usually just squirted on while the cereal is on a conveyor belt, or it's squirted into a big drum where the flakes are all rolling around getting dried or whatever. This insures that the individual flakes are evenly coated with vitamins. If you just squirted the vitamins into the top of the box, the cereal near the top would get most of the vitamins and the cereal at the bottom would be vitamin deprived.What makes you think the manufacturer cares about this?

Q.E.D.
07-18-2007, 10:33 PM
What makes you think the manufacturer cares about this?
Ever heard of the FDA?

Kozmik
07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Hmmph. I actually don't think Total tastes too bad. I do sprinke some sugar substitute on it, though.Do you put milk on it?

Best Topics: salmon trout hybrid car horn notes songs about paint is fanfiction illegal double brew coffee pussy cunt nunchucks real marnie thanksgiving letter 5th of vodka us code symbol krieg lights maud adams tattoo odor resistant socks mccormick salt grinder charlie morecraft bio oo u frank mash gaper delay drinking mouthwash youtube security certificate diphenhydramine hydrochloride high flylady alternatives objective person 2000 knots gor movies 70s teenager sterilizing tweezers hitler goals choppers cross zingh empire i'm a grown assed man transitions lenses review 2014 moonlight feels right lyrics meaning smallest condoms at walmart deposit slip routing number different than check k for strikeout origin can you eat the bones in canned salmon how long can you drive with expired tags in california cracked battery terminal clamp how does whiskey taste where do women urinate from what does llc mean in a company name what is bart short for is she too old for me third world war books midas brake job cost mom gave me a hand job what causes inflamed taste buds dark brown vs black back flush hot water line temporary checks wells fargo buy mp3 with paypal les schwab brake job cost how long to cook something at 350 instead of 450 how to pop jaw back into place when you open the oven reserve not met means why is my craigslist post blocked car battery memory keeper how many times sex in one night