PDA

View Full Version : Crocs with socks?

Waverly
07-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I couldnít hate Crocs more if they were made by skinning puppies alive and curing their hides in dolphin fat. They top the all-time list of hideous footwear, and that is before the advent of Croc socks. More on that in a minute. I think itís time for a review:

Vans: Who would have thought that skate punks would think they looked cool in flamboyant loafers that would have made a teenage Liberace weep with longing.

Birkenstocks: When you are an ultra-crunchy wad of granola, and are afraid your greasy hair isnít telling your story loud enough, Birkenstocks announce to the world that you are unique. Just like everyone else. Enjoy transcendence into equally crunchy geekdom by adding socks.

Air Jordans: What would you do for the pleasure of sweating buckets into leather high-tops, featuring a $100 premium for Nikeís poorly designed, bubble-filled insoles? If you said, ďgun down some kids with my gat,Ē then Air Jordans are for you.

Crocs: Ventilation holes or not, who wouldnít enjoy a summer day with their feet crammed into waterproof, air-tight, zero arch support, colorful chunks of hard rubber? This beats making shoes out of duck tape and hockey pucks by at least 25%. Donít just tell the world that youíd be just as happy riding the short bus to Taco Bell, show them that you mean it with pink rubber clogs.

And nowÖ Croc is making socks. Iím not talking about looking like any ordinary asshole with Crocs and socks, Iím talking about the blessed assholiness of wearing Crocs with Croc Socks. It is fads like this that make me long for the next ice age.

gazpacho
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
You will move through life with greater comfort when you remove the stick from your ass.

Contrapuntal
07-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I like my Crocs. I bought them years ago for 30 bucks, and wear them about 3 seasons out if the year. Sometimes with socks.

They are hands down the best value in footwear I have ever had.

Scarlett67
07-24-2007, 04:47 PM
You will get my Birkenstock clogs when you pry them from my cold, dead feet. They give my ingrown-toenail-prone feet plenty of room, protect my toes from further injury, and last forever. I don't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks my shoes say (including that I must be a lesbian to wear them, hardy har har). They're comfortable and I like them.

Waverly
07-24-2007, 04:57 PM
You will move through life with greater comfort when you remove the stick from your ass.Some perverse part of me finds it greatly humorous that Crocs and other goofy footwear could be right up there with obesity, guns, and Macs as the most contentious SDMB topics. I havenít felt an ominous vibe like this since I suggested that most 20-somethings nowadays would rather be underemployed and complain than have to really work hard for success.

Waverly
07-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks my shoes say (including that I must be a lesbian to wear them, hardy har har).I wouldn't say that... but I also wouldn't be surprised if you had a well used Melissa Etheridge CD in your car.

Giraffe
07-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Some perverse part of me finds it greatly humorous that Crocs and other goofy footwear could be right up there with obesity, guns, and Macs as the most contentious SDMB topics. I havenít felt an ominous vibe like this since I suggested that most 20-somethings nowadays would rather be underemployed and complain than have to really work hard for success.Ominous vibe? Contentious? You're getting this from the three replies so far, two of which simply stated that they like their Crocs/Birks? Hardly an avalanche of condemnation, there.

Also, I like my Birkenstocks. They're comfortable.

Tuckerfan
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I have no idea what Crocs are, but I'm suddenly craving Taco Bell.

whole bean
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Some perverse part of me finds it greatly humorous that Crocs and other goofy footwear could be right up there with obesity, guns, and Macs as the most contentious SDMB topics. I havenít felt an ominous vibe like this since I suggested that most 20-somethings nowadays would rather be underemployed and complain than have to really work hard for success.
Crocs are hot as HELL!! Jeebus Almighty, I couldn't agree more. I bought them for a pair of summer shoes, but shite, I'd have done better to wrap my feet in foam insulation. Also, I've blown through enough pairs of birks to put the lie to the notion of indestructability (and yes, I used the cork glue, got the soles tapped, etc. Face it, they wear out). Ironically, socks is the only real way to keep your birks from smelling like complete ass. It's on the Nike Air that we part ways. I don't wear high tops, but I find the Air Max 180+ to be the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Worth every penny.

Waverly
07-24-2007, 05:09 PM
find the Air Max 180+ to be the most comfortable shows I've ever owned.I loved my 360's until 50 miles per week blew out the air soles... kinda lame since this was after only about a month and I weigh a meager 165lbs. But I was referring to Air Jordans, which on top of everything else, originally came with about 2cc's of air built into the insole, not the lower.

recessiveMeme
07-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Surely you've some vitriol left for Tevas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teva_Sport_Sandals)? I mean, they must be just as bad as Birkenstocks or Crocs, right? And don't forget Converse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Converse)!

Just for the record: I never owned Vans, but my Airwalks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwalk) were quite comfortable. Naturally, Air Jordans were crap. I wore Pumps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reebok_Pump) and was ever so much cooler for it. I never got into Birkenstocks because of aforementioned Tevas, but I've heard they are quite comfortable. The sight of neon Crocs fills me with anger, but I'm not particularly offended by the blander colors. Just don't stand next to me please-- your feet stink....make of that what you will. I was either dangerously fashionable or completely clueless. It's so hard to tell where footwear is concerned.

Incidentally, what's a "Croc Sock"? Is there a new trend for me to either be cooler than or avoid altogether?

Waverly
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Ominous vibe? Contentious? You're getting this from the three replies so far, two of which simply stated that they like their Crocs/Birks? Hardly an avalanche of condemnation, there.

Also, I like my Birkenstocks. They're comfortable.Is there official Mod guidance on when one can feel surprised that their ritious and well deserved pitting has hit resistance? Maybe it's the hyperbole that confused you, if that..... eh fuck it. Suck my Birkencock.

yanceylebeef
07-24-2007, 05:27 PM
I crossed over to the Croc side just this summer.

No arch support, my ass. I have rediculously high arches and these are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. My feet don't get sweaty, they don't smell, they keep me supported through all weekend house and yard work.

I still hate the hot pink or neon green ones, not for the shoe, but because of the throwback to that neon colored phase of the 80s. I have a pair of blue and black ones, and I'll agree with Scarlett67, I don't give a fuck what you think of my shoes.

woodstockbirdybird
07-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Also, I like my Birkenstocks. They're comfortable.

Ah, go save a whale, ya fuckin' hippie!

Squink
07-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I couldnít hate Crocs more if they were made by skinning puppies alive and curing their hides in dolphin fat.Bush Endorses Crocs With Socks (http://huffingtonpost.com/2007/06/22/bush-endoreses-crocs_n_53388.html) George W. Bush was photographed recently in a pair of black Crocs -- Cayman style, $29.99 --
...bike socks imprinted with the presidential seal

Waverly
07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Bush Endorses Crocs With Socks (http://huffingtonpost.com/2007/06/22/bush-endoreses-crocs_n_53388.html)You are my fucking hero! There couldnít be more compelling evidence of the vileness of Crocs with socks. I wish I had a uterus so that I could bear a lovechild for you.

Bobotheoptimist
07-24-2007, 05:48 PM
My name is Bobo, I carry a gun and I wear Crocs (sometimes with white socks), but I'm the only person I know that thinks they are uncomfortable. This is primarily due to my destroyed arches that generally require $250 insoles that provide all the comfort of having a walnut in your shoe but without the searing pain of other shoes. Crocs are slightly better than those other off the shelf shoes, and normal people seem to adore them.

Warning! The Croc people (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=377479) recommend you do not eat, nor attempt to eat, your Crocs.

FisherQueen
07-24-2007, 05:53 PM
The first time I saw a pair of Crocs, on a dear friend, I thought they were breathtakingly ugly. But she explained to me that they were in fact quite comfortable, economical, and stylish. Then I started seeing more and more people wearing them. Now, it seems like all my friends have them, in a rainbow of cheerful colors.

I still think that they're the most aggressively unattractive shoes I've ever seen. In fact, now that I'm surrounded by them, I hate them much more.

Duke of Rat
07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Praise the bumfuck backwater that is my existence, I've never seen a pair of Crocs that I am aware of. Or Birkenstocks. And I ain't paying $100 for any Air nothing. And I can't even find a store in town that has Vans. My favorite comfortable shoes are $29 Dr. Scholl's "Matrix" in black, but fucking Wally World evidently only had one pair of them so I don't know what I'll be wearing next time I need shoes.

stolichnaya
07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Bush looks very comfortable in that picture. I have never seen the man look so natural, regardless of footwear. It's kind of informative.

He was born to goof off.

gigi
07-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Praise the bumfuck backwater that is my existence, I've never seen a pair of Crocs that I am aware of. Or Birkenstocks. And I ain't paying $100 for any Air nothing. And I can't even find a store in town that has Vans. My favorite comfortable shoes are $29 Dr. Scholl's "Matrix" in black, but fucking Wally World evidently only had one pair of them so I don't know what I'll be wearing next time I need shoes.
You see, there's this thing called the Internet...? ;)

birkenstockcentral.com BABY!! And my hair isn't greasy. PPBBTTT!!!!!!

Delly
07-24-2007, 06:06 PM
What the hell is wrong with a pair of vans? I dont fall under the category of skater/punk rocker/whatever that wears these,and I have a pair. Theyre comfy and they look nice with jeans etc.

Am completely with you on the crocs though, absolutely rotten shoes!

FaerieBeth
07-24-2007, 06:13 PM
The first time I saw a pair of Crocs, on a dear friend, I thought they were breathtakingly ugly.
I still think that they're the most aggressively unattractive shoes I've ever seen.
I dunno, these (http://shop.crocs.com/pc-33-4-prima.aspx?reqid=33&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products) aren't too bad. I like the Crocs that I do have because they are super comfy to wear to work, and quiet on the floor. (I'm a librarian)
When my littlest was in the hospital last year, almost every nurse I saw was wearing the fully enclosed kind in white.

Kneepants Erasmus, the Humanist
07-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Waverly

Suck my Birkencock
*swoon* :)

Originally Posted by recessiveMeme

Surely you've some vitriol left for Tevas? I mean, they must be just as bad as Birkenstocks or Crocs, right? And don't forget Converse!
Heh. All of those shoes suck. BUT YOU WILL NEVER GET MY CHUCK TAYLORS AWAY FROM ME YOU DIRTY WHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *wipes spittle from computer screen*

So, Bush wears socks with the presidential seal? Seriously? How fucking lame. I bet his underwear also bears that symbol. Wow.

scout1222
07-24-2007, 06:24 PM
So. What do you think of these:

http://clarks.zappos.com/n/p/dp/3034094/c/20996.html

(for clarity's sake I DO NOT OWN THESE)

Athena
07-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Crocs: Ventilation holes or not, who wouldnít enjoy a summer day with their feet crammed into waterproof, air-tight, zero arch support, colorful chunks of hard rubber?

You've obviously never put your feet in a pair.

Mr. Athena once thought the same thing you did. When his bestest oldest friend showed up to visit us with a pair of Crocs on, Mr. Athena wasted no time letting him know how utterly silly they were. Even though the friend wore conservatively dark green Crocs, Mr. Athena took every opportunity to give him grief.

I, on the other hand, tried on Mr. Bestest-Oldest Friend's wife's Crocs, and went out and bought a pair the week after they left. Then came a day where Mr. Athena had to run outside to do something or other, and my Crocs were handily right next to the door. They didn't fit, but he stuck his feet him them anyway and went "Oooooh...."

Next thing you know, he's wearing a pair of bright red Crocs. With happy sunshine decorations in the holes, and peace signs. He's a 50 year old, ex-Harley Rider, weight lifter, and ex-Conservative Republican. If he can do it, anyone can.

Apollo's Towel
07-24-2007, 06:41 PM

I love how comfy Clark's shoes and sandals can be, but those are just... wrong.

Algher
07-24-2007, 06:41 PM
You will get my Birkenstock clogs when you pry them from my cold, dead feet. They give my ingrown-toenail-prone feet plenty of room, protect my toes from further injury, and last forever. I don't give a rat's ass what anybody thinks my shoes say (including that I must be a lesbian to wear them, hardy har har). They're comfortable and I like them.

Rah!

I wear my Birks constantly (only with socks when I fly, I admit).

I, however, am a Lesbian trapped in a man's body (to steal an old joke)

Kneepants Erasmus, the Humanist
07-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Uh. Is there something wrong with me if I rather like those? In green. Yes.

Oh, wait rubber soles? Nevermind. :(

whole bean
07-24-2007, 06:57 PM

the wallabee (in tan) is a southern frat boy staple

Scarlett67
07-24-2007, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't say that... but I also wouldn't be surprised if you had a well used Melissa Etheridge CD in your car.
Who's Melissa Etheridge?

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
07-24-2007, 07:25 PM
I wear my white Crocs now, as I post.

Very comfy.

I use them for slippers/light-around-the-house-shoes.

mswas
07-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Who's Melissa Etheridge?

Come to my Window, come inside wait by the light of the moon.

Then everything will be revealed.

07-24-2007, 07:47 PM
My name is Bobo, I carry a gun and I wear Crocs

Believe me, nobody is going to laugh at your crocs when they see the gun. :)

(sometimes with white socks), but I'm the only person I know that thinks they are uncomfortable. This is primarily due to my destroyed arches that generally require $250 insoles that provide all the comfort of having a walnut in your shoe but without the searing pain of other shoes.

So you wear the crocs without your insoles? I'm probably about 5-10 years late in getting new arch supports. I don't like wearing any footwear without it, although I once had a pair of Merrill sport sandals that had decent support.

I really want a pair of crocs. And a gun.

Bobotheoptimist
07-24-2007, 08:15 PM
So you wear the crocs without your insoles? I'm probably about 5-10 years late in getting new arch supports. I don't like wearing any footwear without it, although I once had a pair of Merrill sport sandals that had decent support.

I really want a pair of crocs. And a gun.They're not really conducive to insole usage, but they are good for wearing in the canoe or as slippers for a quick trip outside. The material is fairly non-slip and is supposed to be bacteria and odor resistant.

Little Plastic Ninja
07-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I've seen the little black ballet flats on someone before. I had no idea.

LPN: *glances down* Hey, those are some adorable shoes!
Her: They're Crocs!
LPN: *dumbfounded* You're joking...

Apparently not. They're really cute worn.

My mother adores bright colors and is on her feet all day long. She has knee problems and gets very warm very easily. She swears by her Crocs. She has them in every obnoxious color you can think of, but no Croc-flair.

I do not wear them. I have a pair of Chacos (like sliiiightly more stylish Tevas. Slightly.) and a pair of black leather quite adorable Roman-looking sandals I alternate between most days. Socks are for chumps in Austin summers.

But I keep almost buying those little ballet flat Crocs...

Merneith
07-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Crocs with socks.
Crocs with box.
Fox with Crocs and Socks in box.
No sir! No sir! Mr. Fox, Sir - I don't like your Crocs with Socks, Sir!
Sorry, Mr. Waverly!
Crocs with Socks are fun, you see!

Here's a new trick, we can play.
Here's some more fun things to say!

Chicks with Socks come.
Chicks with Blocks come.
Chicks with Socks and Blocks and Crocs come.

You can make a Quick Chick Socks Trick.
I can make a Quick Chick Crocs Trick.

Count Blucher
07-24-2007, 08:17 PM
You will get my Birkenstock clogs when you pry them from my cold, dead feet.

You'll get me to put on Crocs when you slide then on to my cold dead feet...

Thudlow Boink
07-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Thank you, Merneith. I coulda sworn "Crocs with socks" was by Dr. Seuss.

TroubleAgain
07-24-2007, 09:02 PM

OMIGODIWANTTHEM! :eek:

Waverly
07-24-2007, 09:29 PM

http://clarks.zappos.com/n/p/dp/3034094/c/20996.htmlIf you are in your late teens, live in Japan, and are going for some Kogyaru look, maybe you can pull it off. Otherwise leave these alone.

Waverly
07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
You can make a Quick Chick Socks Trick.
I can make a Quick Chick Crocs Trick.I would not, could not, enjoy a quick trick from a chick in Croc socks.

Mama Tiger
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I've got some Crocs thongs (http://shop.crocs.com/pc-14-4-athens.aspx?reqid=14&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products) that are just unbelievably comfy. I wear them all the time. I've got all kinds of foot problems, and I swear the Crocs footbed is more comfy than wearing any other shoe with my $400 prescription orthotics. And come cooler weather, I'm planning on getting some regular Crocs, and maybe even the incredibly ugly (http://shop.crocs.com/pc-17-4-georgie.aspx?reqid=17&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products) but wonderfully waterproof and comfy-looking boots. Because there's nothing nastier than getting my feet wet, or even just damp, several times a day when I have to go out with the dogs no matter what the weather.

Birks are great for slopping around in, but on a comfort scale? Crocs have them so far beat that they're not even in the same universe of comfort.

Uvula Donor
07-24-2007, 09:53 PM
. . .their ritious and well deserved pitting. . .

"ritious"?

Chotii
07-24-2007, 09:53 PM
I used to love my Birkies. I lived in them. I was obsessive about them. Then I was forced into 'regular' shoes (mostly cross-trainers) suitable for holding prescription orthotics. Now I can't wear the Birkies at all anymore.

For a while, I wore a pair of Crocs' cheaper knockoff brothers, Waldies. I utterly loved their weightlessness, their cushion, their slight grippiness so that I could actually run in them (as clogs) without having to shuffle. BUT then my right foot developed heel pain, which progressed into intractable plantar fasciitis. I don't know if there's any connection between wearing the Waldies and developing horrible foot pain, but I've gone back to cross-trainers with orthotics.

I don't care what they LOOK like. If they feel good, I'll wear them. If they hurt me, they're out the door. The same goes for high heels, anything strappy, anything absolutely flat without arch support....looks take a major distant second place.

Boo.

Larry Mudd
07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
The first pair of Crocks I ever saw were powder blue and worn by a profoundly mentally retarded man at the bus loop.

I've never been able to determine if my subsequent perceptions of them have been coloured by that. They just don't look right to me on the feet of people who aren't mentally retarded.

mnemosyne
07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I love my Crocs. They are perfect for camping, dragon boating or kayaking, pretty much anything outdoors when your feet might get wet. I only wear them with socks if I happen to slip them on when I go to take out the trash or something, though.

Zjestika
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
I love that these crocs (http://shop.crocs.com/pc-23-4-professional.aspx?reqid=23&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products) are called the "Professional." The professional what?

I'm Ron Burgundy?
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Wow. How much time do you spend staring at peoples' feet? Are there more of your kind?

eleanorigby
07-24-2007, 11:43 PM
I used the link in this thread to order my crocs. I tried on a pair at work, and they are incredibly comfortable shoes. I have a bone spur, very high arches,a nd varicose veins. I am a nurse who recently changed units and now I stand more than walk--my Nikes are killing my feet (even with my refurbished orthotics).

They aren't the most attractive of shoes (although they are cute in a Smurf kind of way), but I don't care for fashion at work.

They would also be great for gardening.

One thing--on the website, after my selection, it said to me that I am "$60 away from free shipping!" :rolleyes: shipping was all of $10--I proceeded to check out.

CanvasShoes
07-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Crocs: Ventilation holes or not, who wouldnít enjoy a summer day with their feet crammed into waterproof, air-tight, zero arch support, colorful chunks of hard rubber? This beats making shoes out of duck tape and hockey pucks by at least 25%. Donít just tell the world that youíd be just as happy riding the short bus to Taco Bell, show them that you mean it with pink rubber clogs.

Well, they're ugly, that's for sure, but why are you getting so upset by what other people wear (granted, I don't understand some styles and "toddler with a full diaper" thug pants make me laugh every time), but why get yourself so worked up?

I mean yeah, they're ugly, and many people are fashion victims via Crocs and Birkenstocks, but "long for the next ice age"?

Although, as you said, they're hard rubber chunks, I don't know how they could possibly be comfortable at all. But again, if people want ugly shoes that are uncomfortable too, oh well.

Kyla
07-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Crocs are the ugliest shoes in the universe, and this is coming from someone wearing Birkenstocks at the moment. (I actually think Birks are pretty cute. BTW, I washed my hair this morning.) But I don't really think it's a big enough deal to get worked up over. EXCEPT that the last time I saw my mom, she was wearing Crocs. Apparently she and my sister have them and they looooove them. Again, not my business. Until my mom told me she wanted to buy ME a pair.

Me: Uh, no thanks, Mom, I have enough shoes.
Mom: They're FANTASTIC. You'll LOVE them.
Me: No, really, Mom, I don't want them.
Mom: Why NOT? I'm offering to buy them for you!
Me: Because they're freaking UGLY!
Mom: < gasp of horror that I would insult her dress sense. >
Me: Entrapment! You forced me to insult you by wearing UGLY ASS SHOES.

kferr
07-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Thank you, Merneith. I coulda sworn "Crocs with socks" was by Dr. Seuss.
Dr. Scholl actually.

enipla
07-25-2007, 09:37 AM
:Shrug: I bought a black pair after realizing how much my Wife loved her pair.

Although, as you said, they're hard rubber chunks, I don't know how they could possibly be comfortable at all. But again, if people want ugly shoes that are uncomfortable too, oh well.I find them very comfy and light weight. They arenít hard rubber at all, they are pretty soft really.

Ugly? To each his own. I like the looks of mine. I can wear them with socks or not, and even wear them to work once in a while.

They are also great if you need to through something on real quick if you need to dash outside or something. Very handy.

Zeriel
07-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Meh. My Birkenstock sandals are comfortable, there is never a sock in their presence, they don't smell, I'm not a hippie, and this pair's lasted me for three years so far and I wear them three seasons--by contrast, I'm hard enough on shoes that I need a new pair of hiking shoes from land's end every year just from winter wear.

Not a lesbian. Not a hippie, either.

Quint
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
No list of ugly-ass shoes that are purportedly "super comfortable" is complete without a mention of Keens (http://keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=36). They are super expensive to boot.

Catamount
07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Huh. They're called Crocs. I did not know that. I was calling them "ugly plastic gardening clogs with holes punched in them."

I hate shoes anyway. I've finally retreated to the men's section to find sneakers I can wear comfortably. Unfortunately I'm still trapped in the women's side for dress shoes. Apparently they do not make the nice styles in wide. I should probably give up and start binding my feet so I can be Trendy.

Missy2U
07-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Waverly, I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I really, really like you. If you had a newsletter, I'd subscribe. :D

yellowval
07-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I find most Crocs repulsive. However, those ballet flat ones (the Primas) are kind of cute. I'm actually considering getting a pair in black.

Cubsfan
07-25-2007, 11:17 AM
I like the Crocs that I do have because they are super comfy to wear to work, and quiet on the floor. (I'm a librarian)

This is my beef with Crocs. Yes they are ugly. No they don't have support. I can live with that. The thing that gets my goat about these shoes though is that people wear them to work in professional environments or to church or whatever and it drives me crazy. Crocs are on the same level as fancy house slippers or flip flops.

You shouldn't wear crocs someplace that you wouldn't wear your rubber shower shoes/athletic flip flops. They are totally unprofessional IMHO and, barring a clinical environment, I would forbid them at any workplace that I was in charge of. Contrary to the seemingly growing popular belief, your comfort doesn't always override the need to look at least marginally professional.

It's like those ladies who wear a dress to work with nylons on and then change into sneakers, or crocs nowadays, to walk around the office in. These are secretaries who sit in chairs all day. Nothing looks lamer than a lady in a dress and nylons with sneakers on her feet.

Trunk
07-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Waverly. . .I think you left off Tevas, Danskos, flip-flops, Keens and a couple others.

Please let us know which of these are acceptable footwear that aren't a fad, and don't immediately impart one of your (oh so original) archetypes to the wearer.

FaerieBeth
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
You shouldn't wear crocs someplace that you wouldn't wear your rubber shower shoes/athletic flip flops. They are totally unprofessional IMHO and, barring a clinical environment, I would forbid them at any workplace that I was in charge of. Contrary to the seemingly growing popular belief, your comfort doesn't always override the need to look at least marginally professional.
Perhaps this needs clarifying. I'm a primary elementary school librarian, and every Friday (School Spirit Day) I do wear jeans, my school logo T-Shrit, and the navy crocs.
I'm not wearing them to a shareholder's meeting. :rolleyes:

stolichnaya
07-25-2007, 12:12 PM
No list of ugly-ass shoes that are purportedly "super comfortable" is complete without a mention of Keens (http://keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=36). They are super expensive to boot.

I have a pair of these (http://keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=9) (in a different color) and I have beaten them to hell now for about two years. They are beyond a doubt the most useful, comfortable, flexible shoes I have ever owned. They go from the gym to the bike to the boat to the beach to the trail, they dry quickly, they shed dirt, they hold their fit, they support my weak arches.

Additionally, my feet smell like a cab driver taking a bath in limburger cheese. These kicks don't smell like anything after two years.

Sure, they're ugly. Ugly like a fox.

scout1222
07-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Note to self: stay away from stoli's feet. Damn, man.

jsgoddess
07-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Anyone with a Merton's neuroma ever try Crocs on? I'm always looking for casual shoes that don't make me want to cry.

I assumed from looking at them that they'd be scuffly and uncomfortable.

Waverly
07-25-2007, 12:32 PM
No list of ugly-ass shoes that are purportedly "super comfortable" is complete without a mention of Keens (http://keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=36). They are super expensive to boot.Sorry, but Iíd put Keens, Doc Martens, Born, and a few others on the list of shoes that at least builds form around function. You can buy Keens, put them on right out of the box, and go for a couple mile hike without injuring yourself. I wouldnít try that with Crocs.

Someone is going to tell me that Crocs are comfy, and therefore functional. Iíd say that they are comfy in the same way that a rubber muumuu might seem strangely comfortable when you first put it on. And you canít tell me that with neon colors and add-on flair that Croc is going after the function before style crowd.

Elenfair
07-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Eh. Me and my bad spine have nothing but love for the Crocs. Sure, they're ugly, but the smaller, less "OH MY GOD THOSE ARE CLOGS, FULL OF HOLES, AND BRIGHT PINK!" of their line of shoes are actually perfectly fine and less, erm, conspicuous...

I also know many nurses and teachers (who spend most of their day on their feet) who swear by them. To each his own, ya know?

Trunk
07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't know what you're looking for out of Crocs.

I wouldn't compare them to keens. I'd compare them to flip-flops.

I just think they're essentially a more durable flip-flop. They slip on and off. They can be hosed off, and that material doesn't hold water. They offer a little bit of top of foot protection.

I also sort of treat them as an indoor-outdoor house slipper. Like, if I'm just going out to water the plants, or back and forth from the grill to the kitchen. I don't want to use house slippers for that, and I'm not putting on my sneakers in the middle of summer.

They're the best beach shoe I've ever had, especially considering they're fine for walking on the boardwalk, or riding a bike.

enipla
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I have a pair of these (http://keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=9) (in a different color) and I have beaten them to hell now for about two years. They are beyond a doubt the most useful, comfortable, flexible shoes I have ever owned. They go from the gym to the bike to the boat to the beach to the trail, they dry quickly, they shed dirt, they hold their fit, they support my weak arches.

Additionally, my feet smell like a cab driver taking a bath in limburger cheese. These kicks don't smell like anything after two years.

Sure, they're ugly. Ugly like a fox.Keen Sandles are great. I have to get another pair (my dog ate them).

AND I can wear them to work, just like my Crocs :p

World Eater
07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
I wear my white Crocs now, as I post.

Very comfy.

I use them for slippers/light-around-the-house-shoes.

I'm sporting blue ones right now. Most comfortable footwear I've ever owned.

<comic book guy>
Best.........shoes......evar!
</cbg>

Cubsfan
07-25-2007, 01:43 PM
For all the comfort reasons expressed in this thread I don't understand why you don't get a nice pair of shoes, maybe even half size too big so you can fit some really squishy ones in there, and put some nice insoles in them that meet your needs instead of looking all scummy running around at work in the same shoes other people wear for scooping up the dog shit in the back yard.

Like I said, crocs do have a place,but that place is in the same category as flip-flops though and people treat them like regular shoes and look silly in the process.

Waverly
07-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Waverly, I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I really, really like you. If you had a newsletter, I'd subscribe. :DYou are too nice.

Now about the subscription... how much would you pay?

jsgoddess
07-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Like I said, crocs do have a place

Yeah, on the feet of any damned person who wants to wear them.

Omigod. Your pristine eyeballs might be injured by someone wearing fashions you do not approve of. Gasp. Point. Stare.

GraceTX
07-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Crocs are absolutely the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a shoe store. Comfortable or not, the only people who can get away without looking like a complete idiot (IMHO) while wearing them are nurses. Somehow they do work with scrubs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Vans though. I have low arches and small spurs in the back of both heels. Finding comfy every day shoes used to be hell until I found Vans - they have great support for me, nicely padded heels and look great with jeans (although dumb with shorts, so they're not much use for summer). Now if only I could find some smart shoes like that, I'd be set.

Flea
07-25-2007, 02:47 PM
They're ugly and trendy and comfortable, and yet another way for dumpy people to feel fashionable. I can excuse them on a nurse or someone who stands around all day, but people who feel their black crocs are their 'dressy' shoes make the baby Jesus cry.

gazpacho
07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
They're ugly and trendy and comfortable, and yet another way for dumpy people to feel fashionable. I can excuse them on a nurse or someone who stands around all day, but people who feel their black crocs are their 'dressy' shoes make the baby Jesus cry.Does anybody think they are dressy shoes? Nobody thinks they are dress shoes. This issue is that a large number of people have sticks up their butts about professional dress.

Waverly
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Does anybody think they are dressy shoes? Nobody thinks they are dress shoes. This issue is that a large number of people have sticks up their butts about professional dress.You seem to be fixated on the idea of wooden objects up the arse. DON'T elaborate on your personal issues, but do take some time away from the computer to drown your problems in liquor or shoot some smack. It will do you good.

Larry Mudd
07-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Crocs are absolutely the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a shoe store. Me too, and I haven't forgotten those injection-moulded fluorescent pink and green "moon-boots" that were trendy in the early eighties.

Waverly
07-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Would it confuse the issue too much if I asked why two people - unrelated and at different times of day - choose to wear Uggs boots to the beach last week? Iím not kidding here. Is there some reason this should make more sense than it appears to? Uggs, BTW, are plenty ugly, but having looked at them up close they seem to be we warm and well made so I donít get too worked up over them. Except I question them as beachwear.

World Eater
07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
For all the comfort reasons expressed in this thread I don't understand why you don't get a nice pair of shoes, maybe even half size too big so you can fit some really squishy ones in there, and put some nice insoles in them that meet your needs instead of looking all scummy running around at work in the same shoes other people wear for scooping up the dog shit in the back yard.

Comfort isn't something that's always quantifiable. Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.

Like I said, crocs do have a place,but that place is in the same category as flip-flops though and people treat them like regular shoes and look silly in the process.

If someone's a slob, they're a slob.

You've really got a stick up your ass about this dontcha?

FaerieBeth
07-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Omigod. Your pristine eyeballs might be injured by someone wearing fashions you do not approve of. Gasp. Point. Stare.
Yeah. As I'm leading my next assigned group of kindergarteners from the sticky, chocolate milk and apple juice covered cafeteria floor out to the dusty/muddy playground for recess, I'm definitely going to be broken hearted that Waverly, Stinkpalm, & Co. don't approve of my footwear. :p

Idlewild
07-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Would it confuse the issue too much if I asked why two people - unrelated and at different times of day - choose to wear Uggs boots to the beach last week? Iím not kidding here. Is there some reason this should make more sense than it appears to? Uggs, BTW, are plenty ugly, but having looked at them up close they seem to be we warm and well made so I donít get too worked up over them. Except I question them as beachwear.
Perhaps because their popularity initially rose out of Australian surf culture? The beach is where they come from, they're just going home. I don't know *why* surfies adopted them, but they did it first.

lobstermobster
07-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Waverly I loveeee you for starting this thread. I just love you. I am such a judgemental bitch about people who cannot be bothered to present themselves in an attractive way. Some may ask, don't you have better things to do with your time and energy than judge people's shoes? The answer is no. I'm southern. I would get pinched by my mother for wearing white after labor day. And she pinches on the underside of the arm....where it hurts.

Anyways, call the whole thing superficial but the way you dress and present yourself really makes a difference to people. Shoes seem to be especially important. Even Hannibal Lecter notices your shoes. While i'm not saying that I believe this to be true but I think when someone chooses nice non-riduclous shoes it PRESENTS an image of detail-orientedness and ambitiousness. I realize that birkenstocks are comfy but you look like a bra-burning feminazi lesbian with two paddles strapped to the ends of your legs.

and some shoes are just SO HIDEOUS. why why WHY would anyone wear tevas. WHY. (whYYY yy?) Whenever I see anyone in Tevas (dont even get me started on tevas and socks) I don't know whether I should tackle the person to the ground and remove them or to just sob uncontrollably. (I know I know why get so worked up....believe me I have plenty of energy for everything....I'm tightly wound) Actually I'd like to find the person or persons who designed Tevas. I would like first an explanation, then an apology, and then restitution.

And as much as I respect the "I dont give a fuck what anyone thinks I am going to wear whats comfortable" attitude I just wouldn't be cool with knowing that I'm giving hundreds of fashionable queens on the streets of san francisco nervous breakdowns with my ugly paddle hooves.

And how about Uggs? Big furry stompers on the ends of thin legs in mini skirts. What a tragedy.

Okay my rant is over for now. And until we live in a perfect world where the unfashionable are safe from the judgements of the likes of me and Waverly, I'll be here, in the cute heels I can neither afford or wear comfortably but do regardless.

Scarlett67
07-25-2007, 06:52 PM
And as much as I respect the "I dont give a fuck what anyone thinks I am going to wear whats comfortable" attitude I just wouldn't be cool with knowing that I'm giving hundreds of fashionable queens on the streets of san francisco nervous breakdowns with my ugly paddle hooves.
Oh, fuck that noise. I should kill my feet to please YOUR sense of aesthetics? And if I think YOUR shoes are hideous, are you going to take them off?

When you're walking around in my feet, then you can decide what goes on them. Until then, kiss my ass, shove off, and mind your own damn business.

Contrapuntal
07-25-2007, 07:13 PM
[ Actually I'd like to find the person or persons who designed Tevas.It was a river guide named Mark Thatcher. He shouldn't be too hard to find if you are serious about it.

I would like first an explanation,They were designed as water sport sandals. They are really good at what they do.

then an apology, and then restitution.Some people are way the fuck too interested in what other people do. How about an explanation for you being such a nosy ass busybody. Oh, and an apology. And restituition.

Tamex
07-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Crocs--you've got to try them to believe them. I had tried fake Crocs at one point and I was not convinced. The real ones, though...well worth it.

There is plenty of ventilation...more ventilation than any other closed-toe shoe I have ever worn. (I am not allowed to wear open-toed shoes to work, but Crocs, even the ones with holes in the top, seem to be OK). I do wear socks in them when I am at work to absorb sweat. I work in a factory, and they definitely look professional enough for that environment!

They are also great for camping, as water shoes (yes, I have swum in them) and to wear in the car for road trips. I wouldn't wear them to a wedding, but I might switch into them for dancing at the reception ;).

CanvasShoes
07-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Crocs are the ugliest shoes in the universe, and this is coming from someone wearing Birkenstocks at the moment. (I actually think Birks are pretty cute. BTW, I washed my hair this morning.) But I don't really think it's a big enough deal to get worked up over. EXCEPT that the last time I saw my mom, she was wearing Crocs. Apparently she and my sister have them and they looooove them. Again, not my business. Until my mom told me she wanted to buy ME a pair.

Me: Entrapment! You forced me to insult you by wearing UGLY ASS SHOES.
Giggle! That's pretty bad when someone wearing birks has that reaction!

H3Knuckles
07-26-2007, 02:13 AM
Vans: Who would have thought that skate punks would think they looked cool in flamboyant loafers that would have made a teenage Liberace weep with longing.

I'm not sure what Vans you're speaking of? Maybe they have a Vans: Bad Taste collection?

All of my Vans (the only sneakers I've worn since about 7th grade), and most of the ones I've seen in the (admittedly ridiculous Skater-themed stores*) were pretty low-key as far as aesthetics go, fairly basic-looking sneakers with a thicker sole and cushiony lining which made them very comfortable. True they're kind of over-priced, but they were great for standing on your feet for long stretches, looked good, and didn't even look bulky.

*with half-pipe for skating while trying your shoes on! no joke! :rolleyes:

H3Knuckles
07-26-2007, 02:18 AM
Oh, and ftr, I do own a pair of Birkenstocks, but I only got them to wear around the house (wearing sandles out is kind of gross, unless you're going to the beach, imo). Meh, they're comfortable sandles, and I live in a household with 2 cats and 4 dogs, so I don't like walking around barefoot or just in socks.

H3Knuckles
07-26-2007, 02:26 AM
:smack: last one, I promise! (stupid 5 minute edit window, this all would've been one post on any other board)

On further examining the Vans website, I now see what you're talking about. Huh, I even went in the Vans store at my mall a few months back and didn't really see anything like that. Hope this isn't indicative of a company-wide shift away from the style I'm used to from them :eek:

CanvasShoes
07-26-2007, 02:37 AM
:I find them very comfy and light weight. They arenít hard rubber at all, they are pretty soft really.

Soft AND with high arches? Really? And they're supportive? Hmmmmm.............. :D

Catamount
07-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Waverly I loveeee you for starting this thread. I just love you. I am such a judgemental bitch about people who cannot be bothered to present themselves in an attractive way. Some may ask, don't you have better things to do with your time and energy than judge people's shoes? The answer is no. I'm southern. I would get pinched by my mother for wearing white after labor day. And she pinches on the underside of the arm....where it hurts.

As someone who currently lives in the south, I can honestly say that the only people who can get away with the Genteel Southern Lady routine these days all have white bouffants. Doesn't work well with the younger set.

However, this
Anyways, call the whole thing superficial but the way you dress and present yourself really makes a difference to people. Shoes seem to be especially important. Even Hannibal Lecter notices your shoes. While i'm not saying that I believe this to be true but I think when someone chooses nice non-riduclous shoes it PRESENTS an image of detail-orientedness and ambitiousness.
I can agree with. Shoes do provide an important detail to your overall appearance. You can be dressed to the nines, professional as you please, but wearing Crocs (or sneakers with nylons as someone mentioned above :eek: ) will completely wreck that image.

gigi
07-26-2007, 09:37 AM

... I'll be here, in the cute heels I can neither afford or wear comfortably but do regardless.Luckily I live in an area where cute heels are not the norm or expectation. I'm not all about conformity but I am glad I'm free to not have to wear something uncomfortable.

Oh, and ftr, I do own a pair of Birkenstocks, but I only got them to wear around the house (wearing sandles out is kind of gross, unless you're going to the beach, imo). I'm not sure I've heard this one before. Is it certain types of sandals that are "gross", or showing one's toes?

enipla
07-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Soft AND with high arches? Really? And they're supportive? Hmmmmm.............. :D
Crocs purchased Foam Creations and their manufacturing operations to secure exclusive rights to the proprietary foam resin they call "croslite". The foam forms itself to a wearer's feet, and offers purported medical benefits, based upon comments by a number of podiatrists.[2][3]High arch? I guess, I never really notice. I never have had a problem not having a high enough arch in any shoe, so I guess I may be a bit flat footed.

Although, as you said, they're hard rubber chunksI was just countering this misinformation.

I swear, I sure am glad I live/work in an area where people aren't so uptight about how you dress.

BiblioCat
07-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Waverly I am such a judgemental bitch about people who cannot be bothered to present themselves in an attractive way.

Anyways, call the whole thing superficial but the way you dress and present yourself really makes a difference to people. Shoes seem to be especially important.

Okay my rant is over for now. And until we live in a perfect world where the unfashionable are safe from the judgements of the likes of me and Waverly, I'll be here, in the cute heels I can neither afford or wear comfortably but do regardless.Which makes me glad I have a job that doesn't require me to wear high heels. The shoes I choose really make a difference?
I wear these (http://thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_5076_thorogood_ems_8_waterproof_side_zip_boot_safety_toe/) to work. They kinda ugly, but amazingly comfortable.
I'm guessing if you saw me out, you'd laugh and point and say, "Eeww, look at her shoooooooes!" and would judge me (wrongly) to be some bra-burning Femi-Nazi lesbian hippy who can't be bothered to wear 'nice' shoes. Sorry, I'm required to wear them for work. I have to have steel-toed black boots that are blood-borne pathogen compliant.

I get a little judgemental, too when I see women tottering around in high heels and complaining about how uncomfortable they are and that they can't walk in them - why wear them if you can't walk properly in them? Why buy them if you can't afford them?
But above all, why wear them if they hurt your feet? I just don't get it.

chowder
07-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I have no idea what Crocs are, but I'm suddenly craving Taco Bell.
I have no particular axe to grind in this thread but will somebody please tell this Brit. WTF a "Taco Bell" is

Ambles off to look for his carpet slippers

BiblioCat
07-26-2007, 10:27 AM
It's Mexican fast food.
Like McDonald's, but with tacos and quesadillas.

Taco Bell. (http://tacobell.com/)

stolichnaya
07-26-2007, 11:13 AM
It's Mexican fast food

I'll give you one of those.

Flea
07-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Does anybody think they are dressy shoes? Nobody thinks they are dress shoes. This issue is that a large number of people have sticks up their butts about professional dress.Perhaps so, but in my case, at least, it's because we have a strict business dress code that requires a certain standard. Nice slacks, dress blouse and black crocs with black socks are just not appropriate. When you're on the clock, you represent the company, and you signed paperwork agreeing to abide by the dress code. Unless you can give me a signed note from your doctor, ball up and put on some dress shoes, for Christ's sake.

Catamount
07-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I get a little judgemental, too when I see women tottering around in high heels and complaining about how uncomfortable they are and that they can't walk in them - why wear them if you can't walk properly in them? Why buy them if you can't afford them?
But above all, why wear them if they hurt your feet? I just don't get it.

To everyone who totters around on high heels, may I present my grandmother? My grandmother who has to wear broken-foot boots all the time now because she wore high heels to her job in the textile mill for twenty years? A job that involved standing all the time?

Actually, I won't present her. She's a little self-conscious about her feet. I will instead present the podiatrist who makes a living off of her foot problems. That's what high heels get you, folks. They get you your own personal podiatrist when you're in your 70s.

(Bibliocat, I think those boots rock! I'm rather partial to steel-toed boots. Great for kickin' people. :D )

El Cid Viscoso
07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Around the ranch I wear a pedometer and by the end of the day I've usually logged about 8 miles in cowboy boots or workboots. Afterward there's nothing nicer than just letting my feet hang out for a while and catch a little air. Later in the day if I have to go out in public, I'll usually slip on a pair of Borns. They're like sex for my feet.

I would get a pair of Crocs for tooling around the landscaped grounds but I can't imagine they won't end up smelling like total ass in about a week. Can anybody speak to that?

PS: World Eater! Great to see you again, my man!

enipla
07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Around the ranch I wear a pedometer and by the end of the day I've usually logged about 8 miles in cowboy boots or workboots. Afterward there's nothing nicer than just letting my feet hang out for a while and catch a little air. Later in the day if I have to go out in public, I'll usually slip on a pair of Borns. They're like sex for my feet.

I would get a pair of Crocs for tooling around the landscaped grounds but I can't imagine they won't end up smelling like total ass in about a week. Can anybody speak to that?

PS: World Eater! Great to see you again, my man!That's one of the reasons I like mine. I have smelly feet and so far so good. Also, I think you can just throw them in the washing machine or dishwasher.

stolichnaya
07-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm a messy dude, and I'm not particularly sensitive to germs and such. But for some reason the idea of putting my shoes in the dishwasher sends me whatever the opposite of "over the moon" is.

Geobabe
07-26-2007, 01:02 PM

Me: Entrapment! You forced me to insult you by wearing UGLY ASS SHOES.Giggle! That's pretty bad when someone wearing birks has that reaction!Well, what's really funny is how subjective taste is. I have a pair of Crocs, and while I won't argue that they're attractive, I find Birks far uglier and wouldn't be caught dead wearing them.

My husband has stinky feet, and his Crocs don't smell at all. The material they're made of is purported to be bacteria- and odor-resistant, and our experience seems to support that.

Brynda
07-26-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't think they make arches higher than mine, and I find crocs really comfy. Anyone who is calling them "hard rubber" hasn't tried them on.

Finagle
07-26-2007, 01:36 PM
I have to admit, when the Crocs first came out, I was struck at just how ugly they were. Part of that is just that clogs, in general, are sort of a clunky footwear. Make them out of what appears to be rubber and you combine all the aesthetic appeal of clogs with all the warm charm of synthetic materials. Now, make the result day-glo pink or lavender and you can have something really eye-searingly WTF were you thinking?

Looking at the Crocs web page, they seem to have refined some of their designs -- lowered the profile and toned down the colors -- to the point where I'd actually consider wearing some of their models. But my feelings about the bright pink clown shoe models hasn't changed, regardless of how comfortable they might be.

Then again, I wander around in ratty sneakers or Tevas, so if I'm allowed to be indifferent about the appearance of my feet, I can't really judge total strangers. (Well, I can and do, but I have to accept my cognitive inconsistencies.)

Catamount
07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm a messy dude, and I'm not particularly sensitive to germs and such. But for some reason the idea of putting my shoes in the dishwasher sends me whatever the opposite of "over the moon" is.

Under the moon?

want2know
07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
I agree that Crocs aren't the best looking sandals around, but I recently tried a pair on at an outlet store and was amazed at how comfortable they were. But even the outlet price was kinda steep, so I held off.

Last week, Big 5 had a sale on some Crocs knockoffs called Komodos. $12.95 a pair! Went to the store, tried them on, and found them to be every bit as comfy as the original. They're my new casual summer footwear, but definitely not with socks!

And, BTW, my feet sweat terribly in the summer, and the ventilation holes in these do a very good job of evaporating the moisture.

El Cid Viscoso
07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
That's one of the reasons I like mine. I have smelly feet and so far so good. Also, I think you can just throw them in the washing machine or dishwasher.See, I don't know whether it's the merino wool socks or diligent boot-swapping (or both), but stinky feet ain't one of my problems. However, with just about everything but the Andromeda Strain in our irrigation/sprinkler water, I figured a non-absorbent plastic surface would be a freaking Petri dish of funk. Interesting. :)

Waverly
07-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Err. Not to insult anyone, but I wear a good pair of shoes for years and yearsÖ until the soles wear too muchÖ and they smell the same way they did the first day I put them on: Leather and the hint of a small bit of talc which I put into them before wearing them the first time.

If your shoes resemble petri dishes, or your feet smell like an ass with an onion in it, then you should put on your Crocs, moccasins, ballet slippersÖ whatever... just go. You need to see doctor, or maybe a nutritionist, or possibly even an exorcist as soon as possible.

Fashion, or the lack of it, may be the least of your problems.

:eek:

World Eater
07-26-2007, 04:41 PM

PS: World Eater! Great to see you again, my man!

Thanks! :)

stolichnaya
07-26-2007, 04:42 PM
In case anyone is concerned for my health or the comfort of my associates, I was exaggerating a tad there.

All in service of the Keens!

And no, I am not a Keen-bot. Just a big fan.

irishgirl
07-27-2007, 05:55 AM
I like Crocs for night shift at work and for the operating theatre (I have 2 pairs, the OT pair doesn't ever get used anywhere else).

They have the following advantages

I have small feet, they come in kids sizes- for this reason I can't wear Birkenstocks, the Birks in my size are designed for 6 year olds and usually have pink butterflys on them.
They are easy to put on and off, so I can crawl into and out of bed without wasting time putting on trainers.
They are lightweight and comfy, my feet don't hurt as much at the end of a shift as they used to, and I have very high arches and plantar fasciitis, so they must be OK.
I am exposed to many, many body fluids on a daily basis. I can put my Crocs under a tap, wash them with antibacterial handwash, dry them, and spray them with alcohol spray and they are good to go in about 3 minutes, the same can't be said of trainers or leather shoes.

As to how I present myself- it's 3am, I'm wearing scrubs, a stethoscope and a harrassed expression, if you have issues with my footwear, feel free to get medical help from someone else.

H3Knuckles
07-27-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure I've heard this one before. Is it certain types of sandals that are "gross", or showing one's toes?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this...

Well, showing one's toes, mostly. I hate seeing people just out and about in the suburbs with bare feet and sandles.

But in a general sense, I've always felt like sandles just shouldn't be worn as general footwear, in the same sense that your not supposed to wear sweatpants just any old time. Maybe that makes me a snob, but I feel like these are functional clothing, and while there's a time and a place for such things, outside of the proper context it just isn't okay to wear them.

DoctorJ
07-27-2007, 10:25 AM
I like Crocs for night shift at work and for the operating theatre (I have 2 pairs, the OT pair doesn't ever get used anywhere else).
Do you use the ones with the holes in the top? That's my only concern with Crocs + sox in the medical setting--they just don't keep out those frequently splashed body fluids.

I have a pair of rubber Birkenstock clogs that are very Croc-like but have removable cork insoles and solid tops. They're the only reason I survived med school and residency. They are about to enter their eighth year of service, and they're due for their fourth set of insoles. I wouldn't wear them in the hospital anymore, as they don't have any tread left, but I can't bring myself to replace them, so they're perfect for the garden.

People have made fun of them ever since I bought them. Most of those same people are wearing Crocs everywhere now. Go figure.

gazpacho
07-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, showing one's toes, mostly. I hate seeing people just out and about in the suburbs with bare feet and sandles.Man get a grip.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
07-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Do you use the ones with the holes in the top? That's my only concern with Crocs + sox in the medical setting--they just don't keep out those frequently splashed body fluids.

I have a pair of rubber Birkenstock clogs that are very Croc-like but have removable cork insoles and solid tops. They're the only reason I survived med school and residency. They are about to enter their eighth year of service, and they're due for their fourth set of insoles. I wouldn't wear them in the hospital anymore, as they don't have any tread left, but I can't bring myself to replace them, so they're perfect for the garden.

People have made fun of them ever since I bought them. Most of those same people are wearing Crocs everywhere now. Go figure.

I bought my Crocs at a Uniform Supply store, & they have models with side, rather than top, vents for medical personnel.

They come in White.

Tamex
07-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I also have to agree with irishgirl that Crocs would be perfect for overnight shift work. A few years ago, I was a telephone operator, and, being at the bottom of the seniority food chain, I had my share of late and overnight shifts. I ended up switching from regular sneakers to Lands' End's All-Weather Moccasins because shoes with laces felt too tight in the middle of the night. (We were required to keep our shoes on at all times, even though we just sat at a desk all the time and our customers couldn't see us.) Those were OK, but had Crocs existed (maybe they did, but I didn't know about them), they would have been ideal.

My feet still like to relax at night, even if I am awake all night and sleeping during the day. I also brought a sweatshirt for when my body temperature would drop at about 3-4 am.

Waverly
07-27-2007, 12:30 PM
I am exposed to many, many body fluids on a daily basis. I can put my Crocs under a tap, wash them with antibacterial handwash, dry them, and spray them with alcohol spray and they are good to go in about 3 minutes, the same can't be said of trainers or leather shoes.Apparently you can also put them in the dishwasher. I know; kinda scary.

Could they go into the autoclave, or would they warp / melt? If they could be autoclaved, I'd have to rethink whether they really were a good choice for the hospital. I'll never agree that they belong at the office though.

MagicEyes
07-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Forget Crocs--I want a pair of these (http://vibramfivefingers.com/)!

I would never, ever put my shoes in the dishwasher. That's just not right. Would you eat out of your shoes? :dubious:

I wear Birkenstocks, but not Crocs, and never with socks.

Larry Mudd
07-27-2007, 03:20 PM
I would never, ever put my shoes in the dishwasher. That's just not right.How about this? (http://craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/167345070.html) (Classic craigslist rant.)

There's a guy in my office wearing flip-flops today.

And to think that this morning I told my girlfriend that a cotton t-shirt was too casual for "casual Friday." :dubious:

MagicEyes
07-27-2007, 05:48 PM
How about this? (http://craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/167345070.html) (Classic craigslist rant.)Hahahahaha!!

:eek:

Ewww
I'm so glad I don't have roommates!

Dishwashers--they're not just for dishes anymore!

lobstermobster
07-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Some people are way the fuck too interested in what other people do. How about an explanation for you being such a nosy ass busybody. Oh, and an apology. And restituition.

WHOAAAA you're wearing tevas right now aren't you? with socks I bet!

CanvasShoes
07-28-2007, 04:27 AM
Soft AND with high arches? Really? And they're supportive? Hmmmmm..............

High arch? I guess, I never really notice. I never have had a problem not having a high enough arch in any shoe, so I guess I may be a bit flat footed.

I was just countering this misinformation.

???

Um, I know you were. Did I seem to be disagreeing with you or something? I'm confused, the post was a joke, as in "hmmm, might be worth looking into". (Another poster mentioned that they had a high arch, I wasn't "accusing" you of that or something).

I swear, I sure am glad I live/work in an area where people aren't so uptight about how you dress.Having an opinion on any given item's attractiveness (or not so attractive) qualifies as being "uptight"?

Hey, some industries have different types of what's professional regarding its workers' apparel. Some even have safety rules and stuff, like mandatory steel-toed boots (Now, my Baffins, them's some ugly footwear).

http://usahuntingsupplies.com/detail.aspx?ID=1699

enipla
07-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Hokay CanvasShoes,

Thought you where saying that they could not be soft and have a hi arch.

I was just saying that they are not hard rubber chunks. Which you agreed with Waverly on. That was what I was trying to clear up. They may look like a hard rubber chunk, but they arenít.

I thought that crocs where pretty stupid too. Iím a person that tends to stick with the things that he knows works, and doesnít stray from the path too much.

Then, when my Wife got some and liked them so much, I got some too. Then I got them for my Mom and Dad as well.

They are just functional inexpensive easy on, easy off footwear.

I think that they where originally designed as boat shoes. They float. And the cover around the toes and top protect you from kicking cleats and winches. Keen sandals are the same (except they donít float).

Your Baffins look good and warm. But I think I got ya beat on ugly.

My REAL cold weather boots are Millitary Bunnys. (http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/30221.html) Ya got to blow them up though. (as in air, they have a little valve on them that you blow into. No explosives involved)

Quint
07-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Sorry, but Iíd put Keens, Doc Martens, Born, and a few others on the list of shoes that at least builds form around function. You can buy Keens, put them on right out of the box, and go for a couple mile hike without injuring yourself. I wouldnít try that with Crocs.

Someone is going to tell me that Crocs are comfy, and therefore functional. Iíd say that they are comfy in the same way that a rubber muumuu might seem strangely comfortable when you first put it on. And you canít tell me that with neon colors and add-on flair that Croc is going after the function before style crowd.

Well, there goes the credibility of your rant right there. Hiking boots are for hiking, ugly ass Keens are for trendsters who want foot attention. They also cost four times as much as Crocs and are not nearly as good as Crocs in and around the water. I'n never buying Crocs, but they seem like a way better buy than god's ugliest shoe- the Keen.

enipla
07-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Quint

You seem to be more concerned about how the shoe looks than what it does.

Keens may look ugly to some, but they make some great walk-about sandals that protect your toes. Havenít had any of their hiking boots, so I canít comment on that.

What a surprisingly contentious subject. I tend to buy shoes that work best for me. Fit and function first. I clobed around in Vasque hikers for many a year and am SO glad that companies like Merrell came along and built some good hiking boots. At least for me.

Looking at the website, Vasque has followed suit.

irishgirl
07-28-2007, 11:43 AM
DoctorJ- my OT shoes are a pair of white kids Endeavour (http://shop.crocs.com/pc-19-4-kids-endeavor.aspx?reqid=19&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products) Crocs, see, no holes. Since the "proper" OT clogs don't come in my size, the Occupational Health department OK'd me to get Crocs without holes.

I have a pair of red kids Cayman (http://shop.crocs.com/pc-21-4-kids-cayman.aspx?reqid=21&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products) because red matches my stethoscope. I'm a girl, I get to wear red shoes if I want to, even if they are the ugliest shoes ever (just because they're ugly, doesn't make them a stupid idea).

Since I already have a spare set of scrubs, street clothes and a spare set of socks with me at night, a little splashage in the Caymans doesn't bother me, since I can wash my feet and change my socks if need be.

CanvasShoes
07-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Hokay CanvasShoes,

My REAL cold weather boots are Millitary Bunnys. (http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/30221.html) Ya got to blow them up though. (as in air, they have a little valve on them that you blow into. No explosives involved)
Yup, I know bunny boots very well, they're a beloved Alaskan institution. I used to have a great pair.

I think the difference between ugly steel-toed boots of different varieties is that the boot itself is extremely useful. The crocs, well the same, or even better comfort can be had from much more attractive shoes like various tennis shoes and trainers. And some of those are being made in the slip on/off styles nowadays.

I have a pair of very ugly UGGs, they're not the boots, they're the indoor/outdoor slipper style, great when my feet are cold indoors and I can take the dog or trash out in them. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them to the store or whatever though.

I completely understand those who are on their feet all day needing a very comfy shoe, and ugliness aside, I am surprised that the croc is supposed to be more comfortable and foot-soreness-alleviating than a good trainer.

Indygrrl
07-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this...

Well, showing one's toes, mostly. I hate seeing people just out and about in the suburbs with bare feet and sandles.

But in a general sense, I've always felt like sandles just shouldn't be worn as general footwear, in the same sense that your not supposed to wear sweatpants just any old time. Maybe that makes me a snob, but I feel like these are functional clothing, and while there's a time and a place for such things, outside of the proper context it just isn't okay to wear them.

I don't feel that strongly about it, but I do think that if you don't have the time and energy to maintain a decent pedicure you shouldn't be wearing shoes that show your feet. And I think men in sandals is horrendous, sorry guys. :D

elfkin477
07-29-2007, 10:30 PM
I like my Crocs. I bought them years ago for 30 bucks, and wear them about 3 seasons out if the year. Sometimes with socks.

They are hands down the best value in footwear I have ever had. Wow, I can't believe people would pay $30 for those things. I figured $10 tops for the privilege of looking like an overgrown toddler. Maybe they're less weird in colors other than toxic waste green and day-glow orange.

Waverly
07-30-2007, 10:01 AM
My REAL cold weather boots are Millitary Bunnys. (http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/30221.html) Ya got to blow them up though. (as in air, they have a little valve on them that you blow into. No explosives involved)I kinda like them, but don't wear true white after Labor Day.

Waverly
07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Well, there goes the credibility of your rant right there. Hiking boots are for hiking, ugly ass Keens are for trendsters who want foot attention. Well, I suppose it could be a desperate cry for foot attention, but Iíve run upwards of 10 miles through rocky sand and surf in Keen and Solomon amphibious hikers without injury. Yeah, thatís anecdotal evidence, but it tends to make me believe that they can work as advertised. You could not pay me enough to try that in Crocs. My health is too important.

Catamount
07-30-2007, 12:09 PM
I kinda like them, but don't wear true white after Labor Day.

Why is that? I've never understood the reason for that rule. Is it so you don't lose your shoes in the snow? (Seriously, I really don't know.)

Waverly
07-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Why is that? I've never understood the reason for that rule. Is it so you don't lose your shoes in the snow? (Seriously, I really don't know.)I dunno. Do I seem like the type of person who would ever wear white shoes?

cher3
07-30-2007, 02:16 PM
I think the only justification for the white rule has historically been that you're supposed to dress in more autumn/wintery colors. Probaby a conspiracy of the fashion industry.

lobstermobster
07-30-2007, 06:27 PM
white accessories and white in light weight fabrics is about as summery as you can get. Its just a guideline to keep your clothes within the season. You can wear white pants, dresses, belts, bags and shoes starting on easter sunday and ending on labor day. There is "winter white" that is more a creamy off white made in heavier fabrics. Its just a tradition thing. I know some people don't give a fuck about anything but I think its nice. I like silly traditions even if they dont make sense. Do any really make that much sense?

CanvasShoes
07-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I kinda like them, but don't wear true white after Labor Day.
:D

Good one.

BiblioCat
07-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, I suppose it could be a desperate cry for foot attention, but Iíve run upwards of 10 miles through rocky sand and surf in Keen and Solomon amphibious hikers without injury. Yeah, thatís anecdotal evidence, but it tends to make me believe that they can work as advertised. You could not pay me enough to try that in Crocs. My health is too important.
Probably a good idea. Crocs are not running shoes, nor are they advertised as such.

Kyla
07-31-2007, 03:31 AM
What a surprisingly contentious subject. I tend to buy shoes that work best for me. Fit and function first. I clobed around in Vasque hikers for many a year and am SO glad that companies like Merrell came along and built some good hiking boots. At least for me.

Looking at the website, Vasque has followed suit.

Do Vasques have a bad reputation or something? I'm not much of an outdoorsperson, but I have a pair of Vasques that I wear practically every day cool enough to necessitate socks. I love them. I have really narrow feet, so I was concerned about getting blisters from my feet sliding around inside the shoe, but the salesguy at the camping store guided me to these Vasques and I couldn't be happier. (Well, except that they are apparently not kitty-resistant. When my cat was a teensy kitty he constantly tried to destroy these shoes, and as a result there are a couple of ripped seams on the outside. Not that big a deal.)

enipla
07-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Do Vasques have a bad reputation or something? I'm not much of an outdoorsperson, but I have a pair of Vasques that I wear practically every day cool enough to necessitate socks. I love them. I have really narrow feet, so I was concerned about getting blisters from my feet sliding around inside the shoe, but the salesguy at the camping store guided me to these Vasques and I couldn't be happier. (Well, except that they are apparently not kitty-resistant. When my cat was a teensy kitty he constantly tried to destroy these shoes, and as a result there are a couple of ripped seams on the outside. Not that big a deal.)I guess I gave the wrong impression. No, I wouldn't say they have a bad rep at all. They where the standard for hiking boots for years.

For myself though, I much prefer the lighter weight hiking boots. And as I said, Vasque is offering up this now as well.

This type (http://shutterpoint.com/Photos-ViewPhoto.cfm?id=434959) is what I 'clobed' around in. Mine where a bit older, bigger and heavier. I much prefer the lighter weight materials and fit of the new designs.

Waverly
07-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Probably a good idea. Crocs are not running shoes, nor are they advertised as such.Explain then how Crocs can be described as comfy shoes suitable for being on your feet all day when a 10 mile run in them would probably cause serious injury. Meanwhile shoes that will hold up to a 10 mile run are being described here as even more excessive fashion trends. Seriously. I donít get it. I think people are being taken in by what might seem comfortable during a few minute test drive and the convenience factor.

I donít find it likely that an injection molded, mono-material clog is going to outperform composite designs stitched and glued over a shoe last in any category other than low cost manufacturing.

BiblioCat
07-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Explain then how Crocs can be described as comfy shoes suitable for being on your feet all day when a 10 mile run in them would probably cause serious injury. Meanwhile shoes that will hold up to a 10 mile run are being described here as even more excessive fashion trends.
There's a huge difference between shoes made for athletic activity (like running over rocky terrain) and shoes made for people who are on their feet all day at work (standing and walking around), like nurses. If you can't understand that, I don't know how to explain it any better.

I don't know anything about the extreme athletic shoes. I do sit and page through the Gall's (http://galls.com/easearchresult.html?question=Women%27s%20Footwear&searchaction=1&path=All%20Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch%3DAll%20Products%20%3B%3B%20Venture%5Fid%3D503185%2F%2F%2F %2FFootwear) catalog and wish I could buy various expensive leather boots. THAT'S what I wear to work. I have two pairs, Magnums and Thorogoods. They take about two weeks to break in, and then they're very comfy.
That's my most expensive footwear. I have a $40 pair of Nikes, and the rest is from Target or Payless.

Waverly
07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
There's a huge difference between shoes made for athletic activity (like running over rocky terrain) and shoes made for people who are on their feet all day at work (standing and walking around), like nurses. If you can't understand that, I don't know how to explain it any better.I see. Itís so simple that you canít explain it. Itís axiomatic, so why bother. Only a fool would not understand that a performance shoe capable of doing much more than you are asking it to do is poor choice for the hospital or the office, and that what you really need in those situations is a lower performing shoe.

I suppose people who donít commute very far to work would find Pirelli tires unsuitable, and should carve their tires from blocks of wood.

Geobabe
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
I see. Itís so simple that you canít explain it. Itís axiomatic, so why bother. Only a fool would not understand that a performance shoe capable of doing much more than you are asking it to do is poor choice for the hospital or the office, and that what you really need in those situations is a lower performing shoe.

I suppose people who donít commute very far to work would find Pirelli tires unsuitable, and should carve their tires from blocks of wood.

Why on earth would someone who simply needs to stand or walk inside a building all day demand a shoe that they can also run 10 miles in? You seem to be insisting that if a shoe can't perform both, then it's useless, which is rather strange reasoning. Why buy a $100+ pair of shoes when one that costs much less will do what you need it to? Similarly, someone who only needs to drive a short distance to work will probably be fine with, say, a Goodyear rather than a Pirelli.

enipla
07-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Yep, just like hiking boots donít translate into good running shoes. They can be comfortable though.

Crocs are good for certain things. Just like running shoes or hiking boots. Many people say they are good if your on your feet all day. I have no reason not to believe them.

I wear medium/light hikers, running shoes or clogs. Different shoes for different stuff. Though Iíll wear any of them to the office. Depends on the weather.

Waverly, itís pretty clear youíve never worn a pair of crocs, as you seem to think they are hot hard rubber chunks. Yet even though you havenít worn a pair, you donít believe that other people can find them comfortable. Ummmmm. Ooookay. What is it to you what other people like in a shoe?

Waverly
07-31-2007, 10:23 AM
You seem to be insisting that if a shoe can't perform both, then it's useless, which is rather strange reasoning.No, I am not insisting this. I am reacting to statements about Crocs being better, not just adequate or good enough, while performance shoes have been described by at least a few as nothing more than fashion trends themselves. I find that odd.

I havenít once suggested that more costly means better, though I did say that Crocs would be damned inexpensive to produce.

Waverly
07-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Waverly, itís pretty clear youíve never worn a pair of crocs, as you seem to think they are hot hard rubber chunks.Youíd have better luck wresting a pair of ballet slippers onto an alligator than putting a pair of Crocs on me. Going back to my OP, first and foremost I find them a ridiculous example of style over form and function. As I hinted, and someone else said outright, they look like they were designed to appeal to, and be easy for a severely mentally handicapped person to don and doff.

See what I mean? (http://www1.jibbitz.com/?chk=crxfrnt)

jsgoddess
07-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Only a fool would not understand that a performance shoe capable of doing much more than you are asking it to do is poor choice for the hospital or the office, and that what you really need in those situations is a lower performing shoe.

I don't understand your insistence that a running shoe would be the best choice for not-running.

And the continued argument from personal incredulity is tiresome. You haven't worn them (neither have I) so what do you know about them? Nothing. You know only what you assume and discard the input of actual wearers. That's goofy.

BiblioCat
07-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Those decorations are targeted at kids, not the 'severely mentally handicapped.'
:rolleyes:

Waverly
07-31-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't understand your insistence that a running shoe would be the best choice for not-running.Not quite my point, as I tried to explain to Geobabe.And the continued argument from personal incredulity is tiresome. You haven't worn them (neither have I) so what do you know about them? Nothing.You seem kinda slow on the uptake. Are you SURE you donít wear Crocs? Iím not conducting a scientific study. Iím not surveying IMHO. If you donít like my stated reasons for loathing Crocs, than try to grasp this: I think they look fucking ridiculous. I hate the bright colors. I hate the snap on flair. I have a visceral negative reaction to some doofus wearing them to a sit-down restaurant. Pretend I donít have a single logical reason for disliking them if it makes you feel better, and just listen to me say, I fucking hate them!

jsgoddess
07-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Pretend I donít have a single logical reason for disliking them if it makes you feel better, and just listen to me say, I fucking hate them!

I don't need to pretend you don't have a logical reason, since if you had one you would have said. I really don't care if you hate them. No skin off my nose. Just don't try to hide the irrational hatred behind a veil of logic and reason.

If you had just stuck to "I hate them I hate them!" I wouldn't have said anything. I don't think they are attractive either.

But you keep trying to defend your position using things you don't know anything about. You say they're uncomfortable though you've never worn them. You say that they don't function the way wearers say.

Stick with what you know. You know you hate them. Now we all know you hate them, too. Don't try to defend with logic a position you didn't arrive at logically.

BiblioCat
07-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Not quite my point, as I tried to explain to Geobabe.
What I got out of that was you thought that if Crocs were so comfortable for people who had to be on their feet all day, then they should perform like an expensive running shoe.

enipla
07-31-2007, 11:18 AM
and be easy for a severely mentally handicapped person to don and doffHuh. Well thatís one of the reasons I like them. I have to watch out what I wear on my feet and rotate shoes. Otherwise, I risk stinky feet and athletes feet. The crocs alow good ventalation and allow me to kick them off and on.

I also like them for knocking around the house on a lazy weekend morning. Donít really need to put my running shoes on for that. Does that make them better than running shoes? For knocking around the house on a lazy weekend morning, you bet.

I find them a ridiculous example of style over form and functionYet youíve never worn a pair. Lets see if you want an easy to put on and off, comfortable, easy to clean, light weight, durable (far as I can tell) shoe, Iíd say they handle form and function down pretty well.

Waverly
07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
What I got out of that was you thought that if Crocs were so comfortable for people who had to be on their feet all day, then they should perform like an expensive running shoe.That wasnít my intent. There were a number of people who essentially said, ďYou think Crocs are bad, what about Teva/Keen/etc.? They are just as goofy and are expensive to boot.Ē I said I think they are different. Those examples might be ugly, but in large part their ugliness is because they are tools as much as shoes. Keens might be over designed for a walk down to the beach, but of course they can do it Ė plus a whole lot more if required. Whether you agree with me or not, I think most people who wear red Crocs are wearing them because they are red Crocs, not because they are ideally designed for whatever it is that a person who would wear red Crocs does.

You can argue with me, insist that Iím not being rational (maybe not), and fantasize about chaining me to the wall and forcing me to wear yellow Crocs with jiblets (or whatever those button thingies are called.) Thatís all fine, and hopefully you take any of my negative comments about people who wear Crocs in good humor. All except for one, anyway. This one: I would never, ever been seen in the company of someone wearing Crocs, and yes it is because I am so very much better than that. :cool:

Flea
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
I have to say, props to Waverly for keeping up the hate. I would have moved on by now, but apparently, I have found someone who hates crocs more than I. Hats off, sir.

Larry Mudd
07-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Those decorations are targeted at kids, not the 'severely mentally handicapped.'
:rolleyes:Actually, they're very carefully designed (http://dailycamera.com/bdc/local_business/article/0,1713,BDC_2461_4946260,00.html) for children and adults.The Schmelzers said their biggest challenge has been finding a solid Jibbitz design. The holes in adults' and kids' Crocs are different sizes, but they wanted one Jibbitz that would fit them all.Maybe it's because the first pair of Crocs I ever noticed were on the feet of someone who was mentally handicapped, but they look designed for that purpose to me as well. (Even more than Docs, which were designed for use by mental patients - or is that an urban legend?)

xcheopis
07-31-2007, 11:56 AM
I see. Itís so simple that you canít explain it. Itís axiomatic, so why bother. Only a fool would not understand that a performance shoe capable of doing much more than you are asking it to do is poor choice for the hospital or the office, and that what you really need in those situations is a lower performing shoe.

For someone who claims to be a runner, you are woefully ignorant of the different types of stress to which one subjects one's feet while running, walking, or standing.

Running shoes are, as actual runners know, designed to accomodate the high-impact stress at specific areas of the feet and are also not designed to be worn all day, every day. Walking/standing-around-all-day shoes are designed for low-impact stress over a broader area of the foot and, obviously, are designed to be worn all day, every day.

Your "high performance" shoe isn't actually worthless for low-impact activities but it's pretty close. That, along with those "high performance" shoes not being intended for all day wear and thus wearing out quite quickly, makes them a ridiculous alternative to the ugly-but-comfy shoes.

Waverly
07-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Running shoes are, as actual runners know, designed to accomodate the high-impact stress at specific areas of the feet and are also not designed to be worn all day, every day.Iíll assume for the moment that you are asking for clarification and not suggesting Iíd have any reason to lie about being a regular runner.

I do most of my running on the road, track, or paths and for this I use dedicated running shoes. I wouldnít wear them for anything else. Some time during the course of this thread I used the example of hiking of running over sand and surf. I would use Solomon or Keen hikers for this, and unlike my running shoes, would also wear these shoes casually.

Catamount
07-31-2007, 04:35 PM
See what I mean? (http://www1.jibbitz.com/?chk=crxfrnt)

A while back, PetSmart was selling Hermit Crab Bling kits containing sparkly puffs, sequins, and fake jewels to glue on your hermit crab shells. I thought I had seen the pinnacle of tacky. These decals do not surpass the crab blinging, but someone, somewhere is gluing sequins to their Crocs. That, my fellow Dopers, will be the pinnacle of tacky.

Yookeroo
07-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Going back to my OP, first and foremost I find them a ridiculous example of style over form and function. As I hinted, and someone else said outright, they look like they were designed to appeal to, and be easy for a severely mentally handicapped person to don and doff.

You say they are about style over function. But then you claim they aren't all that stylish? :confused:

Crocs are one of the best examples of form & function over style. No one buys them for their style, it's all about how comfortable they are.

Waverly
07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh, they (http://static.flickr.com/68/186749173_b0ecb81cbc_m.jpg) have a style (http://crocfans.com/images/Croc-spots/mario-in-crocs.jpg) of sorts. (http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060629/060629_crocsClog_hmed_1p.hmedium.jpg)

enipla
07-31-2007, 09:11 PM
So you donít like the way they look. The links in your post just showed some people having fun.

You have never worn a pair, yet you claim they are uncomfortable.

You could really use a chill pill.

Itís funny. I never owned open heal clogs. Didnít see them as very practical for my life living in the mountains where we have snow 6 months out of the year.

I changed my mind. Not because of what some other person considered a good looking shoe, but because my Wife liked them. She got good use out of them.

Thatís the key.

You Waverly are a silly goose to care so much about what other people like that you quite obviously know nothing about.

I'm a sillier goose for giving a darn what you think, other to say that sometimes, I like to defend those odd things that come down the pike that I just happen to find useful.

Crocs are one of the best examples of form & function over style. No one buys them for their style, it's all about how comfortable they are. And simple practicality.

A simple, open heal clog, with a strap if you want.

They are great for just knocking about.

I like Keens too. Merrells fit me as well. And Nikes.

I have another option.

Life is good.

Scarlett67
08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I just thought the OP should know that I bought my first pair of Crocs yesterday, thanks in large part to this thread. They're ORANGE, too, so as to complement the largest proportion of my summer wardrobe. I'll pick up more pairs when I have the cash.

And boy are they cushy & comfy. No complaints so far.

:cool:

Waverly
08-02-2007, 04:50 PM
I just thought the OP should know that I bought my first pair of Crocs yesterday, thanks in large part to this thread.Jeez. And I used to think you were cool, Scarlett. Well, not really, but I was willing to fake it.

At least post a pic of the orange Crocs so that I can have a laugh.

Scarlett67
08-03-2007, 01:06 PM
At least post a pic of the orange Crocs so that I can have a laugh.
Here ya go! (http://kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&mode=fromsite&collid=689756273110.924234354110.1186158330428&conn_speed=1) (Hey, this world can use all the laughs it can get.)

Waverly
08-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for being a good sport, but that link doesn't work.

Scarlett67
08-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Dang, I tested it . . . OK, try this one. (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/scarlett67/?action=view&current=Crocs.jpg)

Waverly
08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Dang, I tested it . . . OK, try this one. (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/scarlett67/?action=view&current=Crocs.jpg)Cool. :)

Well, since I did such a poor job talking you out of them, I may as well tell you to enjoy them.

OpalCat
08-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I really don't get why people care what shoes other people wear. I think a lot of Crocs are ugly, but last summer I bought a pair of the knock-off brand for wearing around the lake (dashing from the cottage to the dock, or going in the boat, etc... flip flops let too much dirt onto your feet, fall off too easily, plus I hate having something between my toes--it hurts) and I especially liked that they float. I didn't find them very comfortable, because my toenails would catch against the inside roof of the shoe. Now before anyone says "good god, cut your nails!" this is right after cutting my nails. They aren't long, they're just THICK. So I have a pronounced ridge where the nail drops off, and that would catch on the shoe and it felt icky. I now wonder if the pair I got was just too big? maybe if they weren't so loose on my feet this wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I hate wearing shoes of any kind, ever. I far, far prefer to be barefoot. I find shoes to be horribly stifling--like wearing ski gloves all the time or a big parka. For this reason, I'd consider getting a better-fitting pair of Crocs and seeing if they work as an errand-running shoe. I hate hate HATE wearing sneakers because they just enclose my foot too much, and they're too heavy, and I can't move my toes, etc. If I could find a shoe that was light weight and let me move my foot I'd be happy. Don't know if Crocs would do that but I'd give them a try. Right now I usually wear Birkenstocks because while they aren't light, they at least allow me to feel air on my feet and let me wiggle my toes. Do I think they look good? Eh, never really thought about it, since I didn't buy them for looking good. And if someone is going to fall over and have a seizure because they saw me wearing Birkenstocks (or, gasp, because they SAW MY TOES!!!) then they are welcome to do so. I may point and laugh as they flop around gasping for breath. Anyone that concerned about other people's appearance really needs therapy.

Waverly
08-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Anyone that concerned about other people's appearance really needs therapy.There are those that admit that they make judgments about people based on appearance, and then there are those that are fooling themselves.

kittenblue
08-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm on my feet for 10 hours or more a day....I think this thread has convinced me to buy some Crocs. But since Crocs are specifically forbidden in our company dress code, I thought I'd never be able to wear them at work, with my skirts and dresses...until I clicked on that link to the Prima. Come payday, I'm getting them.

OpalCat
08-04-2007, 11:51 AM
There are those that admit that they make judgments about people based on appearance, and then there are those that are fooling themselves.
Everybody makes judgements (internally) based on people's appearance. What I said was anyone that concerned with other people's appearance. I implied a level that went beyond what a normal person feels. Some of the people in this thread are absurd in their judgmentalness, and petty beyond all reason, and quite willing to push their personal opinions on others.

eleanorigby
08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
My Crocs came on Monday. I wore them around the house, to "break them in"--like I've had to do every other leather shoe or athletic shoe in my life. So habituated am I by breaking in new shoes, that I even took my old shoes (with orthotics) to work with me in a bag, just in case.

These Crocs are like manna from heaven. I have never worn such a comfortable pair of shoes, ever. I have the Pearl ones (closest I could get to white) with the side vent holes. My feet do NOT ache at the end of the day; my knees do not crack and pop. I've worn them for 3 days in a row at work, 8-12 hours at a time. No blisters, no hint of blisters, no heel pain-nothing.

I am sold. The surgical nurses have some wild ones--swirled lime green and acid yellow to just name one. That is not my style, but in an OR, as long as proper cleanliness is adhered to-who cares?

I don't like the holes on top for practitioners--there is too much risk for spatters and body fluids.

All that said--and a special :dubious: :rolleyes: for the "southern belle" here who must wear uncomfortable heels for what purpose god only knows--I drove past a busy bus stop yesterday. There was a middle aged woman there, dressed in pink Bermuda shorts, tank top and hot pink Crocs. Yes, she did look stupid, but I'll bet she was comfortable and on a 90+ degree day-more power to her.

I am looking at Croc's sandals as well, and perhaps some closed toe ones for winter.

I'll keep my $600 not covered by insurance orthotics for all my other shoes--including my running shoes (not that I run anymore--it hurts too damned much).

eleanorigby
08-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Missed the edit window. My point re the breaking in stuff was that from the first moment I put them on, these shoes have been comfortable-no blisters, period.

they'renotreallywhitebutlookithere (http://shop.crocs.com/pc-23-4-professional.aspx?reqid=23&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear&section=products)

I wish they were white--that's the hardest thing for me (I'm old school and like nurses in white shoes), but they're a light gray instead. I'll cope.

And re the whole high heel thing: in the 80s, tons of women started wearing their Reeboks to work and changing into their heels once at the office. To me this means that female fashion needs to adapt a bit to allow more "acceptable" expressions in footwear for professionals etc.

CanvasShoes
08-05-2007, 03:23 AM
..snip.
I am sold. The surgical nurses have some wild ones--swirled lime green and acid yellow to just name one. That is not my style, but in an OR, as long as proper cleanliness is adhered to-who cares?

I don't like the holes on top for practitioners--there is too much risk for spatters and body fluids.

I heard on some news show (I don't always get to hear the entire news reports due to work), that some healthcare facilities were considering banning crocs for this very reason.

Tamex
08-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I heard on some news show (I don't always get to hear the entire news reports due to work), that some healthcare facilities were considering banning crocs for this very reason.

They do make Crocs without those vent holes. If you click on Crocs for Work (http://shop.crocs.com/CrocsSubProducts.aspx?from=crocs%20work%20models&grouptype=5&reqid=1010&reqProdTypeId=4&subsectionname=footwear&section=products), you will see that they are going to have a model that has a more closed heel as well. I might get a pair like that for this winter.

jsgoddess
08-05-2007, 03:55 PM
They do make Crocs without those vent holes. If you click on Crocs for Work (http://shop.crocs.com/CrocsSubProducts.aspx?from=crocs%20work%20models&grouptype=5&reqid=1010&reqProdTypeId=4&subsectionname=footwear&section=products), you will see that they are going to have a model that has a more closed heel as well. I might get a pair like that for this winter.

The all-terrain ones are the only ones I have any interest in. No exposed heels for meeee.

Catamount
08-06-2007, 09:13 AM
I might be more open to getting a ballet flat or the fancy sandals for work if they didn't have the brand name stamped on the straps. That kind of thing is for sneakers.

Actually....*checks shoes*...if I didn't tell you that I'm wearing Cherokee sneakers, you wouldn't know. My feet are not your advertisements. This is for the good of all mankind.

Best Topics: artisan vs craftsman my queue puredee com is chorizo hot alan keys 64 sides bar ditch universal humor useless people small clown car boys comparing dicks wholesale antiques mcmxcvii meaning track fedex vehicle anno catuli car ceiling handle ww2 helmet net 5'7 male opposite of factorial terrance phillip transition lens review captain farrell otomy vs ectomy kosher vegeterian hard bruise check vs cheque public autopsy report motel living sun headache dinah shore child taiwan letters limburger cheese spread crackhead car barb wire tattoo headless thompson gunner prison cups manly drinks that taste good how to figure out what sound card you have dell laptop mouse pad not scrolling lg energy saver air conditioner queerer than a two dollar bill how long are quarters in nba harbor freight trailer replacement bearings how long was a tour of duty in vietnam best john steinbeck books heather bresch is a cunt turn signal stopped working how to ejaculate farther what does bub mean two wild and crazy guys family guy is vegetable oil biodegradable ww2 scrap metal drives why did some northerners support personal liberty laws? i got nothing for christmas home depot pressure treated wood united states in spanish abbreviation that went over my head what to do when you miss a shot of dope origin of john jacob jingleheimer schmidt clean water action austin how to tune a cb radio without a swr meter threw up in my mouth meme how to sharpen a knife with a curved blade full contact strip club can you remove your own stitches how to measure rainfall with a bucket where is the broiler in my electric oven difference between uptown and downtown kratom capsules vs. hydrocodone if i was the king of the world where to buy a black light for pet urine