PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini

Chanteuse
07-25-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm putting this in CS because it's about a song, but it's also a poll, so if it's in the wrong forum, I'll trust the mods to move it!

When you hear the song Itsy-Bitsy Teeny-Weeny Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini, how do you picture the swimsuit in your mind? Is it white with yellow polka dots, or is it yellow with polka dots of another color?

I always see it as yellow, with pink polka-dots (a YELLOW, polka-dot bikini), but my mom says she always thinks of it as white with yellow dots (a YELLOW POLKA-DOT bikini).

Mom got to thinking about it and wondered what the Dope would say, and since she hasn't subscribed yet, I told her I'd start the thread for her! So come on, fellow Dopers and give her something to read about! :)

Oh, and....

HI, MOM!!!! :cool:

missbunny
07-25-2007, 12:03 PM
I think it's either yellow with white polka dots, or white with yellow polka dots. I mostly imagine yellow with white.

Occasionally I think it's yellow with black polka dots. But no other colors, ever.

They are always somewhat large dots; about an inch across. Not small dots.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Yellow with black (or possibly white) polka dots.

White with yellow dots would look terrible.

ShiefferSaw
07-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Theres a yogurt commercial with this song playing. They show it as a yellow bikini with pink polka dots.

Alessan
07-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Yellow, with blue polka dots.

Philster
07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
My mental image: yellow w/ white dots.

If I recall correctly, standard polka dot fashion was a certain color garment covered with white polka dots. Brown with white dots...blue with white dots....etc.

Of course, since I am 40 and was about 5 y/o when polka dots were on their way 'out', I could be completely nuts.

Spoons
07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
The suit is yellow, with white (though possibly black) polka dots. Either way, the dots are definitely on a yellow background.

Freudian Slit
07-25-2007, 12:45 PM
I think white dots on a yellow background.

(Am I being influenced by that yogurt commercial? It's a yellow background, as ShiefferShaw mentioned. Perhaps I would've seen yellow dots on some other background if I hadn't seen the ad.)

Fiver
07-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Yellow with red polka dots.

Anastasaeon
07-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Yellow with white polka dots.

StinkyBurrito
07-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Theres a yogurt commercial with this song playing. They show it as a yellow bikini with pink polka dots.
I've thought about this a lot since that commercial came out. I saw that commercial and immediately thought to myself "What the heck, I didn't picture it that way at all!" Needless to say, I thought of it as having yellow dots.

Dung Beetle
07-25-2007, 12:50 PM
People! The bikini is yellow with black polka dots. Don't make me take this to the Pit, yo.

Hi, Chanteuse's mom!

ShibbOleth
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Yellow with black dots. And the bikini itself is small, as are the dots.

gigi
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I see it in the commercial as yellow with red polka dots. And now that's how I see it when I hear the song.

Beofre that, probably yellow with white, or yellow with purple dots if I was amalgamating novelty songs in my head -- this one with One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater.

MrDibble
07-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Yellow with multicoloured dots. Like the Polkaroo...

neorxnawange
07-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Yellow with red dots. Don't know why

Rube E. Tewesday
07-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Yellow with multicoloured dots. Like the Polkaroo...

Hijack: Whoa, they get Polkaroo in South Africa?

Liberal
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Yellow with white polka dots.Same same for me.

Yllaria
07-25-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm obviously in the minority, but it's always been white with yellow polka dots to me. First heard it as a child, of course.

BJMoose
07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
This is strange. I've heard the song since it came out, but I don't think I ever imagined the actual color scheme, just the bikini itself (and its precious contents). Perhaps yellow with dark dots (brown or black).

Thudlow Boink
07-25-2007, 01:39 PM
No one knows. Between the locker room, the blanket, and the water, we never get to see the bikini.

Liberal
07-25-2007, 01:48 PM
The song (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lwGnyLPSruA).

Skammer
07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
It would appear to be, as I always suspected, a yellow bikini (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MR98gRckjmY) with dark brown or black dots.

appleciders
07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
It's yellow with orange or red dots.

JThunder
07-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Itsy bitsy, teeny weeny. That's all that comes to mind.

AskNott
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I picture a yellow bikini with black spots. The song first surfaced a long time ago, and today's bikinis are much teeny weenier and itsy bitsier than they were then. Some of today's IBTWYPDBs don't have enough fabric to cover a baseball. There's barely room for three polka dots. ;)

Elendil's Heir
07-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Yellow with red dots. Don't know why

Gryffindor colors, of course.

bouv
07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Yellow with black dots. Any other way is wrong. :p

MovieMogul
07-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Yellow with either black or colored dots, but never white dots.

Skywatcher
07-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Paul Vance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Vance) has said that the bikini which inspired the song had yellow dots. No word on what the background color was.

His wife was the one who bought the bikini in question but, being too chicken to actually wear it, altered it to fit their two-year old. It's the daughter who is hiding in the locker, blanket, and water, too shy for anyone to see.

Khadaji
07-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Yellow with red polka dots. And the woman has nice hooters.

Billdo
07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Yellow with black dots. And the bikini itself is small, as are the dots.

Actually, it is yellow with black dots, but the dots are fairly large. (The suit, of course, is itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny)

flickster
07-25-2007, 02:48 PM
ALWAYS have pictured it as yellow with polka dots - but strange that I've never assigned a color to the dots :dubious: Not sure what that says about me...

What Exit?
07-25-2007, 02:48 PM
I always pictured Yellow with Black polka-dots and being in the style of the Beach movies of the Sixties.

Actually I tend to picture the young Tuesday Weld (http://imdb.com/name/nm0001839/) wearing it.

Jim

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
07-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I had the idea that the picture sleeve of the record might have an artist's conception of the garment in question. (No luck--it's a picture of Brian Hyland (http://rewindshow.com/pics/BrianHylandAlbum.gif).) But doing a Google image search on the terms "itsy bitsy teeny weeny"--even without getting to the bikini part--led to some quite interesting results (even with "moderate SafeSearch" on). This (http://wvdnr.gov/Wildlife/Turtle.shtm) was the funniest result, though. There's your answer: black with yellow polka dots.

rucciface
07-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Yellow, with black dots.

Drunky Smurf
07-25-2007, 05:51 PM
another for yellow with black dots.

and the bikini is so small it is considered indecent exposure if one ever wore it out in public.

cookeze
07-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Look at how the words go when you guys describe your idea of it:

Yellow with black polka-dots
Yellow with blue polka-dots
Yellow with red polka-dots.

What is it about yellow polka-dots that's so hard to understand?

Freudian Slit
07-25-2007, 06:37 PM
But I feel like I hear a pause between yellow and polka dot. So it's not yellow polka dot bikini. It's more like yellow, polka dot bikini.

stretch
07-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Yellow with white polka dots, as was the fashion of the time (my mom had a blue with white dots suit).

Mangetout
07-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Yellow, with yellow dots of a different shade.

stretch
07-25-2007, 07:27 PM
You're just being difficult. :p

Diogenes the Cynic
07-25-2007, 07:36 PM
A Google image search on "yellow polka dot bikini" turns up almost exclusively suits with yellow backgrounds and white or black dots.

Liberal
07-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Edlyn says white bikini with yellow polka dots.

robardin
07-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Yellow with red polka dots.
Same here. Though my wife said she always pictured a yellow bikini with white dots.

phouka
07-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Huh. Never questioned this before. I see it as yellow background, black dots.

Also, for some reason, that song is inextricably linked with One Eyed, One Horned, Giant Purple People Eater in my brain.

Mangetout
07-25-2007, 08:28 PM
You're just being difficult. :p
I despise ambiguity.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
07-25-2007, 08:34 PM
From hearing the song in the yogurt commercial, it surprises me that "she was afraid to come out of the locker'. Did "locker" used to mean something else, like a little changing hut? Or maybe locker *room*?

guizot
07-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I've heard the song only one or two times, and it seemed to me that the point of the song was that it was a tiny bikini. Yes, something about it was yelllow, but the fact that it was "revealing" was the point of the song. Whether the dots were yellow, or the bikini itself, were yellow is not really important.

But to me [not to hijack], what really matters is why this pattern is called "polka dot"? I'm not a fan of polka, but why should these dots be named after polka music?

panache45
07-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm old enough to remember when polka dots were all the rage, and white was the default color for the dots, unless stated otherwise. "Yellow polka-dot" would have meant yellow with large white dots, or possibly the reverse, but if any other color was involved, it would have been mentioned.

anyrose
07-25-2007, 10:05 PM
white with yellow dots
possibly pink with yellow dots
but not yellow with some other color dots

DesertDog
07-25-2007, 10:57 PM
From hearing the song in the yogurt commercial, it surprises me that "she was afraid to come out of the locker'. Did "locker" used to mean something else, like a little changing hut? Or maybe locker *room*?I'm guessing it scans better than "cabana." I don't think they had locker rooms much at the beach.

Helena
07-25-2007, 10:59 PM
I could have sworn we did this thread before. Maybe it was somewhere else.

Rhiannon8404
07-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I think yellow with white dots.

robardin
07-25-2007, 11:13 PM
But to me [not to hijack], what really matters is why this pattern is called "polka dot"? I'm not a fan of polka, but why should these dots be named after polka music?
According to the Wikipedia article on polka dots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polka_dot): While polka dots are ancient, they first became common on clothing in the late nineteenth century in Britain. At the same time polka music was extremely popular and the name was also applied to the pattern, despite no real connection between them.

To dovetail back into the original thread topic, this sort of "naming by coincidental concurrent event" is also how the name "bikini" for the outfit came about; the two-piece outfit was popularized right around the time the Bikini Atolls were in the news due to them being used for H-bomb testing). And "ball point pens" are called (literally) "atomic pens" in Chinese for the same reason.

And I'll note that the picture given is a yellow background with red dots. Just like I imagined the bikini in the song, ha ha!

Kozmik
07-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Theres a yogurt commercial with this song playing. They show it as a yellow bikini with pink polka dots.Well, that settles it. :rolleyes:

MrDibble
07-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Hijack: Whoa, they get Polkaroo in South Africa?

well, when I was a lot younger, yeah, we had Polka Dot Door.

Least Original User Name Ever
07-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Yellow with white polka dots as well.

And she's fiiiiiiine as hell.

Wolfian
07-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Río by Duran Duran.

congodwarf
07-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Black with yellow dots and the dots are medium sized.

A2Steve
07-26-2007, 12:26 PM

This past weekend, I saw a suit that made me think of the song - it was indeed yellow with paler yellow dots.

ralph124c
07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Why don't they update this..it is so 1960's..how about 'yellow polkadot thing bikini"?? :confused:

BJMoose
07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Huh. Never questioned this before. I see it as yellow background, black dots.

Also, for some reason, that song is inextricably linked with One Eyed, One Horned, Giant Purple People Eater in my brain.
Purple people?!

Same here.

Moriarty
07-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Since the song causes blood to shoot out of my ears, I'm always too distracted to think about how the bikini looks.

Elendil's Heir
07-26-2007, 01:27 PM
You should see a doctor about that.

Manduck
07-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Black, with yellow dots. Because it looks hottest that way.

gS49
07-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Yellow with large dark-brown dots.

I doubt that the singer cared how you pictured the outfit--you were supposed to picture her without ever seeing the bikini.

As I recall, bikinis used more material back then. Nowadays there isn't room for more than one polkadot on a proper bikini. :p

Not that that's a bad thing.

Best Topics: pun bar names mentally retarded animals taboo refill cards glass iv bottles bigest poop ever cvc 21651 super glue polyethylene kreacher harry potter freebase caffeine monocular define tylenol 222 going dutch origin pax runflat swallowing phlegm iocane powder. make paint thicker ford key replacement furnace blower replacement freshwater oysters confederate medals immoral pleasure seeker white grapefruits upsidedown stamp kayti edwards hustler usain bolt pronunciation usacil logo medieval nicknames doan pills everclear illegal 32 tube televisions word trademark do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup caulk large gap between tub and tile how to ground pc can a bad alternator kill a battery surrender surrender but don't give yourself away strong glues for metals adam and eve mailing list how to find out if your car was impounded returned for additional postage best john steinbeck book long dark teatime of the soul remote start installation cost best buy drew carey theme songs kick his sea bass what does lax stands for smells like burnt popcorn in my house is hawaii a continent how to clean brita water pitcher daryl knife walking dead what's the latest time fedex delivers ziploc bag in microwave handicap parking ticket private property women going commando in public where to buy little baggies what does the bible say about snitching clogged drain deep in pipe get amazon prime free trial again why is florida so cheap sharper image personal cooling system 2.0 don't stare too long into the abyss sync zune with windows media player lay some pipe urban dictionary roll your own clove cigarettes