PDA

View Full Version : Ridges on top of head?

pool
08-20-2007, 01:16 AM
I was bored and looking at the Georgia Department of Corrections website when I came across this inmate's picture:

http://dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/OffenderQuery/jsp/OffQryRedirector.jsp

What would cause such pronounced ridges on the top of a person's head like that?

Pel2na
08-20-2007, 02:01 AM
The link just got me to the GDC main page. But my mother used to tell me of a boy she knew who had a head like a peanut. Evidently the delivering doctor bore down a little too hard with the forceps. Infants skulls are extremely malleable.

Boozahol Squid, P.I.
08-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Ditto to Pelna on the main page. In addition to birth defects, you can get cosmetic implants to perfect your Klingon costume or any other sort of ridge-headed wonder.

zelie zelerton
08-20-2007, 07:18 AM
I also cannot see the picture. Maybe host it somewhere else?

The brother of a friend was born with a triangular head due to a forceps delivery and an over enthusiastic doctor. It sorta squished back into shape.

I have a groove down the side of my head for no known reason. Its mostly just the way the bones of the head have shaped themselves. When a child is born there are several skullplates which fuse into a solid whole as the child ages and its head stops growing.

BaneSidhe
08-20-2007, 08:55 AM
daHubby has a grooved place on the back of his head where the doctor clamped down too hard with the forceps while delivering him. He told daHubby's mom that it would smooth out as he got older but that never happened.

FlyingCowOfDoom
08-20-2007, 09:38 AM
I have a dent on the back of my head from when my mom dropped me as an infant. She was sick and passed out, so I don't blame her. At least it didn't seem to affect my brain at all...

--FCOD

Hypno-Toad
08-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I have grooves permanently gouged in my skull from wearing glasses since the third grade.

pool
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Well I can't find the guy's picture because I don't remember his name but these "ridges" which actually looked like a lot of wrinkles or something but they looked to be very deep were on the top, rear part of his head. I mean the guy's skin on that portion of his head looked like a shar pei and that isn't an exaggeration but I can't find any other picture of people who have it.

CrankyAsAnOldMan
08-20-2007, 10:14 AM
My son has a big ridge on his head. No forceps used in delivery. I thought it would smooth out as he got older but he's 8 now. His doctor has never remarked upon it, but I'll be following this thread with interest.

ZipperJJ
08-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Did it sort of look like actor/football player Terry Crewes (http://imdb.com/gallery/granitz/6232/Events/6232/TerryCrew_Leste_14434037_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Crews,%20Terry%20(I))' head? I've always found his head to be quite lumpy/ridgey.

pool
08-20-2007, 01:08 PM
It was way more severe and pronounced than that and also on a black male.

Judith Prietht
08-20-2007, 03:09 PM
A high school friend of mine had ridges on the top of her head, sort of like a lumpy wave. She said it was from her grandmother always turning her onto her back when she was a baby. Seems like it was just the skull fusing in an unusual way.

Spoke
08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
NBA player Shane Battier has some head ridges going on. Can't find a good picture, though.

pool
08-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Ok it took a while but I found the guy again, go to the link I gave, click offender search and search for Majors, Darius.

crowmanyclouds
08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
It was way more severe and pronounced than that and also on a black male.Wow, Terry Crewes (http://images.google.com/images?q=Terry+Crews&num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=jd&um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title) is one very tanned and very unattractive, bald goateed, white woman!

:D
CMC fnord!

outlierrn
08-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I've got a sort of a ring depression in the back of my head, always had it. When I got my buzz cut in boot camp I was henceforce known as Dent in the Head. Good times

Spoke
08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok it took a while but I found the guy again, go to the link I gave, click offender search and search for Majors, Darius.

Here's the picture (http://dcor.state.ga.us/images/offenders/0001114993.jpg).

Yeah, Shane Battier has ridges like that, though less pronounced. No idea what causes it.

Swallowed My Cellphone
08-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Here's the picture (http://dcor.state.ga.us/images/offenders/0001114993.jpg).

Yeah, Shane Battier has ridges like that, though less pronounced. No idea what causes it.
Battier's ridges aren't THAT pronounced (you can sort of see them through his hair here (http://thegbshow.com/images/interviews/shanebattierinterview.jpg). But maybe the crappy lighting in the prison picture is exaggerating them.

Unless the prisoner has some scarring or something.

pravnik
08-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Here's the picture (http://dcor.state.ga.us/images/offenders/0001114993.jpg).Holy crap. Did that guy get arrested when his ship attacked the Enterprise?

Sailboat
08-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Holy crap. Did that guy get arrested when his ship attacked the Enterprise?

Honk! I was gonna post something about him being an alien, but your response made me snort and wheeze at the same time. Very funny!

Sailboat

KneadToKnow
08-20-2007, 04:27 PM
That guy's brain is trying to escape without him!

DudleyGarrett
08-20-2007, 04:30 PM
pool, I have exactly what you're talking about. I can't go bald. It looks like my brain is coming through my scalp.

NinetyWt
08-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Could burns make scarring like that? I knew of a baby who stuck his head in the oven and got burned on the top of his head.

Also, looks like he's got some form of vitiglio.

Spoke
08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm going to put on some Slim Whitman music now (http://am.ub.es/~carrasco/bichos/marsattacks.jpg).

zelie zelerton
08-20-2007, 07:09 PM
That's....uh....different!

Do you think it would help the Georgia Department of Corrections if we emailed and pointed out that his eye-colour is brown? I can understand them not knowing what his hair colour is but I could help settle the question of the eye-colour.

pool
08-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Bump*

Perhaps a Doper with medical knowledge can weigh in on this.

Mangetout
08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Battier's ridges aren't THAT pronounced (you can sort of see them through his hair here (http://thegbshow.com/images/interviews/shanebattierinterview.jpg). But maybe the crappy lighting in the prison picture is exaggerating them.

Unless the prisoner has some scarring or something.
I've seen ridges like that on an actor somewhere - not a completely obscure one. I want to say Forest Whitaker, but I don't think it's him - someone who looks a bit like him.

picunurse
08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
It looks like scarring to me. It could have been done purposely, like tongue splitting.
Sorry, that's all I have.

Mangetout
08-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Aha!

Cutis verticis gyrata

-google it, but be warned, there are some weird photos there - including one young person that looks like they're wearing a brain as a hat.

Harmonious Discord
08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I have grooves permanently gouged in my skull from wearing glasses since the third grade.

You are the second person I've known to have this. The first being me.

I worked with a guy like that. He has a stubbly hair cut. He looks like a Shar Pei. I affects more than the top of his head.

Bryan Ekers
08-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Bump*
Bump, indeed. Yikes.

Semi-apropos smiley: :confused:

Zsofia
08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
You are the second person I've known to have this. The first being me.

I worked with a guy like that. He has a stubbly hair cut. He looks like a Shar Pei. I affects more than the top of his head.
Third - there are still earpiece-ridges in my head even though I got Lasix seven years ago.

Omega Glory
08-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Were you all wearing unusually tight glasses?

Mangetout
08-21-2007, 11:05 AM
I've got ridges from glasses - they don't have to be tight - just in place a long time.

Omega Glory
08-21-2007, 11:25 AM
I guess it must just depend on your skull. I've worn glasses full time since the age of five without getting ridges.

mlees
08-21-2007, 05:05 PM
I have ear piece impressions in the soft tissue on the sides of my head, been wearing glasses for 30 years now. It startles folks when I take my glasses off. I get the "doesn't that hurt?" looks.

Terminus Est
08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Aha!

Cutis verticis gyrata

-google it, but be warned, there are some weird photos there - including one young person that looks like they're wearing a brain as a hat.
From eMedicine (http://emedicine.com/derm/topic694.htm) [no pics, quite SFW]:
Cutis verticis gyrata (CVG) is a descriptive term for a condition of the scalp manifesting as convoluted folds and furrows formed from thickened skin of the scalp resembling cerebriform pattern. ...In 1984, Garden and Robinson improved the classification by proposing new terms: primary essential CVG for cases in which no other abnormality was found (rare) and primary nonessential, which can be associated with mental deficiency, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, schizophrenia, cranial abnormalities (microcephaly), deafness, ophthalmologic abnormalities (cataract, strabismus, blindness, retinitis pigmentosa), or a combination of these.

Harmonious Discord
08-21-2007, 05:37 PM
The ear piece seats at the skull ear junction. Run the ear pieces straight out to the rims. You compress the skin at the temple and get a crease. Somebody that has no wider point between the ear piece and rims won't get it.

vetbridge
08-21-2007, 06:39 PM
boyoboy. How could he get close enough to a kid to molest?

Swallowed My Cellphone
08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
boyoboy. How could he get close enough to a kid to molest?
Tell him his a friendly alien like E.T.?

"Cutis verticis gyrata"... Hm, eeeeenteresting.

Semi-apropos smiley: :confused:

:: snorts beer out nose ::

pool
08-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info Mangetout Sounds like quite the nasty condition indeed. :eek:

An Arky
08-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Good god almighty!

Does that condition preclude growing hair? Because that just ain't something you want hanging out there voluntarily, IMHO.

However, I've noticed some dudes with mighty unfortunate head shapes and scars and stuff that still insist on wearing buzzcuts. Doesn't their barber (or wife or friends or SOMEBODY, fergodssakes) tell them "Hey Bro, I'd let a little hair grow there if I was you..."

Swallowed My Cellphone
08-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Good god almighty!

Does that condition preclude growing hair? Because that just ain't something you want hanging out there voluntarily, IMHO."I dunno, if I was incarcerated, I think I'd want to look like a scary mutant that no one wanted to mess with. And I'd tell people I could kill them with the power of my brain.

An Arky
08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Oh, Duh! :smack:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be the least bit, um, attractive in that situation...

vetbridge
08-22-2007, 09:17 AM
I will never be able to eat a Ruffles brand potato chip without thinking of this thread...

Savannah
08-22-2007, 11:39 PM
I will never be able to eat a Ruffles brand potato chip without thinking of this thread... Now it's my turn to snort.

I have ear-dents from wearing eyeglasses. I keep forgetting to check first thing upon waking to see if they smooth out any overnight. Remind me--tomorrow, about 6:28 a.m.

Hypno-Toad
08-23-2007, 04:01 PM
I did a thread 2 years ago about the glasses gouged into the head thing.

Here it is. (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=304722) Remember, no raising any zombie threads.

vetbridge
08-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I have ear-dents from wearing eyeglasses. I keep forgetting to check first thing upon waking to see if they smooth out any overnight. Remind me--tomorrow, about 6:28 a.m.
So. . . you look vaguely similar to this here fella?

;)

gigi
08-23-2007, 05:55 PM
I've seen ridges like that on an actor somewhere - not a completely obscure one. I want to say Forest Whitaker, but I don't think it's him - someone who looks a bit like him.
The guy who was the principal on Boston Public? ...searches... Chi McBride (http://buddytv.com/articles/the_nine/Images/Chi-McBride-4.jpg)? That's who I thought of.

Mangetout
08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
The guy who was the principal on Boston Public? ...searches... Chi McBride (http://buddytv.com/articles/the_nine/Images/Chi-McBride-4.jpg)? That's who I thought of.
That's the fella. Hey, he even does look a bit like Forest Whitaker, or is it just me?

vetbridge
08-25-2007, 10:06 AM
That's the fella. Hey, he even does look a bit like Forest Whitaker, or is it just me?
Yep, the eyes or something.

Enola Straight
08-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Abdullah the Butcher

http://midsouthwrestling.com/legends_abdullah_butcher185x210.jpg

Best Topics: illegal aliens genesis dirty chicken jokes drinking gallium chicago hippies young and bald what is oconus banished cc motorkote complaints shaw school place united states achievement house key made bounce legs wet willie definition bender define waxing your head benadryl for pain insulate metal door freezing cigarettes scar over tattoo hobo etymology ritz strip club always dehydrated quiet thermostat inhaling argon earthquake tracking ese meaning mechanic check freud scientist kicker holder solo flex wounded up what to do with a dead car methocarbamol over the counter liquid vs paste wax ups package stolen who is responsible me hace falta en ingles harbor freight trailer bearings what does silver scrapes mean ice maker no water line strep throat not going away how to use a honey stick swimming in the middle of the ocean jamie kern weight gain proper order to watch firefly tolnaftate vs miconazole nitrate asbestos floor tile risk why should you cover your license plate orson scott card homecoming throat hurts from singing let s go travel guides does the microwave kill germs how to pass your road test in michigan how much would it cost to build a bowling alley the lolly pop kids what is boar bristle why do ducks quack what is the earliest time fedex delivers car door key pad food grade paraffin wax for sale catholic school girls skirts better than to whom it may concern shyster anti-semitic how long before roundup works houston to austin road trip