PDA

View Full Version : A kid chugged a 4 oz. bottle of Robitussin in front of me last night

Duck Duck Goose
10-21-2007, 01:22 PM
It was Wal-Tussin, actually, Walgreens brand. I'm still fairly freaked out by this. I've had a lot of creepy stuff happen at work, but this takes the cake so far.

So I'm standing there, ringing people up, a fairly normal Saturday night at Walgreens, and this skinny white kid walks in and, talking too fast, wants to know where the Robitussin is. I point him in the right direction, thinking, "Oh, my. Just wait and see if I do not card you, my son." Because in the state of Illinois, you have to be 18 to buy products containing dextromethorphan, and it wouldn't be the first time I've dashed somebody's hopes by demanding his ID to purchase cough syrup.

So he eventually comes back to the register with a 4 oz. bottle of Wal-Tussin, still talking too fast, babbling actually, and he's got some Visine, and then he wants cigarettes, too.

So I say, "May I see a driver's license, please?" and he babbles, "Oh, yeah, it's out in the car", and he starts out the door, and he adds confidently, over his shoulder, "But, you know, I'm 25," and I'm, like, "Well, we'll see about that, won't we?"

And I really didn't think he'd come back, because they usually don't, yanno? When they say, "Oh, yeah, it's out in the car, but I'm 25..."

But he did come back in. So you better believe I checked that puppy thoroughly.

Especially since it was a Missouri DL. Uh huh.

Well, as far as I could tell, it was the real deal. If it was a fake, it was a damn good fake, holograms and all.

And it said he was 25.

So I sold him the Wal-Tussin, and the cigarettes. And I had just handed him his change, and was turning my attention to the next customers in line, when I realized that he was opening something, still standing there just to the side of my checkout counter. People do that sometimes; they stand there and rip it open, whatever it is.

And he said fervently, "I really need this," and I thought, "Wow, I've never heard of anybody really needing Visine before," because of course I assumed that's what he was opening, since he wasn't coughing.

And then I turned my attention back to him--and I realized he was drinking something, head thrown back. And I thought, "Wow, I've never heard of anyone drinking Visine before," and I wondered briefly if he was stupid enough to believe his buddy who told him you could get high on Visine.

And then he handed it to be, along with its packaging, saying, "Here, I'll let you have that," and I realized it was the Wal-Tussin.

I held it, and said blankly, "...did you just drink that? The whole thing!?"

He said, with a smile, fervently, "I really needed that."

Our eyes locked.
I said to him, firmly, "I am your mother. And I disapprove."
He said lightly, "Well, I guess I'll stop doing it, then." And he left.

Blew me away.
Blew away the next customers in line, too. Three bling-encrusted, gold-chain-wearing inner city youths, buying snacks. They too watched, slack-jawed with amazement.

First guy said to me, "What he just drink?"

I showed them the empty Wal-Tussin. "He chugged that, just now."
They were impressed. "Day-um..."

Not that the dude had ingested DMX, but that he hadn't waited until he got, like, out in the car or somethin, I mean, day-um...

I remarked, to nobody in particular, "That was four ounces; I dunno what the normal adult dose is..."
One of them immediately said, "Two teaspoons."

So I came home and thanked both my children for not being idiotic druggies getting high on cough syrup.

And I looked up a bunch of stuff on Erowid, and I was relieved to see that it probably wasn't a lethal dose.

But...day-um.

pool
10-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I admit I tried Robo a couple of times right after I graduated high school. I used to chug two whole bottles of the stuff. Good lord I don't know what the hell I was thinking back then. Its like someone gave my brain a battery acid enema. I learned my lesson though and I will NEVER do that stuff again. Not even if I have a cold.

Boozahol Squid, P.I.
10-21-2007, 01:40 PM
A friend of mine way back in high school was all about Robotripping. (the slang for robotussin abuse). I remember him saying that he had to do something to the stuff in order to be able to drink it, as the makers added some sort of vomit-inducing ingredient in order to prevent people from drinking the quantities to get high. A quick google search says they've now taken it out, after the ingredient was banned by the FDA.

Glad the government is keeping the kids safe.

Mindfield
10-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Wait, Dextromethorphan gets you high? I always thought bums and winos chugged cough syrup because of its alcohol content. (Assuming they still use alcohol in modern formulations) Man, you gotta be desperate to chug cough syrup for a buzz. I can't name a single (adult formula) brand that tastes good enough not to make me wince just taking the recommended dosage. Never mind additives, I'd vomit just from the taste alone if I tried chugging it.

I hope ODing on the stuff makes you sterile, 'cos that kid can't be allowed to breed.

Liberal
10-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Glad the government is keeping the kids safe.Yeah. Government is doing its usual great job. "A study in May [2006] by the Partnership for a Drug-Free America estimated that 2.4 million teens — about 1 in 10 — got high on cough medicines in 2005. That puts it on a par with cocaine and slightly above methamphetamine." — http://biopsychiatry.com/misc/robitussin.html

Randy Seltzer
10-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah. Government is doing its usual great job.I am very surprised to read this coming from you, Lib. I hope I am being wooshed.

It's not the government's job to protect us from our own fully-informed decisions. If someone wants to ruin his life, it's not the government's place to stop him. Of course, if his decision is going to harm someone else, the gov't has every right to step in there. But that isn't evident in 'robotripping'.

Freudian Slit
10-21-2007, 02:10 PM
I once took slightly more than the recommended dosage when I was in college. I felt kind of spacey. Sort of in the good way. I'd never chug an entire bottle, though. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Wow. Freaky, DDG!

Liberal
10-21-2007, 02:13 PM
I am very surprised to read this coming from you, Lib. I hope I am being wooshed.The sarcasm should have been blatantly obvious, especially given the statistic that followed the remark. :)

Vinyl Turnip
10-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Glad the government is keeping the kids safe.

There are those among us (few though we may be) who feel it isn't really the role of government to come up with contigency plans for every dumb thing some idiot kid (or adult) might decide to do to himself. (Or to paraphrase something I think Bill Maher said once—why are laws always planned around what the dumbest person might do?) I'm already mildly annoyed by having to show ID to a pharmacist in order to buy Sudafed, courtesy of my state's growing underclass of rotten-toothed redneck tweakers.

I do find it somewhat bemusing that the government permits the unregulated OTC sale of dextromethorphan—a powerful, widely-abused hallucinogen that (at least in my experience) is completely useless at preventing coughs—while restricting the sale of cough suppresants that actually do work because they contain minimal amounts of codeine.

lisacurl
10-21-2007, 02:23 PM
I hope he got the Wal-Tussin DM, because usually the generic "Tussin" is plain guaifenesin syrup with no dextromethorphan. (Can you tell I'm starting my autumn cold?) Even plain Robitussin is just guaifenesin. You need to get Robitussin DM if you want to trip.

Randy Seltzer
10-21-2007, 02:24 PM
The sarcasm should have been blatantly obvious, especially given the statistic that followed the remark. :)No-I got the sarcasm. But decoding the sarcasm, I read it as saying "The government is doing poorly at a job it should be doing well." Which is to say the government should be doing a good job of protecting us from ourselves. Is there another layer of sarcasm I'm not getting?

Freudian Slit
10-21-2007, 02:31 PM
No-I got the sarcasm. But decoding the sarcasm, I read it as saying "The government is doing poorly at a job it should be doing well." Which is to say the government should be doing a good job of protecting us from ourselves. Is there another layer of sarcasm I'm not getting?
I read it the same way that you did.

Dude. Meta irony! :eek:

danceswithcats
10-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Darned kids. When I was young, we'd walk 12 miles uphill, in snow up to our knees, to the pharmacy for Phenergan C, and we liked it! ;)

asterion
10-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I once took slightly more than the recommended dosage when I was in college. I felt kind of spacey. Sort of in the good way. I'd never chug an entire bottle, though. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Wow. Freaky, DDG!
Similar here too. I simply had to work and study for finals and I had either a really bad cold or a low-grade fever (don't remember which at this point.) But it was one of those times where I wasn't sleeping well, thinking well, and so on. So I get up in the morning, take three pseudoephedrine tablets and three ibuprofen (big guy so I take slightly higher doses to help compensate for body weight), shower, and then, having forgotten that I already had taken some pills, took another three of each. And that wound up being way too much. It didn't kick in right away but when I got up from the desk after trying to study for an hour or so to take a break I almost fell over I was so lightheaded but didn't feel it when sitting and concentrating.

I can't imagine trying to drink that much stuff. But hey, I'm not about to stop someone from hurting themselves as long as they don't put others in danger after doing so. So that's probably my biggest problem with what the guy did.

Liberal
10-21-2007, 03:03 PM
No-I got the sarcasm. But decoding the sarcasm, I read it as saying "The government is doing poorly at a job it should be doing well." Which is to say the government should be doing a good job of protecting us from ourselves. Is there another layer of sarcasm I'm not getting?Hmm... Tell ya what. Let me state my position plainly. No sarcasm. No ambiguity. What government should do is protect the rights and property of its citizens. With respect to the market, it should suppress deception and coercion. Nothing more. Whenever it attempts to interfere in the lives of peaceful honest people, it always results in unintended and unpredictable consequences. Every central plan is doomed to be a failure and to suit no one but the planners.

How's that? :)

Qadgop the Mercotan
10-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Dextromethorphan is a many-faceted drug. In low doses, it causes what some refer to as euphoria, but personally (based on my own experiences) I'd label it dysphoric. (For when you just want to feel different! :rolleyes: )

In higher doses, it can engender hallucinations, and in even higher doses can cause "out of body" experiences and psychosis. It's commonly referred to as a dissociative drug, & is active at the same receptors that PCP activates in the brain. It can also muck with the cerebellar functions, and can cause seizures.

It is marketed as a cough suppressant, but its ability to actually suppress a cough is rather suspect. It was brought onto the market in the hopes of cutting back on codeine cough syrup abuse. It was quickly abused instead.

Randy Seltzer
10-21-2007, 03:15 PM
How's that? :)There's the Lib we know and love.

Moirai
10-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm already mildly annoyed by having to show ID to a pharmacist in order to buy Sudafed, courtesy of my state's growing underclass of rotten-toothed redneck tweakers.

Preach it. I can also only buy a 10 day supply every 30 days... :rolleyes: People with chronic allergies are cursing the stupid tweakers who wrecked it for us.

And don't tell me to just "try something else." Believe me, we have tried every fucking thing out there. Sudafed works.

Joey P
10-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Preach it. I can also only buy a 10 day supply every 30 days... :rolleyes: People with chronic allergies are cursing the stupid tweakers who wrecked it for us.

And don't tell me to just "try something else." Believe me, we have tried every fucking thing out there. Sudafed works.
Talk to your doctor, I would guess you could get a prescription version of Sudafed.

WhyNot
10-21-2007, 05:04 PM

Can't you just order it off drugstore.com or something? Or will that get you on The List somewhere in the DEA offices?

Ferret Herder
10-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Wait, Dextromethorphan gets you high? I always thought bums and winos chugged cough syrup because of its alcohol content. (Assuming they still use alcohol in modern formulations)
The Robitussin/WalTussin stuff doesn't have alcohol in it, but NyQuil does along with the dextromethorphan. Worse yet, it also contains acetaminophen so if you abuse that, you're packing in the liver damage as an extra added "bonus."

Little Nemo
10-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Not that the dude had ingested DMX, but that he hadn't waited until he got, like, out in the car or somethin, I mean, day-um...He probably did it in front of you intentionally. Because you were questioning his maturity. He was showing you how grown up he was.

Mindfield
10-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Dextromethorphan is a many-faceted drug. In low doses, it causes what some refer to as euphoria, but personally (based on my own experiences) I'd label it dysphoric. (For when you just want to feel different! :rolleyes: )

In higher doses, it can engender hallucinations, and in even higher doses can cause "out of body" experiences and psychosis. It's commonly referred to as a dissociative drug, & is active at the same receptors that PCP activates in the brain. It can also muck with the cerebellar functions, and can cause seizures.
:eek: Lordy. I didn't know that stuff had such properties. What would "higher doses" mean, exactly? Would the manchild in the OP have been doing loop-de-loops in the astral plane on a bottle of Robitussen, or just freaking out every time the street lights changed and tried to attack him?

The Robitussin/WalTussin stuff doesn't have alcohol in it, but NyQuil does along with the dextromethorphan. Worse yet, it also contains acetaminophen so if you abuse that, you're packing in the liver damage as an extra added "bonus."
Having once come pretty close to ODing on acetaminophen (toothache, popping 500mg tylenols and 222s (a behind-the-counter 325mg acetaminophen+8mg codeine preparation) like crazy) I know what having a lot of just that stuff in your system is like. Couple that with all the DM and alcohol, chugging that stuff would get you on the express line to the grave.

Boozahol Squid, P.I.
10-21-2007, 08:14 PM
There are those among us (few though we may be) who feel it isn't really the role of government to come up with contigency plans for every dumb thing some idiot kid (or adult) might decide to do to himself. (Or to paraphrase something I think Bill Maher said once—why are laws always planned around what the dumbest person might do?) I'm already mildly annoyed by having to show ID to a pharmacist in order to buy Sudafed, courtesy of my state's growing underclass of rotten-toothed redneck tweakers.

I do find it somewhat bemusing that the government permits the unregulated OTC sale of dextromethorphan—a powerful, widely-abused hallucinogen that (at least in my experience) is completely useless at preventing coughs—while restricting the sale of cough suppresants that actually do work because they contain minimal amounts of codeine.

I'm one of those who feels that it's not the government's role to protect us from our own stupidity. However, the government wasn't mandating the additive of the pukafying ingredient. What the government did was put in a law to protect high-seekers from doing more damage to themselves if they semi-outwitted a safety mechanism that was, for all I've heard, put in by the industry itself. Big difference, there.

Joey P
10-21-2007, 10:06 PM
:eek: Lordy. I didn't know that stuff had such properties. What would "higher doses" mean, exactly? Would the manchild in the OP have been doing loop-de-loops in the astral plane on a bottle of Robitussen, or just freaking out every time the street lights changed and tried to attack him?
It's very similar to ketamine. Kinda like acid or mushrooms, but different.

chaoticbear
10-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I work at the Wal-Mart pharmacy here in town, and our problems with kids and DXM have gotten so bad that we now keep the following items behind the counter:

Coricidin HBP Cough/Cold
Robitussin Cough Gels
Zicam Cough Max (lozenges and pills)
Delsym (all 5 UPC versions). This one was the most recent, but after we found 6 empty boxes back in the toy department, we pulled it into the back also.

Keep in mind that we also have heavy theft problems with Prilosec OTC and Zantac (both behind the counter), and we have to keep Sudafed back there, so we have a whole bunch of room devoted to OTC products. I just can't wait until we start putting condoms and pregnancy tests back there... More of those are stolen than there are people in my city, I think sometimes.

eleanorigby
10-21-2007, 10:49 PM
It was brought onto the market in the hopes of cutting back on codeine cough syrup abuse. It was quickly abused instead.

Kind of like all those methadone addicts (I used to see a few of them when I worked step down). I wonder if someday our treatment of drugs in this country will become an odd footnote in the history of the world...

LurkMeister
10-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I never understood why one time when I tried to buy Lactaid at Walgreens I had to get one of the clerks to get it out of a locked cabinet. Is lactose intolerance so prevalent that people are stealing Lactaid to support their dairy habit?

wolfman
10-22-2007, 12:03 AM
It was brought onto the market in the hopes of cutting back on codeine cough syrup abuse. It was quickly abused instead.

Ah thanks for reminding me it's time for my annual bitch about on Terpin hydrate being removed. :mad:

Cat Fight
10-22-2007, 12:19 AM
And he said fervently, "I really need this," and I thought, "Wow, I've never heard of anybody really needing Visine before," because of course I assumed that's what he was opening, since he wasn't coughing.

Just as a general FYI, you do not want to drink this stuff. I am not speaking from experience, but Amy Sedaris heard that it was a laxative so she tried it out. She heard right.

Duck Duck Goose
10-22-2007, 12:50 AM
I hope he got the Wal-Tussin DM, because usually the generic "Tussin" is plain guaifenesin syrup with no dextromethorphan. (Can you tell I'm starting my autumn cold?) Even plain Robitussin is just guaifenesin. You need to get Robitussin DM if you want to trip.

Ho-ly CRAP!!

I was so freaked by somebody robotripping at the checkout at Walgreens, I dint even think. He DID just get plain ol' Wal-Tussin, not the DM.

Bwahahahaha! ROFLMAO!!

Hope he enjoyed his trip [snerk]. :D :D :D

I feel much better now. Thank you.

Rhubarb
10-22-2007, 01:00 AM
Ho-ly CRAP!!

I was so freaked by somebody robotripping at the checkout at Walgreens, I dint even think. He DID just get plain ol' Wal-Tussin, not the DM.

Bwahahahaha! ROFLMAO!!

Hope he enjoyed his trip [snerk]. :D :D :D

I feel much better now. Thank you.
He's expectorating like a mofo. :p

Hostile Dialect
10-22-2007, 02:27 AM

Did you really say that? Really?

Speaking as someone who's done a fair bit of DXM in my day (though I almost never chugged syrup--yecch!), that's probably the most absurd thing you could've done in that situation. I mean, really. The stuff doesn't kick in for at least 30 minutes. And, what, you were going to stop this "kid"--who is, as far as the law is concerned, 25--from ever chugging cough syrup again? He did it right in front of you to shock people and get a rise out of you, and it worked.

I mean, really. (a) It's not your problem--either the "kid" will fuck up his life or he won't, and by the nature of your relationship to him, you won't be more than a blip on his radar screen. (b) What, exactly, did you think you were going to accomplish?

I'm not trying to Pit you here. I'm really not. I'm just saying, what is all that really going to do other than to give him the attention he craves, reinforce his behavior, and make you look kind of silly in the process?

ETA: Sounds like he didn't get the real stuff, but my point still stands. And I'm not sure what to make of the fact that in the OP you were trying to save his life or some such other noble bullshit, but when you found out he didn't get the "good stuff" you experienced schadenfreude at the fact that he wasn't tripping. Which is it?

And I looked up a bunch of stuff on Erowid, and I was relieved to see that it probably wasn't a lethal dose.

Not even close. It's a nice trippy dose; the worst that'll happen is he'll throw up from all the nasty, sticky, over-sweet syrup in his stomach. (One of many, many reasons not to use the syrup.)

Man, you gotta be desperate to chug cough syrup for a buzz.

Not really. It's a psychedelic in its own right, and a much different ballgame than any other drug. If anything, it's like a combination of strong alcohol and weak LSD, but dissociative rather than merely hallucinogenic. And that dose is not an "OD". Not even close. Like I said, it's stupid to drink that much syrup at once for a number of reasons, but long-term damage to physical or mental health is not one of them.

FTR, it was Thomas Jefferson who said that "the freedom and happiness of man [are] the sole objects of all legitimate government", and that he "would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it".

People with chronic allergies are cursing the stupid tweakers who wrecked it for us.

The tweakers? It's your governments that have let you down (mine too, actually). There's a list out there somewhere of the 28 (26?) ingredients you need to cook up meth at home. Sudafed is one of them, and all of the other ones can be procured legally and without any hassle whatsoever. All the regulations on pseudoephedrine now cannot be rationally intended to do anything about the problem--I mean, come on. It's all just a way for politicians to make it look like they're doing something, so they can then brag about being "tough on drugs". Smoke, meet mirror.

Would the manchild in the OP have been doing loop-de-loops in the astral plane on a bottle of Robitussen, or just freaking out every time the street lights changed and tried to attack him?

Street lights don't change and try to attack you on DXM. It's a dissociative, which means that your hallucinations are from out-of-body, and don't have that much effect on the real life stuff in front of you.

Tibidabo
10-22-2007, 06:00 AM
thank you Fetus, you saved me the bother

chowder
10-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Darned kids. When I was young, we'd walk 12 miles uphill, in snow up to our knees, to the pharmacy for Phenergan C, and we liked it! ;)
Meh, that's nothing.

When I was a kid I'd crawl 15 miles uphill over broken glass to the chemist just to get an aspirin.

I just loved it

Malacandra
10-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Just as a general FYI, you do not want to drink this stuff. I am not speaking from experience, but Amy Sedaris heard that it was a laxative so she tried it out. She heard right.

Ah. Let me guess - we're not talking "laxative" as in "pleasant relief from an uncomfortably prolonged episode of constipation" here, are we?

Oopsie.

Wee Bairn
10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I tired it once just for shits and giggles, and couldn't get passed a sip or two due to the ungoldy taste. Surely they could put something in it to make it taste even worse, like castor oil, to keep at least some kiddies from drinking it?

miss elizabeth
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Yes, thanks fetus. I've gotten high on DXM lots of times; it's fun and cheap. And this "kid" is 25, so it's no one's business if he wants to get off. Sounds like he drank the wrong stuff, which makes him a bit of a dumbass, but regardless, you're aren't his mom Duck Duck Goose, no matter what idiotic thing you say (which by the way, that really was a weird thing to say, I'm sure he laughed about it with his friends). Just ring him up, and MYOB.

fessie
10-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Thats the same pseudoephedrine that's in my Claritin-D, isn't it? I accidentally took 2 of those (24-hr variety) one Friday night last summer. They've got 120 mg of pseudoephedrine each.

Whoa doggies, that was a trip.

Annie-Xmas
10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Meh, that's nothing.

When I was a kid I'd crawl 15 miles uphill over broken glass to the chemist just to get an aspirin.

I just loved it

You young'uns. In my day we crawled over 20 miles of hot moten lava for some willow bark to chew.

neutron star
10-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I tired it once just for shits and giggles, and couldn't get passed a sip or two due to the ungoldy taste. Surely they could put something in it to make it taste even worse, like castor oil, to keep at least some kiddies from drinking it?

Actually, I think it's the opposite; they're doing the best they can to mask the horrible DXM taste with something that's even stronger, but not quite as nasty.

One time during my teens, I cut open a Vick's Cough Cap to see what the liquid inside tasted like. A single drop on my tongue made me puke all over myself. It was absolutely the most vile thing I've ever tasted.

And I'll echo what fetus said about 4 ounces not being a terribly large dose. I used to swig the 8 ounce bottles. I found that I threw up about an hour after ingestion whether I drank the liquid or took caps, so I'd just buy whatever was cheaper. My method for getting the syrup down was to hold my nose while I drank it to dull the taste and to always do the whole thing in one go. I found that once I'd already drank some that there was no way in hell I was going back for a second sip after I already had that taste in my mouth.

Kuboydal
10-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I used to work for a fella who was in the Navy in th eseventies. He said chugging Navy cough syrup in one of those radar trucks, looking at all the blinking lights, and listening to Frampton Comes Alive was a cosmic experience.

Kinda made me jealous, actually.

Drain Bead
10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
When I was in college, I had a horrid cough, to the point where it was interrupting classes. One night I had to go to a poetry reading and I could not keep my cough under control. I ended up taking about half a bottle of Robitussin.

All I can remember is the feeling like my head was a million miles higher than my legs. I could not feel the pavement under my feet as I walked. It was incredibly strange but yet somewhat enjoyable. And I must say, I did not interrupt the reading with my coughing. I was higher than a kite, but I did not cough a bit.

chaoticbear
10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Man, why all the hating about the flavor of Robitussin? I love it. Maybe I should go try robotripping just to get some delicious Robitussin. (For the record, I also like the cherry Eclipse gum, which tastes almost just like it.)

Joey P
10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Actually, I think it's the opposite; they're doing the best they can to mask the horrible DXM taste with something that's even stronger, but not quite as nasty.

In college a friend of mine and I extracted the DXM out of Robotussin. That stuff is just god awful. In order to get it down, first you drank a glass of very very very dark think chocolate milk, then you take the shot of DXM and the quickly put a big spoonful of toothpaste in your mouth. Even with all that, it was still pretty bad. The whole thing was probably as bad as drinking the bottle, but this way it was over in a matter of seconds instead of working on the bottle for a few minutes.

Duck Duck Goose
10-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Yanno, if some of you wanna Pit me for caring about the young men (and women) I see fucking up their lives every day, as they go past my checkout with their various addictions (tobacco, meth, crack, Robitussin, alcohol), you go right ahead.

He looked like a nice young man. I have a son his age. I have two daughters who are also "young adults". Every time I card someone for Robitussin who turns out to be my kids' age, I I feel bad for the kid across the counter from me who is wasting his life. Somewhere he has parents who, when he was five, didn't expect him to grow up to be abusing drugs.

burundi
10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose
You're nicer than I am. I would have been more tempted to say something like, "Don't get high in my store, you scummy lowlife."

(Honestly, I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, but chugging the stuff in public? That's just nasty.)

OneCentStamp
10-22-2007, 02:50 PM
25, huh? Was his name McLovin? :cool:

Freudian Slit
10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
He looked like a nice young man. I have a son his age. I have two daughters who are also "young adults". Every time I card someone for Robitussin who turns out to be my kids' age, I I feel bad for the kid across the counter from me who is wasting his life. Somewhere he has parents who, when he was five, didn't expect him to grow up to be abusing drugs.
But come on, not everyone who buys Robitusissin is a drug abuser. Some people genuinely do have coughs.

Qadgop the Mercotan
10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Some people genuinely do have coughs.
Not the ones who chug a whole bottle in public. That's a person looking for a serious robo-blasting. And someone who is most likely headed for a diagnosis of chemical dependency. Social users of OTC cough syrup don't generally chug it in public.

Shi**y drug, shi**y high. IMHO. But I've done a lot of personal comparison research. (None since 1990, thankfully.)

Freudian Slit
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Not the ones who chug a whole bottle in public. That's a person looking for a serious robo-blasting. And someone who is most likely headed for a diagnosis of chemical dependency. Social users of OTC cough syrup don't generally chug it in public.
Yeah, but Duck Duck said she felt bad whenever she carded someone who turned out to be her kid's age because she didn't like the idea of her child being a drug user. The guy who was chugging the bottle in the OP was, but not every person her child's age buying cough medicine is a drug addict.

Hostile Dialect
10-22-2007, 04:02 PM

That's actually the whole reason cough syrup exists. The original cough medicine was OTC heroin (cocaine for those nasty colds), which worked. Then people realized that customers were getting high on it, so that was replaced by OTC codeine pills, which also worked. People realized that customers were getting high on that too, so they replaced that with an OTC codeine syrup that was specifically created to be as unpleasant as possible, so that nobody would take enough to get high. Surprise! People still did it. Next came dextromethorphan syrup (much of which now contains guiafenasin or other things that are not so fun at the whole-bottle level), the wonder "non-narcotic" cough syrup. Technically it wasn't a narcotic (narcotic = opiates, in the only meaningful definition of the word, which has since been generalized by police departments everywhere to mean illegal drugs in general). But it still got people high, and it didn't particularly work all that well in its intended function. Presumably, the manufacturers, the government, etc. threw up their hands and said "We give up. They're going to get high. Let's just try to make it a little more difficult."

Why go to all the bother to stop someone from enjoying themselves for a nice afternoon? The original reasons have probably been forgotten, replaced as they were by absurd platitudes about saving the children's innocence and whatnot. As it stands, though, DXM is a perfectly legitimate psychedelic trip for a cheap (or poor) adult, and if it were my son I'd rather he do that than wander into the black market of completely-illegal drugs. YMMV.

Thats the same pseudoephedrine that's in my Claritin-D, isn't it? I accidentally took 2 of those (24-hr variety) one Friday night last summer. They've got 120 mg of pseudoephedrine each.

Whoa doggies, that was a trip.

Heh. Are you sure it was a trip?

I found that I threw up about an hour after ingestion whether I drank the liquid or took caps

FTR, I almost always took caps, and I never threw up. But then, I spaced the ingestion of the caps out so that it took 30 minutes to an hour to get all of them down, on top of some food (nothing too greasy). I did the syrup a handful of times because it was cheaper, but I found that was a mistake. Tasted awful, and even though I never puked on that either, I certainly felt like I would a few times. Though as others have noted, there isn't an additive that makes you puke, anymore; you're just fairly likely to toss because of all that nasty syrup floating around in your gut.

All I can remember is the feeling like my head was a million miles higher than my legs. I could not feel the pavement under my feet as I walked. It was incredibly strange but yet somewhat enjoyable.

This is called the "robowalk" in DXM parlance. It was one of my favorite things about it.

Yanno, if some of you wanna Pit me for caring about the young men (and women) I see fucking up their lives every day, as they go past my checkout with their various addictions (tobacco, meth, crack, Robitussin, alcohol), you go right ahead.

If you "cared" about him so much, why were you so overjoyed that he took a big dose of guiafenasin, which is certainly less pleasant (if not worse for you in the short term) than the stuff he "wanted" at that level?

He looked like a nice young man.

Really? That's not the impression I got from the OP:

this skinny white kid walks in and, talking too fast, wants to know where the Robitussin is. I point him in the right direction, thinking, "Oh, my. Just wait and see if I do not card you, my son." ...

So he eventually comes back to the register with a 4 oz. bottle of Wal-Tussin, still talking too fast, babbling actually, and he's got some Visine, and then he wants cigarettes, too.

So I say, "May I see a driver's license, please?" and he babbles, "Oh, yeah, it's out in the car", and he starts out the door, and he adds confidently, over his shoulder, "But, you know, I'm 25," and I'm, like, "Well, we'll see about that, won't we?" ...

And I really didn't think he'd come back, because they usually don't, yanno? ...

But he did come back in. So you better believe I checked that puppy thoroughly.

Especially since it was a Missouri DL. Uh huh.

Well, as far as I could tell, it was the real deal. If it was a fake, it was a damn good fake...

and I wondered briefly if he was stupid enough to believe his buddy who told him you could get high on Visine. ...

So I came home and thanked both my children for not being idiotic druggies

I'm so glad that Super Wal-Mart Cashier Mom is out there spreading joy and niceness to the nice young men of Decatur!

Yeah, whatever.

Joey P
10-22-2007, 04:22 PM
As it stands, though, DXM is a perfectly legitimate psychedelic trip for a cheap (or poor) adult, and if it were my son I'd rather he do that than wander into the black market of completely-illegal drugs. YMMV.
I don't think price has that much to do with it. Last time I took acid, it was $5.00 for a hit. Wal/robotussin is about that. I think it has more to do with how easy it is to get, and well, it's different then acid.

Kuboydal
10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I knew a fella in town a few years ago who got most of his exercise walking to different drug stores. He could only get so much robo from one store during X amount of time so he would need to go to a different store later in the week. As he was guzzling some and telling me about it I adopted a condescending attitude that rapidly dissipated as I looked down and realized I was guzzling PBR's while talking to him. To each their own..

Freudian Slit
10-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I knew a fella in town a few years ago who got most of his exercise walking to different drug stores. He could only get so much robo from one store during X amount of time so he would need to go to a different store later in the week. As he was guzzling some and telling me about it I adopted a condescending attitude that rapidly dissipated as I looked down and realized I was guzzling PBR's while talking to him. To each their own..
I can't believe anyone would do that.

PBR?!

Heh. :) PBR is at least cheaper than cough syrup.

Moirai
10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Okay, so maybe it isn't just the tweakers who fucked up buying Sudafed for the rest of us, but they sure as hell helped. My husband used to be a prosecutor in San Bernardino County, CA, and they were busting an average of one huge-scale meth lab per day in the county (1998-1999). One house they saw was two feet deep in empty Sudafed blister-packs.

All of the ingredients are pretty easy to get, if you know the wrong people.

But yeah, I think my government is up it's own butt on this (and many other) issues.

Robo-tripping? Gah. Get some really fucking drugs, kids. They are cheap and plentiful. I would be too embarrassed to drink that shite to get high, and I'm an alcoholic & an addict! :rolleyes:

Kuboydal
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I wonder how long it wil be until the genus Ephedra is outlawed. Think ofwhat a great nation of gardeners we would become if the plants that most drugs are based on were not also outlawed.

Wile E
10-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Street lights don't change and try to attack you on DXM. It's a dissociative, which means that your hallucinations are from out-of-body, and don't have that much effect on the real life stuff in front of you.

So you can effectively drive a car without risking grievous bodily harm to yourself and other people on the road? Then why do they put those warnings on cold medicines about not operating heavy machinery?

Can you be charged with DUI for driving while on high on legal OTC drugs?

Hostile Dialect
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
I think it has more to do with how easy it is to get, and well, it's different then acid.

True and true. In my prime experimentation days, acid simply was not available in Southern California, period. Trust me, I looked.

Okay, so maybe it isn't just the tweakers who fucked up buying Sudafed for the rest of us, but they sure as hell helped.

Sudafed is not the problem. You and I both know that.

All of the ingredients are pretty easy to get, if you know the wrong people.

You don't have to know any of the wrong people to get the other ingredients. They can all be procured with trips to a maximum of two or three different stores, with no hassle whatsoever.

Robo-tripping? Gah. Get some really fucking drugs, kids. They are cheap and plentiful. I would be too embarrassed to drink that shite to get high, and I'm an alcoholic & an addict!

DXM is a perfectly legitimate psychedelic. Keep in mind that it was synthesized specifically to mimic opiates, and turned out to be pretty much a psychedelic opiate, with the dissociative effects of the stronger opiates without some of the more characteristic effects associated with them. No "heroin itch", for example, and none of that feeling of utter escape from the world's problems that you get on heroin. It's euphoric, but in a different way. While the opiate euphoria is like a relief, the DXM euphoria is more amphetamine-like or MDMA-like; more of a feeling of contented connectedness to the world around you. (And an assload of empathy toward animals. I normally try to avoid dogs, but the first time I tripped on DXM I fawned over my friend's dog, showering her with attention and hugs. I'm sure I looked like an idiot, but hell, I loved that dog right then.)

stanger
10-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Keep in mind that we also have heavy theft problems with Prilosec OTC and Zantac

Why is there a theft problem with these drugs? Is it the expense or is there something else to it?

Hostile Dialect
10-22-2007, 05:33 PM
So you can effectively drive a car without risking grievous bodily harm to yourself and other people on the road?

That question has nothing in common with:

Would the manchild in the OP have been doing loop-de-loops in the astral plane on a bottle of Robitussen, or just freaking out every time the street lights changed and tried to attack him?

except for the cough syrup.

And the answer to your question is "it depends, but it's generally not a good idea". Time to fight some ignorance, I guess. Mods, I hope I don't cross a line here. Apologies in advance if I do. Alright then, DXM works thusly: (I'll use the dosage levels for when I did it; I weighed 175 at the time)

There are four (ETA: numbered/vaguely sane) dosage levels, called "plateaus" in the tripper parlance, which are mostly quite different experiences. A trip lasts 6-8 hours, with the "peak" occurring somewhere between smack-in-the-middle and maybe 2/3 of the way through the duration. In each plateau, you can feel the "peak" effects of each plateau before it, in turn, before you finally reach the peak of the plateau you dosed on. After that, the effect gradually fades, getting less and less intense until you don't feel it at all. Withdrawal is pretty unlikely except in the saddest cases of addiction; when you come down, you tend to feel like you've completed a journey and it's time to kick back and relax. (You might have been physically relaxed during the trip, but mentally, 'loop-de-loops in the astral plane' describes it fairly well.)

Each plateau is triggered by a range of doses that depends on your weight. As I said above, I'll list the doses I took, and I weighed 175 lbs then. And I'm only listing the specific doses I found worked well for me, not the dosage range, which can be more fluid.

First Plateau (150 mg)

Come-up: Slightly buzzed, somewhat like being drunk and wired on a low dose of speed at the same time. Music is an incredible experience; not so much trippy as much as it is just better. It's like the difference between listening to a CD and going to Copley Symphony Hall. Robo-walking, as described by Drain Bead. Driving is generally fine, though it's not wise to overdo it. This is the "party dose", if there is such a thing for DXM. (I found it was best enjoyed with one close friend, or by oneself; never would have dreamed of taking it at a party at all. It's just not a social drug.)

Peak: Basically a more intense version of the come-up. Typically you'll have some mildly psychedelic closed-eye visuals (CEV); that is, if you turn on some music, lay down and close your eyes you'll see some trippy patterns that generally don't amount to much of anything. No open-eye visuals (OEV), although when your eyes are open there is a sense that the world is a little shakier; reading at a distance may be imprecise, which is why it's not a particularly good idea to drive. If you have to drive, though, it's generally not as bad as driving drunk, but some first-plateau peaks are strong enough to make it a pretty bad idea.

Second Plateau (300 mg)

Come-up: First the slight buzz of the First Plateau; then, the musical effects and the robo-walking; then, an experience roughly equivalent to the First Plateau peak. CEVs gradually get more and more intense as you lead up to the peak. If you must drive, it's not a huge huge deal early in the Second Plateau trip, but the less (and the earlier) the better. Music then turns from "awesome" to "awesome and trippy"--I loved to turn on the radio and just zone out, lying down with my eyes closed; at this point you can see more well-defined things. For example, a close friend and I both saw a "Pink Man" on most of our Second Plateau trips; just an image of a man in silhouette who was everything it ever meant to be pink. Just the complete essence and archetype of that color. Against a pinkish red background, of course. He swayed swiftly to the music, and he never talked but he was a fascinating study. MMV. I also saw some more serious visions, like one time when it suddenly occurred to me that so much of the things our society is built on are a coordinated facade. It was much more detailed than that, and involved flying through a fake city and staring at the storefronts for a while, with a bunch of other visual cues; the "truth" I found was more of an emotional resonance than a string of words.

Peak: This is where the "dissociative" part comes in. CEVs often become so intense that the tripper leaves his/her own body and may become completely separated from the outside world--not dangerous in and of itself, but it makes it a really bad idea to drive once you're more than two or three hours into the trip, until you come back down. OEVs are prevalent too; but rather than "modifying" the things you really see to make them more trippy, OEVs at this point tend to take you away from the real world entirely, like CEVs. Again, not dangerous in and of itself, as long as the tripper is somewhere safe at this point where s/he won't be unduly bothered by other people or threatened by animals (hence why DXM is generally not a camping drug, IMO). Generally CEVs/OEVs at this point have crossed the line from "visuals" into "complete psychedelic experience"; a truth about the tripper is usually revealed and analyzed within his/her mind's eye.

Personally, I used to take a second plateau dose every week or two, for maybe six months or so, give or take a few. Almost every single time, at the peak I would see an "action replay" of something I had done or said that week, and then in splitscreen, I would see a "dramatization" of how I could have done/said it better. Fairly powerful stuff, but not earth-shattering like the realizations that other psychedelics can lay upon you. Some people report that second plateau trips helped them kick bad habits; that was certainly my experience, and I like to think I came out a better person. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if the second plateau were the most addictive. I'm not really an addictive personality, though, and the science is unfortunately lacking on that level of detail, so I wouldn't know.

Third Plateau (600 mg)

This is the furthest up I ever went. I did it once. It was mind-blowing, and I felt like I got all I could have gotten out of the Third Plateau and, for the most part, out of DXM in general. I had a few Second Plateau trips after that, and a handful of First Plateau trips as well, but for the most part my third pleateau trip ended DXM for me.

Come-up: A little robowalking, a little of that Copley Hall stuff, then almost straight into the trippy stuff. There is no reason to drive on this dosage, period. It's just a bad idea. One or two Second-Plateau-peak type psychedelic revelations may occur, and OEVs and CEVs are strong.

Peak: Simply one of the most mind-blowing things I have ever experienced. It just cannot be described. It's like visiting an alien planet. Your entire frame of reference for everything is shaken up, put down briefly, then picked back up and thrown across the room. You may see incredibly moving images, including "mind pictures" from your childhood. It's emotionally and psychologically taxing--this peak is a lot of work. But you come out of it with a completely new understanding of life in general. And, oh yeah, palpable dehydration. It's a really good idea to drink a lot--a lot--of water throughout. And it's a bad idea to be anywhere where well-meaning friends/family/roommates/general public will see you, because you'll look like you're completely gone from this world. And really, for an hour or two, you will be. I never felt the need to revisit that, personally. I doubt that I ever will either.

The Fourth Plateau is even more earth-shattering at its peak, as you might imagine. I won't cover it in any detail, really, since I don't have any personal experience, but here (http://third-plateau.org/faq/dxm_experience.shtml#toc.5.8) is some experiential info.

Plateau Sigma (http://third-plateau.org/faq/dxm_experience.shtml#toc.5.9) is a strange beast; it involves keeping the dosage level in your body constant for a while, and, again, reportedly takes you to a whole 'nother level. Which most people find frightening and incredibly unpleasant.

The page I linked to has more information about the other plateaus, and a bevy of other DXM information in there too, for the bored and curious.

This is not intended as an endorsement of the drug.

Can you be charged with DUI for driving while on high on legal OTC drugs?

Generally yes IIUC, but it probably varies by state.

Mike Fun
10-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Fetus, you know your DXM. You are quoting from William White's DXM FAQ, yes? That's been around in several forms for quite a long time. He's dead on about the plateaus, etc., and his cautions about using this substance (although added years after the original FAQ) couldn't be more accurate. His scientific and responsible approach to the subject probably laid the groundwork for Erowid and the Lycaeum.

I've also done a fair amount of DXM in the '90s and even tried extracting it like Joey P mentioned. It's a very interesting time, but definitely NOT recommended. I've experienced some inexplicable phenomena while imbibing. I've also heard people say some pretty amazing things on it - it can cause you to speak in rhyme and/or metered verse! It's a very different experience when done alone vs. a group situation and should never be done outside a safe and controlled environment.

"I said to him, firmly, "I am your mother. And I disapprove.""

This is a really bizarre thing to say to a stranger. Although he was no doubt a complete tool and probably only drank 4oz of stomach-turning guaifenesin, you look looney by saying this kind of thing.

lisacurl
10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
"I said to him, firmly, "I am your mother. And I disapprove.""

This is a really bizarre thing to say to a stranger. Although he was no doubt a complete tool and probably only drank 4oz of stomach-turning guaifenesin, you look looney by saying this kind of thing.
I must live in some bizarro-universe where, generally, people who are ridiculously well-versed in the effects of dextromethorphan as a recreational drug are considered the weirdoes.

Ghanima
10-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm curious, isn't there something you could have done to prevent that kid from driving off? I don't disapprove of getting high, but I do disapprove of getting high and then driving away, generally speaking. Also, it seems to me that he could have been violating some store policy by opening and chugging the contents right in the store.

So, I guess I'm asking, would the store security detain him? Could they? Legally?
What would the cops then arrest him for, theoretically?

It just doesn't compute that his behavior was totally legal.

CarnalK
10-22-2007, 08:26 PM
I must live in some bizarro-universe where, generally, people who are ridiculously well-versed in the effects of dextromethorphan as a recreational drug are considered the weirdoes.
Can't they both be weirdos?

miss elizabeth
10-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Thank you again, fetus. You've fought some ignorance, I hope.

There's nothing wrong with choosing not to use drugs, but a lot of people who experimented did so responsibly, and because they enjoyed it. Not because they were addicts. DXM is hardly addictive. I always really liked robotripping, and I spent many weekends in my young adulthood freaking out on the floor. I loved it, and I've never regretted it. After having a lot of fun, my life changed in ways that made it irresponsible for me to keep doing it. So I quit.

The guy in the store was probably a douche, but being judgmental about what adults do in their own time is nothing to be proud of either.

Hostile Dialect
10-22-2007, 09:41 PM
You are quoting from William White's DXM FAQ, yes

I was quoting from experience, actually. The plateau system is widely understood and widely agreed upon, although, yes, William White was the trailblazer there. His DXM FAQ (which I did link to) is still absolutely the authority, although it has some outdated medical scare stuff--which Cliff Anderson later repudiated (http://erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health2.shtml) and White himself retracted (http://erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health3.shtml). The deeper truth in White's "This is Your Brain on Dissociatives" is still very real: the long-term effect of regular use of dissociatives isn't well understood, and it's not a good idea to do them with much regularity. (Other than nitrous oxide, which IME is just about the safest thing out there as long as you take basic precautions: well-ventilated room, get lots of oxygen, use medical- or food-grade, and take plenty of Vitamin B12 afterwards.) But William White admits that he was intentionally fearmongering in TiYBoD.

What, I'm a "weirdo" for having done a lot of research on it? I think it's a lot weirder (but unfortunately, more common) to speak and listen in platitudes about drugs without actually understanding what they're about.

The use of medication in a way that doesn't jibe with the directions on the bottle is illegal in some jurisdictions, I think, but honestly that's something I'm not particularly well-versed with.

Thank you again, fetus. You've fought some ignorance, I hope.

You're welcome, and thanks for the praise. I hope so too.

DXM is hardly addictive.

Well, now...that's a bit of a relative thing. As much as some people tend to think of addiction in a black and white manner (I don't mean you)--ie, "heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine are addictive; marijuana, LSD and mushrooms are not"--well, yes and no. It's a wide scale with a lot of notches in between one end and the other, not a dipole. DXM can be addictive for some, and IMO it's one of the nastier addictions for those who "catch" it. But it's also an easily avoided addiction, since the effects of the drug itself encourage you to take a break after you come back from your trip. I mean, I've simply never had the urge to do it again right after coming down--the very prospect is disgusting at that moment. I think it's pretty universal that the people who override that and end up becoming DXM addicts have some serious problems, and are avoiding them by buying into the covert prestige: "Look at me! I can drink a whole bunch of cough syrup! I'm a rebel!" It's all about how you look at it going in. And although I used to tell people that they had to experience it sometime, but these days I feel that it's more important that people don't take dissociatives lightly. Their reputation (other than PCP) as less serious drugs than their opiate cousins is certainly earned, but that doesn't mean they're not to be taken seriously.

The guy in the store was probably a douche, but being judgmental about what adults do in their own time is nothing to be proud of either.

Quoted for truth. (Yeah, I know we don't do that here, but cut me some slack--this is the only MB I check.)

Duck Duck Goose
10-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm curious, isn't there something you could have done to prevent that kid from driving off? I don't disapprove of getting high, but I do disapprove of getting high and then driving away, generally speaking. Also, it seems to me that he could have been violating some store policy by opening and chugging the contents right in the store.

So, I guess I'm asking, would the store security detain him? Could they? Legally?

It was. Absolutely, completely, 100% legal. Once I'd ascertained that he was, in fact an adult, and once he'd paid for his purchase, it was his to do with as he wished.

And in fact it's not the first time I've had a customer open medicine and take it right there in front of me. Usually it's a pain reliever like Tylenol, but once it was a daddy who wanted to give some cough medicine to his preschooler right then, as they were on their way to a wedding reception.

And even if the kid had stolen the Wal-Tussin and had chugged it right there, we still couldn't have done anything besides call the cops; legally we're not allowed to physically restrain shoplifters or thieves. If he had stolen it, and we had called the cops, and they had apprehended him, he would have been charged with "theft", and if he was under 18, there would have been some kind of "illicit usage of drug" charge, too.

But that's all.

In response to the folks here who are horrified that I would "interfere" in someone's life by verbally disapproving of some action of theirs, I would like to remind them that we live in a society, a civilization, and I don't take off my "member of society" hat when I put my Walgreens vest on. Occasionally another denizen of the society I live in behaves in a way that causes me to comment aloud, unfavorably, on that behavior. And y'all are just gonna have to deal with it. There are lots of other people like me out there who are gonna let go with a frowny-face "tsk tsk" when you behave like an ass in public.

There's such a thing as "minding one's own business"--and then there's "checking out of the human race and refusing to pipe up, ever." And yeah, occasionally I do pipe up. What's that quote about "the only thing Evil requires to flourish is for good people to do nothing"? How do you know what I said didn't make that young man look at himself, just for a moment, through another's eyes?

How do you know, in other words, that my eye-rollingly busybody-ish comment didn't maybe do some good?

And BTW, I actually make a determined policy of never commenting on what people buy, because they frequently take it the wrong way. Even a seemingly innocuous "Those are pretty..." can cause offense. So I usually keep my mouth firmly closed.

Except when something touches me emotionally. Then I speak up.

As when a nice young man who could have been my son drinks an entire bottle of Robitussin in front of me.

ETA: You're not getting it. I grieved for that kid. I wasn't just pushing my nose in; I was genuinely horrified that someone would do that to himself, and the fact that he could have been MY kid just added emotional resonance to the situation.

Hostile Dialect
10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
In response to the folks here who are horrified that I would "interfere" in someone's life by verbally disapproving of some action of theirs, I would like to remind them that we live in a society, a civilization, and I don't take off my "member of society" hat when I put my Walgreens vest on.

Who's horrified? I'm laughing. "I am your mother, and I disapprove!" Really?

What's that quote about "the only thing Evil requires to flourish is for good people to do nothing"?

Wow! "Evil" is a 25-year-old man chugging guiafenasin at Wal-Mart?

Because this is the Pit and I don't feel like starting a new thread about what's a pretty silly topic to begin with, I'm not going to type the next sentence that came to mind.

How do you know, in other words, that my eye-rollingly busybody-ish comment didn't maybe do some good?

Hey, for all I know he could've quit drugs and become the next Mahatma Ghandi in the few days since you did that. But AFAICT, all you did was make yourself look ridiculous, so I'll be here laughing until this guy does stop a war.

I was genuinely horrified that someone would do that to himself

Yeah, drinking a bottle of Robitussin is about the most horrifying thing a young man can do to himself in this society. OK, Member of Society, you do what you have to do.

Wee Bairn
10-23-2007, 12:01 PM
I wonder why getting high from nutmeg (http://truthtree.com/Nutmeg.shtml) hasn't gained popularity.

OneCentStamp
10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
I wonder why getting high from nutmeg (http://truthtree.com/Nutmeg.shtml) hasn't gained popularity.If you're asking seriously, it's because in many people, "the amount needed for a high" > "the amount needed to make you violently ill." Vomiting, headache, shakes/tremors. If you can stomach it, however, it does work as advertised. Or so I've heard.

Wee Bairn
10-23-2007, 12:24 PM
If you're asking seriously, it's because in many people, "the amount needed for a high" > "the amount needed to make you violently ill." Vomiting, headache, shakes/tremors. If you can stomach it, however, it does work as advertised. Or so I've heard.

Yes legitimate question.

The guy in the article I linked says mixing fresh nutmeg with milk and sugar tastes okay going down- do you mean violently ill from the ingesting, or as a result later on after it digests?

WhyNot
10-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Yes legitimate question.

The guy in the article I linked says mixing fresh nutmeg with milk and sugar tastes okay going down- do you mean violently ill from the ingesting, or as a result later on after it digests?
First of all, you have to do a LOT of nutmeg and it pretty much has to be fresh grated, which is a lot of work. And most casual drug users aren't much into the work, y'know what I'm sayin'? It's a lot easier to buy some acid or mushrooms or go hug your Aunt Lucy's datura plant. (Note that I don't recommend datura for getting high either; it really is deadly, "natural" or no. Acid and mushrooms, while illegal, are far safer than datura or nutmeg.)

Nutmeg's high is also not all that pleasant, by most accounts. It's really intense, it lasts a long time (sometimes two or three days) and nutmeg trippers are anecdotally more prone to bad trips, frightening hallucinations and paranoia than many other psychedelics.

It can also make you very nauseous and can even cause death, but the line between "enough to get you high" and "enough to kill you" is fairly slim. This tends to make most casual users not want to take the risk. Nutmeg is a muscle relaxant and sedative, and can cause coma and death from as little as two to three nuts' worth.

So put all that together, and only the bravest psychonauts are likely to add nutmeg to their resume.

Qadgop the Mercotan
10-23-2007, 12:43 PM
So put all that together, and only the bravest psychonauts are likely to add nutmeg to their resume.
Bravest? :dubious:

OneCentStamp
10-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Yes legitimate question.

The guy in the article I linked says mixing fresh nutmeg with milk and sugar tastes okay going down- do you mean violently ill from the ingesting, or as a result later on after it digests?The nutmeg itself seems to be slightly nausea-inducing; that feeling settles in before any drug effects do. And then the actual high is itself a pretty queasy one, on top of the fact that your stomach is already upset. Not a pretty one-two punch.

chaoticbear
10-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Wait wait wait. So is DXM really as safe as these anecdotes suggest? Are there any worries of Bad Things happening? I've always wanted to try it.

Joey P
10-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Wait wait wait. So is DXM really as safe as these anecdotes suggest? Are there any worries of Bad Things happening? I've always wanted to try it.
I haven't been to Erowid in a long time, but that site should answer most of your questions regarding recreational dosage as well as LD50.
And anything else you'd want to know about DXM or any other drug.

Hostile Dialect
10-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Reasons people don't get high on nutmeg, especially not more than once. (http://erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Nutmeg.shtml)

FlyingCowOfDoom
10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Just as a general FYI, you do not want to drink this stuff. I am not speaking from experience, but Amy Sedaris heard that it was a laxative so she tried it out. She heard right.You definitely don't want to drink Visine, but it's not a laxative. Drinking a lot would probably kill you, though. (http://snopes.com/medical/myths/visine.asp)

--FCOD

Anaamika
10-23-2007, 04:35 PM
So put all that together, and only the bravest psychonauts are likely to add nutmeg to their resume.If getting high on nutmeg causes me to make a webpage like the one previously linked, then I'm all for no one ever getting high on that shit again.

Good God Almighty.

Duck Duck Goose
10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
"Evil" is a 25-year-old man chugging guiafenasin at Wal-Mart?

No, "evil" is a 25-year-old man indulging in substance abuse.
In public.

drinking a bottle of Robitussin is about the most horrifying thing a young man can do to himself in this society.

I'm 52. From my perspective, Life is precious. Health is precious. The body you're equipped with at birth isn't that sturdy to begin with, but with care, it can last you 80 years.

So I'm frankly astonished when I see someone who doesn't seem to understand what a fragile equilibrium his human body exists in, when I see him run it into the ground by deliberately overdosing it with something, whether it's DXM or crack or alcohol.

It's the same way you'd be shocked if you saw someone with a classic car using it in a demolition derby. You'd think, "Geez, doesn't the poor mope get that that thing's valuable?"

Same sentiment here.

I'm getting uncomfortable with the "is it okay for me to try DXM and/or nutmeg, and if so, how?" slant this thread seems to be heading. IMO that's skating too close to the edge of agreeing "not to post material that in our opinion fosters or promotes activity that is illegal in the U.S." And robotripping by under-18s is illegal.

So I'm going to ask a mod to close this. It wasn't my intention to start a debate on the morality of substance abuse, or to offer a venue for the DIYers (Somethingawful.com already has a massive forum dedicated to that.)

All I wanted was to share something mundane and pointless. Mission accomplished, I guess.

SkipMagic
10-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Closed at the request of the OP.

Best Topics: detective logan pukka means gymnastic wedgie vulva kick oop server meryl streep porn raunchiest romance novels batteries positive end nicks butt dent in leg catloaf position drinking heroin mythbusters helium balloon mallet handle carotid artery severed pentecostal girls couch outside gun safety button dirty pair novels sadel ring desmond harrington health artillery bombardment veggies for chili transparent whiteboards death from pancreatitis public places definition lesbians dildos vacuum spiders bender explains irony fiennes pronunciation why is a restaurant bill called a check variable speed attic fan futurama that darn katz fire alarms going off randomly moses was a basket case how to convert a satellite dish to tv antenna south park the passion of the jew german translation pot roast internal temperature crock pot german plane in raiders of the lost ark what do you call a person from switzerland why do people get their tongues pierced k&n air filter mpg how does eel taste why does my jaw tingle when i eat why do i smell like garlic is silly putty toxic to dogs is your blood type on birth certificate how to install paneling over drywall what are double first cousins only once in your life sell a domain name on godaddy undercover boss gets fired is frickin a swear word blow in insulation menards marcus aurelius on god what does it mean when you burp smoke what year is a series of unfortunate events set in how to neutralize ammonia smell why do tetanus shots make your arm sore lord love a duck saying [email protected] tot finder stickers for windows burning coal in a wood stove is a straw purchase on a vehicle illegal