PDA

View Full Version : Coolest nickname for fans? Coolest fan nickname that should be used but isn't?

WordMan
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
I suspect there is a thread or two on this:

Grateful Dead - Deadheads
Jimmy Buffect - Parrot Heads
Firefly/Serenity - Browncoats
Star Trek - Trekkers (or Trekkies, but it is my understanding that Trekker is preferred)
Red Sox - Red Sox Nation

Which fan base has the coolest name? How in the heck do these names get into popular usage anyway?

Share your nominations and any background how on that name got coined or made popular...

...oh - and if he has such a big following, how come I never hear that Springsteen's fans have a nickname for themselves? Have I just not heard it?

Who else's fans should have a nickname but don't - what should their nickname be? Don't be mean - no need to slam anything here. I would prefer it if the person suggesting a nickname counts themselves as a member of that fanbase...

Elenfair
11-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Firefly fans are also called "Flans" -- all because of Nathan Fillion misspeaking during an interview. It amuses me greatly.

Southern Yankee
11-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm not a Cleveland Browns fan, but I think "The Dawg Pound" is pretty cool.

DfrntBreign
11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
A lot of Allman Brothers fans refer to themselves as "Peachheads".

Annie-Xmas
11-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Rent has RENTHeads and Phantom of the Opera has Phans (though I think of them as POTatOHEADS).

Auntbeast
11-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I've always hated the diminutive term for the ladies auxillary of whatever. Like the Lady Orioles or whatnot. Thankfully, our local boys didn't go that route and call their cheerleaders the Swashbucklers. I deeply, deeply wish that the cheerleaders for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Bucs) were the Buc-ettes.

OT: Rabid, over-everything, drunk, aging male fans of the University of Florida are Bull Gators. (BuHl Gatahz, if you are a native.)

Aren't folks from the Florida Keys called Conchs?

Bayard
11-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Weren't X-Files fans called X-philes? I guess that only really works in print, but I always thought it was clever. To the OP: I am not a member of that fanbase. I'm not sure I'm a member of any fanbase that has a nickname. People who like air-cooled cars sometimes call themselves "airheads", but since I'm not as rabid about it as your average airhead, I don't apply the term to myself.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Richard Thompson fans: Dickheads

Mike Keneally fans: Forheads (after his band Beer For Dolphins)

twickster
11-12-2007, 04:28 PM
People who like air-cooled cars sometimes call themselves "airheads", but since I'm not as rabid about it as your average airhead, I don't apply the term to myself.
Air-cooled motorcycles as well -- I love my "Airheads, Simple by Choice" T-shirt.

What Exit?
11-12-2007, 04:50 PM
...oh - and if he has such a big following, how come I never hear that Springsteen's fans have a nickname for themselves? Have I just not heard it?
Sometimes it just feels like Jersians for the 'Boss'. ;)

I note you did not include 'Cheeseheads', which is good, as that would be the uncoolist nickname for a fan base.

BTW: Trekkies appear to be cranky older fans that only like the original series & movies (like me).

A specific subset of Yankee fans are the "Bleacher Creatures". Very cool.

Jim

askeptic
11-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Barry Manilow fans= Fanilows

CapnPitt
11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Springsteen fans are known as Tramps. As in "tramps like us, baby we were born to run."

::horribly sad that I sold my tickets for Wednesday's show in Pittsburgh::

Ephemera
11-12-2007, 05:01 PM
BTW: Trekkies appear to be cranky older fans that only like the original series & movies (like me).

I'm a 25 year old Trekkie that hates Star Trek and I can't recall anyone that's ever told me they prefer to be called a Trekker.

Soul
11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Followers of Widespread Panic call themselves Spreadheads, which is the only name I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned.

What Exit?
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm a 25 year old Trekkie that hates Star Trek and I can't recall anyone that's ever told me they prefer to be called a Trekker.
Its weird and totally not PC, but while Trekkie was geeky and I never minded it, Trekker always sounded gay to me. ;)

I haven't been to a convention since 1987 and we were still mainly Trekkies way back then. I thought Trekkers seem to come along with Next Generation.

Jim

An Gadaí
11-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Gary Numan - Numanoids! :)

Ephemera
11-12-2007, 05:17 PM
It might have been the case during the early years of TNG but I got into Trek around '93 and spent the following ten years heavily involved in the fandom and never once met anyone that said they were a Trekker and not a Trekkie, though I pretended to a couple times, just to screw with people.

I think it's like "Beam Me Up, Scotty". A phrase or term everyone "knows" about Trek but was never actually said or commonly used.

Der Trihs
11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
"Culture Vulture", a fan of the Culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture) books by Iain M. Banks.

Hey, It's That Guy!
11-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I've heard Tom Waits fans called "Rain Dogs," after the 1985 album that might be his best one ever. He has said that Rain Dogs refer to dogs who lose track of their familiar smells when it rains very hard, and can't find their way back home.

Darryl Lict
11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Richard Thompson fans: Dickheads
I've got a Dick Dale T-shirt that says "I'm a Dickhead". I rarely wear it.

brownie55
11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Sometimes it just feels like Jersians for the 'Boss'. ;)

I note you did not include 'Cheeseheads', which is good, as that would be the uncoolist nickname for a fan base.

Jim
Jersians? I just sat in a packed indoor arena listening to him try to play and sing. It's a lot more widespread that Jersey my friend. I may pit him later, or just CS depending.

NDP
11-12-2007, 06:19 PM

Jim

Weren't the"Bleacher Creatures" originally the frequently intoxicated, rowdy, and obscene-chanting fans that used to populate Detroit's old Tiger Stadium?

Anyway, while we're on the topic of teams that have a notable criminal element among their fans, I like the use of the term "Raiderfan" (also spelled as "Raider fan") to collectively refer to the Droog-like followers of the Oakland Raiders. Unfortunately, the Raiders have sucked for the last few years so I don't know if they still have many tweaked and/or drunk Road Warrior refugees turn up for their games.

Justin_Bailey
11-12-2007, 06:56 PM
It might have been the case during the early years of TNG but I got into Trek around '93 and spent the following ten years heavily involved in the fandom and never once met anyone that said they were a Trekker and not a Trekkie, though I pretended to a couple times, just to screw with people.

I think it's like "Beam Me Up, Scotty". A phrase or term everyone "knows" about Trek but was never actually said or commonly used.

Count me in as another one who's never heard the word "Trekker" uttered by any Star Trek fan.

But I've been hearing "They prefer to be called Trekkers" forever.

AskNott
11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Fans of charity concerts such as FarmAid and the Crossroads festivals are Giveheads. :p

Taber
11-12-2007, 07:19 PM
I suspect there is a thread or two on this:

Radiohead - Radioheadheads?

What Exit?
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Jersians? I just sat in a packed indoor arena listening to him try to play and sing. It's a lot more widespread that Jersey my friend. I may pit him later, or just CS depending.
I was joking, I used the ;) an all.

NDP: Bleacher Creatures have been Bleacher Creatures for at least decades in the Right Field Bleachers of Yankee Stadium.

brownie55
11-12-2007, 07:25 PM
I was joking, I used the ;) an all.
You did. I misinterpreted the wink for an insider thing, not an ironic thing. I type corrected.

That SOB cost me about 350 bucks last night (tickets and dinner), and that was to be the only artist to even fall in my estimation after seeing him/her/them live. I may not be reacting rationally.

Proudest Monkey
11-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Red Sox - Red Sox Nation

If I weren't a card-carrying member (since '67), I think I would HATE this. Seems so smug and overreaching. Kind of like calling the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team." I fucking hate the Cowboys almost as much as I love the Sox.

Yeah, I bleed Sox Red (and have, many times; '86 most notably), but I cringe a little bit at "Red Sox Nation."

What Exit?
11-12-2007, 07:44 PM
You did. I misinterpreted the wink for an insider thing, not an ironic thing. I type corrected.

That SOB cost me about 350 bucks last night (tickets and dinner), and that was to be the only artist to even fall in my estimation after seeing him/her/them live. I may not be reacting rationally.
Sorry about that, I have only seen him for free. About 3 times. Once was two songs with Ringo's All Star Band and twice at the Stone Pony. One of the times he showed up mostly unannounced for a benefit. He went on at about 11pm and kept the Pony open until about 3am.

It was one of the best music events of my life. I was part of the group the benefit was for so I got roped into standing in front of the stage to act as crowd control. Oh the torture, I was forced to be in front of him for 4 hours of music. Best benefit ever for being a volunteer in an environmental group.

He did a kick ass version of Santa Claus is coming to town, a small chance the one that gets the annual radio play, I never heard the version before that.

Jim

RealityChuck
11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Mott the Hoople fans = Sea Divers
George Harrison/Beatles fans = Apple Scruffs (George wrote a song about them).
Science fiction fans: fen (obsolete)

DfrntBreign
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I remembered another. Fans of the band moe. (and who isn't, really) call themselves moe-rons. (And yes, that is how the band's name is spelled; lower-case m and a period.)

I think fans of Marvel comics are supposed to think of themselves as "true believers", but I've never heard anyone but Stan Lee use the term.

Kamino Neko
11-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I think fans of Marvel comics are supposed to think of themselves as "true believers", but I've never heard anyone but Stan Lee use the term.

The proper term is Marvel Zombies.

JThunder
11-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Dopers.

Kythereia
11-12-2007, 10:25 PM
LOTR fans are called Ringers; Doctor Who fans are called Whovians...

blondebear
11-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Neil Young=Rusties

Darth Nader
11-13-2007, 12:26 AM
never mind.

Omniscient
11-13-2007, 12:37 AM
The best nickname in sports is for the Cubbie's fans, the Wrigley Faithful. Captures all you need to know about poor folks born into this.

Leiko
11-13-2007, 01:08 AM
People who are fans of the Harry Potter/Hermione Granger pairing to the point that they think JK Rowling betrayed them by putting Hermione with Ron are called Harmonians. You can like HP/HG fic, or think that, if Ron died, it might work in canon, without being a Harmonian. To quote the Fandom Wank Wiki, "A Harmonian wanks because JK Rowling is undermining her own literary masterwork and teaching little girls everywhere to despair of marrying Mr. Right and settle for Mr. Right's unremarkable roommate."

Oddly, I can't think of a specific name used for HP fans in general. I feel like a lot of my fandoms don't have overarching titles, just pairing names and inside jokes and such.

Fans of Farscape are 'Scapers, though.

Hostile Dialect
11-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Which fan base has the coolest name? How in the heck do these names get into popular usage anyway?

"X Nation" is a common form for referring to a sports team's fanbase, especially when they have a lot of fans outside of the metropolitan area where their team plays. One hears much talk about "Raider Nation" here in San Diego (not so much now that the Chargers have been far better for a handful of years, which just goes to show that most of the people who pretended to be diehard Raiders fans in 2001 were fairweather fans just like everyone else in this town).

Don't forget the Cameron Crazies down at Duke.

Of course, one band that leads itself to a great nickname is Leftover Crack. Why their fans aren't called Crackheads is beyond me.

Anyway, while we're on the topic of teams that have a notable criminal element among their fans, I like the use of the term "Raiderfan" (also spelled as "Raider fan") to collectively refer to the Droog-like followers of the Oakland Raiders. Unfortunately, the Raiders have sucked for the last few years so I don't know if they still have many tweaked and/or drunk Road Warrior refugees turn up for their games.

It's worth noting that the criminality of Raider Nation started with one enterprising leader of a soccer fan gang for Chelsea out in London. He sensed fertile ground for sports violence in Oakland and organized Raiderfans (I like that) to sweep the parking lots and stands, committing the same violent tricks he commanded with the boys in Chelsea.

Morbo
11-13-2007, 01:38 AM
never mind.

Nirvana fans?

Nametag
11-13-2007, 05:23 AM
Why would a person who hates Star Trek call himself a Trekkie? Is there some other meaning?

Incidentally, although the usage is said to have originated in the late '60s, I first recall it from a television promo in the mid-'70s. Revulsion amongst fans was swift and immediate, as many found the "-ie" ending to be infantilizing and dismissive, suggesting "Trekker" instead. This is the origin of the "Trekker is preferred" meme; obviously, the sentiment was neither universal nor especially long-lasting.

Nametag
11-13-2007, 05:27 AM
"X Nation" is a common form for referring to a sports team's fanbase, especially when they have a lot of fans outside of the metropolitan area where their team plays. One hears much talk about "Raider Nation" here in San Diego (not so much now that the Chargers have been far better for a handful of years, which just goes to show that most of the people who pretended to be diehard Raiders fans in 2001 were fairweather fans just like everyone else in this town).I'm horrified to think there was ever a sizable Raider fan base in San Diego. I haven't lived there for a long time, but Al Davis was the Antichrist when I was growing up, and every player on the team was evil incarnate.
It's worth noting that the criminality of Raider Nation started with one enterprising leader of a soccer fan gang for Chelsea out in London. He sensed fertile ground for sports violence in Oakland and organized Raiderfans (I like that) to sweep the parking lots and stands, committing the same violent tricks he commanded with the boys in Chelsea.
cite?

This'll Do
11-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Aren't folks from the Florida Keys called Conchs?

We are, indeed.
Back in the day, the term referred only to those folks born and raised in Key West. There is (or was) an entire esoteric culture surrounding the natives: all boys and many girls had a Conch-name used only by their peer group; and a few odd traditions not shared with outsiders. I haven't been there in 20 years, but I understand that "Conch" has broadened to include non-natives and has lost it's exclusivity.

bbs2k
11-13-2007, 06:49 AM
What the fuck is a Juggalo?

Auntbeast
11-13-2007, 07:45 AM
We are, indeed.
Back in the day, the term referred only to those folks born and raised in Key West. There is (or was) an entire esoteric culture surrounding the natives: all boys and many girls had a Conch-name used only by their peer group; and a few odd traditions not shared with outsiders. I haven't been there in 20 years, but I understand that "Conch" has broadened to include non-natives and has lost it's exclusivity.

A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits. You have my word that I shall never refer to anyone that is not born/bred in the Keys as a Conch. No matter how many try to come down and change it. I've lived in Florida since I was 3 years old and when asked if I'm a Floridian, I say no.

And neither are all you damned yankees that have lived here for 3 years.
</pet peeve rant off>

tonedef
11-13-2007, 08:11 AM
What the fuck is a Juggalo?
A fan of the insane clown possie (or affiliate groups)

Slipknot fans = maggots

hardcore techno fans i like to think are called "wankers"

Jet Jaguar
11-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Mystery Science Theater 3000 fans are "MSTies" (I'm #54297, myself).

A cooler nickname, though, is the one riders of the Suzuki V-Strom motorcycle are called: "Stromtroopers".

CalMeacham
11-13-2007, 08:58 AM

I've said it before, but I like it, so I'll say it again:

So does this makes fans of Monty Python DeadParrotHeads?

What Exit?
11-13-2007, 09:33 AM
LOTR fans are called Ringers;
News to me and I have been a huge fan of the Professor's works since 1976. I have never heard that phrase used before, it sounds quite dumb. There was a society of Middle-Earth fans, but I can no longer recall its name.

Where did Ringers come from, the movies?

RickJay
11-13-2007, 09:41 AM
I was extremely amused a few years ago to discover that fans of Michael Platley (remember him?) are called Flatheads.

Clay Aiken fans - a fairly similet set of people, I expect - are of course called Claymates.

The Ottawa Senators really blew this challenge, though. I'm a huge Senators fan, but I was surprised and disappointed when I discovered that the official Sens fan club is called the "Sens Army." Aside from being boring and unoriginal, the correct term, which would have been awesome, is rather obvious when you consider the team's logo is a Roman soldier:

"The Legion."

Darth Sensitive
11-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, your Duke basketball fans are the Cameron Crazies.

At Oklahoma State's Gallagher-Iba Arena you have the Northside Nasties and Southside Savages behind the endlines.

And then fans of the University of Oklahoma are "goddamned dirty, classless gooners."

Ephemera
11-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Why would a person who hates Star Trek call himself a Trekkie? Is there some other meaning?

When I say I hate Star Trek, I am referring to the series that aired between '67 and '69, not the franchise itself. I enjoy the majority of the movies and most of its spin-offs but am not a fan of the original series at all.

CapnPitt
11-13-2007, 11:58 AM
The University of Pittsburgh student section for basketball is called The Oakland Zoo (Pitt is located in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh).

I think the Univ. of Oregon football fans are called the Autzen Zoo (after the name of the stadium).

StinkyBurrito
11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
The Teeming Millions

zamboniracer
11-13-2007, 01:43 PM
"X Nation" is a common form for referring to a sports team's fanbase, especially when they have a lot of fans outside of the metropolitan area where their team plays. One hears much talk about "Raider Nation" here in San Diego (not so much now that the Chargers have been far better for a handful of years, which just goes to show that most of the people who pretended to be diehard Raiders fans in 2001 were fairweather fans just like everyone else in this town).

Considering San Diego's climate (aside from the forest fires :eek: ), what choice do people there have but to be "fair weather" fans? :)

zamboniracer
11-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Notre Dame football fans who had no real connection to the school other than the football team were called "Subway alumni."

Now they're called Charlie Weis' lynch mob. ;)

DigitalC
11-13-2007, 03:25 PM
I can't believe im the first one to mention Hulkamaniacs.

Time Like Tears
11-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Tori Amos refers to her fans as "Ears With Feet".

Least Original User Name Ever
11-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Weren't the"Bleacher Creatures" originally the frequently intoxicated, rowdy, and obscene-chanting fans that used to populate Detroit's old Tiger Stadium?

Nope, the Black (http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/51523649.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19376B8110E2B27ACAC4F886987CF762280A55A1E4F32AD3138) Hole (http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u142/quackattack559/TheBlackHole.jpg) is still alive and kicking.

(one half of the Tiger Stadium bleachers)
EAT SHIT!

(other half, in response)
FUCK YOU!

...that's to the same cadence as the old Miller Lite slogan: "Less filling, tastes great".

Pithy Moniker
11-13-2007, 05:58 PM
My wife is a big Bon Jovi fan. I call her a Jovi's Witness.

Lemur866
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
My wife is a big Bon Jovi fan. I call her a Jovi's Witness.
And to think, if I were to beat you to death for that pun, I'D be the one who went to jail.

Justin_Bailey
11-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Where did Ringers come from, the movies?

Ringers seems to have been coined as a LOTR-counterpart to Trekker because of the movies. It is, like Trekker, not very accepted among most fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien_fandom

But it's also the name of a Tolkien documentary that does cover the entire history of LOTR-fandom, so it's probably here to stay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringers:_Lord_of_the_Fans

Totally unrelated, David Cone fans are referred to as Coneheads.

Even further unrelated, I'm always surprised Buffy fandom never got a nickname.

Sternvogel
11-13-2007, 06:38 PM
When Gene Keady was the coach of the Purdue men's basketball team, the student section was referred to as "The Gene Pool".

The Antlers (University of Missouri student rowdies) are notorious for their antics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Antlers) at Tigers' basketball games.

What Exit?
11-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Ringers seems to have been coined as a LOTR-counterpart to Trekker because of the movies. It is, like Trekker, not very accepted among most fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien_fandom

But it's also the name of a Tolkien documentary that does cover the entire history of LOTR-fandom, so it's probably here to stay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringers:_Lord_of_the_Fans

Totally unrelated, David Cone fans are referred to as Coneheads.

Even further unrelated, I'm always surprised Buffy fandom never got a nickname.
Here is the one that was popular in the 80s: Mythopoeic Society (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythopoeic_Society)

Best Topics: roman steel pa6-5000 1700s money repel coyotes cheerleader no spankies booksamillion dupont leaded gasoline stations right reverend the apricot sniper dr manhattan mars mlk statue diamond tip bits chinese housewarming gift expired inspection bilbo's speech cute mantis dentist novocaine 70 ethyl alcohol pronounce excelsis husky collie mix airbag cost microwave wood water bottle silencer depressed jokes conn a ship deck boards menards mash characters hometowns sexual gimp auto kitchens ant haul pathfinder witcher 2 can't riposte why do you mount a horse from the left? jack russell terrier hunting rabbits what does the pope wear under his robe white slime on carrots best way to liquidate an estate backwards k for strikeout tying cherry stems with tongue cutting tile without a tile saw corporate limits of a city is plasma donation income taxable al vs nl rules when is rebellion justified what makes someone a scientist humans having sex with sheep bumper badger vs bumper bully if the mountain won t come nicest and meanest celebrities how to grease a ball joint age limit for high school diploma can you use rubbing alcohol on a cat wet toilet paper before wiping what does a jail cell look like submarine found in chicago river reheating corn on the cob in the microwave having tonsils removed at 30 does usps deliver multiple times a day banned movies for child exploitation can you cash in your birth certificate walgreens inkjet refill service how to keep flies out of garage does mail move on saturday i stared into the abyss low spark of high heeled boys meaning