PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter novels and drinking pumpkin juice...Do people really do this?

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
While it's sensible to assume that the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry isn't serving Chardonnay to the students in the dining hall, the novels do mention several times that they are drinking pumpkin juice.

Pumpkin juice??

Do people really drink pumpkin juice, on a widespread enough basis that it would be made the standard drink with meals for a fictional private school? Even a magical one?

Anaglyph
12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I assume that magical pumpkin produce better-tasting juice than real ones.

Antinor01
12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Here's a recipe for pumpkin juice (http://seasonalrecipes.com/rec/recipe72.pumpkinjuice.html) that actually sounds pretty decent. I would imagine the HP stories refer to something similar.

Dangerosa
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I drink pumpkin malts and I've had pumpkin martinis. I don't suppose Hogwarts serves pumpkin martinis to the first years though.

cmkeller
12-04-2007, 06:16 PM
I always though that it's made up as a drink for witches (and wizards) because pumpkins are associated with Halloween.

NajaNivea
12-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I always though that it's made up as a drink for witches (and wizards) because pumpkins are associated with Halloween.
Right. Like butterbeer. Or cockroach clusters or ice mice. It's fiction, people, and that includes fictional food and beverages ;)

Johnny L.A.
12-04-2007, 11:59 PM
It's fiction, people, and that includes fictional food and beverages ;)
Right. People should pay attention to real things.

Well, I think I'll mix up a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster.

Malacandra
12-05-2007, 04:21 AM
Right. People should pay attention to real things.

Well, I think I'll mix up a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster.

I'm more a jinnan tonix man myself.

KneadToKnow
12-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Like butterbeer.
Dos buttercervezas, por favor.

jackdavinci
12-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Right. Like butterbeer. Or cockroach clusters or ice mice. It's fiction, people, and that includes fictional food and beverages ;)

Well it's England, they do eat some weird things! I personally find the idea of eating pumpkin pie or pumpkin flavored coffee kind of weird and those are real... ;-)

And speaking of butterbeer, is it supposed to be alcoholic, or is it more like Malta?

Skara_Brae
12-06-2007, 01:32 PM
And speaking of butterbeer, is it supposed to be alcoholic, or is it more like Malta?

Well according to the Wiki it is alcoholic
Butterbeer is the drink of choice for younger wizards. Harry is first presented with the beverage in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Though marketed to children, it does contain alcohol: it appears to cause no noticeable drunkenness on a thirteen-year-old human (though it creates the feeling of "warmth"), but is strong enough to cause drunkenness in a house-elf; presumably, in very large amounts, the same would apply to a human. In the sixth book, Harry wonders what Ron and Hermione might do at Professor Slughorn's Christmas party "under the influence of Butterbeer", indicating that it can lower inhibitions, though presumably in very large amounts. J. K. Rowling said in her interview to Bon Appetit magazine that she imagines it "to taste a little bit like less-sickly butterscotch". Butterbeer can be served cold or hot but either way it has a warming effect.

I have found two recipes for it on the interwebs: One alcoholic (Butterscotch snappes - yum) and one non-.

Little Plastic Ninja
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Dos buttercervezas, por favor.

Cervezas de mantequilla?

I like the sound of buttercerveza better, though. ;)

The Drafthouse makes a butterbeer and serves it whenever they do the Potter movies. It needs something; I'm not sure what. Oh -- and I have had pumpkin coffee, which I thought would be utterly vile. It was given to me before I knew what it was. Tasted quite nice actually.

Boggette
12-06-2007, 03:41 PM
"Bug Juice" anyone? That's an American staple drink from my neck-o-the-woods.

rocking chair
12-06-2007, 06:28 PM
i figured butterbeer to be something like rootbeer subbing butterscotch for root.

WhyNot
12-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I thought of it like apple cider - which made the alcohol or not question really easy: yes. There's butterbeer with and without alcohol, just like apple cider.

Mangetout
12-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Well it's England, they do eat some weird things! I personally find the idea of eating pumpkin pie or pumpkin flavored coffee kind of weird and those are real... ;-)It certainly wouldn't be a traditional thing rooted in ancient history, as pumpkins are fairly newly-introduced to these isles - they were unknown here until the discovery of the Americas, where they are native.

OttoDaFe
12-06-2007, 11:57 PM
"Bug Juice" anyone? That's an American staple drink from my neck-o-the-woods.In the neck-o-the-woods where my father grew up (western Montana) "bug juice" = soy sauce. It was so labeled on the family bottle, replenished regularly from restaurant packets. Fortunately for tradition, my children now know it by that name.

Back to the topic at hand: assuming that one gets pumpkin juice from the flesh rather from the seeds, &c., it strikes me that you're gonna have to press a whole heap o' pumpkins to get any significant amount of it. Without a passel of house elves to do the grunt work, I doubt that it would be a worthwhile enterprise.

Kyla
12-07-2007, 05:50 AM
I'm reading Harry Potter in Bulgarian right now and butterbeer has been translated as "beer shake".

Ew.

(My guess for the translator's reasoning is that the Bulgarian word for "buttter" also means ink and oil, and you can only tell from context what exactly you're referring to, and here there pretty much IS no context. Still, beer shake?)

Best Topics: mofo def hippie communes 1960s define titrating stalin jokes mice in ductwork daughter panties dumb wife how to untab mythbusters quicksand cow cod potemkin villages fat mourning dove shoot heroin english muffin biscuit broadcasting institution change footnote font volkswagen farfegnugen call payphone cake with file buy hitachi pronunciation of sacajawea smoke peanut skins bud light headache bad bikers chopping brocoli he washers barad dur height ebay tungsten rings mri panic button fresh halibut prices monique jefferies unattended death autopsy matrix helicopter crash robert kennedy jr s voice problem 50 grams of curry paste is how many tablespoons what does captain morgan taste like razer surround vs sbx how to get over being drunk rage against the machine hypocrites how to remove dried dog poop from carpet why is my computer talking to me 80 days to months how to reheat bread pudding can i use neosporin in my nose giuchie, giuchie, ya ya dada how much is monopoly at walmart buster keaton bacon number how old do you have to be to get a prepaid card how much does a yard of concrete weigh contact solution that bubbles wisconsin civil service exam 8 to the bar band retire in merida mexico why does flash player update so often how to fix a paper jam in hp printer can you save ps1 games on ps2 memory card keep fighting the good fight meaning brazilian blowout pros and cons august and everything after lyrics no period after mirena insertion do you capitalize nazi why do i stutter now where to buy chloroform online growth spurt after 18 what do hearts of palm taste like