PDA

View Full Version : I finally tried menudo

Darryl Lict
12-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Well, for years I've been trying to psyche up to have some menudo. I figured it's a necessary food item to scratch off one's list in order to have any weird food cred. I opted for the large bowl because it was only 50¢ more. I guess cow stomach must be cheap because I haven't seen so much animal organ in one bowl in my life. It wasn't bad, the tripe had the consistency of overcooked calamari. A little chewy but nothing like the animal skin it resembled. It's texture is really nothing like the tripe you get in pho, which is kind of crunchy like cartilage. It also doesn't have the bizarre feathery look to it like the pho tripe or the stuff you see at the supermarket. I know that cows have something like 4 stomachs, so maybe they use a different one. I wasn't hungover, which was unusual for a Saturday morning, so I was unable to test its medicinal effects.

I don't think I'll have it again any time soon. I only managed to eat about 1/8 of it. I will try it again sometime. People tell me that the Rose Cafe (http://rosecafe2.com/) is the local spot to get it, and the broth is to die for. What's your opinion?

silenus
12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Menudo is like haggis. I'm convinced that the natives don't really eat it, they just made it up as a dare for the touristas.

"Hey, Abdul. Let's tell the Foreign Service chap that sheep's eyeball is a delicacy, and that he'll offend Mustafa if he doesn't eat it."

"Snerk! No way he'll buy a story that stup......Hey, the idiot's eating it! Gross!"

Sapo
12-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I don't know about menudo in particular, but tripe rules. So much so that it will be the featured dish for our New Year's feast this year. I prefer it the Spanish way (callos) but the local dish (mondongo) is also very good.

want2know
12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Menudo is like haggis. I'm convinced that the natives don't really eat it, they just made it up as a dare for the touristas.

Actually, I work with a Mexican fellow, and sometimes on the weekends we'll order some from Roberto's Taco Shop . It's really kinda tasty, and Roberto's version contains pig's feet as well (which my co-worker tells me is true menudo).

Every Mexican place I've ever been to only serves it on the weekends--I assume that's a tradition owing to its alleged hangover-curing powers.

Darryl Lict
12-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Actually, I work with a Mexican fellow, and sometimes on the weekends we'll order some from Roberto's Taco Shop . It's really kinda tasty, and Roberto's version contains pig's feet as well (which my co-worker tells me is true menudo).

Every Mexican place I've ever been to only serves it on the weekends--I assume that's a tradition owing to its alleged hangover-curing powers.
Interesting info about the pig's feet. A lot of the recipes online have either calve's feet or pig's feet. I didn't see anything that looked like a pig's foot. There was some huge bone in mine that looked like a vertebrate but it had some piece of organ hanging off of it. It's definitely just a weekend thing as far as I can tell.

elfkin477
12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
You....you cannibal!

Zabali_Clawbane
12-10-2007, 09:19 PM

I've had this kind of menudo, with warm corn tortillias and fresh lemon juice squeezed from a thick lemon wedge. MMMmmmm! It's good! :D ETA: And it was Texans of Mexican descent who made, and served, and ate it with me as well.

Johnny L.A.
12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I like a nice bowl of menudo, with cilanto, fresh chopped onions, lime juice, and some Tapatio. I usually don't do the tortillas though. Not that I have anything against them, but I usually just don't eat them with it. I prefer it without the hominy.

There's something intriguing about putting a stomach in your stomach. And it's mighty tasty to boot.

Pho was mentioned. I was all ready for a nice bowl of pho yesterday. But when I got to the restaurant they were closed. Maybe I'll get some mañana.

pulykamell
12-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Menudo is awesome, but I grew up eating Polish tripe stew, so it doesn't gross me out. It's yummy if prepared well. Menudo and pozole/posole (pork-hominy soup) are reasons to look forward to the weekend (both are generally only served on weekends around here, although I'm starting to see more places offer posole at all times).

JThunder
12-11-2007, 08:50 AM
I always thought they were overrated. Don't know why my sister loved them so much.

vallucorojo
12-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, for years I've been trying to psyche up to have some menudo. I figured it's a necessary food item to scratch off one's list in order to have any weird food cred.

Menudo is part of a good 3am meal after a night of drunkeness on a Saturday evening heading to Sunday morning. Sorry. You get no "weird food cred". Well. At least not in Texas or most of the Southwest. Menudo is part of any taqueria in the US.

Sapo
12-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I always thought they were overrated. Don't know why my sister loved them so much.
Because of Ricky, most likely.

vallucorojo
12-11-2007, 09:45 AM

No. We eat it. I am just hoping the Anglo community does not pickup on it or menudo price will go up. :D

Derleth
12-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I love menudo. It has such a rich flavor, and you do get a lot for the money.

Very little humans eat creeps me out.

Ephemera
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I've only had it out of a can and my area has no large latin community so I doubt I'll get to try the real stuff at any point in the near future.

I've had freshly prepared pho before, though. It was okay.

sturmhauke
12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I would eat more menudo, but my wife hates the smell.

Doug Bowe
12-11-2007, 07:11 PM
It's an acquired taste. But once you acquire it there are times when you gotta have some.
It needs to be served piping hot so that the chopped onions and whatever else you throw in to personalize it can cook in the broth.
One reason it may appear only on weekends (besides the hangover traditiion) is because proper preparation is labor intensive. A restauraunt may not have the time to make it daily.

One clue to good menudo: while you're in the restaurant on a Sunday morning you witness a constant stream of people coming in with empty buckets and leaving with full ones.

Before going in for bariatric surgery menudo was my last meal. It seemed appropriate.

WarmNPrickly
12-11-2007, 07:47 PM
You....you cannibal!

No no! That's Canonball! Don't you remember?

Tan fuerte como Cannonball, como Cannonball
Fuerte como Cannoball, como Cannonball

I'm sorry, my sister poisoned me.

Best Topics: faint praise pentecostal girl decaf oolong tea favorite surnames casting engine blocks difficult veins post reduction bra expired peanut butter zaaz 20k review nausea before sneezing rotten peanut slippers stink kiss your sister elvira gulch trespass warrant define goat rope floyd rose lock asian trucks microwaving animals pasticiotti pronounce girl snuggling zipperhead meaning albanian swear words geometric population growth dissolve gum ted's cave katana vs rapier salt counter weight of lexan denver bronco chant stripper pants buying butane heart flatline how much do my breasts weigh calories in plain mcdonalds hamburger shelf bracket long side against wall freezing point of diet coke asian hair vs caucasian hair how to program a transponder key with only one key car door wont unlock according to his business card, what did al capone do for a living? individual salad dressing packets rules of street dice kitty is a very bad mystic original pa to fl road trip captain d's lobster roll why is a 2x4 not 2 inches by 4 inches writing macros in google sheets urine for athletes foot what happens if a cop loses his gun kitchenaid dishwasher upper rack not cleaning hardest songs to sing male how hard is it to get fired sweating a fever out can dogs see infrared farts smell like burnt rubber triangular bayonet wounds impossible to stitch how to make hot sake womens nike one piece swimsuit is mixing bleach and urine dangerous cant sleep on my back how to open car hood with broken cable joan crawford queen bee my cats farts stink where can i cash my own personal check pvc pipe leaks at joints does it hurt to bleed to death