PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove adhesive residue from skin?

norinew
03-26-2008, 07:34 AM
I doubt there's one factual answer to this, hence it's in imho instead of gq.

My doctor recently (about a month ago), my doctor put me on estrogen patches; I wear one for a week, then switch to a new one. The new one has to go in a different place (you can re-use old places, but can't use the same place two weeks in a row). After a week of wearing them, they leave a ring of adhesive residue on my skin.

I've had limited success getting this residue off with alcohol swabs. The alcohol is irritating to my skin. Soap and water seems to do no good at all. I've had some success just rubbing the ball of my fingertip over it again and again until it forms a little glue ball and I can pull it off, but again, this is irritating to my skin.

So what can I use to easily remove the residue, that won't irritate the skin?

BoBettie
03-26-2008, 07:42 AM
So what can I use to easily remove the residue, that won't irritate the skin?

Did you try some mineral/baby oil? That's always worked for me. Just a bit on a cotton ball; dab it on and let it sit a few minutes, then rub it off gently.

Harmonious Discord
03-26-2008, 07:48 AM
I used patches for a year, not estrogen, and I never came up with a way to remove the adhesive that wasn't irritating. Two weeks after the patch was moved some adhesive was still present, unless you finally rubbed it off. I'll be watching if anybody does have a non-irritating way to remove the adhesive. Even though the adhesive is hard to get off your skin the patches fell off days early, until I started putting them under the elastic band in my underwear. The patch falls off, but the glue sticks to you, that's messed up.

Joey P
03-26-2008, 07:48 AM
If you're having that much trouble I would try lighter fluid, goo gone, nail polish remover, WD-40 or Gasoline. I supose if none of those work, you could take a match to it while it's still damp with one of them.

As I reread what I wrote, I suppose I would start with nail polish remover, then go to lighter fluid. But I'll bet either one of them will work without leaving much smell.

Napier
03-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Many bandage adhesives are a solution of rubber in a nonpolar oil. Some kinder and less aggressive solvents that are pretty nonpolar include mineral oil, vegetable oil, petrolatum (for example "Vaseline"), and peanut butter. If you want a more aggressive nonpolar solvent you could try hexane (they sell this, or at least used to sell it, as Carter's Rubber Cement Thinner). I think toluene and xylene also work, though I'm not sure how nonpolar they are. Goof-Off is, I think, one or both of these. You can also buy toluene at Home Depot by the quart. It's street name is "tolly", if that helps.

Water and alcohol and acetone are all pretty polar and probably wouldn't work so well. But, adhesives vary, and so may your mileage.

Joey P
03-26-2008, 08:00 AM
I beleive goof off is xylene and goo gone is naptha. Either would work I would guess.

Ale
03-26-2008, 08:03 AM
As I reread what I wrote, I suppose I would start with nail polish remover, then go to lighter fluid. But I'll bet either one of them will work without leaving much smell.

Carefull with that thing, can be bad.
In my case if my skin touches acetone (nail polish removers AFAIK are mostly that) in just minutes my epidermis peels off, like in, instablister and detachment. So you may want to make a small test before swabing yourself with it.

Sophistry and Illusion
03-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Also, I have seen in hospitals adhesive removal wipes (look just like alcohol wipes). I googled medical adhesive remover and got a lot of results. These are no doubt designed to be minimally irritating.

Harmonious Discord
03-26-2008, 08:30 AM
The thing is those solvents irritate the all ready sensitive skin too much. The area is sore where the patch was, and it's almost like a rug burn. Something that soothes a rash and gets rid of the adhesive is what is needed and why this is a hard task.

Solfy
03-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Baby oil, as mentioned up thread, should do the trick with minimal irritation.
The skin irritation may be mostly due to the patch itself. It's no easy trick to deliver medicine transdermally, as skin is designed to keep things out. I have sensitive skin and had to give up on the birth control patch for this reason.
Good luck!

yoyodyne
03-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Also, I have seen in hospitals adhesive removal wipes (look just like alcohol wipes). I googled medical adhesive remover and got a lot of results. These are no doubt designed to be minimally irritating.Those wipes use the same citrus and petroleum based solvent as Goo Gone.

norinew
03-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Well, there are some good tips here. I knew I could count on you guys! I think I'll start by trying first mineral oil, followed by vegetable oil (if the mineral oil doesn't work). These are where I'll start because I happen to already have both in my house.

I just put a new patch on this morning, but still have residue from last week's patch, and from the week before that! :eek:

supergoose
03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm on IV antibiotics and have a lovely sticky plastic patch on my arm, and the home care nurse told me that it's counter-intuitive, but just plain gauze removes stickiness. I've never tried it, though, so I can't vouch for its efficacy. And she might also have just been talking about the particular kind of patch I have, which is why I mention it.

MadPansy64
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Those premoistened disposable face cloths work great for removing the adhesive from my hysterically over-sensitive skin. Olay Daily Facial is one brand, and there are several more in the skin care aisle at Target & Walmart. I like the kind in the bright green package.

Baby oil works, as does rubbing alcohol, if you don't hate those smells or have a cat who eats cotton balls.

A former coworker claimed Stridex pads are best at removing the gunk left by nicotine patches, but Noxema acne pads are useless. YMMV. ;)

Ghanima
03-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I used to be on the patch, I used almond oil to get the excess residue off my skin. I have very sensitive skin and it worked very well for me. I imagine baby oil would work just as well.

WhyNot
03-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Baby wipes. There's just enough oil in there to get the job done, just barely abrasive enough to scrub effectively, but very gentle, and often with skin soothing stuff in them already.

JThunder
03-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Have you tried fire?

Syntropy
03-26-2008, 01:12 PM
The thing is those solvents irritate the already sensitive skin too much. The area is sore where the patch was, and it's almost like a rug burn. Something that soothes a rash and gets rid of the adhesive is what is needed and why this is a hard task.
Normally, I use acetone wipes or witch hazel to remove the adhesive from a patient's skin, but if they're both too irritating (witch hazel shouldn't be, but if you have very sensitive skin, it may dry it out), you may want to try using Dove body wash in the shower.

Napier
03-26-2008, 01:21 PM
>Baby oil, as mentioned up thread, should do the trick with minimal irritation.

Yes, take Solfy's advice.

I'm pretty sure acetone shouldn't even work very well, as it is much more polar than the oils in most medical bandages. Anybody here having better luck with acetone than mineral oil? And, what are "acetone wipes"? Are they like alcohol wipes? Where do you get them?

Syntropy
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Like that, yes. I get them from the second shelf of the supply closet. :p You should be able to get them at Longs/Walgreen's/Rite Aid, etc.

norinew
03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
>And, what are "acetone wipes"? Are they like alcohol wipes? Where do you get them?
If you look in the drug store with the nail polish remover (right next to the nail polish, as any mother of a teenage girl knows. . .duh!), you'll find nail polish remover wipes; individually packaged. Some are non-acetone (for use with artificial fingernails) some are acetone. I wouldn't be surprised if hardware stores carried them, re-packaged in some way, too. But I know I could find them in the drug store.

I think I'll try mineral oil first, since I have it on hand. Then move to baby wipes if that doesn't work.

Hmmmm. I wonder if the moist flushable bathroom wipes might work, too? I've got those. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Napier
03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
>If you look in the drug store with the nail polish remover...individually packaged. Some ... are acetone.

Well, how splendid! I have to have some! Thanks!

>as any mother of a teenage girl knows. . .duh!

You realize how odd it sounds to me that you know about getting these things in a drugstore and don't know whether and how hardware stores sell them. How differently the other half works, eh?

Sophistry and Illusion
03-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Those wipes use the same citrus and petroleum based solvent as Goo Gone.
Well then. So much for my suggestion. Goo Gone would at least be cheaper, probably.

norinew
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
You realize how odd it sounds to me that you know about getting these things in a drugstore and don't know whether and how hardware stores sell them. How differently the other half works, eh?
Indeed! Viva la difference! :cool:

romansperson
03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
My favorite adhesive removal stuff evar:

Detachol (http://metromedicalonline.com/04170a.html)

Smells nice, completely non-irritating and it WORKS. I use it mainly to remove bandages from my dogs, who have very thin skin that tears easily. I dribble some on the adhesive and it zips right off. Paraffin is the main active ingredient, IIRC.

You should be able to get it at a drugstore that sells ostomy supplies. It won't cost as much as it says on that site either. I think the last time I got some it was about $5 a bottle, and you won't need much for your purposes.

Elendil's Heir
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd also say naptha/spot remover, which in moderation isn't irritating to the skin.

Will Repair
03-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Acetone is easily obtained a one of the big box hardware stores. Also good for removing oil, grease, paint, etc. It was the hand cleaner of choice at the glue factory.

lizardling
03-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I wish I'd known about this after I got out of having a 24 hour Holter monitor test done -- I had perfectly round rashes on my torso for a while. :mad: :(

Mama Zappa
03-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Have you tried fire?
Don't be ridiculous.

Fire could burn down the whole house and *then* where would she be?

Sandpaper is a much better choice.

Yes, it too could destroy the whole house but you'd have to really work HARD and most people would give up before they'd reduced the place to a pile of wood shavings and dust. ;)

I actually came in here to suggest peanut butter - doesn't run like mineral oil would.

LouisB
03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Ether.

norinew
03-27-2008, 06:53 PM
I actually came in here to suggest peanut butter - doesn't run like mineral oil would.
Well, now you're just being silly. I would never waste perfectly good peanut butter on such a thing; I'd rather live with the residue! ;)

Anyway, mineral oil doesn't run if you put it on a cotton ball!

Patty O'Furniture
03-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Noxema works just as well as mineral oil. I use it to remove the sticky residue that price tags leave on glassware.

Joey P
03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Sandpaper is a much better choice.
Nah, waste of resources. You don't really need that paper backing, try sandblasting.

norinew
03-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Nah, waste of resources. You don't really need that paper backing, try sandblasting.
Wow, I don't have much of an ass now. If I sandblasted it every week, 'twouldn't take long to disappear altogether. . .

lindy13
12-14-2013, 11:46 AM
To remove adhesive residue from your skin, those sticky rings, or squares :rolleyes:
I use morroccan argan oil, which I spray on my hair, maybe any oil will do the trick but this is what I used. :)

Sattua
12-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Zombie threads are particularly poignant when the OP isn't with us anymore.

TracyPori
07-03-2015, 09:32 PM
After reading this thread and lindy13.s post I decided to try my John Frieda Frizz-Ease 100% shine spray on some cotton balls...MIRACLE! I have been wearing a heart monitor for several days and moving it around because it is so irritating. This stuff cleaned the gunk right off!

Elendil's Heir
07-04-2015, 12:57 AM
Ether.

Ether this or that.

Best Topics: grass calories adhesive duck deficiency kamel red cigarettes step on foot skank etymology clippy must die spooks black ally bank wiki cheetah lion hybrid marines gunnery sgt uncut books splint armour razorwire tattoo planetside 2 esrb brown bunny netflix bluing laundry male mental orgasm microwaving animals surgical tubing walgreens correctol ingredients re torquing tires laying pipe joe cleko 435 representatives seth amos fenced in yards saloon pianist aggressive cuddling bob vila meme successful communist countries finding forrester bmw parboil tomatoes quixotic pronounce kitten stinky poop how to remove a screen window green eyed black people how to set timezone on atomic clock tv makes a buzzing sound what does ping me mean waking up with a song in your head 2004 ford freestar rear brakes auto pay bank of america self defrosting ice cream scoop when i burp my ear flutters is it illegal to drive with the interior lights on swag secretly we are gay sex in a church how much money is in an atm machine does a bikini wax hurt donnie and marie incest what does a navy officer do how to pronounce biopic how to ping on iphone how to unlock a car with a dead battery free yahoo message board rubber t molding home depot it's not my circus they're not my monkeys can you freeze popcorn to each according to his needs meaning didnt need no welfare state what is a well qualified buyer new car dragon egg cookie clicker get high on oxygen why is an mri so loud touch lamp light bulb the sound a goat makes can girls get head