PDA

View Full Version : The cleverest tribute band/cover band names

Askance
04-22-2008, 01:22 AM
I have soft spots for The Strolling Bones, Björn Again, and Anderson Council but my all-time favourite has to be Clearance Creedwater Arrival. Yours?

Manatee
04-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Lez Zeppelin, the all-lesbian Zep cover band.

Argent Towers
04-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Soviet Russia, that band that covers America songs.

They hand their instruments to the audience and make THEM play.

Darryl Lict
04-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Well. I don't know about the cleverness of their names, but these are my two favorite AC/DC cover bands.

Hayseed Dixie. Bluegrass AC/DC cover band.

Hell's Belles. All-female AC/DC cover band. The lead guitarist wears a Catholic school girl uniform.

Mosier
04-22-2008, 02:23 AM
An all-girl band calls itself "Lez Zeppelin"

Indistinguishable
04-22-2008, 02:25 AM
I was just thinking that "Even Better Than the Real Thing" would be a perfect name for a U2 tribute band when I happened to click onto Cafe Society and see this thread topic at the top.

(So far as I can tell, no one's done it, though.)

Charlie Tan
04-22-2008, 02:41 AM
I'm particular to "the Mexican Elvis": El Vez (http://elvez.net/evFrameset.html). Dunno if he's any good though.

China Guy
04-22-2008, 02:52 AM
dread zeppelin - zep songs to reggae beat and sung by an elvis impersonator.

ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness
04-22-2008, 03:53 AM
Hell's Belles. All-female AC/DC cover band. The lead guitarist wears a Catholic school girl uniform.
Similarly, there's AC/DShe, also an all-female cover band.
I also like Cheap Chick, the all-female Cheap Trick cover band.

si_blakely
04-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Some uni friends and I performed a few Dire Straits covers.

We wanted a name that reflected a sense of difficulty or trouble, single syllables, and used D and S.

We called ourselvesDeep Shit

Si

Chez Guevara
04-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Anal Gestapo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_Gestapo).

Not clever as such but surely worth a mention.

Ichbin Dubist
04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Not a band name, but I get a chuckle out of this CD of Led Zep covers, The Song Retains the Name. (http://amazon.com/Song-Retains-Name-Various-Artists/dp/B000001XVK)

I'm No Saint
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Scrantonicity.

KneadToKnow
04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I think the Fleetwood Mac tribute band using the name Crystal Visions is clever, mainly because I thought the name up independently for a story I wrote and now will have to change it before I can publish. Bastards. :)

singular1
04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Well, I'll admit to being out of touch. What is Anderson Council a clever cover for?

Beadalin
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Cover Girl was a band my friend formed -- all men, who only covered songs sung by women.

Flander
04-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a Jimmy Buffet cover band called Lost Shaker Assault.

MadTheSwine
04-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, I'll admit to being out of touch. What is Anderson Council a clever cover for?

Pink Floyd was named after 2 men named Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

MadTheSwine
04-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Couple Queen cover bands-

Flash Harry.

We are not Queen.

MerQury.

mike ahndembroak
04-22-2008, 03:33 PM
The google ad at the bottom of the thread is UNDO CIRCUMCISION DAMAGE. sounds like a great name for a Revolting Cocks tribute band

pinkfreud
04-22-2008, 03:38 PM
The band GABBA (http://gabba.co.uk/) plays ABBA songs in the style of The Ramones.

ShibbOleth
04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
The band GABBA (http://gabba.co.uk/) plays ABBA songs in the style of The Ramones.

Pink Freud would be a good coverband name, especially if manned by all pyschiatrist (or psych grad students).

Ditto "Forever Jung" as a Rod Stewart tribute band.

Ludovic
04-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Some uni friends and I performed a few Dire Straits covers.

We wanted a name that reflected a sense of difficulty or trouble, single syllables, and used D and S.

We called ourselvesDeep Shit

SiThat reminds me of my favorite Doors cover band,
Crystal Shit
[/bitchin' camaro]

feppytweed
04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Anal Gestapo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_Gestapo).

Not clever as such but surely worth a mention.

For some reason, my mind tried to read that as Anal Gazpacho. :eek:

Beware of Doug
04-22-2008, 04:31 PM
I was part of a saxophone sextet that played the music of the once popular Six Brown Brothers (http://hungrytigerpress.com/audio/sixbros_cd.shtml), called (of course) the Six Brown Others.

jsc1953
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Obligatory Simpsons reference: the marquee in Las Vegas for Moody Blues cover band "The Satin Knights", featuring as an opening act...The Moody Blues.

MadTheSwine
04-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Shania Twin

Led Zepagain

Chanteuse
04-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Hayseed Dixie. Bluegrass AC/DC cover band.

Came in here to mention this one. I didn't "get" the name until I said it aloud--then I had a good laugh.

Gotta say that it's really something to hear "Big Balls" sung in bluegrass style! :D

River Hippie
04-22-2008, 05:28 PM
NPR had a story today about a Stones cover band called "Sticky Fingers". I think they mentioned a band called "Dixie Chicklets".

/was kinda half-listening at work.

blondebear
04-22-2008, 08:03 PM
The Wholigans

Askance
04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Pink Freud would be a good coverband nameThere IS one called Pink Fraud. But I still think Anderson Council is the Pict of the crop.

Best Topics: ancient aliens bullshit cannon rifle proper pool rack airplane nudity playboy hardcore sneezing fit mairzy doats song does gasoline evaporate circlejerk meaning kirk green uniform rolex refurbishing nails curving inward brunching shuttlecock renaissance steampunk jews ear juice injectable sedatives greek toes define brer fucking a meaning jebus simpsons drunk off mouthwash computer sex games funny bet wagers saditty definition cunt cap best racquetball goggles blvd stand for higgledy piggledy poem holly blue berries average casket weight .be domain meaning of toss my salad does rubbing alcohol kill bugs fat guy from blade 800 mg motrin over the counter how many pixels is a 8.5 x 11 page no water in bathroom does jim morrison have a child h alvorix rs880 uatx the objective movie ending explanation how to seal leaky pvc joint why do police wear balaclavas difference between milkshake and frappe half my christmas lights are out size of soda bottles spot free rinse car wash gutters or no gutters us or us grammar you stab em we slab em pepto bismol interactions with other drugs harry's vs dollar shave club quality david bowie china girl meaning how long does disney store take to ship is fancy feast grain free how to pronounce cuchulainn alcoholic drinks for those who don't like alcohol us office of personnel management card on my door two dead boys got up to fight touch screen laptop games *82 what does it do pay to the order of stamps east african facial features foot of the bed chest why does a tetanus shot hurt after how does the cue ball return barnes and noble standard shipping