PDA

View Full Version : Am I giving my cats the horny when I do this?

Yorikke
04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I have three cats - two females and a male. The females each have a "sweet spot" on their back, right at the base of their tails. If I scratch them there, they go nuts. They start licking the air like they're insane and moving their heads back and forth. Trudy sometimes will do a move where she bites without using her teeth - she'll put her mouth against my hand, or the floor, or whatever, and start gnawing without actually spreading her teeth, so there's no pain or blood, just pseudo-biting.

Butch, our male, has no such sweet spot.

It freaks my wife out, she's afraid I'm molesting our cats when I do this - not seriously afraid, but it makes her squicky.

Anyone else experience this?

Joe

Zsofia
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Both of my males do that. (Well, all three - my boyfriend kind of does too.) I've always kind of wondered if it's inappropriate touching. The orange one yowls, too. We decided he's saying "You're touching my butt!" They seem to enjoy it, though, so until Cat Welfare knocks on the door we're not going to worry about it.

Dunderman
04-22-2008, 09:48 AM
No cite, but I've been told that this is a good way to make female cats in heat less horny. Grab the neck, hold her down, and rub the sweet spot. She'll think she got shagged good and bother you less for a while.

So, yeah, it's a sex thing.

Verminary
04-22-2008, 10:02 AM
I don't think it's a sex thing, as I have had both male and female cats react this way. My vet told me this was a reflex and some cats are more sensitive to it than others, similar to how many dogs have a "scratch reflex" when you hit a certain spot on their bellies.

Paul in Qatar
04-22-2008, 10:12 AM
My parrot has a sweet spot there. That is where the preen gland is. Do any mammals got preen glands?

Anyone? Buehler?

Verminary
04-22-2008, 10:15 AM
And, having missed the edit window, I submit to you the skin-spinal reflex phenomenon (http://vomtech.com/CHIRO-CAT.htm). I'm not sure what to think about veterinary chiropractic care, but there you go. Further searches suggest that in some cases it may be related to Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_Hyperesthesia_Syndrome), too.

Yorikke
04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys!

Joe

Beadalin
04-22-2008, 11:38 AM
My neutered male cat does that, too. Of course, we've always suspected that he's a little gay.

TroubleAgain
04-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Molly goes freaky-crazy for that. The boys, not so much.

emmaliminal
04-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Elderly neutered cat: does teh crazy, always has.
Sibling two-year olds, one girl, one boy: "meh"

BrainGlutton
04-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Could be worse. (http://galactanet.com/comic/view.php?strip=295)

Yllaria
04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
I am NOT going to click on something labeled 'could be worse'.

My two boy kitties, neutered, like to be scratched there. They'll turn and lick my arm, or at least rub against it. I always thought it was a hard place for them to reach, themselves, and that they liked to have it 'groomed'.

I'm having trouble seeing it as sexual, just because I can't picture it as a place that either cat could reach while mating. Maybe my mechanics are off.

Silver Tyger
04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
I am NOT going to click on something labeled 'could be worse'.

It's clean. It's a comic strip, rated probably G.

One of our cats (female) really really reacts to it. In fact, that is about the only spot she likes to be scratched. I won't do it. Our other three cats (one male, two female) don't care.

I've heard it called 'elevator butt'

Zsofia
04-22-2008, 09:09 PM
It's clean. It's a comic strip, rated probably G.

One of our cats (female) really really reacts to it. In fact, that is about the only spot she likes to be scratched. I won't do it. Our other three cats (one male, two female) don't care.

Heh, yeah, there's a certain posture associated with it.

I'm touching Eddles' butt right now, and he's making the "you're touching my butt!" noise, and also purring so loud I'm surprised you can't hear it from where you are. I feel a little used, but I don't mind.

MadPansy64
04-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I've had one cat in my life (Big Kitty, Little Kitty, Figaro, Snicklefritz, Munchkin, Pooka, Mandu, Peepers, Frank, Sunshine, Panic, MonsterKitty, Bat, Bugeyes, Rasputin, and Incerta, 9 males, 7 females) who didn't have a Butt Button, and she fell in madly, passionately, thoroughly and publicly inappropriate lust with my fuzzy, green "Grinch who Stole Christmas" slippers.

Cats is weird. :D

Harmonious Discord
04-23-2008, 05:15 AM
I take it as if they react like it's an orgasm, it's close enough to to say it's an orgasm. Your getting the cat off.

psychonaut
04-23-2008, 06:29 AM
There was a previous thread on this which was titled, I believe, "Elevator butt". Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be showing up with the search tool.

BooBoo316
04-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Could be much worse. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hiVyueMFyqU)

Warning: link has sound, but is otherwise SFW.

Rhythmdvl
04-23-2008, 10:35 AM

The Dvl household prefers the term "ass switch." (Coined, I believe, by the great 20th century philosopher George Carlin.)

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
My neutered male cat does that, too. Of course, we've always suspected that he's a little gay.

Two of our neutered males do this, and another one always raises his butt as high as he can as if he wants us to scratch under his tail as well. Like that's going to happen.

I didn't think it was sexual. I thought it was an infantile instinct and that they were reacting as if they were kittens and the mother was grooming them back there. Our cats do a lot of social grooming among each other, but I've never seen one groom another just above the tail.

Cervaise
04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Butch, our male, has no such sweet spot.Not necessarily. Tybalt, my neutered male, really really likes it when I rub his empty nutsack.

Um, unless that's, y'know, over-sharing.

Gary Robson
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Cervaise, that's a little more than I needed to know...

I am NOT going to click on something labeled 'could be worse'.This drives me nuts. People respond to a message with something like "No (http://endoftheinternet.com/)" or "See here (http://endoftheinternet.com/)," instead of just giving a few words of description about the link. I hate clicking on one of these, waiting for the linked page to appear, only to discover it's not interesting to me, or not relevant to the discussion, or the same link someone else gave upthread, or not safe for work, or whatever.

People, please just tell us what you're linking to!

Yorikke
04-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Not necessarily. Tybalt, my neutered male, really really likes it when I rub his empty nutsack.

All right, thanks for sharing!

*shudder*

Joe

Askance
04-24-2008, 01:09 AM
... his empty nutsack.You know you can fix that (neuticles.com), right?

Aioua
04-24-2008, 01:29 AM
You know you can fix that (neuticles.com), right?

Oh, god. Why can't I be the guy charging $100+ for 2 cents' worth of plastic?

Wait, maybe I'll get some rocks, throw them in nice little boxes... um... no I lost it.

panache45
04-24-2008, 02:38 AM
My former cats, neutered males, both did it. And they were more than a little gay. In fact, one was a top and the other was a bottom.

Quint
04-24-2008, 08:42 AM
OK here's your TMI story for the day. You've been warned.
I once lived with a room-mate who had a neutered male cat. A buddy of mine was this cat's love god. If he took off his sweater the cat would roll around in it, particularly the area around the armpits. Not sure if this information is germane to the story, anyway, here goes...
My buddy is scratching the cat's "sweet spot" and kitty is really lovin' it. Going quite crazy with the purring and the yowling. Finally the cat shudders, and "gunk" shoots out of it's butt. Not the poop-chute mind you, but two little holes on either side of the "cat's ass". It was like a couple of little corks shot out, followed by some crazy stinky gunk. So, as far as I can tell, this is clearly a sexual thing for cats, and to this day (probably 15 years down the road) I get very nervous and uncomfortable when I see someone touching a cat in its' "sweet spot" or "bikini area" or whatever you want to call the kitty gunk-cannon trigger. Bleeechh!

essell
04-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Don't cat's have scent glands in almost exactly the area we're talking about?
That would seem to correspond to Quint's story.

If so it's not really any different to rubbing them under the chin, which cat's also enjoy, in my experience.

Although the "thanks for scratching there, I couldn't get to it" theory makes sense in a lot of animals. My bunnies love having the tops of their heads scratched where they can't lick. Or having their ears cleaned by another bunny in the parts only another bunny will go.

Troy McClure SF
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Never noticed it in cats, but all the dogs I've had, and most otherwise encounter have a similar reaction, to varying degrees. The OP could be written about my last dog.

Dr. Woo
04-24-2008, 04:39 PM
I've heard it called 'elevator butt' When my girl beagle does this, we call it "sky twinkie". When my boy beagle does it, I find it both funny and disturbing, somewhat like the OP. I keep wondering if I'm doing some kind of inter-species heavy petting. Heh.

wheelie
04-24-2008, 05:41 PM
My fixed female cat at work just loves her some butt rubs.

My former cats, neutered males, both did it. And they were more than a little gay. In fact, one was a top and the other was a bottom.
I always thought there was something different about Top Cat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Cat). :D

Cluricaun
04-24-2008, 06:58 PM
You know you can fix that (neuticles.com), right?

Is there anything ethically wrong with buying monster Great Dane sized fake dog nuts for a little neutered minature pincher?

hotflungwok
04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
That is so very wrong. And funny.

Cats respond all kinds of ways (http://youtube.com/watch?v=rjci95ZA6_w)to the sweet spot.

Ignatz
04-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Not necessarily. Tybalt, my neutered male, really really likes it when I rub his empty nutsack.

Um, unless that's, y'know, over-sharing.

Two doper dudes were walking down the street and saw a male dog lying on the ground licking his genitals.

Dude 1 says, "Gee, I wish I could do that!"

Dude 2 says, "He'd probably bite you!"

Swallowed My Cellphone
04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Warning: link has sound, but is otherwise SFW.Squiggy loves a good beating too. Weirdo.

Swallowed My Cellphone
04-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Never noticed it in cats, but all the dogs I've had, and most otherwise encounter have a similar reaction, to varying degrees. The OP could be written about my last dog.I've also noticed it in ginea pigs. I asked Squiggy's vet who just shrugged and said there are a lot of nerves down there and they're rarely flexible enough to reach in on their own.

Best Topics: hair trapped masturbate your dog gillespie pouches domesticating bears jarred olives honda pax system toilet clogs often cough switch cheesecake without springform discworld carrot simpsons checks struts leaking kfc honey repair rolex ejaculation after castration literary forensics blue tinted headlights leonardo buonarroti simoni standard deadbolt size old copiers cornmeal ants myth cassandra troy poppy pods ebay bipolar military guero in english sakrete vs quikrete corrupt soul catan expansion numbers paul baxley inside flush eggs danny thomas how much would it cost to build a bowling alley dum da dum dum dum commercial is powerade acidic or basic i only get 2 hours of sleep a night does spelling count as grammar dairy queen krunch kote can you sneeze in a coma dimmer switch on ceiling fan games where you summon monsters red green show quotes how to build a sex chair say gay in spanish how long do car alarms last forging signature on tax return what happens if you give the right address but wrong zip code do hot pockets go bad if left out if i encircle my wrist with my other hand's middle finger and thumb where to buy boric acid powder main water shut off valve not working cashing a check without id can drano be used in toilets did andy and helen get married fire extinguisher service cost my nose is so dry it hurts inside best rotors and brake pads roller bearing vs ball bearing why is cheesecake called cake mini moos shelf life blood can be used as an egg substitute house hunters international majorca how to put on a hair tie inside of car smells like skunk