PDA

View Full Version : What happens to amputated body parts?

The Weird One
07-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone yesterday, and she raised the question of what happens to body parts that are surgically removed. I have no idea how medical waste is disposed of. Any help? My best guess is incineration; my friend is betting on dog food. :)

USCDiver
07-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Incineration

CalMeacham
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
A bizarre thought occurred to me the other day, and this thread is the perfect place for it.

If someone underwent a hemicorporectomy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemicorporectomy ), then that person could literally be Handed His/Her Own Ass On A Platter.

Projammer
07-17-2008, 12:13 PM
No cite, but I recall a story where an instructor kept his heart in a jar after his transplant. Used it in his class.

Duckster
07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
No cite, but I recall a story where an instructor kept his heart in a jar after his transplant. Used it in his class. At least he couldn't be accused of being a heartless old fool.

An Arky
07-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Vienna sausages.

Stranger On A Train
07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Chef Boyardee.

Stranger

Gfactor
07-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Q What happens to amputated limbs?

A After the limb is amputated, it is taken to the hospital's pathology lab. It is kept in a freezer there until it is collected for cremation and proper disposal, according to pathologist assistant Kristin Giesen at Hennepin County Medical Center. Patients can also choose to have the limb sent to a funeral home for cremation or burial. Hospitals can only release body parts to a funeral home. http://startribune.com/lifestyle/homegarden/11311216.html

vetbridge
07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Veterinary version: depends on local laws.

My advice: avoid dumpster diving at your local veterinary hospital.

Antigen
07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
After it goes through the histopathology lab, where pieces will be removed for sectioning and staining, the rest is just incinerated as medical waste. Trust me, I've been there. I've sectioned tonsils and placentas and intestines. And then some. Once we get the parts we need for the pathologist to analyze, the rest is stored in a little container of formalin until we dispose of it. Hospitals have different rules about how long you keep the specimen, in case the pathologist wants to see something else, but they're not kept forever.

I'm sure there are some cases in which the amputated limb or removed organ could be used as a teaching tool, or preserved for a museum, presuming that the original "owner" of the part has consented.

Antigen (MT)

The Weird One
07-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Cool, thanks for the help, everyone!

Lisa Ann
07-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Veterinary version: depends on local laws.

My advice: avoid dumpster diving at your local veterinary hospital.

Eww?

Please share. :)

vetbridge
07-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Eww?

Please share. :)
Nothing too exciting. I use a cremation company for whole pets, but assorted tumors/body parts are trashed. One day my dog got into that day's surgical waste; it was around 12 uteruses (uteri?) and maybe 20 testicles (ten pair). She gulped the snack down. There was enough ketamine, tilletamine, zolazepam, etc in her snack to make her wobbly for the remainder of the day. :)

The Weird One
07-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Nothing too exciting. I use a cremation company for whole pets, but assorted tumors/body parts are trashed. One day my dog got into that day's surgical waste; it was around 12 uteruses (uteri?) and maybe 20 testicles (ten pair). She gulped the snack down. There was enough ketamine, tilletamine, zolazepam, etc in her snack to make her wobbly for the remainder of the day. :)
I'm caught in this weird place between laughing and gagging. Thank you (I think).

Cervaise
07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
There was enough ketamine, tilletamine, zolazepam, etc in her snack to make her wobbly for the remainder of the day.You realize you may have issued an inadvertent invitation to some unsavory types, right?

"Dude! Don't bogart the dog uteruses!"

Mangetout
07-17-2008, 04:24 PM
http://startribune.com/lifestyle/homegarden/11311216.html

Patients can also choose to have the limb sent to a funeral home for cremation or burial
Wow, that's just - weird. Well, the burial bit is weird.

Can anyone flesh out (ahahaha) what that means in practice? Do they put the amputated foot in a little foot-shaped coffin and bury it? Do they wait until they've got a standard-sized coffin full of parts and bury them all en masse? Do they bother with a casket at all?

07-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Wow, that's just - weird. Well, the burial bit is weird.

Can anyone flesh out (ahahaha) what that means in practice? Do they put the amputated foot in a little foot-shaped coffin and bury it? Do they wait until they've got a standard-sized coffin full of parts and bury them all en masse? Do they bother with a casket at all?Some religions (strict orthodox Jews, for one example) believe all parts of the body must be buried together. (Thus the volunteers in Israel who use paper towels to soak up all the blood on the street after a bombing, so that it can be buried along with the body.)

As I understand it, the body part is either buried on it's own in the cemetery plot where that person will eventually be buried, or kept until the person dies, and then is buried with them.

Gfactor
07-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Here's a chart of state regulations for disposal of medical waste: http://noharm.org/details.cfm?type=document&id=765

Elendil's Heir
07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Two Civil War stories. Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's arm, amputated eight days before his death from battlefield wounds, was buried in a different place from him. And Gen. Dan Sickles visited the displayed bones of his amputated leg at an Army medical museum for many years.

An Gadaí
07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
I'll tell you a true story.

My uncle was in a near-fatal car crash in 1992. Part of his leg got smushed for want of a precise medical term. His foot and part of his leg was intact but above that up to just below the knee was mince. They amputated below the knee. It was my father's task to drive the leg to their home place and get it buried in my uncle's future burial plot. This would have been a bizarre thing to be doing at the best of times but in 1992 Northern Ireland my dad had every chance of being stopped at a British Army checkpoint and would have had fun explaining to Lieutenant Chomondley why he had a bag containing a severed foot. Fortunately he didn't come across any checkpoints. My uncle has one foot in the grave to this day.

pinkfreud
07-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Many years ago I had my colon removed. I asked the surgeon what would happen to it, and he said "Part of it goes to the pathologist, and the rest of it is incinerated. Or, occasionally, is disposed of in other ways. Don't ever eat the meatloaf in the hospital cafeteria." I love a surgeon who has a sense of humor.

ElvisL1ves
07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Some religions (strict orthodox Jews, for one example) believe all parts of the body must be buried together. Reminds me of the scene in "The Last Emperor" where the eunuchs being expelled from the palace were carrying little boxes with them - "so they could be buried as whole men".

Best Topics: glow up meaning indignant cat hardcore pawn scripted loop group lifestyle polygraph question zigzag candy bar doctor masturbated me bricks with holes target bamboo sheets chugging syrup drowning painful no ground torpedo fireworks gay experimenting brown lettuce mork froze fonzie hiragana ri free adderall prescription homologous protein devil's pool death weenus wiki campuses or campi led zeppelin signs anbesol penis magic dabba snowflakes in hell rich parnell leech teeth removal tcb respect huma abedin swimsuit tylenol substitute pepper hart iafd foot bed chest lotte japanese bachelor in spanish jobs funny answers to what's up gas grill vs pellet grill is tobacco a natural laxative inside a tank when hit what weed smells like skunk roll around in money baltimore to boston drive february 1865 no full moon white collar and cuffs ice cream truck song piano what is a high jury duty number where can i buy codeine cough syrup do male cows give milk jim reeves death photo car won t go into park buy old uhaul trailers quickest way to melt ice purpose of blood test for marriage jimmy rig or jerry rig why do cats use a litter box asian person with blue eyes salt shaker two holes or three are massage parlors illegal can you send a paypal invoice to someone without paypal oodalolly oodalolly golly what a day i take birth control and my period is late why do mountains have snow on top what do wizards wear under their robes oil additives for valve seals bone spur in shoulder surgery removal why can't i get an internship what to do about neighbors aggressive dog