PDA

View Full Version : "Netted Pork Roast"

Jake
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Quick question: Do I take off the netting before or after roasting?
(Obviously I'm not really into cooking!)
Thanks

Ukulele Ike
09-14-2008, 12:37 PM
After.

Diogenes the Cynic
09-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Not much to add to Ike's answer here, but as a bit of explanation, the net holds it together while it's cooking. If you take it off before you cook it, it will fall apart.

If you're doing something pulled or shredded then it doesn't matter, though.

Ukulele Ike
09-14-2008, 01:05 PM
And if if falls apart, it will cook faster than you expected it to, and you'll end up with a dry piece of meat at best, a burned and shriveled cinder at worst.

I'm going to be roasting a netted pork shoulder later today -- I'm leaving the net on and cooking it in the oven for several hours at 225 degrees, then finishing it on a smoky grill for the last hour. For pulled-pork barbecue.

Doing it on the grill for the whole period would be a better method, but ovening it for most of the cooking time makes for less fussing with coals and hickory chunks. The meat takes on a lot of smoke flavor in that one hour.

Jake
09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
And if if falls apart, it will cook faster than you expected it to, and you'll end up with a dry piece of meat at best, a burned and shriveled cinder at worst.

I'm going to be roasting a netted pork shoulder later today -- I'm leaving the net on and cooking it in the oven for several hours at 225 degrees, then finishing it on a smoky grill for the last hour. For pulled-pork barbecue.

Doing it on the grill for the whole period would be a better method, but ovening it for most of the cooking time makes for less fussing with coals and hickory chunks. The meat takes on a lot of smoke flavor in that one hour.

MMMMM... Sounds great Ike! Unfortunately I have to use oven only. I'm cooking it at 325 until 160 degree internal temperature is reached. Would cooking it at a lower temp. longer make much difference?
Thanks to the rest of you for your help.

PS check out the cat urine ad below. I wonder if....... NAH! ;)

Ukulele Ike
09-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Nuthin' wrong with a nice piece of oven-roasted pork, my friend. If I may be so bold, let me recommend putting the roast into a 450 degree over for the first 10-15 minutes, then turning it down to 300 for the duration. The initial zap gives you a good crusty exterior.

Also, the roast will be done when it reaches an internal temp of 150. Going to 160 may dry things out. (See Aidells/Kelly; Complete Meat Cookbook (http://amazon.com/Complete-Meat-Cookbook-Bruce-Aidells/dp/061813512X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221416124&sr=1-2), 1998 -- they say not to go over 145-150)

Jake
09-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Nuthin' wrong with a nice piece of oven-roasted pork, my friend. If I may be so bold, let me recommend putting the roast into a 450 degree over for the first 10-15 minutes, then turning it down to 300 for the duration. The initial zap gives you a good crusty exterior.

Also, the roast will be done when it reaches an internal temp of 150. Going to 160 may dry things out. (See Aidells/Kelly; Complete Meat Cookbook (http://amazon.com/Complete-Meat-Cookbook-Bruce-Aidells/dp/061813512X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221416124&sr=1-2), 1998 -- they say not to go over 145-150)

Thanks again Ukulele Ike for the info. I've cooked it already to 160 with net and it could be a little less done. I assume the 450 degree oven is preheated to this temp. first?
(I can hear your eyes rolling clear over here!)
Jake

Lynn Bodoni
09-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Pull the netting away from the meat all over before you cook it. Or season it, for that matter. It's easier to pull the netting away from raw meat than it is to pull it out of cooked meat.

silenus
09-14-2008, 06:06 PM
The Ultimate Cheater Pulled Pork

Rub
1/4 cup paprika
2 tbls kosher salt
2 tbls coarsely ground black pepper
1 tbls garlic powder
1 tbls dry mustard
1 tsp cayenne (optional)(not really)

Preheat oven to 300. Generously rub pork with rub. Place pork roast in large roasting pan. Add 1/2 cup liquid smoke to pan. Cover with foil and cook for 5-8 hours, or until interior temperature reaches 155-160. Let rest. Pull, pile on bun, slather with sauce of choice.

Best Topics: definition ofay ronald reagan mommy gypsy con artist navy bosun biting coins microwave ziplock bag drinking straw diameter zinc carbon batteries donate televisions carbon subnitride oh nicole song anal nerve endings nitrates in beer heath vs skor thermochrome 5000 19mm = in ebay bid retraction pelzer family bloody slang whoopi goldberg jokes raccoon skeleton diagram anaphaxeton primeumaton tetragrammaton dr martens nordstrom gymnastics cameltoe sugar coated advil second identity large erections discworld pyramids pronounce folk stretchy shirt material ucsd regents scholar slaves rowing flatline ekg minecraft infiniminer stipper names pointing with thumb calories in pho broth tim conway elephant sneeze what does vhs stand for how much does it cost to euthanize a cat how to stop deodorant from ruining clothes how much gas does an idling car use per hour i voted for kodos bumper sticker guess your weight carnival game medela symphony battery pack when family members stop speaking how to purge easily and quietly enfocus dresses at ross where do turtles go in the winter time trim router vs regular router ps2 power cord specs state farm comprehensive deductible with glass how many words can a cat understand personalized license plate ideas for mercedes benz what two mammals lay eggs undercover boss best episodes best coffee liqueur brand how many bubbles in a bar of soap same mother different father aubrey maturin books in order old saloon piano music it's so hot outside jokes fuck that ass hole urine test for drugs walgreens where can i buy a cardinal bird how to give deep throat carrot allergy stomach pain k-pax ending time warner cable botnet activity ac recovery vacuum pump