PDA

View Full Version : Weird Things Your Cat Eats

Markxxx
12-03-2008, 11:48 PM
When I was young I had a cat and she would love to eat the aloe plant. Actually I should say she would plunge her "fangs" into the aloe plant and suck the juice.

But every once in awhile she'd do things like I'd be eating cake and she'd hope up in my lap and meow. So I'd give her a piece and she'd eat a bit. Which is weird 'cause she had her cat food, and I only would see her beg for raw meat when my mum would fix it.

I just wondered if anyone else had a cat that would eat things normally not associated with a cat. You know like bread or sweets

I know a dog will pretty much eat anything, well my dog would.

Antinor01
12-04-2008, 12:00 AM
My cat will eat anything I'm eating. About the oddest so far have been ; Mandarin oranges, salad, french fries with ranch dressing (after the first one, he turned his nose up at a fry without the ranch) and crackers.

PopeJewish
12-04-2008, 12:07 AM
one of my cats, Yuki, loved pancakes. I miss her. Weird little beastie.

My other cat, Taozer, brother of Yuki, likes all sorts of weird crap, goes apeshit over shrimp (kinda normal) but also over sour cream. He also loves Goldfish crackers and Cheez-its, as in will stick his head in the box and start munching away if you're not paying attention.

Markxxx
12-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Well I can see how cats would like things with milk or cheese in it. I just think it's really odd when they veggies or sweet things, 'cause I know cats can't taste sweet

Eliahna
12-04-2008, 01:01 AM
One of my cats has a fetish for sticky tape, and I have to be sure that I don't leave anything with tape on it where she can get to it or she will eat it until she throws up, then go back for more.

At this festive time of year, I'm trying to stop the other cat eating tinsel. You can tell when she's managed to slip by me and steal some because it gets stuck halfway out her butt. E And it can't be good for her insides.

dwyr
12-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I have one tabby that must have some sort of feline eating disorder. He'll eat anything that remotely resembles food including moths, salsa, crackers, bread (I can't leave any in the kitchen where he can reach it), bagels, antacid tablets, rubber bands, and packing peanuts.

My little girl cat likes cheddar cheese chex mix and, oddly enough, plain popcorn.

Upon the advice of my vet I recently started giving all the kits a spoonful of cooked pumpkin. All of them lap it right up. I thought that was sort of odd for carnivores.

CairoCarol
12-04-2008, 01:06 AM
I used to have a cat that went bonkers over Doritos. She'd come running whenever she heard the crinkle of cellophane, hoping to score a few.

panache45
12-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Many years ago I had a cat, Figaro, six years old. He was always an indoor cat, and had never been in contact with another cat. One night I brought home a tiny kitten that I had found outside. Figaro didn't know what to make of it; I'm not sure whether he realized they were the same species. But he kind of lost his mind for a while, including eating things that weren't meant to be eaten. Like an audio cassette (I said this was many years ago). He cracked open the case and ate the tape. It worked its way through his body and out the other end without breaking. It took a few days to come out, and I had to periodically cut off what was trailing behind him, usually with a poop attached to the end.

One of my current cats likes to eat rubber bands. I have to lock them up. Last night I caught her nibbling on the end of the artificial xmas tree.

bathsheba
12-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Salad, rice, corn on the cob. She steals chips but not to eat - she stuffs them into a shoe until the shoe is full.

Contrary
12-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Ahem, where are your pictures?

I discovered last Christmas season that my Chloe (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3YCUUEHcNETAZJ49KeAD9w?authkey=eDsyIf1yHtc) loves peppermint ice cream. As in she shoved her head into my bowl as I held it closer to my face to (ineffectively) stop her.

Khadaji
12-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I used to date a woman whose cat loved spaghetti - but only if I were eating it too.

Sattua
12-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Packing tape. Cellophane wrappers. Christmas bows. Christmas ribbons. Christmas trees.

(edit: artificial Christmas trees, not real ones.)

Cicero
12-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Like an audio cassette (I said this was many years ago). He cracked open the case and ate the tape. It worked its way through his body and out the other end without breaking. It took a few days to come out, and I had to periodically cut off what was trailing behind him, usually with a poop attached to the end.

Did the tape ever work again? Or was it a shit track?

BaneSidhe
12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Cleo loves donuts. I think she can smell them in the trunk of the car just as we're coming up the drive to the house.

Wile E
12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
My cat will eat anything I'm eating. About the oddest so far have been ; Mandarin oranges, salad, french fries with ranch dressing (after the first one, he turned his nose up at a fry without the ranch) and crackers.

Cats love anything with Ranch dressing. I think it's made with Catnip.

At this festive time of year, I'm trying to stop the other cat eating tinsel. You can tell when she's managed to slip by me and steal some because it gets stuck halfway out her butt. E And it can't be good for her insides.

It isn't good. Tinsel can form a linear foreign body which stretches through the intestines and every time the intestines move (which is a lot) the linear FB will act as a saw on the intestines causing multiple areas of damage and potential rupture, it also causes the intestines to bunch up and stop working. Anything long and stringy can cause a linear FB, keep them away from cats.

Ahem, where are your pictures?

I discovered last Christmas season that my Chloe (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3YCUUEHcNETAZJ49KeAD9w?authkey=eDsyIf1yHtc) loves peppermint ice cream. As in she shoved her head into my bowl as I held it closer to my face to (ineffectively) stop her.

My cat Pi likes Mint Chocolate Chip. I have to let him lick my bowl when I'm done. He also pesters me whenever I have coffee but I don't let him have any. A couple nights ago he as pestering me while I was drinking hot chocolate so I put a teeny bit on a spoon and set it down for him and he liked it and continued to pester me. Before anyone gets upset about chocolate, it was packaged hot chocolate mix and I had made it too weak. There's not enough chocolate in the whole package to be toxic, let alone in the couple of drops on the spoon. And there's no chocolate chips left in the bowl of ice cream.

Pi seems to like sweets, he's licked the syrup off the plates after we've had pancakes or waffles, too. He's got a slim Siamese body though so hopefully he won't end up fat or diabetic. He doesn't get these treats very often.

Pi (http://pics.livejournal.com/wilee_coyote/pic/00016p16/g4)

pbbth
12-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Plastic bags. What can I say, he is weird.

Minnie Luna
12-04-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a cat that loves blue corn chips.

My previous cat had a thing for bacon, can't blame her really..

Contrary
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Plastic bags. What can I say, he is weird.
Is it the one who looks like Wally (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mvvkjClWycrKqAWEU86LVQ)? Because he loves anything plastic. Also dryer sheets, which thankfully we learned when he barfed one up. I hate to think of the blockage that could have caused.

Duke
12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
My stepdaughter L has a "witch's broom" that was part of a Halloween costume. Instead of bristles, it has shiny plastic strips at its base. For reasons which exist only in his tiny brain, our cat Louie has decided these plastic strips are the most delicious candy Ceiling Cat has ever created.

TroubleAgain
12-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Spanky (RIP) ate canteloupes and tomatoes. Trouble (RIP) ate popcorn, cheerios, etc., and no loaf of bread was safe from him. Molly likes yogurt, but only off my spoon. Put it in her dish and she'll turn her nose up at it.

mlerose
12-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Petra eats bits of turkey bacon on rare occasion, stringy things (bits of yarn, etc.) and once swallowed a needle (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=247241&highlight=Petra).

Loki eats our socks, occasionally will eat the foot out of a pair of tights, likes popcorn, will jump on the counter to lick butter if it's not covered in the dish, and used to eat (TMI) used condoms. :eek: Ew!

Mrs. Cake
12-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Samurai Cat was a bread fiend. I found this out two days after bringing him home as a tiny kitten when he somehow, possibly by means of teleportation, managed to get up on the table and back off it in the second and a hlf my back was turned. I saw him trotting off to the living room with a roll in his mouth that was bigger than his body.

Not quite as odd, Nijel the Destroyer, former feral feline, still brings home mice and birds, but he keeps the best part for himself - the crunchy heads. He is an efficient killer, so the little headless corpses are entirely intact and often found in his empty food bowl. At least we stopped him from bringing the delicious heads upstairs to eat under the bed in the middle of the night.

Yorikke
12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Two of my 3 cats like to lick the flavor powder off of any chip or cracker I'm eating, but leave the chip itself - they just like the flavoring.

Joe

SharkB8
12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Why am I so amused by this thread that I'm entertaining the idea of becoming a cat person?

Mindfield
12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
One of my cats has a fetish for sticky tape, and I have to be sure that I don't leave anything with tape on it where she can get to it or she will eat it until she throws up, then go back for more.

You're not the only one. One of my cats loves licking packing tape. I have to keep my tape guns out of reach or else the I'll know she's found them by the telltale "Shhhk! Shhhk! Shhhk!" sound of her licking the sticky side. She'll try to eat it if it's hanging loose.

One of our dearly departed cats used to love licking my wife's pinky finger. Only the pinky, and only hers.

Mindfield
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Oh, the same cat that loves sticky tape also loves chewing on plastic phone antennas. We had a cordless phone that had a stubby antenna that she would gladly gnaw on if someone proffered it to her. If no one did, she'd seek it out herself. Needless to say it was usually kept out of he reach.

Mama Tiger
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
My Emily feels that it's her duty to lick out my ice cream bowls. Unless there's chocolate ice cream -- she's highly offended that I would eat chocolate ice cream.

She also used to be quite the hunter, before she became an indoor-only cat. She single-handedly cleared out all the chipmunks who lived around our place, and I've seen her leap up from the porch railing to snag a sparrow out of midair. I'm sure the wildlife population breathed a sigh of relief when she became indoor-only!

I Am The Lorax
12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
My sweet Fuzzy (bless his soul) loved apples.

pbbth
12-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Is it the one who looks like Wally (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mvvkjClWycrKqAWEU86LVQ)? Because he loves anything plastic. Also dryer sheets, which thankfully we learned when he barfed one up. I hate to think of the blockage that could have caused.

Nope, he is the one who looks like your other kitty. He freaking loves anything that is that thin, filmy plastic, so grocery bags, saran wrap, ziploc bags, pad wrappers, etc. are all equally delicious to him. :eek:

Chronos
12-04-2008, 01:27 PM
For the folks mentioning mint, remember that catnip is a member of the mint family. It's possible that the same chemical is present in other mints in smaller amounts.

Shecky
12-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Calico: Corn on the cob, leather tails from fake mice, emory boards which we use to "file" her fangs, leather shoes,

Fat Orange Cat: food from the other's dish, spider plants, cat hair tumbleweeds, peanut butter cookies, broccoli.

My old cat used to eat green bell peppers (not red or yellow), pizza crusts, broccoli, coca-cola (not flat), Wheaties AND the milk, and the obligatory vermin heads. You know, to steal their power.

Markxxx
12-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I have a cat that loves blue corn chips.

Question, JUST the blue corn chips? Will she eat other colors? Or is there something about the blue color that makes it taste different?

This is pretty interesting. I thought of the question 'cause one co-worker kept complaining her cat would drink out of her coffee cup.

I told her it's probably the cream in it and not the coffee. So she tried black coffee and the cat won't touch it.

So it looks like the cats love dairy whether it's ranch or ice cream. I wonder if the cats that like ranch dressing would like it if it's just oil?

I know cats can't taste sweets so I don't know what's up with that?

BlinkingDuck
12-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Pistachios. No other nuts.

I've then found out this doesn't seem to be uncommon.

The Falling Reverend
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Both of my feline minions have become my apartment's resident lizard killers. They just don't bat them around, but actually devour the defeated reptile.

Black Sunshine
12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Watson (http://kittenwar.com/kittens/104080/) is the reason we have to keep all bread items in the 'fridge. He'll get on top of the plastic bag and do the happy claw dance until there are shreds of plastic and bread everywhere. Then he starts eating.

I also have to be careful grooming him, because as soon as I un-clump the comb, he tries to eat his hair. Tries to eat the comb, too.

Goes apeshit over water crackers.

Telperien
12-04-2008, 04:05 PM
My family had a cat named Winston who liked Doritos and pasta. He also loved cheese. He would often jump in your lap while you were eating just to see if what you were putting in your mouth would be something he wanted to partake of.

dre2xl
12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Well I can see how cats would like things with milk or cheese in it. I just think it's really odd when they veggies or sweet things, 'cause I know cats can't taste sweet
I've heard that too. But I think that's bullcrap.

Bumbershoot
12-04-2008, 04:20 PM
My cat likes to drink hot water. Not boiling hot, but out-of-the-tap hot.

SmartAleq
12-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Pratchett (http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/smartaleq/100_0146.jpg) is a pretty adventurous eater, but the one thing he eats that just cracks me up is key lime pie. The really cheap stuff you buy by the slice in a cunning triangular box from the dollar store and eat while it's still frozen. He'll smell that stuff from two rooms away, bulldoze onto my lap and insist I give him several generous forkfuls. WITH crust, mind you, he likes to stab the graham cracker crust with his pointy little teeth. He can take or leave the whipped cream part, but he goes apeshit for the lime. He likes to stab potato chips, too, and he has a definite sweet tooth--he loves candy of many different types and is convinced that chocolate would be the ultimate, but we draw the line there--no Theobromas for animals! He's cool with white chocolate covered pretzels...

Fetchund
12-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Well, our cats are weirdest in what they won't eat. Except for Wren munching on paper, and Phoebe liking dog kibble, neither one will touch anything but cat food. And it has to be cat food with no fish or seafood in it. It took months to convince them that CANNED cat food was edible - up until then, only kibble would do.

Funny thing - Wren is getting pretty darn fat for such a picky girl! I wonder if there are calories in paystubs? :)

Philster
12-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Never met a cat that didn't love ear wax.

Clothahump
12-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I used to have a cat that went crazy over cashew nuts. I don't care where she was in the house, when she heard the lid unscrewing, zooommm...she was there. And she would get aggressive if I didn't pay her off fast enough.

Mirror Image egamI rorriM
12-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Looker T. Booker T. Babycakes Bean loved mint. Candy canes, Lifesavers Wint-O-Green, toothpaste, he was all over it.

anu-la1979
12-05-2008, 01:30 AM
Our First Cat: bagel & cream cheese, ice cream, tapioca pudding, my mom's gigantic lemongrass plant

His successor really enjoys his cocktail shrimp. And he'll get super aggressive and petulant if he doesn't get one every time the blessed freezer door opens.rkey

My cat only eats smoked turkey, sardines, anchovies, albacore tuna, cream cheese and cheddar. obligatory cat lady photos (http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157608801201786/)

3trew
12-05-2008, 02:32 AM
My last kitty was absolutely indifferent to human food with three exceptions (from his perspective). Once when he was trying to kill a moth it flew above his leaping range and I smacked it into a wall in passing. He dove on it, ate it, and gave me a very superior look, having taken my prey. He would also, if I opened a can of tuna, drop by to let me know that if I happened to have some extra tuna lying around he would be quite happy to take care of that for me. He would do this in a cat way, very nonchalant and fully prepared to not have been asking if I hadn't been offering.

The third one was moose meat. My uncle hunts, my aunt preserves the meat in Mason jars, and because moose are really, really big everybody in the family gets some. The ordinarily very calm kitty who would meow quietly to remind you he was there if you had tuna would frantically climb your body to get the moose if you were too slow to give him some. For those of you who've missed the joy of having a 20lb cat climb you, way to go. It's not fun.

I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of secret that the naturalists haven't yet figured out. Perhaps vast numbers of domestic shorthairs gather in secret to hunt down and, eventually, kill a moose, sharing out the bounty in tiny chunks amidst a feeding frenzy. Later, they return to their houses as if nothing had happened. I saw that "Amazing Journey" movie. Those wee buggers are smarter than they look.

Moose are quite a bit larger than humans. Somebody should make sure this isn't happening before the felines decide we can openers aren't really necessary anymore.

panache45
12-05-2008, 06:03 AM
I once bought a box of one of the Celestial Seasonings teas, and left it on the counter. The next morning I found the box on the floor, ripped open, torn-up tea bags and tea strewn all over the kitchen floor. Yup, one of the tea's ingredients was catnip.

And all of my cats have gone crazy over green olives.

legalsnugs
12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Hoover (RIP) loved cream of wheat. He would "share" mine on cold mornings and would get very upset if I ate too slowly! I learned to eat cream of wheat fast so he could have the bowl. He didn't care about cold cereal or any other breakfast foods, but he went nutso over cream of wheat. He amazed me once when on the first cold morning of Autumn he showed up in the kitchen while I was microwaving my first cream of wheat of the season. He let me know he was ready for the cream of wheat, too, dancing and yammering! We used the microwave all the time and he never particularly cared or even paid any attention. And I had not made cream of wheat since Spring. How did he know that this time I was making cream of wheat? I miss that big old kitty.

Our current kitty, Chutney, has bamboozled us by being the only cat we've ever met that didn't like fish. Even tuna. Not interested! Cats are weird people.

anu-la1979
12-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh yeah, in terms of "non-edible" things, Julius also enjoys Etoufee of Rubber Bands, Grilled Dryer Lint Sheets and Pasta Pomodoro of Fringe. He ate a pound of leather fringe off of all the "shakira style" belts my parents brought me back from India. I don't wear them so they were hanging in the back of the closet. I always wondered what he was nipping back there for-turns out it was for his "Fourth Meal".

Best Topics: sfsu housing passata wikipedia burning daylight quote koch brothers pronunciation three point hat rome etymology mercedes vs honda guys camping rim dent repair cincinnati c logo wat up g dinosaurs gravity italian traffic tickets uverse mcafee floating bathing suits ira tax deferred pet scan claustrophobia 30 quid martini and more pilonidal cyst lanced fridge vs refrigerator unskilled crossword musume meaning kung fu hair choking on ice books about isolation financially responsible definition onegin pronunciation phosphorescent powder michaels napisan usa uncirculated denver penny no date can you live without your thyroid passive cell phone antennas what are the lyrics to popeye the sailor man how much does rabies vaccine cost for humans different download speeds on same wireless network wrecked em damn near killed em what type of frosting is best for red velvet cake what is a colita windows live mail error id 0x800ccc67 pronounce dulce de leche if you are born deaf what language would you think in shane and sia barbi nude perler beads ironing paper substitute is it safe to send a check in the mail how long to drive to recharge battery do i need to dial 1 on a cell phone keurig coffee cup sizes how to get cash from credit card without pin can't get snake down drain ray charles eyes open does ibuprofen make you sleep why cant i wink the godfather vhs collection price largest rivers by volume sugar melts in the rain enemy at the gates true story attila the hun and genghis khan i have some swamp land to sell you garbage disposal jammed humming how to level a pool table on carpet cost to install stainless steel chimney liner