PDA

View Full Version : Where did the Coke in this can go??

Shig
12-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I have this tall skinny coke can that I bought probably 10 years ago because I liked the design on it. It's been in a closet almost ever since. I picked it up yesterday and it seems to be about an eighth full now. No signs of leakage and no holes in the can. What happened to the Coke inside this unopened Coke can?? It's driving me crazy.

Santo Rugger
12-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't know the rate of diffusion for (basically) water going through aluminum. However, it's quite possible there was a manufacturing defect that left a hole somewhere where the lid was crimped on, or where the tab was riveted on. In fact, I found a Sprite with the latter problem just this evening. It was about 3/4 full, but still carbonated. It was immediately noticeable when I picked it up because the can wasn't under pressure, and dented when I grabbed it.

HMS Irruncible
12-05-2008, 07:40 AM
No answer, but a similar thing happened to me a while back. In my case it did look like there was a faint stain where the can was sitting, so it may have developed a small hole and drained out slowly. I'll be watching the thread with interest.

CookingWithGas
12-05-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't know the answer but seal it in a zip-lock bag and see what happens in the next 10 years.

Troy McClure SF
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I actually have a sealed, empty can of Diet Coke that I got in a 12-pack. No sign of puncture, and it's somewhat resistant to crushing (I assume this pressure means it is still sealed).

Marley23
12-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I actually have a sealed, empty can of Diet Coke that I got in a 12-pack. No sign of puncture, and it's somewhat resistant to crushing (I assume this pressure means it is still sealed).
Any idea when you got the can?

Anthony N
12-05-2008, 02:09 PM
I have found sealed beer cans both empty and partially filled in 12-packs before. High-speed, automated filling machines aren't 100% accurate. Or someone in the bottling plant felt like playing a practical joke.

KneadToKnow
12-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Or someone in the bottling plant felt like playing a practical joke.

I know! I got a bottle of Schotz beer with a glove on top of it once!

astro
12-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Given the extreme thinness of aluminum cans it's quite possible that any weak spot would be a potential source of leakage across a substantial stretch of time.

I've seen cheap aluminum pots pitted and eaten through by lots of spaghetti sauce cookery over just 3-4 years and they are 100's of times thicker than a beverage can. The wonder is not that they leak the wonder is that they don't leak more.

control-z
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I think it probably leaked.

My stepfather had some sealed collectible soda cans at least 15 years old on his shelves. We noticed one day there was a fine stream of liquid shooting a couple feet out of one of them, there was a pinhole about 1/3 the way up the can.

So look for evidence a foot or more from the can, I would think you'd find a sticky area unless bugs or something took care of it.

Markxxx
12-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I had something similar happen, I had a can of soda, that had been lost in a box in a closet for around 5 years, when I opened it about half the pop was gone.

I didn't see any leaks or anything in the box. And nothing in the box was stained

iamthewalrus(:3=
12-05-2008, 08:14 PM
My coworker has a can of orange soda that's fully intact and pressurized, but only about 1/4 full. It's particularly cool because it has the right amount of liquid to be balanced on on the corner, like this (http://instructables.com/id/Soda-Can-Trick/). He keeps it on top of his monitor, on edge.

Rigamarole
12-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I have this tall skinny coke can that I bought probably 10 years ago because I liked the design on it. It's been in a closet almost ever since. I picked it up yesterday and it seems to be about an eighth full now.

If you're planning to drink it you better hurry the hell up before it's all gone.

ToeJam
12-05-2008, 08:15 PM

I got one of those as well back in college, Freshman year. It was a regular can of coke and It's completely empty, however, it's pretty fragile. If I squeezed it, I could probably dent the can. I've kept it every since just because its great fun to take it and tape it to the ceilings or walls.

Shig
12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I had something similar happen, I had a can of soda, that had been lost in a box in a closet for around 5 years, when I opened it about half the pop was gone.

I didn't see any leaks or anything in the box. And nothing in the box was stained

This is the closest to whats happening here. Apparently there's no real answers, but thanks for all the responses. =)

Santo Rugger
12-05-2008, 10:25 PM
This is the closest to whats happening here. Apparently there's no real answers, but thanks for all the responses. =):confused: You didn't like my post?

Shig
12-06-2008, 05:54 AM
:confused: You didn't like my post?

OK, Santo, but mine has no dents and no defects. It's been sitting on a shelf for about 10 years, Nothing has leaked, there's no holes. I don't get it.

Kalhoun
12-06-2008, 07:36 AM
A friend of mine got a tiny six-pack of baby Cokes (about 2 inches high, bottles) at a World's Fair in the '60s. When she showed it to me, they were about 1/3 empty.

For the record, this may be the best example of "cute food" I've ever seen.

HMS Irruncible
12-06-2008, 08:27 AM
OK, Santo, but mine has no dents and no defects. It's been sitting on a shelf for about 10 years, Nothing has leaked, there's no holes. I don't get it.
Most likely there's a hole and it leaked. It's just a hole tinier than you can see. How else do you figure it got out, magic? :confused:

beowulff
12-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Most likely there's a hole and it leaked. It's just a hole tinier than you can see. How else do you figure it got out, magic? :confused:

Any hole tinier than you can see is indistinguishable from magic...

Philster
12-06-2008, 10:22 AM
When water escapes a container when the intention was to keep it in the container, we earth folk call that leakage.

Ya got a leak, son...and a darn small one. It might have developed over time, because an imperfection in manufacturing could have led to corrosion over time. See, that there stuff in the can can rust and corrode metals. And where parts meet (can/top, top/lid), well that has to be sealed well enough for a year or two, but I doubt any alum can makers are staying up at night trying to figure out how to keep mildly acidic soda in the can for three or more years.

control-z
12-06-2008, 01:09 PM
It's a pinhole. You might not even be able to see it with magnification. A pinhole was enough to let a several foot stream of soda shoot out.

Hanna
12-06-2008, 06:18 PM
I have a small, sealed glass bottle of Tequila that my Mom bought me 10-12 years ago from Mexico that has slowly lost liquid over the years. It has never been opened. I lift and move it to dust it, but otherwise it hasn't been moved. I remember an explanation for where the tequila was going from a physics classes I took a few years ago, but I can't remember the term...(physics is not my strong point, I remember none of it). It wasn't just simple evaporation...something about how things can evaporate through glass or probably aluminum, and it made sense when I learned about it...damn. I wish I could remember the name for this.

Blue Mood
12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Maybe the water has evaporated because of small holes in the can. You could open it and see whether the remaining Coke is normal or concentrated to verify.

Philster
12-06-2008, 10:30 PM
I have a small, sealed glass bottle of Tequila that my Mom bought me 10-12 years ago from Mexico that has slowly lost liquid over the years. It has never been opened. I lift and move it to dust it, but otherwise it hasn't been moved. I remember an explanation for where the tequila was going from a physics classes I took a few years ago, but I can't remember the term...(physics is not my strong point, I remember none of it). It wasn't just simple evaporation...something about how things can evaporate through glass or probably aluminum, and it made sense when I learned about it...damn. I wish I could remember the name for this.

It's got a lid/cap. That's all you need. It's a sealing point, and no matter how well sealed to the eye, it just ain't 100 hundred percent sealed.

cornflakes
12-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I have a small, sealed glass bottle of Tequila that my Mom bought me 10-12 years ago from Mexico that has slowly lost liquid over the years. It has never been opened. I lift and move it to dust it, but otherwise it hasn't been moved. I remember an explanation for where the tequila was going from a physics classes I took a few years ago, but I can't remember the term...(physics is not my strong point, I remember none of it). It wasn't just simple evaporation...something about how things can evaporate through glass or probably aluminum, and it made sense when I learned about it...damn. I wish I could remember the name for this.Diffusion?

Shig
12-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Alright, I'm satisfied. Thank you all, even the two that gave condescending asshole responses.

GameHat
12-07-2008, 05:47 AM
It's got a lid/cap. That's all you need. It's a sealing point, and no matter how well sealed to the eye, it just ain't 100 hundred percent sealed.

This.

Water vapor escapes from an imperfect seal.

Shig
12-08-2008, 03:34 AM
WOW! The stuff is still carbonated. I shake it up and hold it to my ear and there's bubbles inside!

clayton_e
12-08-2008, 03:59 AM
There is a super thin plastic liner sprayed into cans. Take a knife to the inside surface of most soda cans. That's there to prevent corrosion from the acidic soda. Its not perfect, it may be thicker and patchy in some parts. At the seam of the hole at the top there's bound to be some variation in it. A super small pinhole will show up eventually. Probably even so small that you could squeeze the can and the air wouldn't rush out at any appreciable rate.

Santo Rugger
12-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Alright, I'm satisfied. Thank you all, even the two that gave condescending asshole responses.Was that before or after your question was answered by multiple people and you stated that there was no answer to your question?

Shig
12-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Was that before or after your question was answered by multiple people and you stated that there was no answer to your question?

After =)

Best Topics: bad blowjobs broheim meaning amazon cd r cb savage arab gulf sex sherry shelf life odder odd rods flareside truck yodelling songs cat5 underground berlin zoo ww2 uv light test walgreens inkjet cartridges trimps heirloom guide double reds donation tony robbins scientology tomboy etymology pulo prabang robin charboneau buying cyanide pill foghorn leghorn eggbert duck spanish langdon alger maru japanese meaning buying a dolphin beluga whale mermaid apr chipping castaway ending working at hermes 3 point landing pee on wound transition lenses lenscrafters teen zombie books roseanne rooster shirt burning daylight meaning cannonball - the breeders can hermaphrodites impregnate themselves how to tell if someone is cheating on words with friends odds of getting a 29 hand in cribbage pen and paper games to play by yourself should i turn the heat down at night congestive heart failure dogs when to put down tuning a 5 string bass guitar how early to arrive at movie theater first communion gifts from godparents read x-men comics from the beginning how to keep roaches out of coffee maker best buy alarm system cars checks lost in the mail perfect hand in cribbage the one that got away meaning where does marijuana grow wildly la bamba lyrics translated sex with menstrual cup what happens if i delete a partition what animal eats rabbits heads off does mimi die in rent straining to have a bowel movement 200 proof alcohol drink how much time has passed in game of thrones blue with yellow equal sign hotel impossible follow up is it illegal to destroy us currency what to do with old world book encyclopedias actors that always play bad guys why do csgo pros tilt their keyboard cooking chicken on cuisinart griddler look into the abyss quote is an expired id valid