PDA

View Full Version : How much cocaine for personal use?

Telcontar
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
As part of a research project I need to know how much cocaine a recreational user would plausibly have in their possession. Bit of a long story as to why, involves comparisons of sentencing laws across jurisdictions. Does anyone have any related experience or cites? What little I've been able to find online varies widely.

Just to give some guidance: the question is whether a user who wasn't a total coke head would have 1g, 5g, 10g, or 30g/+ in their possession. Also whether the weight would differ if the person were doing crack.

I never thought that not doing drugs would deprive me of relevant academic information ;)

FoieGrasIsEvil
01-06-2009, 08:41 PM
As part of a research project I need to know how much cocaine a recreational user would plausibly have in their possession. Bit of a long story as to why, involves comparisons of sentencing laws across jurisdictions. Does anyone have any related experience or cites? What little I've been able to find online varies widely.

Just to give some guidance: the question is whether a user who wasn't a total coke head would have 1g, 5g, 10g, or 30g/+ in their possession. Also whether the weight would differ if the person were doing crack.

I never thought that not doing drugs would deprive me of relevant academic information ;)

A gram to an eightball (8th of an ounce) of either powder or crack would suffice, depending on the amount of coke-whores on hand.

Valgard
01-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I served on a federal court jury in a case involving cocaine dealing, this was a couple of years ago here in California. The DEA stated that the amounts that they'd consider for "personal use" were measured in milligrams. Not grams, thousandths of a gram.

Regardless of whether we felt that was a pretty miniscule amount or not the defendant was involved with multiple kilos of the stuff (we got to pass around a *sealed* bag with about 3.5kg of coke in it) so the question of personal use was pretty easy to answer.

The DEA never stated how many milligrams but I note that commonly sold amounts to the individual (judging by wikipedia) seem to be fractions of a gram - a few tenths, maybe a full gram.

Khampelf
01-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Crack or classic? Powder, about 1/4 gram to a gram or two, for a casual user.
A playboy partyboy may have an ounce, stocking up for a big weekend.
Crack I'm less sure of, but a few rocks of .1 g to a gram.
The amounts go up as you go up the supply chain.

Don't ask me how I know.

ArmenE
01-07-2009, 12:37 AM
The DEA stated that the amounts that they'd consider for "personal use" were measured in milligrams. Not grams, thousandths of a gram.
I suppose I could measure me in milligrams too: ~75 million.

Santo Rugger
01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I suppose I could measure me in milligrams too: ~75 million.Seriously. Like Khampelf implied, you're not going to get much effect by using less than 250mg; it's just going to make you want more. Kind of like eating a snack size candy bar when you're starving.

Yorikke
01-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Never used coke, but have used plenty of recreational drugs, and have known coke users. To me, an eight-ball (3.5 grams) could reasonably be considered personal use. I'd not carry more than that at once. For crack, maybe a half-dozen rocks. But I think (wild speculation) that more crack users buy by the single-use amount, which is less than that. If cops find any quantity of crack worth more than 25 bucks, especially if packaged separately, you are fucked.

Joe

Santo Rugger
01-07-2009, 10:22 AM
While we're discussing it, the amount bought less than an eight ball in the US Customary system is commonly known as a teener, and is half an eight ball (1.75 grams).

It really depends on your definition of personal use. I would have shared a teener with two or three friends when I was in college, but would never do that much in a night by myself. However, I would still consider an eight ball personal use, for the same reason a handle of booze is personal use. You're not going to drink it all in one night, but it's not unreasonable to buy it for yourself in that quantity.

KneadToKnow
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I did so much cocaine, I embarrassed cocaine dealers. [imitating himself] "C'mon, man, I just need enough to get through the weekend." [imitating dealer] "Okay, how much do you need?" [imitating himself] "A kilo."

:)

Telcontar
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Strangely there wasn't a simple cocaine FAQ anywhere...it's almost like people don't approve.

TheScogg
01-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Disclaimer : I am in no way condoning drug use and think cocaine, as well as a variety of other hard drugs is a terrible addiction that will only lead you in one direction. I am only relating these personal experiences to give the OP an idea of what some Joe Blow (no pun intended) recreational user may purchase.

From a couple of personal experiences in my stupid years, I'd say .5 gram to 3.5 grams could possibly be argued to be a personal recreational stash. I was not a cokehead (did the stuff about 10 times over a couple of years) and .5 gram would be enough to keep me tweaked for an allnighter. I could see an eightball being bought for a long weekend if the purchaser was cutting off a few lines for buddies that came over or if his girfriend wanted to try it. Around 5 grams, you're probably looking at someone who's putting part of it up their nose and selling the rest to make their money back. As the amount increases form there, you're looking at somebody who's probably either a total cokehead, dealing, or a combination of the two.

As far as crack goes, I have no idea.

Santo Rugger
01-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Strangely there wasn't a simple cocaine FAQ anywhere...it's almost like people don't approve.Have you poked around on erowid.org ?

Telcontar
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Have you poked around on erowid.org ?

A bit. it's a good site, but a little hit and miss.

Moirai
01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Lots. As much as a 1/4 ounce at a time. On a regular basis.

Mileage varies considerably, and I was an exceptional addict.

Coke classic, not crack.

Kickback_Joe
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
When I was quite a bit younger an 8ball (powder) would last all weekend and often the amount purchased would depend on the price. I used to carry or have access to an 8ball just about all the time. I always felt that having more than that was pushing my personal risk limit.

The most I ever purchased was a half oz since my buddy wanted an 8ball to go with mine on a road trip and the price became a buy 3 get 1 free. It made me very nervous to be on road with this on me and I stashed my "extra" 2 and gave my buddy his as soon as possible.

Jake
01-07-2009, 02:07 PM
What's the average cost of street-grade cocaine? Crack?

Kalhoun
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Depending on the person, 1/4 gram to a gram. If you're talking 8-balls, the person is probably more than just a casual user. By casual, I'm thinking no more than maybe monthly use. All the 8-ball people I knew were using almost daily.

Moirai
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
What's the average cost of street-grade cocaine? Crack?

Used to be $25 a 1/4 gram, or $100 per gram, or $200 or so for an 1/8 ounce (2.5 grams).

But I haven't bought any in years. That's powder price.

Rhythmdvl
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Another angle you may want to consider is that “personal use” is something of a misnomer and an artificial construction of drug laws.

Consider an analogy. How much alcohol is considered enough for personal use? A bottle of wine? Two or maybe even three on a longer night? Ok, fine. What about someone with a wine rack full of bottles? Does that imply someone who likes drinking on weekends intends to distribute? Forget for a moment about varieties and differing vineyards, it is not uncommon for people to buy case lots of wine they like.

Buying drugs can be a sketchy process to begin with — there are obvious dangers of the crime and in many cases associating with unsavory people. There are price structures that vary significantly when buying small to large quantities. A person who has the opportunity to purchase a larger quantity may still have “personal use” in mind, holding the honest belief that they are buying a week’s or month’s supply. Whether for price or convenience, they are now in possession of a quantity that triggers “with intent to sell” ramifications.

This has the unfortunate outcome of a widespread “buy small” mentality, increasing overall risk and creating an artificial increase in the number of smaller dealers (and the associated crime networks to support them).

ETA: See Kickback_Joe's second paragraph for something of an anecdote.

Santo Rugger
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Lots. As much as a 1/4 ounce at a time. On a regular basis.

Mileage varies considerably, and I was an exceptional addict.

Coke classic, not crack.Would you agree, then, that having more than an 1/8 is indicative of "something going on"?Used to be $25 a 1/4 gram, or $100 per gram, or $200 or so for an 1/8 ounce (2.5 grams).

But I haven't bought any in years. That's powder price.I haven't, either, but the going rate in my area was about half that. The ratios are similar, though, because everybody wants to double their money. Also, 1/8 ounce is 3.5 grams, but I'm sure that was a typo.

garygnu
01-07-2009, 06:42 PM
...A person who has the opportunity to purchase a larger quantity may still have “personal use” in mind, holding the honest belief that they are buying a week’s or month’s supply. Whether for price or convenience, they are now in possession of a quantity that triggers “with intent to sell” ramifications...
I was recently on a jury whose job was to determine if the cocaine found in possession of the defendant was intended to be sold. The gist of the defense's argument was that he was a heavy user and it was for personal use.
I don't remember the exact amount, but the bag looked to hold about 3/4 of a cup, if measured like flour. I did some calculations in my notes that it was a month's supply if the guy took four doses a day.
I might have bought into it, except three 1/4 gram bags were also found in his pockets.

Rigamarole
01-07-2009, 07:58 PM
I've seen some wildly varying answers in this thread so I'll try to give the amounts a little bit of perspective.

When I was connected to that market, which was about 5 years ago in suburban NC, a gram cost $100, and an eightball, or 1/8th oz. (3.5 grams), about $300. These were by far the most common amounts that suburban prep kids would purchase in - a gram for a personal stash, and an eightball if you were planning a big party and had a few people pitching in.

If you just want to get high once or twice, it only takes a fraction of a gram. Most people wouldn't be carrying much more than a gram on them at any given time, but up to 3.5 grams is plausible. Any more than that and you're probably trying to sell it. As far as crack, I can't help you there. Cocaine is a rich white kid drug (where I lived) and crack is the "hood" drug. Interestingly even though it's made from the same substance, the penalties for crack possession are far more severe across the board.

Moirai
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Would you agree, then, that having more than an 1/8 is indicative of "something going on"?

I would certainly suspect it. Casual, recreational, "there's a party this weekend" users wouldn't have more than a gram or two, would they?

I, however, had an insane habit. And thanks for catching the 1/4 ounce typo. :smack: Damned good thing I don't get high anymore... :D

Santo Rugger
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I would certainly suspect it. Casual, recreational, "there's a party this weekend" users wouldn't have more than a gram or two, would they?I think it depends on if having a gram or two for themselves and a gram or two for their friend counts as personal use or not. I'd say it does.I, however, had an insane habit. And thanks for catching the 1/4 ounce typo. :smack: Damned good thing I don't get high anymore... :DI thought you were just high when you wrote it. ;)

But, seriously, the point I was trying to make was that it seems that we distinguish between a college kid who's getting high on the weekend, and a drug addict who needs help (read: punishment). So, if they've got less than a 'ball, they're likely the former; if they've got more than a ball, they're likely the latter.

Hail Ants
01-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Coke pretty much always costs the same, $25 per quarter gram. Like any other product in a capitalist society you will often get volume discounts, even on a personal use scale, i.e. a dealer will sell you a gram for $75 etc.

The price never really goes up or down, the dealers just cut it more (or less), i.e. they vary the filler and make it less or more pure. But the standard unit of (personal, small-time) purchasable coke is the $25 quarter gram.

If I were on a jury I could accept someone carrying around about up to an eighth ounce (an eightball) on their person as still being for personal use. So long as it was all loose powder in one bag! Walking around with 20 or 30 25 dollar bundles in a bag? Not so much.

Best Topics: noise bomb pt cruisers review lawyers robe funny interjections nobiscum latin plastic bomb pp page byzantine throne ssn message board lake tahoe viewpoint fat on steak v versus vs saloon vs bar cozumel or cancun sutures itching titanium tooth crown nauseous while pooping boxing eye cut beige computer creepy poems jacque gonzales illness don't like sports exploding potato mozart laugh address in sweden what is ncrc netgear dns error swedish addresses format citizen legislator low income synonym auction hunters fake paralegal reddit sumerian proverbs alaskan accent does magnets stick to aluminum donald trump visa commercial does pizza hut have deep dish pizza amazon return policy opened ronald reagan last interview how to give yourself a fever wizard of oz ending beta gamma sigma honor society on resume will tylenol 4 show in drug test where can i practice driving without a permit if you don't eat your meat what do plants emit semi truck vs tractor trailer denver to los angeles drive time how much does a brick of gold weigh how to soften caramel that is too hard do led lights burn out how much does 1800 got junk charge for mattress how long does gefilte fish last in the fridge cat catching a mouse walk from siberia to india new york daily news liberal or conservative can i file exempt for 6 months code 50 at lowes are permanent records real ny dmv returning license plates 1800 got junk reviews prices naturale eius debent meaning how many ounces is the average chicken breast can you use drano in your toilet what is 20% of 21 how accurate is burn notice bought car lost title before registered where to buy poster tube