PDA

View Full Version : Where to Find Molasses in Grocery Store

DanBlather
01-08-2009, 01:36 AM
What section of the store would you expect to find molasses?
How old are you?

I'll say why after a few posts.

Oakminster
01-08-2009, 01:38 AM
I'd expect to find it with the pancake syrup and such. Failing that, I'd look near the sugar.

I'm 43.

Ephemera
01-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Baking goods?

Broomstick
01-08-2009, 01:42 AM
I usually look in the baking goods, but often find it near the pancake syrup sonow I expect it there, too. 43. I'm now curious about why you're asking.

cornflakes
01-08-2009, 01:47 AM
By the syrup, and like many other good people, I'm 43.

DanBlather
01-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Well there goes that theory. I was at the store today looking for molasses in the baking section. I thought it'd be next to the sugar. But nope, it was in another aisle with the syrups. The store manager said that they had done focus groups and people over 30 thought it would be in baking and those younger thought it would be with the syrups.

dwyr
01-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Well I fit in there I guess. I usually head for the baking aisle first before I remember that it's with the syrups and breakfast stuff. Oh and I'm well over 30.

nikonikosuru
01-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Baking goods isle. 22.

matt_mcl
01-08-2009, 01:55 AM
I am 27, and would expect to find it in with the baking. I was well into my adulthood before I ever encountered the concept of using molasses as pancake topping (as you can imagine, we use maple syrup for that purpose here. Real syrup. The Quebecois have a charming expression for Aunt Jemima-type syrup: sirop de poteau, "fencepost syrup.")

Rigamarole
01-08-2009, 01:56 AM
In the 1875 section.

I didn't realize people still actually use the stuff.

flodnak
01-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Baking goods aisle, as its main function is for shoo-fly pies. And I'm 39.

dwyr
01-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Can't make gingerbread without molasses, the darker the better.

Or sorghum, but I usually can't find that in the store at all.

Hazle Weatherfield
01-08-2009, 02:57 AM
Syrup aisle, 41.

Cicero
01-08-2009, 06:01 AM
Why the hell would you want to? I haven't tasted it since I worked at a rum distillery.

TokyoBayer
01-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Baking goods, but not in Tokyo

joyfool
01-08-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm just now learning to cook, so the only place I would've known to look for it in the past is the near the syrup.

I'm 40.

neutron star
01-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Well there goes that theory. I was at the store today looking for molasses in the baking section. I thought it'd be next to the sugar. But nope, it was in another aisle with the syrups. The store manager said that they had done focus groups and people over 30 thought it would be in baking and those younger thought it would be with the syrups.I thought syrup, too, and I'm 30 exactly.

Harmonious Discord
01-08-2009, 07:27 AM
In the 1875 section.

Obviously you don't cook too much.

I'd look in the baking by the brown sugar first and then by the pancake syrup. I'm in the older group. I thought only the really old people used molasses or sorghum on pancakes.

Brown sugar is often made by adding molasses to granulated beet sugar. The better stuff not made that way is C&H pure cane sugar.

DianaG
01-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Huh... I'm 37, I'd expect to find it with baking goods. People pour that stuff on pancakes? It smells vile!

FriarTed
01-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Pancake syrups & 46 for 9 more weeks.

Maus Magill
01-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I'd expect to find it with the pancake syrup and such. Failing that, I'd look near the sugar.

I'm 43.

Seconded.

Maus Magill
01-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Huh... I'm 37, I'd expect to find it with baking goods. People pour that stuff on pancakes? It smells vile!

I'll put it on waffles more often than syrup. It's delicious. Unfortunately, my wife forbids me from using it if I'm going to be anywhere near her for the following 24 hours.

Lots of sulfur in there, don'tchano.

interface2x
I'd expect to find it in the baking aisle with the sugar, flour, frosting, and cake mixes.

I'm 31 but I used to work as a stockboy in a grocery store and that is where we had it.

Karyn
I use it to make gingerbread and it's in the baking section, which is conveniently located right next to the syrup section. The aisle goes from cookie and cake mixes to flour and sugar, then pancake mix and syrup.

Chefguy
01-08-2009, 08:14 AM
In the 1875 section.

Baked beans, my friend, baked beans.

Mahna Mahna
01-08-2009, 08:38 AM
In the baking goods aisle, next to the other sweetening agents like artificial sweeteners, corn syrup and various types of sugar.

The only use for molasses that I know of is baking, mostly in gingerbread-flavoured goodies. Like matt_mcl pointed out, no self-respecting Canadian would put molasses on their pancakes when maple syrup is easily available.

(Lyle's Golden Syrup, on the other hand, is found with syrups and jams... but I expect that's one of those strange British-isms that you don't see outside the Commonwealth)

ETA: I'm 30.

Broomstick
01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Well there goes that theory. I was at the store today looking for molasses in the baking section. I thought it'd be next to the sugar. But nope, it was in another aisle with the syrups. The store manager said that they had done focus groups and people over 30 thought it would be in baking and those younger thought it would be with the syrups.
Not entirely off base - as I said, my first inclination is to look in baking goods but in recent years I've been "trained" to check the syrup aisle.

There's one store in my area that has it both places.

Ferret Herder
01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Having only looked at the first three posts - I'm in my late 30s, and would expect to find it in the baking section next to the corn syrup, because that is where I find it.

Reviewing the other posts: Molasses on pancakes? Ew. Real maple syrup is the way to go, and I don't mean that fake junk, either. And now that I think of it, I haven't looked to see if molasses is also stocked with the 'pancake syrup' as well.

PaperBlob
01-08-2009, 08:43 AM
With the pancake syrup. Failing that, in the baking aisle. This is based on many years of shopping experience. If I had never bought it before, I would probably go straight to the baking aisle.

Im 46 years old.

Lionne
01-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Baking goods aisle. I'm 27.

And damn it, now I want pancakes with maple syrup!

silenus
01-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Syrups, 53.

But that's a cheat. I know exactly where molasses is at my grocery store because I use it all the time making cookies.

Dinsdale
01-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Just gotta briefly hijack with what I consider an appropriate joke, which I believe I first heard here:

One day Father Mole stuck his nose out of the family's burrow, took a sniff, and commented, "Is that maple syrup I smell?"

His wife joined him at the burrow entrance, and said, "No dear, I do believe it is treacle."

Down below Baby Mole tried to join them, but with his parents blocking the entrance he complained, "All I smell down here is mole asses."

freckafree
01-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Either baking or syrup, because I shop in several different stores, and it is invariably NOT in the aisle I check first! :)

Scarlett67
01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
With syrups, and that's where it is in my store, along with the corn syrup. I use it exclusively to make gingerbread (and the corn syrup is for caramel corn).

I'm 41.

ETA: I just asked Mr. S and he said with the sugar (baking stuff). He's 53.

Broomstick
01-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Another item for the "What would you use it for?" question - my rye bread recipe calls for molasses.

pendgwen
01-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I'd look in the baking section since I use it for molasses cookies and gingerbread. I'm 30.

Yllaria
01-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Baking aisle first. 53.

MsRobyn
01-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I happen to know that my favored supermarket stocks it with the pancake syrup. For all I know, they also stock some in the baking aisle, but I can't remember for sure. You can also find cane and corn syrups in the pancake syrup aisle.

I'm 37.

Robin

Harmonious Discord
01-08-2009, 10:28 AM
The weird ass store in this town doesn't put corn syrup by the pancake and fruit syrups or in the baking section. They have it by the cereal section. That required me to get an employee to track down where they had it. I guess they expect children to pour it on their frosted cereal so they put it there.

WhyNot
01-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd look in the baking aisle first, but invariably be wrong and have to go back to the syrup aisle. Then the next time I went in, I'd remember it was in syrups, go there, and have to hoof it over to baking. Frakking stores moving things all the time! (Which, apparently, is neither illusion or managers with ADD - they really do move things around exactly so you can't find them right away. That way you look at 12.4 new items while you're searching for the stuff you buy all the time.)

34 years old.

Dinsdale
01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Oh, I'm 48, and pretty clueless about where to find things in the grocery store. So I'd probably wander aimlessly, trying syrup first, then baking goods. But come to think of it, should the syrup be near the frozen waffles, the pancake batter, or the baking goods?

During a recent foray I was bewildered to find Mac and Cheese wasn't in the pasta aisle. Prepared foods, IIRC...

I usually find myself half expecting to find foods stocked near whatever I tend to prepare them with. Since I generally use tuna for tuna salad, I always sort of expect the tuna and mayo to be together. Heck, spaghetti sauce is near the pasta, when it impresses me as more closely resembling ketchup, BBQ sauce, gravy, or even canned tomato sauce...

Alienhand
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Oddly enough I stopped by the grocery store last night looking for some. I expected it be by the syrup with the other 'food smothering' stuff like bbq sauce and such and it was. I went over to the baking goods to grab some stuff and it was there too. Amused, I walked back to the syrup area and saw that it was cheap stuff there and the expensive stuff by the baking goods. I have no idea if there is a real difference or just a local thing that certain brands sell better in different areas (or maybe WhyNot is right and they just hadn't finished moving it yet).

26 years old.

TroubleAgain
01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Baking goods, which is exactly where I found it the other day, when I was looking for it.

Spoke
01-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I thought only the really old people used molasses or sorghum on pancakes.

Not on pancakes. On hot, buttered biscuits!

(Molasses doesn't taste right on pancakes, but with biscuits it is a delight. Sorghum's even better.)

panache45
01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Baking supplies. 63.

tdn
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I woyuld expect to find it in several places in my local store, but baking goods is where I actually found it.

Baked beans, my friend, baked beans.

I see you coming in to this thead all smug and shit with your baked beans claims, but I don't see you makin' with the recipe that doesn't suck. Out with it, man!

cher3
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I made gingerbread and baked beans this past week. I expected to find it in the baking aisle, but it was with the pancake syrups (as was the corn syrup.)

I find this odd, since nobody uses molasses or corn syrup for anything except baking/candy making. (Sometimes I put it in my coffee, though.)

And where's my Brer Rabbit? Grandma's is okay, but I like some serious gingerbread once in a while.

Spoke
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I find this odd, since nobody uses molasses or corn syrup for anything except baking/candy making.

Ahem.

Biscuuuiiitts...

SCSimmons
01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
My supermarket must be brilliant. The baking supply aisle and the pancake mix & syrup aisle ... are the same isle. I don't know if they keep the molasses with the syrups or the sugars, but if I guessed wrong, I'd just have to turn around & slide about six feet up or down the aisle to find the right spot.

That said, I'd probably look in the baking supplies first myself. I'm 39 ...

cher3
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Okay, biscuits. But you're making those hot biscuits from scratch, right? ;)

OtakuLoki
01-08-2009, 12:17 PM
How old are you?

I'll say why after a few posts.

It's with the flour and other baking supplies.

OtakuLoki
01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I see you coming in to this thead all smug and shit with your baked beans claims, but I don't see you makin' with the recipe that doesn't suck. Out with it, man!

I've had good luck with Durgin-Park's recipe.

Which is no longer available on their website. *sob*

Spoke
01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Okay, biscuits. But you're making those hot biscuits from scratch, right? ;)

Yes. Yes I am. I see your point.

Green Bean
01-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Oddly enough I stopped by the grocery store last night looking for some. I expected it be by the syrup with the other 'food smothering' stuff like bbq sauce and such and it was.Funny, in stores around here, the syrups (including molasses) are kept near pancake mixes and granola bars and other breakfasty things, while BBQ sauce and other condiments are in a different aisle.

I'd look in the syrup aisle because I know that's where it is. I think it makes more sense to have it in the baking aisle, though, even if people use it for other stuff.

And it seems the most sensible to have baking and syrup/pancake stuff in the same aisle. Lots of items, like Bisquick, are used for both, and things like muffin mixes are in baking, but are really more breakfasty.

I'm 37

DanBlather
01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Supermarkets in general are starting to piss me off. Things like pasta show up in the pasta aisle, the gourmet aisle, and sometime in the imported foods aisle. I'd prefer to just look at one place that has all the brands together. Same thing with olive oil, spaghetti sauce, cheese, bread. Please: just keep it all together rather than spread it all over the damn store.

CaerieD
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Baking aisle in any unfamiliar store, though I know at the local IGA they have it with the pancake syrup, for some bizarre reason. I'm 28.

tdn
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Supermarkets in general are starting to piss me off. Things like pasta show up in the pasta aisle, the gourmet aisle, and sometime in the imported foods aisle.

Damn skippy. I was quite disappointed that my local S&S only had cheap cheeses, like Kraft singles, Velveeta, and grated jack. Because, as it turns out, good cheeses don't live in the cheese section. They're over next to the pickled herring, which is of course nowhere near the fish counter.

Algher
01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
(without reading other replies):

Baking aisle (near sugar, karo syrup, etc.). Our local has Bisquik on the other side, with pancake syrup over there. Not sure which side has the Molasses.

pulykamell
01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Baking, 33.

gigi
01-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Without looking at other responses, I would expect to see it by Karo, in the baking section.

I'm 40. And yeah, I use it for shoo-fly pie.

iamthewalrus(:3=
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
With the syrup. I'm 27.

Interestingly enough, I went to buy corn syrup the other day, and I looked in the baking goods aisle first. I guess my reasoning was that corn syrup would only be used in baking, while molasses could reasonably be used like maple syrup, as a topping.

akennett
01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
How old are you?

Without looking at other answers:
30, male if that matters.
I would look in the baking goods aisle. If not there, I would shrug, scratch my head, and keep an eye out while doing the rest of my shopping.

sunstone
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
In the syrup area.

I'm 65, love the dark molasses on my pancakes, and will practically drink the stuff.

Posted without looking further than the third posting.

PastAllReason
01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I'd expect to find it in the baking area. I've found this thread surprising, because I have never (and I mean never) heard of anyone using molasses as a syrup before.

pulykamell
01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Baking, 33.

Interestingly enough, I just checked at my local grocery, and it's next to the maple and pancake syrups, along with the Karo. Baking happens to be in the same aisle, but the opposite side, all the way down.

MoodIndigo1
01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
no self-respecting Canadian would put molasses on their pancakes when maple syrup is easily available.

Galettes de sarrazin (buckwheat pancakes) however are just not right without molasses. :)

I consider it a syrup and find it next to maple syrup and jams at the store. I do use it for baking, occasionally, but have fond memories of our 4-o'clock snack in boarding school (a slice of white bread and molasses, a glass of milk- reconstituted powdered milk). You can probably guess that the boarding school didn't cater to children of the affluent classes.

The Defenestrator
01-08-2009, 08:55 PM
The last time I bought it I looked in the baked goods isle first. It wasn't there. It was next to the pancake syrups and pancake mixes, which for some reason are in the cereal aisle instead of the baked goods aisle. I think that's weird. The cereal aisle is right next to the baked goods aisle, though.

I'm 22.

Oh, and I do mostly use it on pancakes. I can't stand maple syrup, real or fake.

Sue Duhnym
01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
By the pancake syrup. I'm 38. Damn kids (get off my lawn!) don't realize it's for baking rather than eating.

Cicero
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
An old guy I knew (single) used to swear a tablespoon a day was good for your stomach. If you opened his fridge you would find a 6 pack, a bottle of rum and a can of molasses.

Bacon Salt
01-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Near the sugar and corn syrup.
I'm 22 and I don't think I've ever actually bought molasses but I have baked with it.

I guessed that older people would be more inclined to think of it more as a pancake/biscuit topping and younger people would be more inclined to think of it as only an ingredient for baked goods and the like.

Fish
01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm 37 and I look for molasses in my pantry because it's a really tasty addition to homemade barbecue sauces.

When I get more I'll start by looking in the bakery aisle (which is the same aisle as the maple syrup).

lokij
01-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Assuming I was out, I'd look in the honey, syrup, sweet thick stuff section usually near the baking supplies. I'm 32.

peedin
01-10-2009, 03:50 PM
With the syrup. I'm 51.

Leiko
01-10-2009, 04:41 PM
My general plan is to check by the sugar in the baking aisle, and if it's not there for some reason, check the pancake syrup area.

I'm 20 and really annoyed because I ran out of molasses while making schadenfreude pie on New Year's Eve and still haven't gotten a replacement. I go through a bottle of molasses every year or two from gingerbread, BBQ sauce, and ham; the New Year's Eve ham this year had no molasses because the schadenfreude pie used it all up. Brown sugar and mustard isn't the same as molasses and mustard as the glaze.

Flutterby
01-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Fresh homemade biscuits, with butter and molasses.. I get weird looks from many people when I tell them that's what I like. Mmm.

I think I'm making biscuits tomorrow.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the molasses is with the syrups, which is near the pancake mixes and iirc the coffees and teas. The baking goods are (iirc) on the other side of the aisle.. not far apart at all.

Shirley Ujest
01-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Top shelf in the syrup section. Every grocery store I've ever been to, above pancakes. ( Worked in a grocery store, so one notices these things as well.)

Female.

Leiko
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Finally bought some molasses today: it was on the bottom shelf near the end of an aisle, below (working up) the corn syrup, not-real pancake syrup, maple syrup, weird jams that don't go in the jam section at that store, and the fruit syrups. To the right were pancake mixes. To the left was an endcap, but I don't remember what it was.

kambuckta
01-12-2009, 04:31 AM
I don't think I've ever seen molasses for sale in a supermarket. :confused:

You can get it in 100L barrels at the stockfeed stores though. :D

SomeUserName
01-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Baking isle, 40.

Strangley enough I was in the baking isle last week and that is were I saw it but I was not looking it for it. I was looking for honey which after asking was by the peanut butter and jelly.

gwendee
01-12-2009, 07:02 AM
(without reading other replies):

Baking aisle (near sugar, karo syrup, etc.). Our local has Bisquik on the other side, with pancake syrup over there. Not sure which side has the Molasses.

This in reverse. I expect it to be with the syrups (I'm 40), and it is in "my" grocery store. If they decided to move it to where the sugar and other "baking needs" are it would only be a move 15 feet to the left.

I don't expect i t to be with the syrups because I use it in any syrup capacity, but because when I first looked for it and didn't find it in "baking" I learned to look for it with syrups.

ZipperJJ
01-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Can't believe it took 49 posts before SCSimmons said what I was going to say - the baking aisle and the syrup aisle are the same aisle in my grocery store, too. So you have your regular sugar, your molasses and your Karo syrup right there next to your pancake syrup and batter mixes. Huzzah!

Also, I wonder if we're going about this poll wrong. Is the molasses on pancakes thing generational or regional??

The Devil's Grandmother
01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Answering without looking: In the baking goods isle, with the flour and sugars. If it's not there, I'll check the health foods isle.
eta: I'm about 40 and live in California

Shoeless
01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Baking aisle first, then syrup*.

*Actually, the grocery store I frequent just completed a major renovation, so I'm not sure where to find anything anymore! However, after the renovation I'm pretty sure that now baking stuff and syrups are all in the same aisle! So that makes it easier...

BobLibDem
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
One place you don't want to find it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_molasses_disaster in the streets.

In the grocery store, I'd look in the baking section by the corn syrup and such.

Best Topics: airplane movie boobs sjw stupidity far side elephant nh snakes ny surrender plates metabolic byproducts british orange juice understanding joshua two step snake best budget cognac spanking in spanish reddit trashy porn bigist poop flintstone phone buy mandarin oranges coyote screams schwarzenegger height bird crash landing buy poppies opie name meaning never shut up roach prufe ingredients miss susie's steamboat unibroue pronunciation inside out oreos cop moustache chinese sarcasm mamma or momma pseudoephedrine online pharmacy auction hunter fake deviled ham wiki poster travel tube angela cavallo nose thumbing beatles songs in minor keys how to beat the akinator car shakes on startup shell no pest strip are my hands big wind up record player how to remove graffiti from brick walls will lowes cut plywood for you coca plant seeds for sale songs about reunited love pink palms of hands 3.4 l la1 v6 dc to camden yards remove spray paint from concrete driveway vibrations when braking at high speeds water main shut off wrench why do cats like bags a group of pill pushers sci-fi tools how much do miners make pleated vs non pleated air filters best man speech son to father can i use hand lotion on my face annoying ways to wrap a gift how to use a shower head sarah palin getting fucked virginia to chicago drive time another word for lame car overheating with ac on washer hose stuck on faucet arms hurt when sneezing