PDA

View Full Version : How do I find out my blood type?

curlcoat
02-20-2009, 02:28 AM
I'd like to find out if I'm a candidate to donate a kidney to a friend and apparently the first step is to find out my blood type. I can't do it thru being a blood donor because I am told I would have to give a "full bag" and since I clot like crazy, not likely to happen. I'd go to a regular lab, except I can't get them to tell me how much it would cost! Any other ideas?

x-ray vision
02-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Join the military and then read your ID card.

Oakminster
02-20-2009, 02:46 AM
It's probably listed in your medical records if you have any. Might be listed on your birth certificate...or your mother may know, if she's available. I remember doing a blood typing excercise in high school biology years ago...maybe there are kits available online?

Yup..found via google, so buyer beware, but:

http://healthhometest.com/index.php

CairoCarol
02-20-2009, 02:49 AM
If you don't mind me riding on the coattails of this thread, can I ask knowledgeable Dopers if it possible to know your blood type if you know that of both parents? My husband and I are both A+. Does this mean our son must be too, or are there other possibilities?

x-ray vision
02-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Here's a home test for about $16.
http://amazon.com/Blood-Eldoncard-Determine-blood-minutes/dp/B000G33TM2

If you don't mind me riding on the coattails of this thread, can I ask knowledgeable Dopers if it possible to know your blood type if you know that of both parents? My husband and I are both A+. Does this mean our son must be too, or are there other possibilities?
He's either A or O. Check this (http://biology.arizona.edu/Human_Bio/problem_sets/blood_types/inherited.html) out.

Leaffan
02-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Hey, good question. I have no idea what my blood type is either.

I wonder how many people do in fact know this?

Oakminster
02-20-2009, 02:54 AM
Being on a google roll tonight...(explains blood type genetic stuff)

http://classkids.org/library/classqa/bloodtyp.htm

curlcoat
02-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Join the military and then read your ID card.

I'm a little old (51) and not exactly in working order :D

curlcoat
02-20-2009, 03:10 AM
It's probably listed in your medical records if you have any. Might be listed on your birth certificate...or your mother may know, if she's available. I remember doing a blood typing excercise in high school biology years ago...maybe there are kits available online?

Not in my records or on my birth certificate and mother not available.

Yup..found via google, so buyer beware, but:

http://healthhometest.com/index.php

Wow, look at all of that! Thanks!

curlcoat
02-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Here's a home test for about $16.
http://amazon.com/Blood-Eldoncard-Determine-blood-minutes/dp/B000G33TM2

Huh, with all these choices, I wonder if a pharmacy would carry this?

curlcoat
02-20-2009, 03:13 AM
Hey, good question. I have no idea what my blood type is either.

I wonder how many people do in fact know this?

My husband does, but he is naturalized so that might be why.

x-ray vision
02-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Huh, with all these choices, I wonder if a pharmacy would carry this?
I just checked some of the major pharmacies websites and nothing showed up, so I doubt you'll find the test at your neighborhood pharmacy. It's probably not an item requested enough to bother stocking.

jabiru
02-20-2009, 03:50 AM
Become a blood donor.

Yllaria
02-20-2009, 04:24 AM
The OP states that he can't, due to clotting. I've had the blood clot up in the needle before the bag was full a time or two. Now I drink a lot of water the day or two before I donate. I can't guarantee results, but so far it's worked for me. I'm O neg and the blood bank is always after me.

While the A+A=O question has been answered, the positive and negative question hasn't been addressed. Rh negative is recessive, therefore people with positive blood can produce children with negative blood.

So two A positives can have the following children:

A+, A-, O+, or O-.

Apologies if I missed a link that mentioned that.

Nava
02-20-2009, 04:58 AM
In Spain it's the kind of test that's done in some pharmacies (generally a pharmacy that checks for glucose will check cholesterol and blood type as well). Maybe there's some in yoru area which offer that kind of service?

GuanoLad
02-20-2009, 05:21 AM
I'm AB+

Sort of rare-ish, and kind of inverse-universal. I can handle any type of blood, but only others with AB+ can have my blood.

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Other than for blood donor purposes, where the notice goes out calling for "O" donors or similar, it's not all that useful to know one's blood type. It's not a test we even run on 99.9% of our patients in a primary care setting, anyway.

If one needs a transfusion, blood typing and many, many other more sophisticated compatibility tests will be run to figure out what type of blood product to give the person at that particular time.

If you must know your type, go donate blood. You'll get a nice card with your type and your rh factor on it.

chrisk
02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm AB+

Sort of rare-ish, and kind of inverse-universal. I can handle any type of blood, but only others with AB+ can have my blood.

That would be 'universal recipient' I believe.

O negative is properly 'universal donor.'

There's no truly universal blood type, just those two extremes, so you're not inverted. Just... bloody selfish? ;)

Solfy
02-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't think blood typing is always standard procedure for new babies. Or if it's standard, it's not required. It wasn't on any of the paperwork for my daughters (both born outside hospitals), so I don't know their blood type(s). My husband doesn't know his, although there's a record of it somewhere in his medical files since he's received transfusions, so I can't even narrow it down.

When my brother was born he was typed, apparently part of protocol. I remember because his blood type is not that of either of our parents, but the nurse was quick to explain that this is totally normal don't worry blah blah blah. It seems some parents get very upset and start suspecting parentage when the types don't match up.

BrotherCadfael
02-20-2009, 01:17 PM
I once asked my doc the same question. He advised me to go to the Red Cross, give blood, and then look at the donor card mailed to me a couple of weeks later.

I think he was just promoting blood donation.

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I once asked my doc the same question. He advised me to go to the Red Cross, give blood, and then look at the donor card mailed to me a couple of weeks later.

I think he was just promoting blood donation.
What, you didn't read my post?

BrandonR
02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Here's an even cheaper blood typing test (http://thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/8f3d/) for $9, although I somehow messed my test up when I was trying to determine my blood type so I'm still in the dark...

outlierrn
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=curlcoat;10851731]
I can't do it thru being a blood donor because I am told I would have to give a "full bag" and since I clot like crazy, not likely to happen.
[QUOTE]

I don't understand this. they certainly don't NEED a full bag to do the test, were you clear about the purpose of your request? They may require a form from the organ donor service, but it should be doable. Alternatively, the organ donor sevice may be willing to cover and outpatient lab test, good luck.

brossa
02-20-2009, 03:04 PM

My mother was a middle school science teacher in the days before universal precautions, and she would have her students type themselves in class. She stopped doing that after a few years because there was always at least one kid who came up and said something along the lines of "I don't get it, my mom is O and my dad is AB but I'm O. How can that be?"

Jenaroph
02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Become a blood donor.
Read the OP.

Washoe
02-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Read the OP.

Perhaps curlcoat could nibble on a tiny portion of rat poison before donating? :D

OK, yeah, I know—not funny. Just ignore me.

GuanoLad
02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
...so you're not inverted.Are you sure? I am in Australia.

Apricot
02-20-2009, 08:58 PM
It's a simple blood test. Just ask your doctor to do it. It's less than $50.

One thought - I think the testing to check compatibility for marrow donation is only $80 or so (from memory) - why not just do the whole enchilada?

I don't trust the ELDON cards that are most commonly used for home testing - too many instances of the lab test not lining up with the result (pregnant women in this case).

BrotherCadfael
02-24-2009, 03:53 PM
What, you didn't read my post?Apparently not.

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Apparently not.

sobs quietly in a corner

curlcoat
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=curlcoat;10851731]
I can't do it thru being a blood donor because I am told I would have to give a "full bag" and since I clot like crazy, not likely to happen.
[QUOTE]

I don't understand this. they certainly don't NEED a full bag to do the test, were you clear about the purpose of your request? They may require a form from the organ donor service, but it should be doable. Alternatively, the organ donor sevice may be willing to cover and outpatient lab test, good luck.

I'm sure I was clear that I needed to know my blood type, so it may be that they won't do that test unless I give them a whole bag.

curlcoat
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
It's a simple blood test. Just ask your doctor to do it. It's less than $50.

If that is all it is, I'll just go do it at the lab. They couldn't tell me the price, so I wasn't willing to go in blind!

ouryL
02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I am A+. I read my medical file from my doctor.:o

outlierrn
02-24-2009, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=outlierrn;10853683][QUOTE=curlcoat;10851731]

I'm sure I was clear that I needed to know my blood type, so it may be that they won't do that test unless I give them a whole bag.

Yeah, try them again. When I registered with the bone marrow network they had me stop by my local blood back to get a specimen drawn, no charge. If the blood bank thought you were just curious I could see their point, but not if you're trying to cough up a kidney, they should bend over backward for you.

outlierrn
02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
My mother was a middle school science teacher in the days before universal precautions, and she would have her students type themselves in class. She stopped doing that after a few years because there was always at least one kid who came up and said something along the lines of "I don't get it, my mom is O and my dad is AB but I'm O. How can that be?"

Remember that song we sing 'one of these things is not like the other, which one doesn't fit?'........

Best Topics: tm levitation mecuricome antiseptic is 6ft tall belly button commercial mottled hands sas shoes discount local radio networks wearing an eyepatch vehicle undercoating cost buying mincemeat crime in antarctica richard barile mib mikey navy toasts b24 b25 convoy mccall rose in teeth cat urine detector gayer than bbq pit expos logo fedex package stolen painkiller norco i hate traveling voluntary institutionalization arlo guthrie republican fuck a sheep pitbull taser tranquilizers for cats don't be obtuse alton brown jerk translate no mas timer recorder why do soap operas look weird c iterate through array top 10 terms of endearment paul mccartney hands across the water clever answers to how are you can squirrels get rabies how to make sugar pills is it necessary to flush coolant teacher teacher floating down the delaware french foreign legion hats furniture end of bed hillary clinton message board led christmas lights flicker purpose of tracer rounds what does a 110v outlet look like presidents of the united states lyrics the devil is beating his wife origin bank of america signature guarantee george foreman grill sandwich press who has right of way u turn or right turn how much is butane at walmart driving from usa to south america dental deep cleaning scams elephant foot umbrella stand innovative performance chip/power programmer review do taste buds grow back if you cut them off dead termites on floor surgical tubing home depot vintage beer trucks for sale is john dye gay deep fry frozen burrito car alarm won't turn off