PDA

View Full Version : Words in movies that aren't in them, like "Ewok" and "X-Wing"

RickJay
03-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I know the thread title sucks. Let me explain.

In the thread on why people hate George Lucas an article is linked in which the author claims the Ewoks were added to "Return of the Jedi" purely to sell toys, and as proof of their being a merchandising device he offers as proof the fact that we all know what Ewoks are, even though that word is never spoken in the film.

Now, to be honest, I'd swear C3PO says "Ewoks" at least once, but maybe he doesn't.

But "Star Wars" has these too - the X-Wing Fighter and its nemesis, the TIE Fighter. It seems to me everyone in the world knew what an X-Wing and a TIE Fighter were about ninety seconds after the movie's premiere. But the terms "X-Wing" and "TIE Fighter" are never uttered in "Star Wars." "X-Wing" is not heard until the following movie (and then only once) and "TIE Fighter" is never uttered until "Return of the Jedi." I can only conclude we all knew they were X-Wings and TIE Fighters because the toys hit the shelves pretty hard in 1977.

The Empire Strikes Back, of course, even has a character example; Boba Fett, who is never named in the film. He's named in Return of the Jedi, but every kid knew his name long before then 'cause of the toys.

Are these examples of such things becoming very commonly known by their names even though the names were never used in the films? I don't mean some obscure Jedi from a crappy Star Wars novel who appears briefly onscreen in "Attack of the Clones," I mean something even my Mom knows. My Mom knows what an Ewok and an X-Wing fighter are. What other examples are there?

WordMan
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
There's gotta be a Harry Potter He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named joke in there.

I do hear you though - when Star Wars came out when I was 12, I knew about all that geekery within seconds. Can't remember how - I got some Official Sketchbooks with Joe Johnston's (??) drawings that named a bunch of things, but can't remember when that was published relative to the movie release...

Was Arnold's terminator model named in the first movie?

Don Draper
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Actually Bobba Fett first appeared in the much-mocked "Star Wars Christmas Special." He's the villain in the animation sequence, and I think his name gets mentioned there. (Of course, no one can blame you for blocking that detestable production out of your memory.)

From the Warner Brother cartoons: the martian that Bugs Bunny (and later Duck Dodgers) clashed with - although he's commonly called Marvin the Martian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_the_Martian), he was never actually called that until about 30 years after his initial appearances.

Same goes for Michigan J. Frog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_J._Frog).

Bijou Drains
03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Trivia: Many Star Wars toys did not come out in 77, they sold empty boxes at Christmas because they could not meet the demand. The box gave you a coupon for the toy when it finally came out.

Valgard
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I think a number of your examples show up right in the credits - "Jeremy Bulloch as Boba Fett", "Ewok Warriors...", that kind of thing, so lots of people would know the who's and what's before they left the movie. A lot of reviewers seem to have that terminology handy as well, perhaps fed by studio synopses in addition to the credits.

johnspartan
03-27-2009, 03:52 PM
May not quite be the same thing, but at least in the same spirit.

Despite the fact that much of Diamonds are Forever takes place in Las Vegas, nobody ever actually says "Las Vegas" or even "Vegas" in the movie.

RealityChuck
03-27-2009, 03:53 PM
From the Warner Brother cartoons: the martian that Bugs Bunny (and later Duck Dodgers) clashed with - although he's commonly called Marvin the Martian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_the_Martian), he was never actually called that until about 30 years after his initial appearances.

Same goes for Michigan J. Frog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_J._Frog).For that matter, Bugs Bunny appeared in several cartoons before being named.

The Pink Panther was introduced in the movie The Pink Panther, but the movie referred to a jewel, not the cartoon character.

Bijou Drains
03-27-2009, 03:54 PM
The Skipper on Gilligan's Island was Jonas Grumby but I don't know if that name was ever said on the show.

Intergalactic Gladiator
03-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Was Arnold's terminator model named in the first movie?

Yes, there was a scene where Reese is naming models and explains how close to human they are -- sweat and bad breath and all.

h.sapiens
03-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Another Warner Brothers character that wasn't named in the first short he appeared in isGossamer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossamer_(Looney_Tunes)).

WordMan
03-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, there was a scene where Reese is naming models and explains how close to human they are -- sweat and bad breath and all.

Oh, that's right - Reese does say something about "the new model x (800 or something, right?) which was much closer to human..."

Thanks!

kenobi 65
03-27-2009, 04:17 PM
The Skipper on Gilligan's Island was Jonas Grumby but I don't know if that name was ever said on the show.

Only in the pilot. The Professor's name was stated in the pilot, too, never to be heard again.

Skywatcher
03-27-2009, 04:22 PM
The Skipper on Gilligan's Island was Jonas Grumby but I don't know if that name was ever said on the show.Only in the pilot. The Professor's name was stated in the pilot, too, never to be heard again.That's not really the pilot (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/nonames.asp).

HeyHomie
03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Only in the pilot. The Professor's name was stated in the pilot, too, never to be heard again.

To expand a bit, the voice on the radio identifies the characters (not necessarily in order) as:

The Skipper, Jonas Grumby
His first mate, Gilligan*
Millionaire Thurston Howell III
His wife, Lovey*
Movie star Ginger Grant
Nebraksa farm girl Mary Ann Summers
Professor Roy Hinkley

*In his book, Bob Denver insists that Gilligan's first name was supposed to be Willy, but that it was deliberately never mentioned on the show. However, in his book, Sherwood Schwartz claims that Bob is wrong, and that he (Schwartz) deliberately wanted it to be ambiguous as to whether Gilligan was the character's first name or last name. Schwartz even stated that he and Denver argued about this decades after the show went off the air.

*Likewise, Mrs. Howell was not supposed to have a name. According to Sherwood Schwartz, Lovey was a term of affection, not a name. However, in one episode she was referred to on the radio as Eunice Wentworth Howell.

Robot Arm
03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Another Warner Brothers character that wasn't named in the first short he appeared in isGossamer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossamer_(Looney_Tunes)).I was watching a game show years ago. The way it was played was they had a board with twelve names on it; eight of them were correct (for whatever the category was) and four were bogus, and you had to bid how many you could get right. One category was Warner Brothers cartoon characters. Now, I bow to few men when it comes to WB cartoon trivia, but I could only find seven.

Do you know who Hippity Hopper is?

Annie-Xmas
03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Carol Tyler Martin would only be named in the first show. Consequently she and her three daughters, the whole bunch, would use the last name "Brady."

Skywatcher
03-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Do you know who Hippity Hopper is?The kangaroo that Sylvester keeps confusing for a giant mouse.

Thudlow Boink
03-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Do you know who Hippity Hopper is?He's a really big mouse. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippity_Hopper)

LawMonkey
03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
My personal favorite from Star Wars: The Stormtrooper who picks up a random bit of junk out of the desert, holds it up, and says, "Look sir, droids!" That guy, with his single line, has a name: Davin Felth. I'm not sure if it appears in the credits or not--if not, it may not quite fit into this category.

(Better still, the guy he says "Look sir, droids!" to also has picked up a name: Mod Terrik.)

ChrisBooth12
03-27-2009, 06:30 PM
My personal favorite from Star Wars: The Stormtrooper who picks up a random bit of junk out of the desert, holds it up, and says, "Look sir, droids!" That guy, with his single line, has a name: Davin Felth. I'm not sure if it appears in the credits or not--if not, it may not quite fit into this category.

(Better still, the guy he says "Look sir, droids!" to also has picked up a name: Mod Terrik.)

The best part is that guy is probably still getting royalties from that one line.

MovieMogul
03-27-2009, 06:46 PM
In the spirit of the OP, I'm pretty sure the word Tatooine is never uttered in the original Star Wars, either. The closest it comes to is here:C-3PO: As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure which planet I'm on.

LUKE: Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from.And of course, Leia does lie to Tarkin about the Rebel base being on Dantooine, but the first time you hear Tatooine, IIRC, is toward the very end of Ep.V as well.

Leaper
03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I was watching a game show years ago. The way it was played was they had a board with twelve names on it; eight of them were correct (for whatever the category was) and four were bogus

Wipeout, hosted by Peter Tomarken.

dangermom
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
And with the Ewoks, somehow I knew the names of the star Ewoks too, though they certainly didn't say any names in Return of the Jedi. (My kids watched it yesterday, so I know for sure!) The central Ewok was named Wicket.

Of course, we also had the truly awful TV movie, The Ewok Adventure--I must have watched that a zillion times. We recorded it and watched it over and over, almost as much as Tron.

mobo85
03-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Trivia: Many Star Wars toys did not come out in 77, they sold empty boxes at Christmas because they could not meet the demand. The box gave you a coupon for the toy when it finally came out.

Specifically, the Kenner action figures. Kenner was not able to meet the Christmas deadline, so they sold what they called an "Early Bird Kit" which featured a stand for all twelve figures and a coupon that allowed you to get four free figures when they were available. A clever idea, and one that was really successful.

A number of cartoon characters weren't named in their first appearances, taking a while to earn their names. This U.S. copyright filing/script (http://thadkomorowski.com/2009/03/21/reward-5000-or-one-pound-of-coffee/) for Dumb-Hounded, the first cartoon featuring the character who would be known as "Droopy," refers to the character only as "Hero." (More notable is the fact that the filing refers to a joke in the cartoon that was removed in its rerelease due to its reference to World War II- a joke that no longer exists, as the original prints to all of MGM's cartoons were lost in a fire- only the reissues now exist. The reissue print proudly announces the character as Droopy.)

Jonathan Chance
03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
In the spirit of the OP, I'm pretty sure the word Tatooine is never uttered in the original Star Wars, either. The closest it comes to is here:And of course, Leia does lie to Tarkin about the Rebel base being on Dantooine, but the first time you hear Tatooine, IIRC, is toward the very end of Ep.V as well.

Just to be fair, the name Tatooine is used extensively in the novelization and the comic book at the time. My pal Scott and I mispronounced it 'Tatoooon'.

devilsknew
03-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Maybe you guys can tell me if the Phantasm (http://imdb.com/title/tt0079714/) Jawas came first, or if the Star Wars Jawas came first- 1977 Productions, releases in '78 and '79?

What's the official Phantasm designate for the Interdimensional, Dwarven, Lost Soul, Barreled Minions of the Tall Man?

devilsknew
03-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I remember the Star Wars Bubble Gum trading cards and the Star Wars Annuals and Novels filled in the Myth quite nicely in the 80's. Don't know how much Lucas had to do with Ghost writers and others (advertising execs) writing his world. I think it must be hard to fit a script in something that corrupted. Star Wars the Movie shouldn't have had any prequels or sequels, it's a standalone.

cactus waltz
03-28-2009, 06:54 AM
While we're on this subject, I have been wanting to ask something about Chewbacca -- on my school, it was a known fact that Chewbacca used a crossbow for a weapon. This could also be seen in the Super Nintendo video games. But do we ever see him actually use one? I notice he has some sort of ammunition belt but I don't think he ever uses it.

Justin_Bailey
03-28-2009, 07:55 AM
While we're on this subject, I have been wanting to ask something about Chewbacca -- on my school, it was a known fact that Chewbacca used a crossbow for a weapon. This could also be seen in the Super Nintendo video games. But do we ever see him actually use one? I notice he has some sort of ammunition belt but I don't think he ever uses it.

It was called a Bowcaster and apparently he used in all three movies. Although I think Bowcaster is another of those words, because I only remember reading it in SW novels.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bowcaster

CalMeacham
03-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Another Warner Brothers character that wasn't named in the first short he appeared in isGossamer.

But as evemn your Wikipedia link acknowledges, he WAS named in his second appearance -- and he wasnamed "Rudloph".

They only changed his name to "Gossamer" decades later.

dangermom
03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
My 8yo spent half the morning quizzing me on obscure Star Wars characters. It kind of annoyed her that I knew perfectly well who Max Reebo is. (Duh. I was born in 1973, I ate slept and breathed Star Wars for half my life, of course I know that stuff.)

LawMonkey
03-28-2009, 02:41 PM

It's a bowcaster, as Justin_Bailey explained above. I've just finished rewatching the entire Star Wars epic, and you do see him carrying and aiming it throughout the original trilogy, though you never get a really good look at it. Really, you just see enough of it to know it's not a blaster, and if you're paying very close attention, you'll notice that it looks like a crossbow of some kind. I'm not sure if he ever actually fires a shot, though.

ChrisBooth12
04-02-2009, 05:38 PM
It's a bowcaster, as Justin_Bailey explained above. I've just finished rewatching the entire Star Wars epic, and you do see him carrying and aiming it throughout the original trilogy, though you never get a really good look at it. Really, you just see enough of it to know it's not a blaster, and if you're paying very close attention, you'll notice that it looks like a crossbow of some kind. I'm not sure if he ever actually fires a shot, though.

He fires it at a bat in the "cave" i believe

Pushkin
04-02-2009, 06:44 PM
My pal Scott and I mispronounced it 'Tatoooon'.

Maybe I have some sort of brain damage, or perhaps it's just my hearing, but I always thought Lando instructed the Rebel pilots to try and take a few "typewriters" to the surface. Typewriters being some sort of certificate U insult.

Similarly, I thought the bounty hunter's name in ROTJ was "cola factor", when Chewie told Han he had landed on their skiff. Don't know why, that's just how it sounded to me. In fact, I'm not even sure if he was saying Boba Fett, he might even have been saying bounty hunter.

Morbo
04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't think they ever said "Grand Moff" Tarkin in SW - Leia called him Governor Tarkin.

I also don't think they ever said "Slave I" in ESB, nor mentioned any of the bounty hunters by name.

Miller
04-02-2009, 08:44 PM
He fires it at a bat in the "cave" i believe

I think he also shoots it at one of the speeder bikes in RotJ.

Best Topics: klingon home planet home depot maximizer stretch a hat liquid plumber toilet yoshi japanese meaning doctors cars bob vila meme ps form 4027 l'chaim pronunciation coyote deterrent master epps vocal slides hooptie cars whats an instep dark norwegians spanky meaning we accept checks teleplay definition girl age quasi vegetarian stahlhelm modern mm means time share salesman non free email markers for skin whale on someone executive bathroom warmest slippers ever gas stove smells sweet brandy excel consultants abstain votes leaning bookshelf ikea gif slower barney gumble sober glasses for distance left testicle hangs lower than right ticketmaster not working on chrome steam feature on washer teeth roots showing through gums comcast tv works but no internet erection at nude beach weedeater boat motor conversion kit why 2 passport photos ohio alternative resident educator license ashland oregon weather year round are adam and jamie from mythbusters friends dan patrick david letterman interview what does no greek mean keep raccoons out of trash were all living in amerika rammstein weight limit for loft bed can you get an std if your girlfriend drops her toothbrush in the toilet and you kiss her counting cars cast scott fired white christmas mutual i'm sure are wings white meat phone number for time and temp how much does it cost to start a car company smelling toast heart attack a grasshopper walks into a bar darth vader is luke's father reaction subaru impreza sun visor chinese character for soup and courage how to say yummy in italian fan pointing in or out of window things only sold in america old champagne safe to drink male and female conjoined twins