PDA

View Full Version : Why is my lvl 64 mage still getting defeated in low level instances?

Quintas
04-21-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm a level 64 frost mage, and i'm ready to give up on WoW. I play it only occasionally now and it generally bores me. Most of the quests at my level are group or raid. I play alone. I end up getting killed even in level 40 type instances against elite. Will it get fun again? My only option seems to be grinding away through the next few levels. Is it just a flaw in my character choice? Is the game just not designed to allow a mage to solo at higher levels?

Quintas
04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
P.S: The first person who says "You must just suck" gets cockpunched. :)

Palooka
04-21-2009, 11:08 PM
If you can chill it, you can kill it.

Mage is a bad instance class. Roll a hunter or druid if you want to do that. Mages do a lot better against world elites and other players. Go gank someone.

Roland Orzabal
04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
You're not really supposed to be able to solo instances. By the time you can, they're generally far too low level to hold anything of interest (barring certain classes who can AOE-farm for disenchant fodder and the like). Try your hand at same-level quests and enemies in the outside world, and you should fare much better. :)

ETA: At your level, you should have pretty good luck finding solo quests (or solo-able at any rate; a lot of "group" quests are) in Terrokar and Nagrand. Best of luck!

CutterJohn
04-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Mages really suck as solo characters in instances. They use up mana like its going out of style, and have little ability to self heal/mitigate damage, meaning you really have to kite stuff, but kiting is tough in a dungeon.

My brother and I both soloed Onyxia at level 80, and I think he managed to solo a level 72 dungeon as well(he has a lot more purples than I did).

Being able to solo that content depends on 2 things really.. being able to take little damage, and being able to heal to a certain degree. Mages sadly lack both, making them very poor. Paladins and hunters, on the other hand, both have self healing(well, pet healing for the hunter), and very good damage absorption. My brothers pally managed to solo a level 70 instance at level 80(with a bunch of purples), and we can both down Onyxia np.

Shamozzle
04-22-2009, 07:01 AM
You are trying to do something virtually impossible. Don't use it as your acid test.

Pithy Moniker
04-22-2009, 08:48 AM
At 64, you'd be better served doing the quests in one of the Outland zones. They give great experience and some pretty good rewards and will take you all the way to level 70. At 70, move on to the outdoor zones from the Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

It's been several months since I played but my tactic for soloing as a frost mage was to make sure Ice Barrier (hotkey this) and Frost Armor were up at all times. Open up your attack with a frost bolt to slow the creature's walking speed. Hit it with another as soon as you can and a third if you can manage it before it makes it to you. Then, use your insta-cast fire spell. (Fire blast?) and follow that up with a Frost Nova to root the guy in place.

Then, strafe away. You move faster strafing than you do simply backing up. Try to get to the edge of your casting range and start blasting it again with frost bolts. Repeat as necessary.

smiling bandit
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I've seen people do that with Mages, but it's difficult. Mages have a very low fudge factor, so you may just need a lot of practice.

BTW people, don't underestimate grinding. Lots of people may have good resons for soloing instances, even pre-level cap. Maybe they want certain drops or goodies to sell or craft with.

Airk
04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Alternative you, could just quit WoW. That's what I did when I realized that, as a solo game, it's not really very good. If you play with other people, that's great, but as a game to play by yourself, you can do better.

Who_me?
04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Alternative you, could just quit WoW. That's what I did when I realized that, as a solo game, it's not really very good. If you play with other people, that's great, but as a game to play by yourself, you can do better.

It may have changed, I quit before either expansion, but I found my guild getting on my nerves begging me to group with them, taking away from my soloing. WoW was a great soloing game.

Airk
04-22-2009, 05:07 PM
It may have changed, I quit before either expansion, but I found my guild getting on my nerves begging me to group with them, taking away from my soloing. WoW was a great soloing game.

Dunno. I could only handle so many "Go here, and bring me 8 doodads for a new widget!" quests before I realized "This is really stupid. I'm doing the same thing over and over again so I can get a new ability to let me do it over and over again more." It fundamentally doesn't matter if you're level 70 or level 10 except that your list of toys is a little longer. You're still fundamentally doing the same thing in a world with no emotional investment. It's not as if you hit a certain level and the game magically changes and becomes new and fun again, you just get the occasional sparkly new toy that will amuse you for somewhere between ten minutes and two hours and then it's back to the grind hoping the next sparkly toy will amuse you.

I guess if you're into PvP that's another matter, but again, that's interacting with other people. WoW is fundamentally too shallow to hold my attention solo. YMMV though. I wouldn't even have mentioned this if the OP hadn't sounded kinda dissatisfied.

Broomstick
04-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm a level 64 frost mage, and i'm ready to give up on WoW. I play it only occasionally now and it generally bores me. Most of the quests at my level are group or raid. I play alone. I end up getting killed even in level 40 type instances against elite. Will it get fun again? My only option seems to be grinding away through the next few levels. Is it just a flaw in my character choice? Is the game just not designed to allow a mage to solo at higher levels?
Are you aware of the Great Talent Point Refunds?

Lately, everyone has had their talent points refunded. Hit Ctrl-N and see if you need to reassign any. Won't cure all your ills, but it may have a positive effect if you fix your talent trees.

Quintas
04-23-2009, 06:32 PM
yeah my talent tree looks pretty good. I started the game and played up till about lvl50 as a fire mage. Then I paid my trainer to refund my points and switched to a Frost. With the free refund they just did, I was considering going Arcane. Any experiences solo'ing an Arcane Mage?

Max the Immortal
04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I quested from 70 to 80 as arcane; it shouldn't be too different at level 64. Slow allowed me to solo a fair number of group quests, but after a point (late Dragonblight) many elites are immune. Of course, you're not really supposed to be able to solo elites, so don't feel bad if you can't. Downtime as arcane wasn't bad, but I had a fair bit of spirit on my gear and regen mechanics have been altered several times since I was leveling.

There should be more than enough quests for you to solo in Outland. I believe that you can start questing in Northrend at 68. Don't worry about dungeon or raid quests before then.

aktep
04-24-2009, 01:45 PM
What instances are you getting killed in? Are you dying to trash or bosses?

Remember that the encounters in instances are balanced around a plate wearing class taking all the damage while receiving healing. You're wearing cloth and are pretty much limited to getting healing from a potion or evocate, if you have the glyph and the time to channel it mid-fight. A lot of the higher level WoW-Classic instances have very difficult trash pulls that can even wipe a group of 80s if not done right.

As a mage, for the soloing trash pulls you'll need to limit the hits you take. Sheep-freeze-nuke-ice barrier-nuke-evocate-freeze-nuke-drink-repeat. For bosses, you'll probably just have to wait until you have enough firepower to get them before they get you.

Pleonast
04-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Only some classes can solo instances well. First, the hybrid classes:Paladins--plate armor and healing
Shamans--mail armor and healing
Druids--bear form and healingThey can take the hits and heal themselves.

Next, Hunters can do it too. Their pet will tank and can be healed, and if things go bad, feign death works as a reset button.

Last, Death Knights have enough armor and self-healing that they should be able to handle most encounters.

Others classes can't easily clear instances, although a good player can probably do most. Rogues can easily stealth around and take out a few choice bosses. Cloth classes (Mage, Warlock, Priest) are simply too squishy when it comes to taking hits. Even much lower level bosses will cut you down. Warriors have great mitigation, but will have trouble with getting worn down eventually.

Mekhazzio
04-25-2009, 07:12 PM
The video is probably still on youtube of a pair of level 60 frost mages duoing level 60 instances back in the BWL days. I watched their entire run of Scholomance - it was pretty impressive. Sure, their gear was fantastic, but they played it fabulously. No invisibility, no water elemental, no mirror images, and a great number of bosses who were immune to slows and hit Really Really Hard (tm). They just used terrain, timing and teamwork to not get hit much, if ever.

At level 70, I saw more than a few videos frosties soloing Stratholme, going for the Baron's horse. Alliance have some sort of obsession with the skeletal horse...maybe had, now that there's so many DKs running around.

An instance more than 20 levels below you? Doable. Maybe not as trivially easy as it is for a tank class, but definitely not impossible. The bosses can present difficulties, but when you've got polymorph, quick-recharging Frost Nova and a large arsenal of potent chilling spells....you can generally whittle down any group you want without giving them a chance to do anything at all about it.

And all those "group" quests? For a frost mage? If you can slow it, you can kill it. Just because they say 3 people are recommended, doesn't mean you _need_ them. My fire mage soloed every group quest in Outland, only making exceptions for Durn and the Shadowmoon Valley killers (Ruul, etc)

Infovore
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
As a level 64 mage, you should be able to easily solo a level 40 instance. That doesn't mean you suck if you can't, of course--it probably just means that you're not going about it in the correct way. Level 40...so are you talking about one of the Scarlet Monastery wings (Cathedral, maybe) or Uldaman?

SM Cathedral should be no problem for you. Most of the pulls, if you're careful, should be no more than 3 mobs. Pull with Polymorph (putting the poly target as your focus so you can re-apply as needed) and then use your frost nova judiciously. AoE is your friend here--improved Blizzard does a lot more damage than it used to, and it can root as well. Once those mobs are dead, then deal with the poly. Also, use your Ice Barrier and your elemental.

Uldaman might be a little nastier--lots of non-linear pulls and it's easy to grab too many mobs at once. It's still doable, but you have to be really careful. Depending on your level of gear, the bosses shouldn't be a big problem--even the last one is mostly a pushover.

If you wouldn't mind, could you post your Armory? My main is an Ulduar-raiding mage--I or someone else who's mage-savvy might be able to offer you some tips for gearing or speccing.

5-HT
04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Last, Death Knights have enough armor and self-healing that they should be able to handle most encounters.

I've never played this game, but just from the name alone its clear that Death Knight is the way to go.

Quintas
04-27-2009, 11:37 PM
If you wouldn't mind, could you post your Armory? My main is an Ulduar-raiding mage--I or someone else who's mage-savvy might be able to offer you some tips for gearing or speccing.

I'll post it when I get home. Thats another problem. I buy my gear at AH and am buying what appears to have the highest armor for my level, but when I was in Stormwind the other day, i was talking to a few people and was told my gear is suited for a lvl 40 mage. I was told the best place to get gear for my level is in instances. :smack:

Quintas
04-28-2009, 02:23 AM
is there an easy way to let you see my characters gear and stats aside from writing it all down and retyping it here?

Rigamarole
04-28-2009, 02:44 AM
The point of WoW is that it's an online game, therefore a social one. You can level up solo just fine, but instances are for groups. The end game is all about grouping and raiding.

Rigamarole
04-28-2009, 02:45 AM
is there an easy way to let you see my characters gear and stats aside from writing it all down and retyping it here?

Yes. Just look yourself up on the Armory (http://wowarmory.com/).

Quintas
04-28-2009, 03:54 AM
Yes. Just look yourself up on the Armory (http://wowarmory.com/).

ok. here's my character: actually im lvl 63...

http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azuremyst&n=Mannanon

The Lurker Above
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM

I notice that you've only done 5 quests in Hellfire Peninsula.

Honestly, doing the quests there and in Zangermarsh and equiping any cloth quest rewards would be an upgrade to anything you have on, except maybe for your belt. There is nothing, gearwise, for you in any instances that aren't in Outlands.

'Of Spellpower' greens are okay, but if you don't have the hit points or mana it won't do you as much good as quest rewards or 'of the Invoker' gear.

I'll leave it to those more experienced with mages to give more specific advice

Ferret Herder
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Not very mage-experienced, but...

* Fix your gear! A little more combat and a lot of that is going to be "broken", meaning you will get no effect from any of it.

* The Argent Dawn Commission does nothing for you if you aren't in the Plaguelands or in Scholo/Strat. Ditch it in the bank. There's a quest chain or two in Hellfire that give good trinkets.

* Do those Hellfire quests. You don't even have to go into the dungeons there to get good gear. My warlock upgraded her staff alone three or four times before leaving the zone, just from quest rewards, not to mention the green drops off monsters. If you're bored or the ones left are group quests that you can't find groups for, move to Terokkar or Zangarmarsh, do some quests there for a while.

* Don't be a slave to item name color. If a blue or purple item you're wearing is honestly better than a new green item, then keep the old one, but be very careful in those stat comparisons so you don't screw yourself out of something good just because you're thinking that blue/purple must be better.* The jump from the original game to the Burning Crusade/Outland gear is especially true for this - a quote at the time when that game expansion was released was "Green is the new purple". Meaning, people were selling their old uber-powerful blue and purple items to vendors in favor of the new green loot they were getting from quests and trash.

* Professions: I note that you have a little Enchanting and pretty much no Inscription. These professions aren't doing you any good. Unless this is a recent changeover and you have another character who is feeding this character herbs, that Inscription skill will go nowhere. Options are: 1) drop Enchanting and pick up Herbalism, then go run around the old world and work on your flower-picking (I did this with my Death Knight) to then level your Inscription, 2.) drop Inscription and pick up another skill to complement Enchanting - a common combo is Tailoring, so you can disenchant any green-name item that you made just to raise Tailoring, and then you use those disenchantment products to raise enchanting. (Otherwise you're stuck buying/farming a lot of low-level green magic items off lowbie mobs, to raise your enchanting, or spending a lot of money on materials. At least with Tailoring you're just farming low-level cloth pieces.) It sounds like you want/have to be self-sufficient, so I would personally lean towards the Enchantment + Tailoring combo so you can enchant your own gear.

* Secondary professions: Farming lots of cloth for Tailoring might be a good idea because you appear to have a 0 in First Aid, which also requires a lot of cloth. First Aid is important! You can slap a bandaid on yourself during a long fight when you've already blown your potion cooldown; this might save your butt when soloing (you've got the mob sheeped/iced and have a sliver of health) or in dungeons when the healer is low on mana and has to choose between healing the mage or healing the tank keeping the monsters off everyone else at the moment. You can also slap a bandaid on that healer who's not healing him/herself that well in favor of others. Cooking can be lovely to learn too - you can cook up your very own buff-giving food for yourself. (This will require killing a lot of low-level animals, usually, though the basic Spice Bread recipe with ingredients off vendors will get you maybe 50 pts to start out.)

That's a lot of info, but the main points are to do those Hellfire quests, and to fix your stuff!

* I have a guildie who is, well, an airhead. She doesn't play that much so I don't blame her for not being all "hardcore" or whatever, but some things she just doesn't think about. In her mid-70s her priest was wearing a purple-name cloak from Karazhan, the level 70 end-of-Burning-Crusade dungeon. A cloak with defense and armor, not a caster cloak. Even after I sent her a lovely blue-name caster-friendly cloak for free from my tailor character. A friend of hers had to talk a little sense into her about how even though it sounds like a good idea, a warrior-type cloak will not really help her do her job, and that lvl 70 purple does not always/often beat lvl 76+ blue.

Infovore
04-28-2009, 04:09 PM

Cool, thanks for posting this. Folks have given you some good advice; let me add some more. First, your gear:

Head: Not bad. Could be better, but not bad. Generally the single-stat items are inferior to those with more stats on them. I would look for items "Of the Sorcerer" or "Of the Invoker" if you can find them in your AH.

Neck: How long have you been wearing that? It looks like a low level item. You can easily replace it--can't remember if jewelcrafters can make better, but ask around. The Nature Resistance is essentially useless to you.

Shoulders: Those are healer shoulders. "Of the Whale" items aren't even very prized by healers, but definitely bad for mages. You want spellpower, intellect, crit, stamina...spirit is important but for leveling it's secondary to the others.

Cloak: Yeah, it's blue. But you're wasting itemization on Fire Resistance. Get yourself a cloak with spellpower, intellect, stamina, crit...

Chest: See comment on hat. And the +25 health enchant is okay, but +stats would be better.

Bracers: Not bad, but you have a +Defense enchant on them. Defense if for tanks. Nobody else needs it.

Weapon: Waaaay too low level. Get thee to Thrallmar (oops--you're Human--Honor Hold) and do the opening Hellfire Peninsula quests. There's one chain that rewards an item called "The Staff of Twin Worlds." It makes that thing you're using now look like a twig, and it's not hard to get at all at your level.

Wand: er...what wand? Get yourself a wand. You won't use it much offensively, but you can stack some more stats on it.

Gloves: Now we're getting somewhere. Those aren't bad. Again, though, the enchant is all wrong. Mages don't enchant for armor. We're glass cannons. If things are hitting us, we're doing it wrong. :)

Belt: Fine. Correct level, good itemization.

Pants: See commentary on hat and chest.

Boots: Those are fine too.

Ring: Not bad.

Other ring: That's a healer ring. Mages don't generally itemize for MP5. Go to Falcon Watch in HFP and do the quest chain there that will get you a nice ring (it's the one that sends you out to retrieve the researcher's backpack). (Edit--this one won't work...just realized you're human. But there's probably an Alliance equivalent).

Trinkets: Um...no. The Argent Dawn commission is useful only when you're killing undead, and the Mark of Resolution is a melee trinket (or a PvP trinket at best, for a caster). Do you have any others? Even the Carrot on a Stick would be better than the Argent Dawn commission for questing.

Okay, Talents.

First of all, why did you put 5 points into improving your Fireball when you're a Frost mage? You shouldn't even be using Fireball, except on Frost immune mobs or when you get a Brain Freeze proc, at which point the normal one is fine.

Here's an alternative to try: http://wowhead.com/?talent#oZZiIccksu0Rzgrst

That's just a quick and dirty version, so feel free to move the points around some if you prefer--but I would suggest not taking the talents I didn't put any points into. Again, mages are focused on damage, and Frost mages are very good at controlling mobs--Frost Nova, Ice Barrier, freezing targets with your attacks--you might not kill them as fast as a Fire mage, but they'll take a lot longer to get to you so it evens out. I've played both, and they both have their advantages.

Anyway, see what you think. And if you do take Brain Freeze, be sure to train yourself to look for the icon that indicates you get a free Fireball, or get an addon like PowerAuras to pop something up on your screen to show you.

Good luck, and hope this helps! :)

Infovore
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh, replying to myself...one more thing: your glyphs.

Why do you have a glyph of Fireball when you're a Frost mage? :P

I would suggest for Major glyphs you get Frost Nova and Water Elemental (note: don't get Frostbolt--it's a great raiding glyph, but for soloing it's not so good since it removes the slow effect from your Frostbolt and you're going to want that).

For Minor glyph, get Slow Fall--nice not to have to use Light Feathers. Glyph of the Penguin is cute, but that's purely cosmetic. For leveling, the Glyph of Frost Armor would be nice too.

Quintas
04-29-2009, 02:08 AM
I added points to fire because I had maxed out my frost points and thought maybe i'd like a fireball. As to my glyphs, I forgot about that. I built my character as a fire mage and then switched to frost.

As for the rest of the advice. Thanks. But you're talking about colored items and places to get them. The WoW world is so big, I have not even noticed that certain things can only be gotten in certain places. This is probably due to the fact that, as others have pointed out, it's supposed to be a group game.

I was looking at the Blizzard WoW site at a mage build that had a whole set of epic gear with insanely high stats. Are there people playing that actually have all that stuff? I'm guessing it must be rare, cuz if you go to auction house, many things are not for sale, even assuming the person had the insane amount of gold that would probably be charged for it.

Infovore
04-29-2009, 02:31 AM
As for the rest of the advice. Thanks. But you're talking about colored items and places to get them. The WoW world is so big, I have not even noticed that certain things can only be gotten in certain places. This is probably due to the fact that, as others have pointed out, it's supposed to be a group game.

True...though most if not all of the items I suggested to you can be obtained from quest rewards (quests that can be soloed) or from the Auction House. I don't know what green items sell for on your server, but on mine you can usually get all sorts of cool green-quality gear for less than 10g each.

I was looking at the Blizzard WoW site at a mage build that had a whole set of epic gear with insanely high stats. Are there people playing that actually have all that stuff? I'm guessing it must be rare, cuz if you go to auction house, many things are not for sale, even assuming the person had the insane amount of gold that would probably be charged for it.

Most likely what you saw was a raiding mage--in order to get the best epics, you either need to raid (which requires getting together with 9 or 24 other people to go into special raid instances where the bosses are a lot harder but drop better gear) or to be very good at PvP (battlegrounds) where you can earn honor points that let you buy PvP gear. Unfortunately, though, most of that requires that you be max level. There are raids for level 60s, but the quality of the gear is not all that good anymore--Outland greens are actually better in many cases. There are several raids you can do at level 70, and if you get some 80 friends to go along with you, you can do them with much fewer than the required number of appropriately leveled folks. But again, that requires grouping. My mage is a raider and he's got some pretty good gear, but I spend a lot of time playing. Here he is (http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackwater+Raiders&n=Sildarath), if you want to take a look.

For someone who prefers solo play, your best bet for epics is probably to level your Tailoring skill and make them yourself. There are several very nice epics (for example, the level 70 Spellfire or Frozen Shadowweave set) that you can make for yourself with items that you can farm or buy at the AH--no raiding or grouping required.

Infovore
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Replying to myself again: I realized this morning when I was thinking about this that you don't actually *have* Tailoring, so leveling your Tailoring wouldn't currently be a good solution. :) However, I do reiterate what other posters said about considering dropping Inscription for Tailoring, since your Inscription is still so low. Tailoring is a great profession for a mage (especially one that likes to play solo) and it meshes very well with Enchanting.

SteveG1
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
If you can chill it, you can kill it.

Mage is a bad instance class. Roll a hunter or druid if you want to do that. Mages do a lot better against world elites and other players. Go gank someone.
If you can chill it.

Frost.

You need to play keep away. You need to kite. You need to take control of the fight. If you get an add, sheep it immediately if you can. I will assume you are frost, and have the frost elemental. When I am expecting a tough fight, I use "him".

Summon the elemental. pop trinkets and icy veins. Use the "long distance frost nova" that the elemental has. let the elemental take the initial threat. Then start using my frostbolt/icelance shatter combos and my own frost nova.

And play Keep Away, while keeing your shield and ice barrier up.

The above is assuming you have certain ablilties - it's been a while since I was youre level and my memory isn't perfect.

SteveG1
04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Only some classes can solo instances well. First, the hybrid classes:Paladins--plate armor and healing
Shamans--mail armor and healing
Druids--bear form and healingThey can take the hits and heal themselves.

Next, Hunters can do it too. Their pet will tank and can be healed, and if things go bad, feign death works as a reset button.

Others classes can't easily clear instances, although a good player can probably do most. Rogues can easily stealth around and take out a few choice bosses. Cloth classes (Mage, Warlock, Priest) are simply too squishy when it comes to taking hits. Even much lower level bosses will cut you down. Warriors have great mitigation, but will have trouble with getting worn down eventually.
Actually, warlocks can. Affliction locks can drain tank, demo locks with a felguard have their own personal tank. They just have to be smart, and not get too many bad breaks. They also have to know that some rooms are NOT a good place to seed everything :D

SteveG1
04-29-2009, 11:24 AM
I'll post it when I get home. Thats another problem. I buy my gear at AH and am buying what appears to have the highest armor for my level, but when I was in Stormwind the other day, i was talking to a few people and was told my gear is suited for a lvl 40 mage. I was told the best place to get gear for my level is in instances. :smack:
Tailoring. Frozen Shadoweave. It's the shiznit if you are frost. If you are fire or arcane, there are other pieces that are craftable.

Armory my mage (Popgunn, on Moonrunner) for a decent frost build. Armory my priest (Queron on Moonrunner) to see the Frozen Shadow gear. Then fix your spec and get/make the gear.

Critical1
04-29-2009, 03:12 PM
aside from all the other great advice I just want to second/third/500and34th Work Your First Aid. at your level you can bandage for something like 3khp (maybe more, its been a long time since I played) and I am willing to bet you have died many times when a well timed bandaid would have turned the fight in your favor. I know its saved my rogues ass more than once and helped me kill quite a few mobs that should have owned my ass.

and this isnt meant to be taken the wrong way but one reason you might suck isnt because you suck its because you solo all the time, you arent getting exposed to other tricks and methods that more social players pick up from each other. so I would recommend you do some reading on your class. lots of posts on message boards and the like where people post how they did X.

Drunky Smurf
04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I tried playing mages and I totally sucked so I have no advice there. I switched over to a warlock and found that to be more inline with my playstyle and I love it.

I would recommend taking up tailoring as well. The majority of the time at least half of my gear was stuff I made for myself. I solo'd to 80 and rarely grouped and never raided so tailoring provided good gear for me.

Also once you get to 70 you can make the Frozen Shadoweave set as mentioned above. I did and wore it until 76 when I finally replaced the chest piece. So that was a great investment. Now at 80 all of my gear is stuff I made myslef. Everything but the head piece I made with tailoring and the head piece I made with engineering.

Here's my gear.
http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&n=Khevin

Redwing
04-29-2009, 04:14 PM
There are plenty of people who have all epics (and thread upon thread of why that's "ruining the game"), but almost all gear of that level is bind-on-pickup, so it never gets to the auction house.

I don't know the first thing about mages, so I can't answer class questions. I can tell you that level matters far less than gear does, though. Tailoring cannot be beaten unless you end up in hardcore raiding guild, and even then, it's close.

If you want to look up gear thottbot (http:\\thottbot.com) is a good site.

Martin Hyde
04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Actually your character's level is the single most important thing in the game until you're level 80.

Why are you trying to solo instances? That is not how the game was designed, dungeons are multi-player places.

If you really want to keep playing the game then you'll have to switch your playstyle more to things that actually work at progressing your character--otherwise your situation won't change, there's no trick that will make you better at soloing instances. Even with very good gear many classes can't solo instances at all, unless they are 20+ levels lower than them, in which case you would be getting zero experience and loot that was unusably bad for your level.

If you want to get your guy to 70+, see the Wrath expansion and see what the game has to offer at 80 you need to start questing. Go back to Hellfire Peninsula and start working on all the quests there. There are several "quest nodes" in Hellfire, if you're lost or don't remember where to get quests first head to Honor Hold, that has a good portion of the zone's quests and if you get quests from Honor Hold they lead to virtually every other quest in the zone.

The way quests work at level 70+ is they essentially guide you from quest to quest. Very few of them are one off quests, most of them lead to other quests. Read that quest log, it tells you very explicitly where to go and how to complete your quest.

Confused about a quest?

Check out WoWHead (http://wowhead.com[/url). It's a very simple site, if you have a quest and don't know how to complete it, type the name of the quest (exactly as it appears in your quest log) into WoWHead's search engine. Within seconds you'll have all the answers you need to complete the quest.

If you are adamantly against grouping with others there are options for you at level 80, primarily by doing the many Wrath daily quests and building up the reputations available. This will eventually open up lots of gear options. You can also get heavily into tailoring and farm mats to make epic quality gear for yourself at 80. You can get your character decently kitted out with nothing but solo play.

If you're a die hard soloer I definitely wouldn't recommend Lord of the Rings Online (which I tried about four months ago.) That game is very fun, but I just didn't have time to play it much after I got my char to 60. However LotRO seems to be much more group-focused than WoW. While I'm sure many people solo 1-60 in LotRO, the class I chose to play (champion) ran into some serious issues leveling up by myself. Lots of quests launch "on-the-fly" quest instances some of which are nigh-impossible to solo. It isn't like WoW where you can easily and seemlessly level 1-80 without ever being in group with another person. Like I said, I'm sure it is possible in LotRO; but if you're not able to get past 63 in WoW then you're going to have a harder time with LotRO, WoW is an easier game at least in terms of leveling up. I never did any of the big Fellowship stuff in LotRO so I can't comment as to how difficult that is.

Redwing
05-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Actually your character's level is the single most important thing in the game until you're level 80.

No, really, your gear makes a gigantic difference. Try leveling with greens more than 5 levels old in BC or Northrend, and compare that with leveling with level appropriate quest rewards, and compare that with fully twinked gear for that level.

What really brought this home to me was bringing my geared lock to 80 was quick and easy, while leveling my pally through Northrend was much slower.

Why are you trying to solo instances? That is not how the game was designed, dungeons are multi-player places.

If you really want to keep playing the game then you'll have to switch your playstyle more to things that actually work at progressing your character--otherwise your situation won't change, there's no trick that will make you better at soloing instances. Even with very good gear many classes can't solo instances at all, unless they are 20+ levels lower than them, in which case you would be getting zero experience and loot that was unusably bad for your level.

Because he wants to? There's nothing wrong with wanting to solo instances, and doing so will teach you how to get things from your class that other people can't. The best tanks I know all solo level 60 raids, and level 70 heroics, and most pet classes can do at least some of those solo as well.

As I said earlier, I don't know mages, personally. I know that they are one of the most difficult classes to solo with, having little self healing, a pet only with a certain spec, and, IIRC, on a longish cooldown, and are cloth wearers with the lowest stamina gear (my imp still ends up with more HP than a couple of our mages, when both are fully raid buffed).

SteveG1
05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
There is one other option, one that can be successful:

Get a "pocket healer". My priest used to heal for an arcane mage, and we used to 2 man Scholo just for shits and grins.

As for the easiest classes to solo an instance with, I have to pretty much go with this list:

druiid
hunter
shaman
warlock
rogue

They have ways to either abosrb the beating or simply outlast it or stealth past it. They have ways to heal through it either through mend, heal, or draining. They have an "oh shit" button for when things go wrong. The two easiest are probably druid and hunter.

Redwing
05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Paladin, prot spec solos very well. They don't do it quickly, mind you, but if they can survive 12 minutes, they can survive forever.

With a pocket healer, you're no longer soloing, and any class that can take a couple of hits will be able to complete most old content. I wouldn't want to try healing a mage through MC, mind you, but it certainly could be done.

Martin Hyde
05-02-2009, 03:55 PM
No, really, your gear makes a gigantic difference. Try leveling with greens more than 5 levels old in BC or Northrend, and compare that with leveling with level appropriate quest rewards, and compare that with fully twinked gear for that level.

What really brought this home to me was bringing my geared lock to 80 was quick and easy, while leveling my pally through Northrend was much slower.

Gear is only important once you're at max level, though. Here's the thing, an experienced player can burn through levels 1-60 in under 30 hours of playing time with ease. Then 60-70 in about 24 hours, then 70-80 in about 72 hours. All through nothing but the gear you acquire as you level up.

Can you streamline parts of it with gear? Sure, especially if you go through the effort to really get overpowered gear at very low levels (like low level green items with level 60 enchants, the Bind on Account heirloom items and et cetera) but leveling is still very, very fast if you know what you're doing.

There's also going to be variations from class to class, with the way the game is made a Hunter specced Beast Mastery can do just about anything until 80 with virtually no gear at all--that's how powerful the pet is against the weak mobs you encounter while leveling.

Anyway, the reason gear only matters at max level is because before you're getting max level gear not a single piece of gear you get has much utility in the time frame of the next few days, unless you're a very, very slow leveler. Some exceptions to this would be if you're one of those people that is only getting a character up to x level to participate in lower-tier battlegrounds or something similar. Quest greens in Northrend are better than blues out of Outland dungeons--and since dungeons have a relatively variable loot dropping mechanism you might run a dungeon 5-6 times in a row in Outland trying to get that blue item you want, when you'd be getting way more XP just questing and then in Northrend you'll have a much better item a few quests into the continent.

Because he wants to? There's nothing wrong with wanting to solo instances, and doing so will teach you how to get things from your class that other people can't. The best tanks I know all solo level 60 raids, and level 70 heroics, and most pet classes can do at least some of those solo as well.

Well here's the thing, he obviously isn't enjoying soloing these instances or he wouldn't be posting here. Most tanks I know that are soloing level 60 raids are soloing Molten Core because they never got a Thunderfury back before Burning Crusade and now the two bosses you need to kill for the bindings are soloable. After MC most of the other level 60 raid content is not soloable because of the mechanics of the fights. You can't solo BWL because the first boss requires one person to use the mind control orb on Razorgore, and all the adds that spawn will attack the mind controller and break channel if you're trying to do it solo. The first boss in AQ40 has a mind control and when a raid boss MCs you and no one else is in combat with the boss it generally resets the encounter.

These are people soloing the easiest level 60 raid for a legendary item, it's not really doing much to improve their level 80 tanking as the skill sets are very different.

Most people that are soloing level 70 heroics are doing it for the rare mount/pets for achievements, and while a challenging feat it doesn't really have much application at 80. As a tank the most important things you bring to the table is your survivability (which you learn to maximize by personal experience and reading forums that go deeper into the theory), threat gen (which you won't learn soloing since no one is trying to out threat you) and reaction time (you won't get better at taunting things off cloth wearers soloing since you're by yourself.)

But no, there is nothing wrong with wanting to solo lower level instances, or wanting to sit in Dalaran staring at the wall for 8 hours a night. It is indeed his money and his time. However from the tone of his post I got the impression he's wanting to level up and the best way to do that is to stop running low level instances by yourself and start doing quests. Blizzard has redesigned the leveling curve multiple times, they've boosted XP received from quests and this all means that the indisputably fastest way to go 1-80 is through pure questing.

As I said earlier, I don't know mages, personally. I know that they are one of the most difficult classes to solo with, having little self healing, a pet only with a certain spec, and, IIRC, on a longish cooldown, and are cloth wearers with the lowest stamina gear (my imp still ends up with more HP than a couple of our mages, when both are fully raid buffed).

Mages are great soloers if specced properly. Ideally you want to be Frost specced as you level because it allows you to control mobs better. Frost mages while leveling excel at say, pulling 6-7 of the mobs you need for a quest and AoEing them all down at once. The only real crappy thing about Mages is they don't have very many tools to get mana back, you get Evocation on a cooldown and other than that you drink a lot.

Druids, Rogues, Hunters, Warlocks, and Shadowpriests are probably the easiest classes to level to 80 because they have virtually no downtime. Warlocks/Hunters have the advantage that they can solo some of the toughest quest elites in the game with proper playing.

Martin Hyde
05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
There is one other option, one that can be successful:

Get a "pocket healer". My priest used to heal for an arcane mage, and we used to 2 man Scholo just for shits and grins.

As for the easiest classes to solo an instance with, I have to pretty much go with this list:

druiid
hunter
shaman
warlock
rogue

They have ways to either abosrb the beating or simply outlast it or stealth past it. They have ways to heal through it either through mend, heal, or draining. They have an "oh shit" button for when things go wrong. The two easiest are probably druid and hunter.

Depends on what type of instance. For any sort of old-world raid content or level 70 heroic the incoming damage, even at level 80, is so high you need some way to take the hits.

The toughest level 60 stuff I regularly hear about people soloing are some of the tougher ZG bosses like Bloodlord, and all of Molten Core. Generally it is Prot Warriors, Prot Paladins, Feral Druids, or Death Knights that can pull that sort of stuff off. Other classes can solo in MC and ZG but pretty much only tank classes can handle the toughest MC bosses solo, certain bosses in there present unique challenges to other classes. For example Gehennas puts a -75% healing debuff on you that you can only remove if you can remove curses. So that means all the tank classes aside from Druid are out of luck. However if you have the gear you can just straight up tank him down to 0 health and not have to worry about healing yourself. Alternatively you can stock up on Purification Potions.

There's a video going around of a Prot Paladin who solod every single boss in MC, and I'd wager a Feral Druid could do the same, not sure if any other classes could. On my priest I often run MC with a warrior wearing some of the best level 80 tanking gear in the game and there are still bosses he couldn't solo because of their damage output.

Nava
05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Anyway, see what you think. And if you do take Brain Freeze, be sure to train yourself to look for the icon that indicates you get a free Fireball, or get an addon like PowerAuras to pop something up on your screen to show you.

No addon needed.

ESC. Interface. Combat text. Enable floating text. Reactive spells/abilities. TADAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Quintas
05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Ok. I finally decided to start questing in Outland. I don't know why i've been avoiding it.

Now i'm having fun again. You can really rack up gold and XP in Outland. cool.

SteveG1
05-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Depends on what type of instance. ... On my priest I often run MC with a warrior wearing some of the best level 80 tanking gear in the game and there are still bosses he couldn't solo because of their damage output.
You're right, it depends on the instance AND the nature of the fights. Still, it's sure fun to try.

Ok. I finally decided to start questing in Outland. I don't know why i've been avoiding it.

Now i'm having fun again. You can really rack up gold and XP in Outland. cool.
Cool beans. You should have no problems. Just watch out for the nasty piggies (felboars), they are aggressive. Also, beware the felreaver. As big as he is, he will somehow still sneak up on you if you aren't paying attention.

Best Topics: cut skin tag orthanc height half track vehicle good disguises taiwanese alphabet hiragana ki julian may madonna abba twa 800 passengers retard having sex spell tendonitis recitation session american horns clean landscape rock sister screw tractor horsepower chart collar of esses juicing apple seeds outis pronunciation nfl primetime music buy live mink relight cigarette raliegh sc30 expired sugar japanese hair texture who originally sang barbara streisand porn shovel teeth melungeon hipster emo waxing your head religion with long hair does electric heat cause carbon monoxide why is printer in error state non blue tooth wireless headset can cashiers checks be cancelled look into the abyss should you prime drywall before painting how do people get away with credit card fraud is aarp worth the cost little caesars hot and ready guarantee ran out of gas no money elton john song levon natural beef flavor wheat and milk derivatives vending machine that takes credit cards phone is charging but losing power the abbreviation bx means original american art forms q orianka kilcher naked how to change amazon shipping preference what does fuckin a mean average height of a 2 story house mustang ranch prices 2017 going to see a man about a horse ar drone battery charger status lights stale incense old sweat and lies lies lies extraction of a root canaled tooth what is the japanese word for evil club steering wheel lock target how to put a permanent crease in pants gas stove sparking continuously west coast ball drop spousal privilege vs. marital communications hide dvd player behind tv do i need to keep old vehicle registrations dayquil side effects diarrhea