PDA

View Full Version : Why "eggs" in "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother?"

Gary T
05-18-2009, 05:30 PM
M is for mudflaps, O is for oil, T is for T-Bird, H is for Haggard, E is for eggs...? eggs? What's the significance of eggs?

silenus
05-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Without Mom's egg, it's unlikely the singer would exist?

lissener
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I actually used to know the guy who wrote that song. Well, I was 9; my mom knew him. I doubt if she still keeps in touch with him, but I'll ask my sister to ask her.

KneadToKnow
05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Without Mom's egg, it's unlikely the singer would exist?

Which only serves to make me wonder what the Father's Day song is like ...

Gary T
05-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Without Mom's egg, it's unlikely the singer would exist?True, and thanks for the guess. However, although that part of the song spells out "mother," all the items listed (including the final R for redneck) relate to characteristics of the son, so I think that's probably not it.

Gary T
05-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I actually used to know the guy who wrote that song. Well, I was 9; my mom knew him. I doubt if she still keeps in touch with him, but I'll ask my sister to ask her.I appreciate the attempt. If it pans out, it would be awesome to get such an authoritative answer.

Oslo Ostragoth
05-19-2009, 02:48 AM
I actually used to know the guy who wrote that song. Well, I was 9; my mom knew him. I doubt if she still keeps in touch with him, but I'll ask my sister to ask her.

Remind me who that is. It's on the tip of my tongue....

(headsmack) Ray Wylie Hubbard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Wylie_Hubbard)

Hal Briston
05-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Huh. I'm just now learning that it wasn't my brother who wrote that song.

He spend at least 20 years in various bands, and would occasionally send home concert recordings. When I was really little, I loved a particular tape of him playing that song --- and in standard eight-year-old logic, figured that if he was playing the song, he must've wrote it!

Enright3
05-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I always took it to mean eggs, like fresh from the farm home cooked eggs every morning for breakfast.

ElvisL1ves
05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
E has to be for something. What other possibilities are there? Earnhardt, maybe?

"Eggs" at least brings up some rednecky imagery.

silenus
05-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Maybe the songwriter had just seen Cool Hand Luke.

Bridget Burke
05-19-2009, 01:42 PM
The song was a favorite of The Lost Gonzo Band, whom I heard many times when they toured with Jerry Jeff Walker or Michael Murphey--before he added the "Martin" because there was already a famous Michael Murphy/Murphey. (I never cared for Michael, but he wrote some pretty good songs. Until "Wildfire.")

The word for "E" was originally Enema. Not that it's a specifically "redneck" word--but I think Ray Wiley Hubbard just wanted something rude. To be rude to all the rednecks who were all too glad to strum the heads of those commie-pinko-faggot-dopefiend-longhairs. (Eventually the rednecks grew their hair longer.)

Probably some record company suit didn't care for the rudeness. Thus: eggs.

Gary T
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks Bridget. By adding "enema" to a Google search, I found a few examples of the song using that word. Interestingly, there's a video of Hubbard doing the song (somewhat recently) using "eggs." Anyway, I can envision him saying "E is for enema" and thinking "you need one to flush your head out of your ass, jerk."

Bridget Burke
05-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks Bridget. By adding "enema" to a Google search, I found a few examples of the song using that word. Interestingly, there's a video of Hubbard doing the song (somewhat recently) using "eggs." Anyway, I can envision him saying "E is for enema" and thinking "you need one to flush your head out of your ass, jerk."

You're welcome. "Up Against The Wall..." is a great sing along song. But the Lost Gonzo Band (especially when backing up Jacky Jack) had lots of sing along songs--"Amazing Grace" sounded great at the end of a long evening with the band & the audience bent in various directions. Then they'd take us "Home With the Armadillo."

It took RWH a long time to live down writing that song. But he finally bettered it with "Screw You, I'm From Texas." Which is somewhat satirical--fans of the 3rd Wave Texas Singer Songwriters must scream loudly every time a song mentions the state.

I got on my cowboy boots, jeans
And Hawaiian shirt, mirrored sunglasses
And a mobile phone
I guess I look like some Port Aransas
Dope dealer that's out on bail
Just trying to get home

This bit is good:

Now Texas has gotten a bad reputation,
Because of what happened in Dallas and Waco
And our corporations well they are corrupt
And the politicians are swindlers and loco
But when it comes to music my friend
I believe these words are as true as St. John the Revelator's
Our Mr. Vaughan was the best that there ever was
And no band was cooler than the 13th Floor Elevators.

Of course, Ray Wiley Hubbard is from Oklahoma....

lieu
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Then they'd take us "Home With the Armadillo."Used to see ol' Gary P. Nunn w/ your Michael M. Murphy at Wunsche Bros. Cafe in Spring. You remember Murphy... She ran calling Wildfire.

I do believe "Elvis" might have worked as well as "eggs".

Bridget Burke
05-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Used to see ol' Gary P. Nunn w/ your Michael M. Murphy at Wunsche Bros. Cafe in Spring. You remember Murphy... She ran calling Wildfire.

I do believe "Elvis" might have worked as well as "eggs".

Naw, RWH liked Elvis. He really didn't like rednecks--back in the days before Willie Nelson raised their consciousness.

"Wildfire" is elevator music on the Elevator to Hell. Along with "Horse With No Name."

Gary T
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
"Wildfire" is elevator music on the Elevator to Hell. Along with "Horse With No Name."Amen, sister. Express Elevator to Hell, in fact. It's hard for me to reconcile that someone who wrote "Cherokee Fiddle" and "Rollin' Nowhere" could somehow come up with saccharine pap like "Wildfire."

Best Topics: walmart code 15 amish cemetery 1 pencils 3 word jokes products like proactiv rated gp heavy gravity horizontal escalator ride shotgun frankenstein electrodes skunk fur unactivated cell phone radium dials pair of pants acrylic shower door ncis smoked jesuit college definition aspergers isn't real non tomato ketchup recovering from starvation klingon lifespan does cocaine smell detective rank wolf ass fill wanted red jalape?o native american gold caboki scam breathy singing train locomotive interior cost of doritos do you need to wash your hands after peeing hyphenated last names which comes first worm drive circular saw vs circular saw fatburger vs in n out best buy car stereo free installation joey quinn dexter weight loss how to fix no bake cookies that don't set up quicken remove placeholder entry princess maker 2 silk dress weight what does a red light on a house mean raw meat on bruises maps with house numbers what are indian nuts why does brick whisper what does black truffles taste like how much is an abortion at planned parenthood in illinois 50 lb bag of rice costco how do you get silly putty out of hair sump pump discharge hose ideas water temp to kill germs death star vs starkiller rumours fleetwood mac album cover 2008 ford fusion gas mileage who makes the best brake rotors how to remove p trap without wrench are bird feathers dirty how long does it take for a pill to digest can tempered glass be drilled why do diesel engines last longer than gasoline engines how to remove deodorant buildup from clothes how to counteract sodium intake