PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair on men in their 50's. What say ye Ladies?

Mangosteen
06-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Yay or ney? (Guys can comment, too)

Broomstick
06-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Gal speaking up:

As long as it is clean, groomed, and under control I don't care. And I don't care if it's long head hair or long beard hair. Long nose hair, however, should be trimmed.

Some men, of course, look better with long hair than others.

Lynn Bodoni
06-19-2009, 07:40 PM
If it's well groomed, yes. Even balding can look OK. If you look like a member of ZZTop, no, no, no.

Use shampoo, liberally and frequently. Use conditioner, liberally and frequently. Get it trimmed neatly.

RedRosesForMe
06-19-2009, 07:44 PM
No way, on guys of any age. I think anything past ear/chin length is too long, and only certain guys can pull off any more than 2 or 3 inches of hair anyway.

I hate it, and I feel really bad rejecting potential matches on OkCupid because of it, but long hair = do not want.

Atomic Mama
06-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Long hair on guys of any age is totally fine by me.

If I had great hair, I'd grow it out ... but I don't, so I'm always looking like Julius Caesar.

Why do GUYS get the great hair? WHY :smack:

MsWhich
06-19-2009, 07:53 PM
I am eyeing MrWhatsit's fabulous mane, and doing some calculations.... yeah, he'll be 50 in about 6 years. I vote yea.

geezermom67
06-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I think long hair is great on older men as long as it's not too thin. I'm not a fan of thinning hair and very tiny little ponytails. And mullets...not on anyone, preferably.

thirdwarning
06-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Like most anything else, it works on some guys, but not on all. The too thin thing I agree with, but mostly, I'm fine with it.

Superfluous Parentheses
06-19-2009, 09:00 PM
No way, on guys of any age. I think anything past ear/chin length is too long, and only certain guys can pull off any more than 2 or 3 inches of hair anyway.
What if you've got about 6 inches of hair, but it doesn't fall down?

And I don't even use hair products...

Anaamika
06-19-2009, 09:17 PM
It only works on some guys, but clean and neat and it's acceptable. it's the nasty unwashed mane hanging in the eyes that makes me stabby - or go all mother Hen and cut it.

tesseract
06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Yikes. And: if you're also balding? Please, no. JMHO.

Sunspace
06-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Long hair + balding = HELL no. And I say this as a guy who likes long hair and had to cut my own when the balding became noticeable. Pre-balding (1992) (http://sunspace.org/swb.jpg) post-balding (recent) (http://sunspace.org/scott.jpg) :( As I get balder, my hair will probably become shorter. I haven't decided whether this is creative adaptation or just giving in...

Without balding, it's fine. Usual disclaimers for personal style, not all guys can pull it off, etc.

scout1222
06-19-2009, 11:44 PM
I dislike long hair on men of all ages. But what anyone else does is up to them. Keeping it neat and clean should be a given (though it isn't always).

elfkin477
06-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm shallow. It doesn't look good to me on guys older than their mid-30s, and my definition of what's both "good" and "long" means chin-length, max. Any older than that and I get flashbacks of a 40-something co-worker that another, older, co-worker dubbed "Fabio gone to seed" and how he hit on every woman under the age of 30. It's not fair to all older long-haired guys, but that's a hard image to shake.

SandyHook
06-20-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm 62, bald on top with a pony tail most of the way down my back and I find myself to be just too cute for words.

Yes, I do have a Harley. Why do you ask?

anya marie
06-20-2009, 03:42 AM
As long as it is maintained, and not in a ridiculous combover, i vote yes.

Renee
06-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Nay. But I don't like long hair on guys, in general.

panache45
06-20-2009, 04:17 AM
I'm 62, bald on top with a pony tail most of the way down my back and I find myself to be just too cute for words.

Um . . . I was just gonna say that it's ok, as long as you're not bald on top, with a pony tail. But if you're that cute, it's forgiven.

twickster
06-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Longish, with a full head of hair, can be very sexy -- Richard Gere didn't get truly gorgeous till he went gray -- but not too long, and not in conjunction with a bald spot or a receding hairline.

BaconAndEggs
06-20-2009, 04:08 PM
No, thank you.

Missy2U
06-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Yes, I do have a Harley. Why do you ask?

So's my husband. Well he's 51. And we DON'T have a Harley. We have a mini-van. But he's got the hot thing going too.

Kamino Neko
06-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I have no intention of ever cutting my hair off until I see how I'm going to go grey. The way it looks like I might be going, will look better short.

Once I go totally grey, I'm growing it back, though. Get the aged hippy look going on. >_>

gaffa
06-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm 48 and long hair in a ponytail down to the middle of my back. It's clean and looks OK. The main reason I have it is I just don't like wasting money on haircuts. I wash it, I pull it back, that's it.

salinqmind
06-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm a child of the 60's (and other decades) - I love long hair on anyone! As long as the hair is clean, under control, and the guy doesn't look like a derelict, why not?

Is it me, or are guys starting to grow their hair a bit longer now? I've been suffering mightily the past decade waiting for the shaved head to please, god, disappear. I always think: prison badass or cancer victim? whatever, please get away from me.

Lynn Bodoni
06-20-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm a child of the 60s, and while I love long hair on guys, a shaved head can look good on some guys...or some women. It's not my favorite look, but some guys can pull it off.

I do hope that guys will start growing their hair a bit longer, though.

Oh, and the soul patch? It doesn't look good on ANY guy that I've seen. No one looks good with one.

Mister Rik
06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Long hair + balding = HELL no. And I say this as a guy who likes long hair and had to cut my own when the balding became noticeable. Pre-balding (1992) (http://sunspace.org/swb.jpg) post-balding (recent) (http://sunspace.org/scott.jpg) :( As I get balder, my hair will probably become shorter. I haven't decided whether this is creative adaptation or just giving in...

Second this (in fact I was discussing exactly this yesterday with a coworker). I used to wear my hair long; at its longest, I had it to shoulder-length, all the way around. That was in my early 30s. One day I had a friend taking some photos of me, and he snapped one from behind. When I saw that picture, I saw a lot of long, thick hair ... and a big bald spot on the crown of my head. I had been aware that my hair was thinning up there, but as the bald spot wasn't visible from the front I had no idea how big it was. I said to myself, "That looks really stupid."

I got it cut short a few days later, and eventually just started shaving it.

Green Bean
06-20-2009, 11:47 PM
I'll put in another vote on "it depends on the guy and the hair." I generally like long hair on guys, so if it looks good, then yes, please.

I think long hair is great on older men as long as it's not too thin. I'm not a fan of thinning hair and very tiny little ponytails.Pony nubs!

I'm 62, bald on top with a pony tail most of the way down my back and I find myself to be just too cute for words.Well, I suppose it's like any other fashion no-no: if you're able to pull it off, then more power to you. :)

And if you're really too cute for words, then I'm sure we'd all like some pictorial evidence.

SandyHook
06-21-2009, 12:49 AM
And if you're really too cute for words, then I'm sure we'd all like some pictorial evidence.

Here you go.

http://golfco7thmar.com/TooCute.html

catflea12
06-21-2009, 07:47 AM
re: Sandy Hook's pix: I'm speechless!

salinqmind
06-21-2009, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=catflea12;11264378]re: Sandy Hook's pix: I'm speechless![/QUOTE

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

DianaG
06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
I suppose there are a very few men who can pull it off, but honestly my impression is usually that the person in question has just completely lost track of what year it is.

SandyHook
06-21-2009, 02:07 PM
re: Sandy Hook's pix: I'm speechless!

A commen thing when women first lay an eye on me. I choose to take it as a complement. :D

And what's this, "Sandy Hook," thing. It's, "SandyHook."

gonzomax
06-21-2009, 02:48 PM
http://paulsfunkystuff.com/2008/09/worst-comb-overs-in-modern-history.html These look very dignified. Don't you all agree?

Green Bean
06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Here you go.
http://golfco7thmar.com/TooCute.htmlNice rack, but we can't see your coiffure!

Serenata67
06-21-2009, 11:47 PM
I can't stand the Gallagher look... if you don't have it on top, don't have it in the back. It's the same principle that rules the mullet....

Best Topics: call 1888 natrual ice dog swollen nipple velocity movie guy ballerina punta spanish munchen pronunciation peo stands for painter hourly wage reunited kingdom baseball referee charmed crossover caveman beards h2o2 hybridization hog penis egg lifespan dmv eye test roadrunner eat security clearance dwi dali drugs hobby lobby dollhouses bad painting tinnitus message board ugly pregnant bellies worf brother largest gas tank entropy opposite capsaicin chemical burn robert hanssen prison 110v appliances bob seger fire insomnia and itching air force daughter baseball cap stretcher hp laser printer cleaning sheets how many award shows are there in a year is it ok to paint in the rain what is clumping cat litter snoqualmie falls pancake mix recipe difference between welding and soldering how much does it cost to resurface rotors t rowe price 401k hardship withdrawal 2012 honda civic battery amazon order shipped to wrong address expanded metal grate home depot ta ra ra boom de ay lyrics no electrical power in car kill the man with the ball do background checks show high school diploma laptop wont connect to printer uppp surgery success rate food for camping without cooking driving school manual transmission nj why are portholes round what if russia never became communist my hands felt like two balloons mouse trap didn't kill mouse what catcher has caught the most no hitters how to get your baby baptized does new skin liquid bandage work don't crap where you eat where can i buy mutton "harvard of the south" will muriatic acid damage pvc pipes plastic water shut off valve dutch influence on new york if the creek don't rise origin