PDA

View Full Version : Plural of gas?

Sailboat
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
As in atmospheric gases or gasses?

US English, please.

I could swear I'm used to seeing "gasses," but I went to look it up online and I see many places and some dictionaries happily using "gases." This seems startlingly new to me.

Is this something that's in transition, or have I been reading too many British chemistry papers, or is the Web full of nitwits?

Polycarp
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I've always seen the single -s- version in any proofread printed material.

Machine Elf
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
My wooden dictionary gives the plural as "gases." It gives the past-tense and gerund verb forms as "gassed" and "gassing", respectively.

TheMadEngineer
07-09-2009, 01:51 PM
This is a case of English not conforming to its own rules, again... personally I would prefer the spelling "Gasses" be used as it does not imply in any way a hard "A" sound should be used, however "Gases" is the correct spelling.

Shot From Guns
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Compare to bus and its plural buses. Makes you wince, but it's the official spelling.

robcaro
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
My dictionary shows "gases or gasses."

DSYoungEsq
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Both are correct. I believe the -ss- is the older way, to conform with the need to show that the "a" is pronouced as a short vowel, but the more modern way is to simply add the -s or -es regardless of syllable quality.

Mangetout
07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually, never mind

Chessic Sense
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I use "gases" as a plural noun and "gasses" as a third person singular verb.

Balthisar
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Compare to bus and its plural buses. Makes you wince, but it's the official spelling.
As was brought up in another thread, "busses" is still acceptable, and is my preferred spelling for the same reason that "gasses" is my preferred spelling. I'm accustomed (in the welding world) to seeing both "gases" and "gasses" depending upon the nation of origin.

Zackmo
07-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Both my dictionary and my chemistry textbook use the one-'s' spelling.

Colophon
07-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't think it's a British/American issue, as the single-"s" spelling is the most common one here in the UK, too.

Terminus Est
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
The OED lists the plural as "gases" with no mention of an alternative. It gives several citations for "gases", with the earliest from 1791. There is one citation for "Gasses" from 1779, but in that case, the singular was also spelled "Gass".

TruCelt
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Vapors

Best Topics: jabroni italian hershey highway extra fancy sinnerman jailhouse sublime lyrics military sunset magazine fed reattach headliner sevylor repair kit ugliest ford mustang ridex septic drawstring sheets scanned passports interrogation room light constant h can of whoopass secret asian man talas paper at site yellowish eyelids sambuca vs absinthe overshoes target camera steals soul deceptively easy foil in windows chef boyardee tortellini dope etymology diy polarized sunglasses fuck fedex not photogenic caustic water wet wives daesh pronounced boar bristles i've attached double belt loops for shizzle dizzle pest strip progressive reading glasses review how to attribute a quote change oil john deere riding mower worm insect or animal i dropped out of high school and want to go back 1800 got junk average prices do the tighten up use of ball pein hammer why does cleaning my ears make me cough how to get silly putty out of your hair who played adam on bonanza what is oil of vitriol how to change amazon shipping preference mp3 player for blind person why are monkeys brown what to do if a package doesn't arrive i'm stuck on band aid brand lyrics feather like hair on breast how long personal check valid how to use wart remover pads chemical name of water no one can come to the father but through me recurring bug bite in same spot clocks with roman numerals is dora the explorer mexican banned movies for child exploitation verified by visa g2a can i send cash in the mail does white paint need to be tinted nerve damage in finger from cut what average speed does he need to reach in his second round in order to attain