PDA

View Full Version : New shoes are killing me. Any way to stop the pain?

tdn
10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
So I bought a new pair of dress shoes the other day, and am wearing them for the first time today. They felt fine in the store, but now they are causing me severe pain. The backs are cutting into my ankles like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm getting blisters. If we gave shoes like these to Iraqi prisoners there'd be international outcry.

Ouch!

Is there some way to stretch or soften the leather enough to get the torture to stop?

Bijou Drains
10-13-2009, 04:31 PM
In a lot of cases breaking them in will make them feel OK. But some shoes just don't fit you right and probably will never feel good.

Heart of Dorkness
10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Shoe trees. (http://shoetreemarketplace.com/Men_s_Shoe_Trees_Split_Toe_s/22.htm) They may not help, but they can't hurt (more).

tdn
10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I think they'll probably be OK when they're broken in. But is there any way to speed up that process without destroying my ankles?

Bijou Drains
10-13-2009, 04:41 PM
One way to help break them in is to walk around with them wet but that is usually not OK for dress shoes. It works for work boots since people don't want them to look really nice.

TimToyGeek
10-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I recommend trying Rub Relief from Dr. Scholl's. It's marketed as "Dr. Scholl's for Her" and it comes in either a roll on stick or a roll of tapes. You apply the stick to your foot, and/or stick the tapes in the shoe where it's rubbing. That should help once the leather breaks in a bit.

I found this for my wife, and she now can wear all of the pairs of shoes that were comfortable except for that one spot that rubs wrong. It's a godsend.

Tim

tdn
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
That sounds like it might work. Can I get that at any drug store?

D_Odds
10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
This always happens to me with new shoes. ALWAYS. I put moleskin directly on my Achilles tendon to stop the rubbing until the shoes break in. I've worn shoes comfortably for years after breaking them in, through several sole changes, after the annoying and painful softening process.

luv2draw
10-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Do you mean the back of your foot? Sometimes the shoe is a little high for your foot and it just hits in the wrong spot. I don't know what they are called anymore, but there are pads (Dr. Scholl section of the store) that you can put under the heel of your foot that will make your foot sit a little higher in the shoe and the back will hit in a different spot and will be better. You can even lift the lining in the shoe and glue the thing down and then reglue the lining down over it for a neater look. In an emergency where you are stuck wearing those shoes for the day and don't have a place to get the pads you can fold up a paper towel from the restroom and stick it in your shoe to hold you over.

ThirdOne
10-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Hammer the offending spot. Yes, a regular hammer. It breaks down that sharpness that makes you think you'd rather amputate.

cdsilv
10-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Buy comfortable shoes that fit in the first place. I had that problem until I bought my first pair of SAS shoes (San Antonio Shoes). In their stores, they measure each foot and make sure your shoes fit correctly, showing you how to lace them correctly, etc...

I'm male....

purplehorseshoe
10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
If you are planning to veg out in front of the TV in the evening, sitting there and physically stretching the dang thing for several minutes as hard as you can while you watch will help, particularly when they are too "short" and cut into your Achille's tendon like that.

Or, as Heart of Dorkness pointed out, a shoe insert will do the work for you. You can get them at Container Store, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. If they're made out of cedar, it's a nice touch.

Getting the leather right where it's rubbing you very lightly wet before stretching it will speed the process, though you do risk leaving a water mark. Depends on the finish, how picky you are, whether you're going to walk through a puddle tomorrow, etc.

lieu
10-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Most professional shoe repair shops have shoe stretching machines they use in combination with commercial leather softeners. Turn around is about a day or so.

For future purchases, I've found some brands (Decker) never fit well and others (Cole Hahn) seem tailor made. Find a brand you like.

tdn
10-14-2009, 03:48 PM
All good suggestions so far, thanks.

I went back to my old shoes today to give my blisters a break. I couldn't find Rub Relief but I did get some blister protectors. I'll try the hand stretching and hammering tonight.

TimToyGeek
10-14-2009, 04:55 PM
I found both types of Rub Relief at my local Target in the foot care aisle, chances are most drugstores, Walmart and Targets carry them.

FYI if you do identify the offending part of the shoe, hammering or even using an emery board or file (gently!) to shrink the part of the shoe that rubs you wrong can help. Leather lined dress shoes are often the worst comfort shoes unless they're very high quality.

I like gel heel cups or gel inserts, but they can often add discomfort if the shoe fits snugly - adding height, even at the heel, can make your instep press on the top of the shoe and cause them to rub a different spot.

Rack-a-Bones
10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
All good suggestions so far, thanks.

I went back to my old shoes today to give my blisters a break. I couldn't find Rub Relief but I did get some blister protectors. I'll try the hand stretching and hammering tonight.

If this is the Rub Relief (http://drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?method=doProductDetailsLookup&searchArg=69) you are looking for, it's on sale at Drugstore.com (http://drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=184123&catid=882). Most drugstores like Walgreen's or Bartells should have it as well.

If it is just a matter of stretching it out a little you can try putting a softball or baseball in there depending on how big the opening is.

monavis
10-15-2009, 07:46 AM
I had that same problem with a pair of dress shoes I bought for a wedding, I bought some spray that you spray in the shoe, it softens the materials so it will stretch It worked for me, I now keep them on a shoe tree and have worn them several times with no problem.

Best Topics: 5 cylinder colorado biggest atom minesweeper 8 light switch broke atomic clock dst gnat cloud rubber stamp parliament anais pronounce grocery store deli songs with accordions pain feels good naruto themed wedding mafia vs mob burning aluminum cfmp shoes outcall means dilberts tie kike slur maddona abba himitsu means stretching sweaters word helvetica japanese dwarfs liquid bandage burns arctic vibranium crossed w font 100% commission vera ellen hot define kike college rule power fantasy definition does movie start time include previews can i withdraw my 401k if i get laid off loo loo loo i got some apples how does a foaming soap dispenser work 2001 ford explorer transmission dipstick location golden crisp vs honey smacks dremel flush trim bit jobs that require a bachelor's degree in anything home depot granite countertops reviews i work 7 days a week eye knocked out of socket does dip have fiberglass where do septic trucks dump strike anywhere matches illegal east vs west african faces vicodin for wisdom teeth removal my skin looks green does belly dancing give you abs how to wear brass knuckles how to wear protective cup scratching cat at base of tail that is all breckenridge car revving while idle does vicodin make you high how long can bacon stay in fridge ways to spell allison how to get a disabled person upstairs what does delay end mean on washing machine mole removal on face cost what does the reset button do on a pc splitting tens in blackjack idioms that don't make sense what does bey stand for jos a bank alterations can you get out of jury duty if you are a student