PDA

View Full Version : 30 Rock - "Stone Mountain" - 10/29

GrandWino
10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Wow, no thread on this yet?

Thought it was a really solid episode. A lot of great quotes.

Jimmy Fallon can't act his way out of a paper bag, but the joke about his first guest being a soccer-playing sheep was pretty funny.

Loved the off-brands in Georgia: Peppy Bismilk and Schwuppe's Gingy Pail.

Tracy on learning of the real Pac-Man's death: "I'm gonna eat a lotta cherries and a lotta ghost meat!"

Betty White was hilarious, and I actually enjoyed the way they used Jeff Dunham, who I normally can't stand.

Hilarious references to Georgia's history as a prison colony: Kenneth's family originally settled in Sexcrimeboat.

Ok, I'm off to find an invite to a gay Halloween party.

Intergalactic Gladiator
10-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I like the ep too and the goings on in Georgia and the back and forth with LIz and jack and were really funny.

I thought the bit with Jenna was kind of weak though. It was a funny concept that with her going up against the writers but it needed some kind of oomph or somthing to push it over. It was OK, but there were 3 plots going on, so maybe it didn't have enough time to develop.

Trion
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
"All God's children are terrible."

h.sapiens
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
The look of suppressed glee on Jack's face when Liz ordered the carp and chuckle sandwich was priceless.

I have an unnatural fear of all ventriloquist dummies, so I really enjoyed Jack stomping "Pumpkin" to the ground. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.

Skammer
10-30-2009, 03:26 PM
"I'll have the carp po' boy with extra chuckles."

Betty White: "Tracey! I haven't heard from you since we did that rapping grandma movie. You were wonderful as the grandma."

GrandWino
10-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Betty White: "Tracey! I haven't heard from you since we did that rapping grandma movie. You were wonderful as the grandma."

What I loved about that line was that it was written and delivered like something they'd give Tracy to say. Starting w/ a normal statement and then giving it a weird twist at the end. You don't see many other characters getting those kinds of lines.

Sigmagirl
10-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Jimmy Fallon can't act his way out of a paper bag, but the joke about his first guest being a soccer-playing sheep was pretty funny.
But he was in a movie with Queen Latifah!

Morbo
10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Loved the off-brands in Georgia: Peppy Bismilk and Schwuppe's Gingy Pail.

And Gatoroon.

Also liked Kenneth in at least three different roles as other people at the Comedy Club, including one in drag.

norvalnormal
10-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Both 30 Rock and The Office had carp jokes last nite?? (trying not to sound koi here)

GrandWino
10-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Both 30 Rock and The Office had carp jokes last nite?? (trying not to sound koi here)

Yep, and both Parks & Rec and 30 Rock had "gay Halloween party" jokes.

Fair Rarity
10-30-2009, 08:48 PM
This was a great episode that had me giggling at the tv, which always makes me feel foolish when I'm alone.

The puppet's head? classic. And even though it was standard heckler shtick, his zingers to Liz and Jack were great.

I normally can't stand Jimmy Fallon, so it was refreshing that I didn't want him to turn the ax on himself.

I think Betty White gets even funnier as she gets older.

blondebear
10-30-2009, 11:19 PM
"Chuckle Hut" = "taint"?

Kolak of Twilo
10-31-2009, 01:40 AM
"The island is just Hurley's dream."

lost4life
10-31-2009, 08:18 AM
First I had a chuckle, then I lizzed so much I almost jacked.

FriarTed
10-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Also liked Kenneth in at least three different roles as other people at the Comedy Club, including one in drag.

I did not notice that!

FriarTed
10-31-2009, 08:31 AM
"Chuckle Hut" = "taint"?

More like the second taint. Taint is between genitals & anus, chuckle is between anus & tail.

So if the chuckle is the last part of the pig to be used, the taint is probably next to last.

ftg
10-31-2009, 09:44 AM
I only noticed Kenneth in the club in drag. There were others? He later mentioned his Memaw (sp?) saw the attack, but the girl Kenneth wouldn't be his Memaw, would she?

Knowing way too much about Stone Mountain ruined some of it for me. It's just a suburb of Atlanta, not all that far out. Pretty much the same as any other US suburb, fairly well developed. Not exactly an area where people would have farm animals. And they have regular Pepto-Bismol, etc.

Now, if they had been using Macon all along (Jack McBrayer's actual hometown), then they could have gotten away with it. Better yet, Valdosta. Give Liz some boiled peanuts.

Bryan Ekers
10-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I only noticed Kenneth in the club in drag. There were others? He later mentioned his Memaw (sp?) saw the attack, but the girl Kenneth wouldn't be his Memaw, would she?

Heck, she could be his Sis-sis and his Mee-maw.

ISiddiqui
10-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Knowing way too much about Stone Mountain ruined some of it for me. It's just a suburb of Atlanta, not all that far out. Pretty much the same as any other US suburb, fairly well developed. Not exactly an area where people would have farm animals. And they have regular Pepto-Bismol, etc.

Same here. That took me out of the episode, knowing that Stone Mountain is just your ordinary strip mall built up suburb of a major city.

Morbo
11-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I only noticed Kenneth in the club in drag. There were others?

Earlier when Jack was alone at the club and gave the puppet guy a standing ovation, there was a quick closeup shot of Kenneth in a moustache, turning his head towards the right. See here (http://hulu.com/watch/105440/30-rock-stone-mountain#s-p1-so-i0 ) at about 12:40

Unauthorized Cinnamon
11-02-2009, 06:17 PM
This was a great episode in so many ways, but my absolute favorite part was this:

Kenneth: Florence Henderson was nice to the writers, and so they wrote her a wonderful part on The Brady Bunch!
Jenna: I don't really remember the Brady Bunch, because I was too young. *Look daring Kenneth to comment*
Kenneth: *Pauses*
Jenna: *Challenging look*
Kenneth: *Bites lip*
Jenna: *Clenches jaw*
Kenneth: *Struggles*
*Tense violins*
Jenna: But being nice to the writers - interesting idea.

Sampiro
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
30 Rock Turns Stone Mountain into Hicktown USA (http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2009/10/30/30-rock-turns-stone-mountain-into-hicktown-usa/?cxntlid=thbz_hm)

The nice part:

[Stone Mountain] Mayor Gary Peet wasn’t perturbed a bit.

“It was kind of harmless,” Peet, mayor for the past eight years. “It was so disconnected from reality, it doesn’t really matter.”

Southerners can be the most charming and gracious of people but they/we are not known for our ability to take a joke when the South is poked fun of, so Peet must be a nice guy. OR A DAMNED YANKEE CARPETBAGGER!

Personally I think they should stick with Sexcriminalboat (or Sekkskrimynalbote) as his hometown. Stone Mountain is 30 minutes from downtown Atlanta.

Either way I'll admit it always irks me when they mention Stone Mountain on the show- it's an Atlanta suburb, plain and simple. (Though it was the cradle of the newborn KKK, and technically it's a monadnock and not a mountain (i.e. it's a great big mountain sized upchuck of rock rather than part of a range)... and it has the world's larges bas-relief carving... and does have the world's largest mountainside relief carving... of Jefferson Davis and of two Confederate generals (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3312/3187641163_8d62b36f33.jpg?v=0)(Lee and Jackson- who had exactly jack and squat respectively to do with the Battles for Atlanta and is thus rather like carving Bradley and Patton onto a mountain in Japan... but other than that it's just like anyplace else.;))

Sampiro
11-02-2009, 07:38 PM
I love the way 30 ROCK portrays certain groups as fantasy creatures. This time The Gays were portrayed like some sort of elves ("we're going to party with The Gays!") and the Stone Mountaineers as some sort of villagers (I love that Liz used fictional characters [Matlock and Elly Mae] to demonstrate nuance in real America), but my favorite was when the Teamsters (with union boss Brian Dennehy) were portrayed as dwarves who guard the secret of where they get their sandwiches as if it were the location of a diamond mine.

Leiko
11-02-2009, 08:48 PM

Now, if they had been using Macon all along (Jack McBrayer's actual hometown), then they could have gotten away with it. Better yet, Valdosta. Give Liz some boiled peanuts.

It turns out that Donald Glover (former highschool football star Troy on "Community") is from Stone Mountain. He used to be a writer on 30 Rock, and when it came time to give Kenneth a hometown, the writers looked for a good small-town Southern name.

“The writers wanted some country sounding names in Georgia. We pitched Conyers. But they liked Stone Mountain. It sounded rural to them although we know it’s not rural at all.” (http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2009/09/29/interview-with-former-atlantan-donald-glover-on-nbcs-new-community-with-joel-mchale-chevy-chase/)

dropzone
11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
...but my favorite was when the Teamsters (with union boss Brian Dennehy) were portrayed as dwarves who guard the secret of where they get their sandwiches as if it were the location of a diamond mine.Dennehy is a mighty large "dwarf." But yeah, even though I know it's a suburb and met the guy who used to create laser shows on the carving, that bas relief, with all its associations, defines Stone Mountain to me. A more appropriate carving would show Joe Johnston running away while Sherman tries to kick his ass. :D

Sampiro
11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
But yeah, even though I know it's a suburb and met the guy who used to create laser shows on the carving, that bas relief, with all its associations, defines Stone Mountain to me. A more appropriate carving would show Joe Johnston running away while Sherman tries to kick his ass. :D

Then halfway through he morphs into Hood being strapped to his horse, coking up, and screaming "CHARGE!!!!" as he gallops off to Tennessee, followed by a nightly railroad ties bonfire bash like the fireworks at Disney.

I'd attend anyway.

CJJ*
11-02-2009, 11:18 PM
The look of suppressed glee on Jack's face when Liz ordered the carp and chuckle sandwich was priceless.

I have an unnatural fear of all ventriloquist dummies, so I really enjoyed Jack stomping "Pumpkin" to the ground. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.

There was a nice feature on ventriloquist Jeff Dunham (http://nytimes.com/2009/11/01/magazine/01ventriloquist-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=ventriloquist&st=cse) in this Sunday's NY Times Magazine. True to the "real America" theme of this season, Dunham has cultivated Middle-America to become the third-highest-earning comedian in America, after Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock. If you've never heard of him, it's because Seinfeld and Rock made most of their money in TV syndication, while Dunham just plays a sh1tload of live shows (his first Comedy Central special aired just a month ago).

I think Fey and the other writers have struck gold by contrasting the (perceived) cultural differences between coastal and flyover people. This artificial culture divide--along with the cable-news-fueled red state/blue state tribalism--is ripe for clever parody.

dropzone
11-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Then halfway through he morphs into Hood being strapped to his horse, coking up, and screaming "CHARGE!!!!" as he gallops off to Tennessee, followed by a nightly railroad ties bonfire bash like the fireworks at Disney.

I'd attend anyway.When I was a kid we celebrated Charlottesville, VA's, sesquicentennial, including when Custer (yeah, him) captured the town. Most of the audience considered it negatively. I didn't, but was ignored. :D

Exapno Mapcase
11-03-2009, 10:13 AM
There was a nice feature on ventriloquist Jeff Dunham (http://nytimes.com/2009/11/01/magazine/01ventriloquist-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=ventriloquist&st=cse) in this Sunday's NY Times Magazine. True to the "real America" theme of this season, Dunham has cultivated Middle-America to become the third-highest-earning comedian in America, after Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock. If you've never heard of him, it's because Seinfeld and Rock made most of their money in TV syndication, while Dunham just plays a sh1tload of live shows (his first Comedy Central special aired just a month ago).
It wasn't his first, but it was the highest rated show ever on Comedy Central. His series is the highest rated series ever on Comedy Central. It cracked the top 20 of cable shows. I believe it gets more viewers than the Daily Show and Colbert combined.

Justin_Bailey
11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
It wasn't his first, but it was the highest rated show ever on Comedy Central. His series is the highest rated series ever on Comedy Central. It cracked the top 20 of cable shows. I believe it gets more viewers than the Daily Show and Colbert combined.

He's not pulling in those kinds of numbers anymore.

http://movieline.com/2009/11/jeff-dunhams-ratings-whittle-55.php

troub
11-03-2009, 10:59 AM
It wasn't his first...

That's what I was going to say. I don't follow the guy, but I've seen him around on TV for a LOOOOONG time. How long has he been around? I'm sure I remember his bits with the "old guy" and the purple puppet ("zooom!" over the head gesture?) from something like 15-20 years ago.

EDIT: wikipedia says he debuted on Carson in 1990. So assuming he was kicking around on other shows too around that same time, yeah I'm sure that's when I saw him. I also remember José Jalapeño...on a stick.

CJJ*
11-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Shoulda said it was his first TV series, not special. But it's still odd to see him in the company of Seinfeld and Rock, cansidering his comparative media obscurity.

Mullinator
11-03-2009, 12:56 PM
It turns out that Donald Glover (former highschool football star Troy on "Community") is from Stone Mountain. He used to be a writer on 30 Rock, and when it came time to give Kenneth a hometown, the writers looked for a good small-town Southern name.

“The writers wanted some country sounding names in Georgia. We pitched Conyers. But they liked Stone Mountain. It sounded rural to them although we know it’s not rural at all.” (http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2009/09/29/interview-with-former-atlantan-donald-glover-on-nbcs-new-community-with-joel-mchale-chevy-chase/)

I am somewhat surprised they went with Stone Mountain when even a cursory search would turn up gems like Baconton, Byromville, Cave Spring, Cobbtown, Dock Junction, Dudley, Eulonia, Flowery Branch, Gumbranch, Homerville, Jesup, Locust Grove, Lookout Mountain, Lumpkin, Ray City, Social Circle, or Swainsboro.

Best Topics: existing latin lock lunch box poon urban dictionary selling timeshares career sara lee slogan quote on moderation pancake size areolas darva conger naked yipe stripes do kias last rocky eye cut tickle in nose military press shirts christopher nance website dope redbox boogers smell ten fold meaning costco coffin fiberglass in dip hairy arse fitz definition thai basket charmed i'm sure grape vine california mrskin member bdsm discipline canker sore listerine repairing convertible tops load out song frere jacques translation how do you eat guavas purple fence post snopes n-alvorix-rs880-uatx bios update do eyes close after death what to say to someone in jail rosemary butler jackson browne deliver phone books pay weapon of choice meaning maggots that eat live flesh why put ice in urinals buenas noches mein führer amazon temporarily out of stock. order now and we'll deliver when available repair pvc joint leak can i use a check with my old address 3 stooges niagara falls cooking ribs in plastic wrap what does bite me mean why does delaware exist how to get a cat out of a tree in heaven the food is italian police are british i keep my breath smelling like shit so i can get funky how to pronounce van gogh in dutch ankles hurt in morning how cyanide kills a person young hillary clinton sexy how to tabulate survey results in excel how to calculate bandwidth from frequency basic instinct sharon stone pussy why should you cover your license plate treat witness as hostile pulled pork not shredding lethal dose of insulin for non diabetic