PDA

View Full Version : What kind of a spirit would NyQuil resemble?

kaylasdad99
01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Weird question. I almost couldn't figure out how to phrase the question.

Anyway, kaylasmom been battling a cold for the past week and a half. I had it first, and I knocked it down by using up all the NyQuil in the house. So, I went to the drug store and picked up a two-pack of the big bottles. kaylasmmom remarked today that she wishes I was able to pick it up in larger quantities, not (in her words) those piddly-assed two packs.

My rejoinder was: "Well, we have a bottle of tequila in the house, if you want to have that instead" (you know, because it has alcohol in it, just like NyQuil). She didn't want tequila. But she did ask the strangest question: "What kind of booze is in NyQuil?"

I thought just answering "ethyl alcohol" would be a cop-out. The preparation itself has the consistency of a cordial, or a liqueur. I know the green one tastes kind of like licorice, but it's almost certainly not ouzo (although, to tell the truth, I haven't checked to see if it turns white in water :cool: ). The red stuff tastes kind of awful, like Southern Comfort (although not quite that bad).

But, how is the stuff made/brewed/distilled? Do they make cough syrup, and add grain alcohol, like Everclear? That strikes me as unlikely, but I'll be happy to learn otherwise, if I'm wrong.

Thanks for any knowledgeable responses.

MeanOldLady
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I always thought Southern Comfort tasted like NyQuil.

Nametag
01-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Why would you find that difficult? Massive amounts of 190 and 200 proof alcohol are shipped and used all over, both denatured and not. Nyquil, AIUI, contains alcohol primarily as a solvent for the active ingredients, which means that it's added in portions, or else it's actually the water that's added at the end.

SoulFrost
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey! Why y'all hatin' on my SoCo?

I heard somewhere that most alcohol-laden cough medicines are made with a 'tail-end' brandy, like Grappa.

Chronos
01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
...And here, I was thinking that this would be some weird animism thing. Like, the God of Helping you Get your Zzzs.

needscoffee
01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Chartreuse.

tomndebb
01-12-2010, 09:54 PM
If you want a spirit that can actually be confused with NyQuil when tasting it, go for Jägermeister. It will have none of the (purportedly) medicinal ingredients, but the taste is pretty close to identical, as is the syrupy texture.

tomndebb
01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
If you have enough cash to buy Charteuse, you can probably afford NyQul by the case.

MeanOldLady
01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
If you want a spirit that can actually be confused with NyQuil when tasting it, go for Jägermeister. It will have none of the (purportedly) medicinal ingredients, but the taste is pretty close to identical, as is the syrupy texture.Jagermeister does not have a syrupy texture.

tomndebb
01-12-2010, 10:12 PM
But after a hit, you can't tell that.

MPB in Salt Lake
01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Jagermeister does not have a syrupy texture.

I am willing to bet that 90%+ of people who have ever drank a shot of Jagermeister would tell you that you are dead wrong, and indeed "syrupy" would be one of the very first adjectives that would be used to describe it.

MeanOldLady
01-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I am willing to bet that 90%+ of people who have ever drank a shot of Jagermeister would tell you that you are dead wrong, and indeed "syrupy" would be one of the very first adjectives that would be used to describe it.So I'd be in the 10% that agree with me, then. I would use the term "syrupy" to describe the flavor, second only to "nasty as shit," but the texture is pretty liquidy. SoCo has a syrupy texture.

HongKongFooey
01-12-2010, 10:29 PM
So I'd be in the 10% that agree with me, then. I would use the term "syrupy" to describe the flavor, second only to "nasty as shit," but the texture is pretty liquidy. SoCo has a syrupy texture.If it's worth anything, I agree 100% with you.

kaylasdad99
01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Sooo, that's 110% for "not syrupy," and 90% for "syrupy," on the Jägermeister.

I guess the true test of that would be to overfill your shot glass, and see if there's a sticky ring on the table the next morning. Probably be a good idea to write down your plan before you start, so you don't forget the next day.

MeanOldLady
01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Hell, go to the bar and order a shot of Jag yourself. Look at it, swirl it around, get to know it, and you tell me if the texture is syrupy or not. Ignore the flavor; it most certainly has a syrupy sweet taste to it. Tell me if the texture alone is syrupy. I'll let you be the boss. If you say it's syrupy, I'll give you $10*.

*No, I won't.

Tapioca Dextrin
01-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I just sniffed a bottle of Tylenol Sore Throat, which is the closest I've got to hand. I reckon a 50/50 mixture of Creme de Menthe and Midori might do the trick.

pulykamell
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
If you want a spirit that can actually be confused with NyQuil when tasting it, go for Jägermeister. It will have none of the (purportedly) medicinal ingredients, but the taste is pretty close to identical, as is the syrupy texture.

Yeah, I would say Jager kinda tastes like NyQuil. Chartreuse (both green and yellow) tastes nothing like NyQuil. (And it's not really that expensive. About $40-$50 a fifth.)

Darryl Lict
01-13-2010, 12:21 AM
A Flaming Moe?

Little Nemo
01-13-2010, 12:24 AM
I guess the true test of that would be to overfill your shot glass, and see if there's a sticky ring on the table the next morning. Probably be a good idea to write down your plan before you start, so you don't forget the next day.That or you could cook up a batch of waffles and start experimenting.

kaylasdad99
01-13-2010, 12:28 AM
That's the kind of science you get when you don't write down your plan before you start doing shots...

cmyk
01-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Well, if they made a Menthol Schnapps...

Argent Towers
01-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Why do people even drink Jagermeister? It doesn't taste good. "It gets you fucked up" is not an appropriate answer because there are cheap vodkas and tequilas that will get you more fucked up for less money. Whoever is behind the marketing of that stuff is a certified genius.

MeanOldLady
01-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Why do people even drink Jagermeister? It doesn't taste good. "It gets you fucked up" is not an appropriate answer because there are cheap vodkas and tequilas that will get you more fucked up for less money. Whoever is behind the marketing of that stuff is a certified genius.Because they hate themselves, and feel they don't deserve to be happy. Because "it gets you fucked up" is a highly laughable answer considering it's 70 proof.

In answer to the OP, you're all over it. Southern Comfort is it.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-13-2010, 01:45 AM
There is an urban legend that Jager contains some sort of added narcotic (variously claimed to be tincture of opium, heroin or other) that enhances the effects. Yes, the legend is (almost certainly) bullshit, but that doesn't mean that people don't believe it or get placeboed by it.

It's also rumored to contain deer's blood, which is also bullshit.

Some people actually find it palatable, and it is marginally more drinkable than straight spirits.

For a while, in the late 80's/early 90's, it was the fashionable bottle of choice for a lot of hard rock/metal bands, including Metallica who had a lot of pictures take clutching bottles of Jager, and I think this contributed to popularizing it with a certain segment of the youth.

For the record, I think it tastes syrupy.

spinky
01-13-2010, 01:48 AM
I'm going with sambuca. Tastes like licorice and is thick. Add some green food coloring and you could probably convince me it was NyQuil.

Superhal
01-13-2010, 02:08 AM
I'd say it's closer to Midori, which is around 12% alcohol, like wine or beer.

However, I would never have guessed how much alcohol is in some commercial products (40% in mouthwash, 80% in hand sanitizer, etc.), so I'm probably way off.

By the way, the active ingredient in Nyquil isn't the alcohol but acetaminophen. Iirc, it's like popping 4 Tylenol in one shot, and there's a big scare now with liver damage from acetaminophen poisoning.

spinky
01-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Midori has the closest color, but it's melon liqueur. It doesn't taste even remotely like NyQuil.

Little Nemo
01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
By the way, the active ingredient in Nyquil isn't the alcohol but acetaminophen. Iirc, it's like popping 4 Tylenol in one shot, and there's a big scare now with liver damage from acetaminophen poisoning.Especially when it's taken in conjunction with alcohol.

pulykamell
01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Why do people even drink Jagermeister? It doesn't taste good.

Central and Eastern Europe especially have a pretty long tradition of various herbal liqueurs/bitters, usually used as digestifs. My father used to make his own Benedictine/Chartreuse-type infusions when I was a kid and I grew up on the stuff. So, for me, I'll drink Jagermeister because I do like the taste, although it's not as interesting or bitter as some of the other stuff I like (like Unicum or Unterberg). It's also very good after a meal to help settle the stomach (as a digestif.) Plenty of people do enjoy it, although it is mysterious to me how they managed to market themselves so successfully to modern American tastes, which tend to avoid herbally liquers in my experience.

edit: And as to the syrup discussion. Jager does taste syrupy, but its consistency is thin, and not syrupy like SoCo.

MeanOldLady
01-13-2010, 10:19 AM
For the record, I think it tastes syrupy.Yes, yes, it tastes syrupy, but is it the sugary sweet flavor that is syrupy, or is it the texture?

It's the flavor.

So, for me, I'll drink Jagermeister because I do like the taste, although it's not as interesting or bitter as some of the other stuff I like (like Unicum or Unterberg).How do you feel about Fernet?
edit: And as to the syrup discussion. Jager does taste syrupy, but its consistency is thin, and not syrupy like SoCo.Correct.

pulykamell
01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
How do you feel about Fernet?

Never had it, but reading the Wikipedia discription of it, it sounds like something right up my alley. I've never met a bitter or herbal liqueur I didn't like. I'm going to have to keep a look out for this next time I'm at the Binny's (local liquor superstore.)

brujaja
01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
What kind of spirit?

Windextor.
"I will clean your soul!"

Elendil's Heir
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
...And here, I was thinking that this would be some weird animism thing. Like, the God of Helping you Get your Zzzs.

Me, too. Kinda like that glowy butterfly in those Ambien ads.

Munch
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes, yes, it tastes syrupy, but is it the sugary sweet flavor that is syrupy, or is it the texture?

It's the flavor.
I'll go one further - it's the linger-y-ness of it.

freckafree
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm going with sambuca. Tastes like licorice and is thick. Add some green food coloring and you could probably convince me it was NyQuil.

Have you ever tried floating three coffee beans in NyQuil and then lighting it? (Even as I typed that, I thought, "That sounds like a really bad idea.")

lazybratsche
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
By the way, the active ingredient in Nyquil isn't the alcohol but acetaminophen. Iirc, it's like popping 4 Tylenol in one shot, and there's a big scare now with liver damage from acetaminophen poisoning.

Don't forget the antihistamines. They're already a pretty strong sedative on their own, and are also sold as over-the-counter sleep aids. But the effect is even strong when combined with alcohol.

Erdosain
01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I'd say it's closer to Midori, which is around 12% alcohol, like wine or beer.

However, I would never have guessed how much alcohol is in some commercial products (40% in mouthwash, 80% in hand sanitizer, etc.), so I'm probably way off.

You do not recall correctly. Per wikipedia, an adult dose of NyQuil contains the same amount of acetaminophen as two extra strength Tylenol. Do you really think they would sell a cold remedy with a dangerous amount of acetaminophen in it?

aruvqan
01-13-2010, 06:44 PM
You do not recall correctly. Per wikipedia, an adult dose of NyQuil contains the same amount of acetaminophen as two extra strength Tylenol. Do you really think they would sell a cold remedy with a dangerous amount of acetaminophen in it?

Why not? They used to sell one with chloroform in it ... do you realize how easy it is to overdose chloroform?

[novahistine elixir]

Erdosain
01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Why not? They used to sell one with chloroform in it ... do you realize how easy it is to overdose chloroform?

[novahistine elixir]

Uh, because of lawsuits? They pulled Dimetapp off the market for much less than that.

Shalmanese
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Plenty of people do enjoy it, although it is mysterious to me how they managed to market themselves so successfully to modern American tastes, which tend to avoid herbally liquers in my experience.

the genius of Sidney Frank (http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfinance/biz/features/10816/)

Magicicada
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM

I know, I was going to say, "Well, isn't that Narcos, or maybe Hypnos?"

DrDeth
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM

It can be very dangerous if you don't read the label and also pop those two extra strength Tylenol.

Little Nemo
01-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Do you really think they would sell a cold remedy with a dangerous amount of acetaminophen in it?They would and do. The maximum recommended dosage of acetaminophen is 4000 mg in a day. 7000 mg is considered a minimum toxic dosage. An extra strength Tylenol tablet contains 500 mg. The recommended dosage (30 ml) of NyQuil contains 1000 mg.

The recommended dosage of NyQuil is 30 ml every six hours. The recommended dosage of Tylenol is two pills every four to six hours, up to a maximum of eight pills a day. Even if you follow these directions to the letter, you're getting a daily dose of 8000 mg. If you ignore that eight pill daily maximum and take two Tylenols every four hours, your daily dose would be 10000 mg.

kaylasdad99
01-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Have you ever tried floating three coffee beans in NyQuil and then lighting it? (Even as I typed that, I thought, "That sounds like a really bad idea.")It IS a bad idea. Hell, the little plastic cup would melt right away!

Erdosain
01-14-2010, 12:50 AM
They would and do. The maximum recommended dosage of acetaminophen is 4000 mg in a day. 7000 mg is considered a minimum toxic dosage. An extra strength Tylenol tablet contains 500 mg. The recommended dosage (30 ml) of NyQuil contains 1000 mg.

The recommended dosage of NyQuil is 30 ml every six hours. The recommended dosage of Tylenol is two pills every four to six hours, up to a maximum of eight pills a day. Even if you follow these directions to the letter, you're getting a daily dose of 8000 mg. If you ignore that eight pill daily maximum and take two Tylenols every four hours, your daily dose would be 10000 mg.

You switched units from pills to doses and so your numbers are off. (Bolding above mine.) Eight tylenol pills = 500mg x 8 = 4000mg = maximum recommended dosage. If you ignore the eight pill maximum, you'll end up taking 12 pills in one day, resulting in a 6000 mg dose, which is still below your minimum toxic dose of 7000 mg. It looks like Tylenol thought this through!

So, in summary, taking the maximum allowed Tylenol will give you 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day. Taking the maximum NyQuil dosage will give you 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day. As you point out, that is exactly the maximum recommended dosage.

DrDeth
01-14-2010, 01:18 AM
You switched units from pills to doses and so your numbers are off. (Bolding above mine.) Eight tylenol pills = 500mg x 8 = 4000mg = maximum recommended dosage. If you ignore the eight pill maximum, you'll end up taking 12 pills in one day, resulting in a 6000 mg dose, which is still below your minimum toxic dose of 7000 mg. It looks like Tylenol thought this through!

So, in summary, taking the maximum allowed Tylenol will give you 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day. Taking the maximum NyQuil dosage will give you 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day. As you point out, that is exactly the maximum recommended dosage.

And taking both puts you right over the minimum toxic dose, and too often into the ER with liver failure.

Little Nemo
01-14-2010, 01:39 AM
We were talking about people taking NyQuil and Tylenol in the same day. My figures are accurate. If you take the recommended dosage of Tylenol and the recommended dosage of NyQuil in the same day, you will take enough acetaminophen to exceed the minimum toxic dosage.

As for just taking NyQuil, the question asked was "Do you really think they would sell a cold remedy with a dangerous amount of acetaminophen in it?" Being as a standard 295 ml bottle contains over 9800 mg of acetaminophen, I'd say the answer to that question is yes. You can overdose on a single bottle of NyQuil.

Erdosain
01-14-2010, 02:09 AM
We were talking about people taking NyQuil and Tylenol in the same day. My figures are accurate. If you take the recommended dosage of Tylenol and the recommended dosage of NyQuil in the same day, you will take enough acetaminophen to exceed the minimum toxic dosage.

I think there has been some miscommunication. I was refuting an earlier poster who claimed NyQuil had twice the acetaminophen as Tylenol. It does not; it has exactly the same amount. I further stated that they wouldn't sell NyQuil if it contained a dangerous amount of acetaminophen. You disputed this. Why? Because taking Tylenol in addition to NyQuil would put you over the limit! Well, that doesn't mean NyQuil is dangerous in and of itself or when used correctly. It is dangerous when people who don't realize there is acetaminophen in NyQuil also take Tylenol.

There are warnings on all cold medicines that contain acetaminophen not to take Tylenol concurrently. Sadly, some people do not read the warnings and get sick. I agree that this is a real problem and should be taken seriously. It does not change my initial point that NyQuil is not dangerous when used correctly. (I swear, I'd better get a free case of this shit for standing up for their product!)

As for just taking NyQuil, the question asked was "Do you really think they would sell a cold remedy with a dangerous amount of acetaminophen in it?" Being as a standard 295 ml bottle contains over 9800 mg of acetaminophen, I'd say the answer to that question is yes. You can overdose on a single bottle of NyQuil.

Sure, and you can overdose on a single bottle of Tylenol. What's your point? Any drug is dangerous if you take a massive overdose of it.

Little Nemo
01-14-2010, 02:20 AM
I further stated that they wouldn't sell NyQuil if it contained a dangerous amount of acetaminophen. You disputed this. Why?A single standard bottle of NyQuil contains enough acetaminophen to overdose on. How do you define a dangerous amount in a way that doesn't apply here? Sure, you'd have to actually consume the contents of the bottle, but that seems quibbling. Sort of like claiming a single bullet can't hurt anybody and then adding the proviso "unless you get shot with it".

Erdosain
01-14-2010, 02:49 AM
A single standard bottle of NyQuil contains enough acetaminophen to overdose on. How do you define a dangerous amount in a way that doesn't apply here? Sure, you'd have to actually consume the contents of the bottle, but that seems quibbling. Sort of like claiming a single bullet can't hurt anybody and then adding the proviso "unless you get shot with it".

Seriously? By your standard, every single drug in the supermarket has a dangerous amount of drugs in it. After all, your standard is consuming the entire package! What a ridiculous tangent this thread has got derailed on.

Me: Taking NyQuil in the proper dosage and without other drugs is safe.

You: You are completely wrong! Taking NyQuil in the wrong dosage or with other drugs is dangerous.

We are both correct. I think it's time to move on.

The real question is whether NyQuil, with only 15% alcohol, would ignite if put in a plastic cup with three coffee beans.

Best Topics: smother with pillow traffic light horizontal warmest material hostess cherry pie ghetto houses american dvds yikes stripes 60 iq ass gaskets llorando lyrics checks memo line wing drumettes panties archive japan holocaust 2x4 menards tick spoon metropolis anime fingertip bandage ye gods arcom filter metric height can paraplegics ejaculate pp meaning page adiemus enya dum dum bullet 1930's cars sunbeam batteries south cackalacky origin nyquil vs zzzquil japan import cd tiny vein girls sleep together hulk top speed earnings vs profit okagesama de genki desu prudential 401k hardship withdrawal what makes cheese sharp squeeze pimple hard ball came out passive cell phone booster toilet with built in grinder pump why can't you eat crab lungs can you freeze gatorade how to shave without making a mess can a starter drain a battery overnight suing telemarketers for fun and profit does styrofoam dissolve in water 2 drink minimum at a comedy club why cant i cum from a blowjob how long for roundup to work can i put water in my car battery mustang ranch price list why did i get a treasury check american gifts for german friends why do french police wear masks how to tell if someone is smart by their eyes rhonda on that 70s show should i cover my weber grill best socks to wear with cowboy boots how to install a dimmer switch without ground wire bone marrow in the blood stream will gasoline kill grass do seagulls eat other birds how to get paid under a pen name wombat as a pet making panini on george foreman grill is sri lanka a third world country polish not my circus