PDA

View Full Version : How Do Pharmacies Handled Prescriptions Not Picked Up

Markxxx
01-18-2010, 06:25 PM
When I used to travel for my job a long while back (early 00's) I had placed an order for a refill on my prescription (albuterol for asthma and Ziac for blood pressure). I noticed when I had the prescription at Walgreens, Duane Reed, or CVS if I failed to pick up the prescription I would lose it.

In other words if I had 6 refills and I didn't pick one up, when I re-ordered it I had only 5 refills left. In otherwords even though they didn't charge me I lost one refill

Now on January 8th I refilled a prescription for Ziac with Walmart and I didn't get around to picking it up. I had two refills left, now I went to refill it, I still have two refills left. They didn't subtract the one I failed to pick up off of it.

Is this unique to Walmart or did something change?

Hirka T'Bawa
01-18-2010, 06:37 PM
At the pharmacy I work at, and all the ones I know, we keep scripts filled for about 2 weeks. If not picked up, and we can't reach you to find out if you are getting it soon, then we reverse the transaction in the computer system and the insurance. We then put the drugs back on the shelf, after blocking out the name on the vial.

You keep any refills that are remaining, it ends up being like that fill never happened.

Shagnasty
01-18-2010, 07:40 PM
I have had insurance screw-ups and told them I couldn't take the prescription when I went to pick it up. They always told me it was no problem and restocked it. I guess there could be a super-perishable drug liquids that are custom compounded or flavored that they can't restock but they probably have that figured out already and usually fill it when you show up. Regular pills and sealed bottles just go right back on the shelf.

ladyfoxfyre
01-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Two options:
If the prescription is new, and this is the first fill, the prescription goes on hold until it expires. Usually 1 year for non-controlled meds.
If the prescription is a refill, the fill is deleted and returned to the "total" number of fills you have left. No refills lost.
Sounds like a computer error on the part of the first pharmacy.

The Central Scrutinizer
01-18-2010, 11:38 PM
When I used to travel for my job a long while back (early 00's) I had placed an order for a refill on my prescription (albuterol for asthma and Ziac for blood pressure). I noticed when I had the prescription at Walgreens, Duane Reed, or CVS if I failed to pick up the prescription I would lose it.

In other words if I had 6 refills and I didn't pick one up, when I re-ordered it I had only 5 refills left. In otherwords even though they didn't charge me I lost one refill

Now on January 8th I refilled a prescription for Ziac with Walmart and I didn't get around to picking it up. I had two refills left, now I went to refill it, I still have two refills left. They didn't subtract the one I failed to pick up off of it.

Is this unique to Walmart or did something change?

From my experience in DE, & I'm a current CPhT of 6+ years, after a few days/week, we'd call. If not picked up, the meds would go back on the shelf & stock re-entered. Your Px would remain unaffected except that it would continue until expiration (depending on the schedule class). Different states & stores might vary according to the area, but it would seem to me to be worth questioning; it doesn't seem correct procedure that your Px would be deducted unless the date expired, but that doesn't seem to be your case.

Best Topics: bowel movement weight accurate lyrics 4e weakened lumosity lpi percentiles usc vs cfr fantasy riddle will gas evaporate shreader oil wallachian language are lemons sour define rimjob paracord strength 3 dolphin soviet weapons wwii necking down balderdash questions rotgut definition couch in bathroom in similar vein allnurses.com lawsuit monica potter imdb neosporin band aids drain opener acid zzzquil ingredient reddit lapdance uncirculated denver spell cheques watchers on ebay broiler electric oven skin colored markers klaus nomi obituary ah so japanese lg window air conditioner energy saver mode what could you buy with a penny in 1800 figure of 8 brace irish whiskey vs bourbon taste is door to door soliciting illegal what is a male ballerina why do car commercials have painted license plates usps works on sunday songs about leaving home replacing 2 prong outlets with gfci what to wear to a funeral men casual westinghouse tv cable input where can i buy imitation crab meat where can i buy litmus paper what does eire mean why do indians work at 711 how to check if your car has been towed girl in stevie wonder commercial burn audible book to mp3 cd boiling rice like pasta a levels vs o levels funny jokes about cows patio mexican tv dinners 3/4 vs 5/8 what vitamins are absorbed through the skin downton abbey daisy and william where to buy bread machine mixes when did klinger stop wearing dresses how heavy is a chicken breast how long does mike's hard lemonade last the frugal gourmet assistant craig like acid and oil on a madman face car antenna adapter radio shack