Quarterly: once every three months
????????: once every four months
Semiannually: once every six months

billfish678
03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Seasonal is an approximation.

GilaB
03-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Triannual? (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/triannual)

I Love Me, Vol. I
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Thrice-yearly.

Apex Rogers
03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
If you take bimonthly to mean once every two months, perhaps bi-bimonthly?

Giles
03-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Quadrimestrical

or quadrimestral

Harmonious Discord
03-17-2010, 08:56 PM
triannual

Kimstu
03-17-2010, 08:59 PM
triannual

Yup (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/triannual). (Not to be confused with "triennial", meaning once every three years.)

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks. It looks like the short answer is "yes," but it's definitely not a common word, not appearing in the "regular" m-w.com.

billfish678
03-17-2010, 09:39 PM
well

there is that very rare and unused business term...quarterly :)

I've also heard that some ivory tower institutions use something similar.

Kimstu
03-17-2010, 09:42 PM
there is that very rare and unused business term...quarterly

But as the OP noted, "quarterly" means "once a QUARTER", i.e., every three months, not every four months.

ETA: I don't mean to sound snarky but I'm genuinely curious: did you really not know the difference between "quarterly" and "every four months"?

billfish678
03-17-2010, 09:45 PM
But as the OP noted, "quarterly" means "once a QUARTER", i.e., every three months, not every four months.

ETA: I don't mean to sound snarky but I'm genuinely curious: did you really not know the difference between "quarterly" and "every four months"?

:) might have meant something there. Of course I went to a school that operated on a semester system.

billfish678
03-17-2010, 09:52 PM
:) might have meant something there. Of course I went to a school that operated on a semester system.

It was a bad joke.

gotpasswords
03-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Trimestral (http://thefreedictionary.com/Trimestral)

Giles
03-18-2010, 10:12 AM
But that means once every trimester, i.e., four times each year or three times in the average human pregnancy.

cmyk
03-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Triforce. (http://zelda-infinite.com/files/music/loz/triforce.mid)

Darth Panda
03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Does triannual have to be every four months - or does it just mean 3/year? Obviously anything that occurs every 4 months will occur 3 times per year, but not everything that occurs 3 times per year necessarily occurs every 4 months.

Take for instance, something that occurs on April 5, June 16 and December 8 every year. Could such a thing be called a triannual occurence? If so, then triannual wouldn't fully describe something that occurs once every 4 months (although it wouldn't be incorrect to call such a thing triannual). If you can't call such a thing triannual, then what would you call it?

Peter Morris
03-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Heptadeciweekly

Lord Mondegreen
03-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Does triannual have to be every four months - or does it just mean 3/year? Obviously anything that occurs every 4 months will occur 3 times per year, but not everything that occurs 3 times per year necessarily occurs every 4 months.

But the same issue arises with any such word. Yearly, monthly, weekly, etc. Yearly doesn't necessarily mean that something happens on exactly the same day each year. I'm about to have my yearly visit to our UK office. Last year it was in September.

Bytegeist
03-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Heptadeciweekly

The "deci" prefix means "one tenth". I think you meant "heptadekaweekly".

Peter Morris
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
The "deci" prefix means "one tenth". I think you meant "heptadekaweekly".

I did consider that, but a number system based on 16's is called hexadecimal, so I went for i instead of a.

Indistinguishable
03-19-2010, 01:22 AM
And, even more familiarly, a number system based on 10 is called "decimal". :) But the "deci-" in there does still etymologically derive from a word meaning "a tenth".

BigT
03-19-2010, 06:04 AM

Tri means three, and mestral means months. A trimester is a three month period. (Think about the common division in pregnancy.) While it is used in scholarly circles to refer to a three part system, this is because summer break is itself considered a trimester. It's the opposite of how a semester works, which literallyrefers to a period of six months, but tends to only refer to a period of four months.

And, no, that doesn't make it a good term to use, as it still tends to refer to half a year. It's just that a "school year" is shorter than a real year.

Best Topics: oily blood no solicitors julie andrews playboy hotel detectives soap dropping dutch nobility selling black walnut bamboo reproduction exploding rock chris jansing bonnie wauck presidents lump bleach on urine k mart sucks fuck france dominate wife baby oak trees grow after 18 pregnant hermaphrodites popeyes song mensa discount code mao didi mao wisconsin gloryhole angol irish moderate weather funeral drum broncos cheers do rocks grow pickles kosher vacuum sinus jessie mythbusters shilling ebay reddit mfm symptoms of dog dying from congestive heart failure what does el guero mean can a black light detect urine what is a gradian bowl of spider webs monarch and dr girlfriend dog limping when to take to vet who makes comfortmaker heat pumps can you drink alcohol with melatonin marie callender biscuits and gravy how to use bank drive thru car window fan solar is sri lanka a third world country why do my eyes water when i pee what color pen should be used for legal documents you put the lime in the coconut meaning what does english sound like to non english speakers liquid plumber for toilets sweet potato white liquid border collie and husky mix movie duel truck driver how to tell the difference between oak and pine tell the bell complaint thick skin on feet that peel what does ese mean in mexican fedex 2 day am did matt dillon ever kiss kitty popular songs that start with q what to do if mail sent to wrong address do employers verify education cost to fix a bent rim im gay in spanish signs of a strong immune system