PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with this crib?

filmyak
05-15-2010, 05:00 PM
We have a 3-year old Pali crib that we used for our first child. Our second is about to be born, but we're getting a new crib as the Pali is one of the drop side models that are no longer made (parts have broken, which have caused 30 some infant deaths in the US).

Now, from what I've read none of the Pali cribs have had issues, it's cheaper brands that have caused the problems.

So do I just throw the crib into the dumpster? Or donate it to a charity, knowing it's a good crib but that the design has issues for other brands? :confused:

gotpasswords
05-15-2010, 06:33 PM
It's gotten to the point that most charities won't accept cribs because of the liability problems. I do know our local Goodwill won't take them.

As your is apparently a design or a specific model that has some breakage problems, the best thing to do is dispose of it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to dismantle it so someone doesn't unwittingly take home a potentially dangerous crib.

Cheshire Human
05-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Get some of your Homies, a big bag of weed, a couple of 8-balls and have a "partay at ma crib!!!!"

norinew
05-15-2010, 06:41 PM
You could try something like Craigslist or Freecycle. But if you have no takers, just dump it.

filmyak
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Hmm. What a waste, but better safe than dead babies.

howye
05-15-2010, 07:28 PM
If that model has not been recalled and is in otherwise good shape, try your local second hand store. I am not sure how widespread the Once Upon a Child brand is, but they will good money for used baby gear. Check the to see if the model you have has had trouble. Crib recalls are frequent because nobody is willing to take chances. But is possible that your brand has a slightly different mechanism or uses better materials.

Gary Robson
05-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Since this is more of a search for ideas than a specific factual question, I'm moving the thread from General Questions to In My Humble Opinion.

AuntiePam
05-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Do you garden? I've seen crib sides used as trellises/supports for climbing plants in flower beds.

If you lived around here, you could just set it on the curb and it'd be gone in an hour. Somebody, somewhere will find a use for it, or parts of it.

Sue Duhnym
05-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Bonfire!

Seriously, trash it. If you won't put your own kid in it, why would you let someone else put theirs in it?

Lily Milliner
05-15-2010, 10:30 PM
We did exactly what Norinenew proposes when we had pretty much the exact same situation. Post it on Craigslist as a "for free" thing with exactly the warning you've included here. You'll get a taker, I can nearly guarantee.

filmyak
05-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah I know we can do the craigslist give-a-way, and I realize this brand of cribs hasn't had the drop side issue, but it still makes me incredibly nervous. Not in a litigious sort of way, but in a responsibility for my fellow human's baby sort of way.

I think the dumpster is gonna win.

OpalCat
05-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Dismantle it for usable parts and trash the rest.

MsChilePepper
05-16-2010, 05:13 AM
I'd try to use parts of it in creative ways, as AuntiePam suggested above. But then, I'm a good Midwest girl, and we never throw things away when they could be scavenged.

Does your wife do crafty things? She could mount a side panel of the crib on the wall (like a ladder) to use as fabric storage. Or get some hanging baskets (like this (http://ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90072648) or this (http://ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90072648). Heck, with some S hooks, you can hang just about anything. You could use one side panel in the baby's room or garage as an organizer, too.

If the end panels are solid wood, why not reuse the wood for some sort of project? If you don't do woodworking, give them to someone who does. If nothing else, remove the screws/bolts/washers to stow away for repairs or projects down the road. You never know when you might need 'em.

MsChilePepper
05-16-2010, 05:18 AM
(Oops, didn't mean to double-post)

And now I've just gone and looked at the Pali website, and wow, beautiful stuff. I don't even want to know what they cost. You could make a very nice headboard out of one of the panels.

Aspidistra
05-16-2010, 05:49 AM
We have a 3-year old Pali crib that we used for our first child. Our second is about to be born, but we're getting a new crib as the Pali is one of the drop side models that are no longer made (parts have broken, which have caused 30 some infant deaths in the US).

I'm trying to parse this sentence properly - are you saying that no sort of drop-side cribs are made in the US any more? Because I'm not sure if I've ever seen a crib that didn't have some sort of drop-side mechanism.

Perciful
05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Bring it to the dump.

jacobsta811
05-16-2010, 10:23 AM
I think drop-side cribs have become markedly less popular - replaced by cribs that are really low to the ground so instead of dropping the side you lean down to pick up the child. They sort of remind me of a wooden play-pen essentially.
As for the crib in question, I agree if it hasn't been recalled and isn't one of the ones that caused any deaths then freecycle or craiglist and someone will be glad to have it.

filmyak
05-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Chile -- the Pali crib we bought was under $300. (Our replacement crib was under $200.) Pali is known for quality and safety, and we got lower end basic model, all we needed.

Aspid, I believe drop side cribs are now out. Not a full recall -- though there are some out there trying to get one -- but the liability issues are too high. New versions will have hinged tops that fold outward at the top. The drop sides -- if parts broke -- could make the side drop down and catch the baby's arm or whatever, and they'd be trapped. Over 30 babies died in the US over the past 10 years from malfunctioning drop doors. Not a massive number, but the fix is easy.

Aspidistra
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Another option - take the drop-side off completely, then freecycle it as a toddler bed. My third nephew slept in his old cot with the side off till he was about five - even his bigger brother could still fit in it at 10 years old (yes, I have some short folks in my family)

If the drop-side is completely gone, you can be 100% sure it won't drop on a baby and damage them.

filmyak
05-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah but we're way past that with first child, he's been in his bed for months, and old crib is in storage.

suranyi
05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm trying to parse this sentence properly - are you saying that no sort of drop-side cribs are made in the US any more? Because I'm not sure if I've ever seen a crib that didn't have some sort of drop-side mechanism.

There is currently a voluntary ban on the manufacture of drop side cribs. There is plans to make the ban mandatory:

http://latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-crib-20100508,0,3553984.story

Aspidistra
05-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah but we're way past that with first child, he's been in his bed for months, and old crib is in storage.

I mean, give it to someone else for that purpose. I know plenty of people who faced the arrival of Baby 2.0 when Baby 1.0 was no more than 15 or 18 months. We never bought a specific "toddler" bed, just went straight to grown-up size, but people do, especially if they haven't much space.

ENugent
05-17-2010, 01:02 AM
I would give it away on Craigslist or Freecycle with the full warning about drop-side cribs posted. Even if you are going along with the "recall", others can certainly make a reasoned judgment that the whole thing is bullshit. 30 deaths out of how many millions of cribs in use with this styling? Personally, I'd take that risk, even with my precious baby. (In fact, my precious baby - well, toddler - is upstairs asleep in a drop-side crib at this very moment.) As long as a parent is actually acting with all the facts, I don't think you need to feel any guilt about it.

MsChilePepper
05-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Here's an idea (http://tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com/2010/05/spring-project-make-crib-bench.html) I just saw on a crafty blog.

filmyak
05-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Here's an idea (http://tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com/2010/05/spring-project-make-crib-bench.html) I just saw on a crafty blog.

LOL nice!

Best Topics: chicago stadium organ document courier services major horton alumn vs alumni transplanting dianthus fuck mothers day outlet orientation 50 lb rice young with dentures doomsday magic necked down jonesin crosswords soldier yelling coax fm antenna medusa's snakes song about thursday golden retriever dumb well control box slipcover dvd medical technologists forum are crocs edible doctor's visit cost define intense incest board snow removal flamethrower six gauge shotgun septic cleanse reviews nice rack meaning phillips lady snafu etymology name partner cat restless change tie rods triangle head screwdriver mythbusters jessie define jebus street horizontal guess my education level quiz does rat poison kill mice baseboard heater cost per month louann king of the hill statue on the front of a ship michael michael motorcycle lyrics why is american food so bland ohio lottery pick 4 box payout how heavy is gold bar how long does it take for a parachute to open is it illegal to use bear spray on a human how many 20 bills in a bundle does popcorn pop above sea level blood pressure 210 120 trader joes artichoke antipasto blue tint headlight bulbs new orleans shoe trick where did the knife game come from does iron make you constipated does the un have any power it's a living thing lyrics meaning steel wool to clean glass what if saruman got the ring captain stern heavy metal how to clean a walking boot cast pt cruiser front or rear wheel drive what is lob in baseball kidde 10 year smoke alarm keeps going off where is thumper song c diff message board how late does fedex deliver packages where can i take a free shower waiter salary high end restaurant