PDA

View Full Version : Politically Incorrect Brand Names

Zenster
01-20-2001, 04:16 PM
Let's see, how about;

Laura Scudders' "Wampum" corn chips with the "Injun" on the bag (~1960's).

Lays' "The Frito Bandito", did that one have a short life or what (~1970's)?

(Little Black) Sambo's Restaurants, were they ever popular in the south?

Let's see how many other defunct (or extant) un-PC brand names that we can come up with.

As an aside, has anyone noticed that in Europe the depiction of ethnic stereotypes is more common and not universally lambasted? The really odd racial characterizations of xenophobic Japanese products are another matter though. Feel free to mention them as well.

AWB
01-20-2001, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Zenster

The Bandito Song
Aye, yi, yi yi...
I am the Frito Bandito.
I love Frito's Corn Chips
I love them, I do
I love Frito's Corn Chips
I take them from you...

Boy, that is some useless knowledge stuck in my head! :D:D

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
01-20-2001, 04:47 PM
Chinese Cherry and Injun Orange Funny Faces (1960s, sorta like Kool-Aid). They were later changed to Choo Choo Cherry and Jolly Olly Orange.

Zenster
01-20-2001, 05:09 PM
Let us not forget "Ayds" diet candy.

Man is that one ever gone for good!

jayjay
01-20-2001, 06:07 PM
Let us not forget "Ayds" diet candy.

Man is that one ever gone for good!

Though Ayds was around before AIDS. I remember the commercials! (Does that make me old?)

On-topic:

My dad collects old paper advertising, so I've seen a lot of late 19th and early 20th century brand names that just are no more, like Ni**er-head Tobacco. And the advertising in general was easily racist, even against other white ethnicities. The Irish and Italians were an easy target at the time, as well as Asians and Native Americans.

Revtim
01-20-2001, 06:15 PM
One can find lots of old racist brand-named stuff on Ebay (but don't tell France! They'll sue!)

divemaster
01-20-2001, 10:08 PM
According to The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste, there was a gas station in Mississippi (in the 30s) in the shape of a black mammy. Called "Mammy Gas."

delphica
01-21-2001, 02:52 AM
Wow Mjollnir, I haven't thought of Funny Face in years ... thanks for that little nostalgia trip.

The product that always gets my goat is Crazy Horse Malt Liquor. Crazy Horse the person, by all accounts, was very against alcohol use.

Badtz Maru
01-21-2001, 03:01 AM
Lender's Bagles?

Qadgop the Mercotan
01-21-2001, 01:32 PM
Well, there are still currently the candies called sugar babies and sugar daddy. Originally they were n***er babies and daddy

snac
01-21-2001, 01:47 PM
Don't know about a Mississippi gas station called Mammy's, but just south of Natchez on Rt. 61 there stands to this day a restaurant plus gift shop, called Mammy's. It is quite a sight. There is a statue of a black mammy about fifty feet tall, with a silly grin on her face and holding out a tray towards an invisible Massa across the road. The statue is wearing a hoop skirt, inside which is the restaurant itself (ponder that symbolism for a little while)...and then it extends back behind her.

I'm a Northern boy and I found I simply could not go into the place...I did duck my head in for an instant, saw a bunch of all white people sitting and evidently enjoying their meals, but it felt like looking into a dirty bookstore or something, so that was as far as I could go. Did snap a picture, and picked up a postcard or two, though.

Quite a remarkable experience.

AskNott
01-21-2001, 01:53 PM
You can still buy Spic 'n' Span detergent anywhere.

Max Torque
01-21-2001, 02:21 PM
Do they still make those "Big Chief" paper tablets for elementary school kids?

Odesio
01-21-2001, 02:35 PM
Let's see, how about;

Let's see how many other defunct (or extant) un-PC brand names that we can come up with.

As an aside, has anyone noticed that in Europe the depiction of ethnic stereotypes is more common and not universally lambasted? The really odd racial characterizations of xenophobic Japanese products are another matter though. Feel free to mention them as well.

WHatever happened to the Frito Bandito?

Marc

UncleBeer
01-21-2001, 03:00 PM
Busty Penetrating Oil (http://absurdgallery.com/busty.html)
Indian Chief Catnip (http://absurdgallery.com/cat.html). Note the manufacturer's name.

Zenster
01-21-2001, 03:15 PM
You get the "Bent Site of the Day" award there Unca Beer!

Zarathustra
01-21-2001, 05:52 PM
Darkie Toothpaste (http://tias.com/stores/scallop/pictpages/Black_Memorabilia/fan-darktp.html) was sold in Hong Kong and Taiwan at least until the late 80s. They've since changed the English name on the label to "Darlie", but the Chinese brand still translates as "Black Man Toothpaste".

CalMeacham
01-21-2001, 05:55 PM
Quote:

WHatever happened to the Frito Bandito?

Marc

Answer: They replaced him with "W.C. Fritos", apparently figuring that drunken irascible characters were better than cultural stereotypes.

Actually, the Frito Bandito lasted a pretty long time. IIRC, he started out in the 1960s.

Annie
01-21-2001, 08:40 PM
On "Ken Burns' Jazz", there was a 30's photo of a sign advertising "N..... Chicken" on some roadside. How f*&^& quaint.

Still in existence in many Florida communities is the 'Crisp Coon Funeral Parlour' chain. I made my hostess drive back past that one for the obligatory photo.

screech-owl
01-21-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Annie
...Still in existence in many Florida communities is the 'Crisp Coon Funeral Parlour' chain. I made my hostess drive back past that one for the obligatory photo.

Whoa! I've been through a lot of Florida and missed this one. Where abouts?

I remember reading an article on Japanese product names, including "Pickaninny Toothpaste" (logo was a wide-eyed, black-faced, white-lipped smiling child, hair in braids & bows).

Mammie
01-22-2001, 09:06 AM
How about Aunt Jemima?

Stella*Fantasia
01-22-2001, 10:43 AM
The Quaker Oats guy. Quakers do not look or dress any different from anybody else.

hawthorne
01-22-2001, 10:52 AM
Coon is about the most popular brand of cheese in Australia. It was named after a Dr Coon. It is vile bland garbage BTW.

Eve
01-22-2001, 11:00 AM
AWB—Dammit, now you have the Frito Bandito song running through my head. I have a phonographic memory; the words were actually:

I yi, yi, yi
I am the Frito Bandito!
Give me Frito's corn chips and I'll be your friend;
The Frito Bandito you must not offend . . .

Oh, and you can still buy postcards of an old brand of fruit called "Gay Cock." Big seller in the Village.

Spoke
01-22-2001, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mammie
How about Aunt Jemima?

Or Uncle Ben?

We also still have Red Man Chewing Tobacco.

SeatTime
01-22-2001, 12:33 PM
KKK turbochargers
Not politically incorrect, just unfortunately named.
The company started in Germany in the '50s (Kuhnle Kopp Kausch).
Now, it's part of Borg-Warner (http://3k-warner.de/english/unternehmen/geschichte.htm), an automotive supply company.

Annie
01-22-2001, 06:57 PM
One day I'll learn to quote.

The Crisp Coon is in some town adjacent to Winter Haven FLA. When I went to the photo album to indeed confirm the name, I found a photo of me standing next to the "Cracker Country" sign at the FLA state fair, and my fave, the fry shack sign reading "Spiral Fries-America's Love Affair With Fresh Healthy Food".

How grody. Everyone knows corn fritters are God's true manna.

BickByro
01-22-2001, 07:12 PM
it's not quite as offensive as "ni&&er daddy," but it DOES still exist...

the national temp-to-hire agency known as "Manpower" has always seemed a bit un-PC to me, especially considering that the company places jobs in all fields--not just heavy manual labor.

poohpah chalupa
01-22-2001, 09:39 PM
"Cheese-Nips" and "Coffee-Nips"

Totoro
01-22-2001, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Stella*Fantasia
The Quaker Oats guy. Quakers do not look or dress any different from anybody else.

I should know, I am a quaker.

I can still find the Chinese cherry candies around my local stores...

scr4
01-23-2001, 02:30 AM
The SNAFU Rim Job (http://snafubmx.com/Pages/_products/tireshm.html) tires. Maxxis (http://maxxistires.com/) tires are almost as embarrasing to buy, with names like Hookworm, Slick Willy, and Ringworm. (My recumbent bike uses BMX-size tires so I have to buy these.)

dave99
01-23-2001, 02:51 AM
I know of a Scandanavian motorcycle parts company that goes by the unfortunate name "White Power".

black rabbit
01-23-2001, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Badtz Maru
Lender's Bagles?

oof.

Zenster
01-23-2001, 05:21 AM
[James Dean]

Boy Howdy!

[/James Dean]

Best Topics: paarthunax dilemma washing an afghan i hate oatmeal purple rhymes lowes code 3 rare surnames bear wheel alignment jetstreambox 4 drano poison purchase nitrous oxide macgruber rotten tomatoes jailbait oops joe namath nylons percussion songs ge security scams pill index side tails theodore rex imdb greasy butt m99 dexter sued for peace toast rice cakes modern plate armor fuel pump shutoff dispose microwave cf. abbreviation sedate cat zzzquil reviews yahoo ck2 rape mod schmenge brothers apocalypse thanos secret asian why won't my toilet flush all the way why did armies fight in lines dogs crying in sleep sheet metal fence designs we don't need no water let the mother fucker burn is it weird for a guy to shave his pubes camel non filter vs lucky strike fear of ranch dressing how to remove permanent marker from car acrylic blanket with satin trim queen size easy peasy lemon squeezy movie quote how to remove a splinter under a fingernail car window solar fan how to put a dog to sleep painlessly how to glue rubber i couldn t breathe knapsack on a stick how do you pronounce ng how old is a chair stuffed with horsehair 10% of bail strong liquors that taste good get your filthy hands off me nfl game rewind review how much does it cost to get your car out of impound how to seal leaky pvc joint does my phone number spell anything super glue on circuit board i want my cat to die wear underwear with pajamas i robot movie vs book 1800 got junk price chart types of clubs to join