PDA

View Full Version : Vegans and insulin use?

Bijou Drains
06-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Until recently most type I diabetics used insulin from animals such as cows and pigs. Since you need insulin to survive if you are type I diabetic I assume that this was OK for vegans?

Starting in 2006 all insulin in the US is made by recombinant DNA techniques using E. coli bacteria. I suppose bacteria is an animal but once again I don't think a type I diabetic can live without insulin so they don't have much choice in the matter.

Qadgop the Mercotan
06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I suppose bacteria is an animal You suspect incorrectly. Bacteria are simple single-celled organisms that don't even rise to the level of a plant.

Bijou Drains
06-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I guess it's a moot point since lack of insulin = death for type I. Or did I get that wrong?

WhyNot
06-27-2010, 10:00 PM
I guess it's a moot point since lack of insulin = death for type I. Or did I get that wrong?

You are correct that a Type I diabetic needs insulin to live.

As to your larger question, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. There was no Food Police to bust a vegan for taking animal derived insulin. People had mixed opinions on the matter. Of course, most people view lifesaving medicine as an exception to moral veganism, but there are some who don't.

There are some who try to make a vegan using insulin into a hypocrite for political reasons, even though the accuser themselves might not have been vegan. PETA Senior Vice President MaryBeth Sweetland has faced a lot of flak for using insulin. Sometimes it's claimed her insulin has animal components (she's confirmed this in interviews) and sometimes that it's tested on animals, and the subtext is always that she's a hypocrite for using lifesaving medicine which exploited animals in its creation while she heads PETA, a group dedicated to promoting extreme animal rights, including no medical testing on animals and veganism.

Bijou Drains
06-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I did not expect a food police, I was just curious what opinions were about the subject.

Are there any cases where a vegan turned down animal insulin and chose to die? I would be surprised if that happened.

WhyNot
06-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Are there any cases where a vegan turned down animal insulin and chose to die? I would be surprised if that happened.

Well, there were certainly patients who were not happy about it. Here's a study about one guy in the early '80s refused it outright, and was successfully treated with the then new recombinant human derived insulin (http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6765533).

Best Topics: gabe mirkin quack gee haw definition define ephebophilia rick hoffman imdb edging dares skil tools review cunt punting california storm lucifer excel tilde hair trapped the sleeper hold no ionic tankless toilet bowl kosher dills conning officer bondo hardener substitute jcpenney thongs warts with hair exorcist subliminal firefly watch order newpaper carrier shenandoah song gunshots noise middle school shower xylophone song ncis smoked red typewriters will cologne freeze alberti popaj nationality are convertibles girly attacking from kamchatka sleep 24 hours straight can palm trees grow in washington state warm spot on floor are dentists medical doctors all-american look morgans restaurant kitchen nightmares clothing starting with i let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky beep beep disco song weight of one cubic yard of concrete does a longer barrel increase range alcohol or hydrogen peroxide how to drain a waterbed george foreman grill sandwich press what does a plus sign mean in front of a phone number speed racer number 73 v/r salutation when did the royal family lose power selling car license plate how often do fillings need to be replaced lyrics to judy blue eyes business undergrad to engineering masters what does mellow yellow mean miss sally had a steamboat lyrics pickling cucumber vs regular cucumber furnace starts but then shuts off can blood thinners make you feel cold why does santa say ho ho ho how to light a fart on fire hit and run license plate does beano really work