PDA

View Full Version : Why the hell even bother with internet tracking USPS.

wolfman
12-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Why they hell are my tax dollars going to support this "process"? Has anybody in the history of time ever actually had anything show up on their website before it was delivered? If you are going to claim package tracking, then allow me to track my fucking package. I live alone, I don't sit waiting by the mailbox, I am at work. If I have something really important coming, I need to figure out when so I can slip out of work to get it.

Their commercial brag on package packing, but they don't use. I feel like Seinfeld at the car rental counter. I don't think they understand the tracking number. Anybody can give a tracking number, the key to the whole thing is to actually track the package.

Shoujin
12-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Why they hell are my tax dollars going to support this "process"?

As a Letter Carrier, it always makes me chuckle when someone comments on their tax dollars funding my employment. Your tax dollars haven't funded any USPS actions for over 35 years. :smack:

Now, tracking your delivery confirmation parcel shouldn't be difficult. If it is, then someone along the way isn't doing their job, in which case your ire is justified.

Jeep's Phoenix
12-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Forget package tracking...how about package delivery? I ordered a comic book the first week in October that was supposed to ship USPS; it has yet to arrive. Yeah, the company was great about replacing it...but from now on I'm using UPS or FedEx for shipping. I'll pay a lot more, but at least the package will get here!

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Forget package tracking...how about package delivery? I ordered a comic book the first week in October that was supposed to ship USPS; it has yet to arrive.

C'mon, the postal workers just aren't finished reading it yet! (Yuk yuk yuk.)

mhendo
12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Why they hell are my tax dollars going to support this "process"?They're not. Their commercial brag on package packing, but they don't use.Is English your first, or even second language? I feel like Seinfeld at the car rental counter. You sound more like Costanza at his parents' place.

gazpacho
12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I approve of this pitting. The usps package tracking is completely useless.

Rack-a-Bones
12-03-2010, 08:17 PM
USPS is no longer federally funded by tax dollars, but that has been covered.

I believe the OPs ire lies in the fact that while the USPS touts "package tracking" as a feature, what it really amounts to is delivery confirmation. Whereas UPS will trace the package's journey from pickup to transfer stations to your doorstep, USPS merely tells you when the package was delivered. So to the OP I suggest using UPS, which really isn't that expensive, or have your package delivered to work.

suranyi
12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I just looked online to see the tracking of a package that was supposed to be delivered today. It says it is delayed because it was "mis sorted".

That's just fantastic.

EvilTOJ
12-04-2010, 04:37 AM
USPS is no longer federally funded by tax dollars, but that has been covered.

I believe the OPs ire lies in the fact that while the USPS touts "package tracking" as a feature, what it really amounts to is delivery confirmation. Whereas UPS will trace the package's journey from pickup to transfer stations to your doorstep, USPS merely tells you when the package was delivered. So to the OP I suggest using UPS, which really isn't that expensive, or have your package delivered to work.

As will FedEx and DHL. So why can't the USPS buy the same software one of the private carriers use?

Leaper
12-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Weird, I tracked my packages through Amazon just fine.

Does the Amazon connection do something different or something?

rayman5321
12-04-2010, 06:25 AM
The USPS tracking system is useless. It has never worked for me.

badlyburnttoast
12-04-2010, 06:59 AM
last time I had a package sent USPS, the tracking said it was already delivered.... but I didn't have it.

I went to the post office to ask about it, and the guy said that's normal, it happens all the time, it probably means it arrived there and was waiting to be delivered and to give it a few days. Sure enough, it finally showed up two days AFTER the tracking said it had been delivered to me.

Between that and how much longer it took to get it (over a week when UPS is usually 2 - 3 days) I don't use USPS anymore..... It's worth the extra money to use a real shipping service.

FairyChatMom
12-04-2010, 07:44 AM
My experience has been that the tracking updates will tell me my package has been delivered 2 or 3 days after the fact. I just quit using that service - it seemed like a waste. Not that I ship much any more...

Sattua
12-04-2010, 08:57 AM
I lost three packages last winter because my mail carrier randomly decided that I didn't live at my address anymore, and returned them without ever trying to deliver them. WTF? Package tracking was indeed useless... since they were never delivered, NOTHING ever showed up in the tracking information.

fumster
12-04-2010, 11:06 AM
I think USPS is awesome. Priority mail rocks and Click 'n Ship is much easier to use than UPS or Fed Ex's software. I have sent hundreds of packages that way and have been quite happy with it. I think y'all should go back and drink some tea.

Rack-a-Bones
12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
As will FedEx and DHL. So why can't the USPS buy the same software one of the private carriers use?

It is my understanding that they do, however; they don't take the time of effort to utilize it correctly. UPS's distribution system is set up so they can scan the package at each step. It is my understanding that USPS doesn't do this because they don't have the processes in place and/or doing so would actually increase the time it takes to ship the package.

I lost three packages last winter because my mail carrier randomly decided that I didn't live at my address anymore, and returned them without ever trying to deliver them. WTF? Package tracking was indeed useless... since they were never delivered, NOTHING ever showed up in the tracking information.

This happened to my neighbor. He didn't pick up his mail for a few weeks and the carrier decided he didn't live there anymore so his carrier decided he didn't live there and all his mail was designated as "return to sender." He didn't mind because he is one of those 'live off the grid' type of personalities.

I think USPS is awesome. Priority mail rocks and Click 'n Ship is much easier to use than UPS or Fed Ex's software. I have sent hundreds of packages that way and have been quite happy with it. I think y'all should go back and drink some tea.

USPS is indeed awesome. I too am very happy with their services and prices. What we've found here is that their tracking system isn't really tracking the package but rather confirming delivery. And apparently it doesn't confirm delivery to your house, but rather at the local distribution center. If USPS loses a package between the origin and the destination they will have no way of telling you where it went lost. UPS, FedEx,et.al. can narrow down where the package went missing. Also, with UPS at least, their insurance and procedures for reimbursement in the event of a lost package are much more friendly for you than USPS.

mhendo
12-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Yesterday, at about 10:30 a.m., i sent a small package by USPS Express Mail from San Diego to upstate New York.

This morning when i got out of bed, i checked online for the status of the package, and the USPS website ave me details of the package's departure from San Diego and its arrival in Syracuse. A few hours later, another check told me that it had arrived in Utica, and was out for delivery. It was delivered at about 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

All recorded and updated on the website.

tumbleddown
12-05-2010, 05:09 AM
IWhat we've found here is that their tracking system isn't really tracking the package but rather confirming delivery.
That's because unless the package was sent via Express Mail, then all you can get is Delivery Confirmation. That's the name of the service. If you look on the little green and white receipt that has the "tracking" number on it, it says "Delivery Confirmation" right at the top. Only Express Mail, which is handled differently, is eligible for point to point tracking, but USPS counter workers routinely sell Delivery Confirmation on Priority Mail and Parcel Post by calling it "tracking." Every bit of training and documentation says that they should not but they do it all the time anyway. (Small consolation, if they do it when they're mystery shopped, which happens twice a month at non-rural USPS stations, they lose points on the assessment.)

It doesn't help that on the website, the box where you type in the Delivery Confirmation number for non-Express mail and the Return Receipt number for Express mail are the same box, with the misleading label "Track & Confirm." Poor showing there, USPS.

But in any case, rather than pitting the entire postal service, pit the employee who tried to sell you something that the USPS just doesn't offer for the type of mail that you sent.

KarlGrenze
12-05-2010, 05:52 AM
USPS workers have breached federal law TWICE to my parents. I sent a package priority mail. It arrived a week later than it should be, and the contents had been replaced. Instead of the presents I had gotten them in Brazil, they got an English-Spanish dictionary and a can of chili peppers. That was 3-4 years ago. Just a few weeks ago, my sister sent them some DVDs by regular mail. Instead of the DVDs, they got a cheap tape recorder.

The problem is, under USPS rules, it is up to the receiver to be mainly in charge of the complain. My parents don't want to create a fuss, so they won't do much. My sister and I, OTOH, want to prosecute the scum who did that. We'd rather have our stuff stolen than have someone deliberately steal it and replace it with something else, as a prank. They can stuff the chili can and tape recorder up their... well.. enough.

That aside, I usually like the service they offer. Except for some reason, the branches closest to me won't accept cards (either debit or American Express). Only cash and check. What's up with that?

mozchron
12-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Yesterday, at about 10:30 a.m., i sent a small package by USPS Express Mail from San Diego to upstate New York.

This morning when i got out of bed, i checked online for the status of the package, and the USPS website ave me details of the package's departure from San Diego and its arrival in Syracuse. A few hours later, another check told me that it had arrived in Utica, and was out for delivery. It was delivered at about 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

All recorded and updated on the website.

You sent this Express Mail. I worked as a postal clerk for 3 years in college. Express mail is the ONLY category of mail where the package is tracked and logged at every stage of the delivery process. It comes in special sealed postal bags with logged numbered tags, and all packages are logged at each step. If I am sending something USPS and I NEED to make sure it get there, Express is the only way I send it.

Khadaji
12-05-2010, 01:27 PM
While in general I have respect for the USPS, I have to agree that their package tracking is useless. UPS does it very well. Fed Ex is usually good. USPS might as well not do it at all, for as useful as it is.

Starving Artist
12-05-2010, 01:55 PM
But in any case, rather than pitting the entire postal service, pit the employee who tried to sell you something that the USPS just doesn't offer for the type of mail that you sent.The USPS should make it plain on the part of their website involving tracking that tracking is only done on Express Mail and Parcel Post with delivery confirmation? As this thread illustrates, the USPS is making itself look very bad in the eyes of many people around the country by having a tracking page on its site that encourages people to track their items but then tells them nothing about the progress of those items other than that they have left their point of origin.

elmwood
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
I mailed off a watch to Connecticut for repair yesterday, insured with delivery confirmation. Here's what USPS tracking tells me so far ...

* Processed through Sort Facility, December 04, 2010, 10:28 pm, ROCHESTER, NY 14606
* Acceptance, December 04, 2010, 11:32 am, GETZVILLE, NY 14068

Okay, so far, so good.

kathmandu
12-05-2010, 06:42 PM
While in general I have respect for the USPS, I have to agree that their package tracking is useless. UPS does it very well. Fed Ex is usually good. USPS might as well not do it at all, for as useful as it is.

I've never had any problems with USPS. UPS, on the other hand, is usually a complete nightmare. I ordered a package from Amazon to be delivered via two day priority international courier. That was a week and a half ago. Nobody has any idea where the package is. The UPS tracking website insists on telling me that it's sitting at the depot in Calgary, which is impossible because everybody agrees that the package did not ever clear customs.

USPS, on the other hand, usually gets it to me before the estimated time of delivery. If they deliver it one time, I don't need package tracking. Maybe the USPS likes their Canadian customers better?

Annie
12-07-2010, 12:32 AM
I've never had any problems with USPS. UPS, on the other hand, is usually a complete nightmare. I ordered a package from Amazon to be delivered via two day priority international courier. That was a week and a half ago. Nobody has any idea where the package is. The UPS tracking website insists on telling me that it's sitting at the depot in Calgary, which is impossible because everybody agrees that the package did not ever clear customs.

USPS, on the other hand, usually gets it to me before the estimated time of delivery. If they deliver it one time, I don't need package tracking. Maybe the USPS likes their Canadian customers better?

Yeah, when stuff come USPS/Canada Post and I'm not home, they take it to the drugstore depot half a mile thataway, leave a note in my mailbox telling me to go get it at the drugstore, I have it by dessert time. UPS, it's stickers on the door, then off to the website where I can leave instructions for redirection, resulting in another day or 2 delay. At least with them I can track; I have a few things in the grimy mitts of DHL and to sign up for their tracking I have to open an account, and hand over a CC number. Hmm, bite me? Thanks muchly.
Oh yeah, Lands End/Amazon? How about when I order you let me know what shipper you use so I can give you my work address, or not, as appropriate.

Runs With Scissors
12-07-2010, 01:48 AM
With UPS and FedEx, I damn near get the pilot's voiceover with tracking: "Envelopes and packages, this is your captain. We are currently fourth in line for takeoff..."

"Envelopes and packages, this is your captain. We're now at 25 feet and climbing..."

"Envelopes and packages, this is your captain. If this plane had windows and you were in a window seat on the left hand side of the plane...and it were daytime...you'd see the Grand Canyon approximately 250 miles to the north..."

USPS? Nothing. Ever. They seem like they can barely handle confirmation even though they promise "tracking."

Jeep's Phoenix
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Totally off-topic question: why do some stores ship the package UPS, but ship it to the local post office rather than your home?

Sattua
12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Jeep's Phoenix, I do not know.

What I do know is that I currently have two USPS tracking numbers for packages in the mail. The sum total of tracking information available for one of them is

"Tracking information received 12/12/2010"

And the other,

"Tracking information received 12/13/2010"

Gee thanks

Ferret Herder
12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Maybe too much tracking info is a bad thing... my coworker ordered something online last week via FedEx and was told it'd arrive at her apartment (here in Chicago) tomorrow. On Tuesday the tracking information showed it had arrived here in Chicago - hooray, early delivery! Or not. The next tracking info showed it being loaded back onto a truck headed for Wisconsin. :eek:

pbbth
12-16-2010, 12:00 PM

UPS and FedEx tend to royally screw up my package delivery. With USPS I can't track it but I can be sure it will reach the destination sooner or later. In the past 3 years I have had packages shipped to me by UPS and FedEx stolen, damaged so badly the gift was unusable, and at least a dozen stickers on my door from where the delivery guy showed up but never knocked or rang the bell to let anyone know he was there. He literally just walked up, put a sticker on the door, and went back to the truck. What the hell was the point of having him deliver a package if he isn't going to actually attempt to deliver it? I love the USPS and they always do a fabulous job.

DrDeth
12-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Works OK for me. It's helpful when it show they were unable to deliver, so it is at the PO. It also showed once when the package WASN'T delivered so I could get a eBay refund.

UPS is fine as long as my regular driver isn't on vacation.:( The temp drivers like to play "drop the notice and run" (as pbbth sez) leaving the regular guy with crap-loads of back deliveries to do.

FedEX is super-craptastic. The local driver is well known to be incompetant and untrustworthy. He refuses to deliver to me as I wrote a complaint letter to HQ about him, and FedEX is OK with that "He's a independent contractor". :rolleyes:

DrDeth
12-16-2010, 12:38 PM
USPS workers have breached federal law TWICE to my parents. I sent a package priority mail. It arrived a week later than it should be, and the contents had been replaced. Instead of the presents I had gotten them in Brazil, they got an English-Spanish dictionary and a can of chili peppers. That was 3-4 years ago. Just a few weeks ago, my sister sent them some DVDs by regular mail. Instead of the DVDs, they got a cheap tape recorder.

How do you know it was USPS?

Ferret Herder
12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Maybe too much tracking info is a bad thing... my coworker ordered something online last week via FedEx and was told it'd arrive at her apartment (here in Chicago) tomorrow. On Tuesday the tracking information showed it had arrived here in Chicago - hooray, early delivery! Or not. The next tracking info showed it being loaded back onto a truck headed for Wisconsin. :eek:
Update from her: the package returned to Chicago, after its detour to Wisconsin, on Wednesday. Today's tracking update from FedEx? They're handing it off to the USPS, and the selling company's estimate on delivery is now something to the effect of "give it a couple more days."

Yeah. Well I'm thinking the Friday delivery date would have been met if FedEx hadn't sent the package on a trip to Wisconsin, and maybe if they could have trusted/bothered their own drivers to find an apartment in Wrigleyville in Chicago. It's not like they're dealing with bumblefuck-nowhere that hasn't seen a FedEx truck ever and the rural USPS carrier that delivers out of his car gives directions there that include instructions like 'turn left at the dead tree.'

Lare
12-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Jeep's Phoenix, I do not know.

What I do know is that I currently have two USPS tracking numbers for packages in the mail. The sum total of tracking information available for one of them is

"Tracking information received 12/12/2010"

And the other,

"Tracking information received 12/13/2010"

Gee thanks
I believe that means that the package is in the computer system but has not yet been scanned by a carrier/clerk. In other words, a computer told another computer that a package was coming, maybe even charged the shipping on line, but a USPS human hasn't yet touched the package.

Baracus
12-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Yeah. Well I'm thinking the Friday delivery date would have been met if FedEx hadn't sent the package on a trip to Wisconsin, and maybe if they could have trusted/bothered their own drivers to find an apartment in Wrigleyville in Chicago. It's not like they're dealing with bumblefuck-nowhere that hasn't seen a FedEx truck ever and the rural USPS carrier that delivers out of his car gives directions there that include instructions like 'turn left at the dead tree.'
This isn't about Fedex not trusting/bothering its drivers. It is about the sender saving a couple bucks by using Fedex's Smartpost service (http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/outbound/index.html).

Gangster Octopus
12-16-2010, 02:49 PM
FYI, Popular MEchanics tested how they three major shipping companiestreated packages (http://popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/which-shipping-company-is-kindest-to-your-packages). What stands ou is the number of times a package gets flipped by USPS.

Merijeek
12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I just looked online to see the tracking of a package that was supposed to be delivered today. It says it is delayed because it was "mis sorted".

That's just fantastic.

My favorite was when UPS failed to deliver a package to my house because I wasn't there. So, next day I make sure to get home early, since it had to be signed for. I check tracking periodically throughout the day, just to make sure there's no "dude, I totally tried to deliver it" moments.

What do I see? "RETURNED TO SENDER. ILLEGIBLE DESTINATION ADDRESS".

Really, you asshats? You could read it YESTERDAY.

It took a good three hours of arguing to explain to them that once it got back to the sender they were going to overnight it for free.

Useless pricks.

Ferret Herder
12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
This isn't about Fedex not trusting/bothering its drivers. It is about the sender saving a couple bucks by using Fedex's Smartpost service (http://fedex.com/us/smartpost/outbound/index.html).
Yeah, I know it exists, I'm just a tad confused about how FedEx is saving money here. It took a needless detour into a completely different state after arriving in Chicago, and isn't even going somewhere that's out of the way for FedEx. I guess the sending company may be getting their money's worth for the vacation road trip their merchandise has gone on, but my coworker hasn't gotten her money's worth, especially if the item is delivered later than what she was told it would be.

Ferret Herder
12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
FYI, Popular MEchanics tested how they three major shipping companiestreated packages (http://popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/which-shipping-company-is-kindest-to-your-packages). What stands ou is the number of times a package gets flipped by USPS.
And yet the gentlest handling of the three. Huh.

Ferret Herder
12-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I know it exists, I'm just a tad confused about how FedEx is saving money here. It took a needless detour into a completely different state after arriving in Chicago, and isn't even going somewhere that's out of the way for FedEx. I guess the sending company may be getting their money's worth for the vacation road trip their merchandise has gone on, but my coworker hasn't gotten her money's worth, especially if the item is delivered later than what she was told it would be.
Heh, I just found out, this is the package she's having shipped to her here at work. Where I know our FedEx delivery person by name, and her regular daily (M-F) route is our hospital. Instead, this will give it to USPS to bring here, and has to come through our loading dock, and then interoffice mail... Yeah. She'll probably have it by Christmas if it arrives tomorrow. :p

KarlGrenze
12-16-2010, 04:41 PM
How do you know it was USPS?

I don't exactly understand the question.

I sent my package to the post office. It went from my hand to the USPS. It should be under the care (?) or a least, in the "hands" of someone at USPS all the time until it arrives to the destination. And from there, it should be picked up only by those named in the package (my parents).

My parents did not receive my package within the time it should have arrived, considering it was sent priority mail. It arrived a week later, with other tapes I hadn't put, and with contents that were not the ones I sent.

The same thing happened to my sister.

If you want to nitpick, it wasn't USPS as an organization, but certainly someone (or more than one) who works with the USPS has tampered with my mail, when they shouldn't have (isn't it a federal crime?).

DrDeth
12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't exactly understand the question.

I sent my package to the post office. It went from my hand to the USPS. It should be under the care (?) or a least, in the "hands" of someone at USPS all the time until it arrives to the destination. And from there, it should be picked up only by those named in the package (my parents).

My parents did not receive my package within the time it should have arrived, considering it was sent priority mail. It arrived a week later, with other tapes I hadn't put, and with contents that were not the ones I sent.

The same thing happened to my sister.

If you want to nitpick, it wasn't USPS as an organization, but certainly someone (or more than one) who works with the USPS has tampered with my mail, when they shouldn't have (isn't it a federal crime?).

Did it go through Customs, ie International (you mentioned stuff from Brazil). Or, was it left at your parents door in which case a neighbor may have messed with it? In that case, it is the USPS's responsibilty, but hardly a criminal action on their part.

Morbo
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
My UPS guy drops the packages at the door with filled-out "we missed you" sticker already in hand, leaves the package, then runs back to his truck and drives away. He doesn't knock or ring the bell at all.

How do I know? Because two times I was working from home, heard someone on the stairs and looked out, (which I always do - it's obvious that means someone is coming to the door), and saw him from my window walking away before I could even get out of my desk chair.

The third time I was on the porch reading a book and saw his whole schtick. I cleared my throat and said "excuse me?" and he was quite startled and still kept walking back to his truck. I had to say it again and ask him to stop so I could sign and receive my package. The note was already on the door, and he didn't even have the package on him - it was still in his truck. I was so shocked that I didn't have the sense to bitch him out.

My FedEx guy is awesome - he knocks on the door and rings the bell, waits a reasonable amount of time, and even brings cat treats for the stray cat that lives on my porch. He's finally gotten the stray to accept scratches from him, to his delight.

KarlGrenze
12-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Did it go through Customs, ie International (you mentioned stuff from Brazil). Or, was it left at your parents door in which case a neighbor may have messed with it? In that case, it is the USPS's responsibilty, but hardly a criminal action on their part.

It went through airplane, but not through customs. I sent the stuff, which I got from Brazil, from mainland United States. IOW, my package was a simple rare gift. My sister's DVDs were also sent from mainland US.

My parents live in an apartment building. When they get a package that doesn't fit the mailbox, they get a slip of paper telling them to go pick up the package at the post office.

DrDeth
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
It went through airplane, but not through customs. I sent the stuff, which I got from Brazil, from mainland United States. IOW, my package was a simple rare gift. My sister's DVDs were also sent from mainland US.

My parents live in an apartment building. When they get a package that doesn't fit the mailbox, they get a slip of paper telling them to go pick up the package at the post office.

I have heard of eBay sellers (and even buyers) very rarely trying the old "shipping something else but with the same weight" scam, but what you are trying to tell us is that out of the zillions of packages mailed every day, your innocuos package was picked out by a postal worker, who opened it and replaced the goods inside with something else? Why not just steal the goods, or the whole box? And, it happened twice.

BigT
12-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I have heard of eBay sellers (and even buyers) very rarely trying the old "shipping something else but with the same weight" scam, but what you are trying to tell us is that out of the zillions of packages mailed every day, your innocuos package was picked out by a postal worker, who opened it and replaced the goods inside with something else? Why not just steal the goods, or the whole box? And, it happened twice.

I would assume it was the postal worker doing the deliveries. At that level, there aren't nearly that many packages to have to rummage through. And I have known postal workers that steal.

Also, replacing the item increases the chance that no one will catch on to what they are doing. I mean, a package still got delivered, right?

Also, are you sure it goes back to the P.O., and not to some sort of front office for storage? That would be even less packages to go through. Or maybe the packages that wait at the post office are the only one the thief has access to. I know that the people who work at my post office are about to be out of a job anyways, as they are shutting down the entire thing due to lack of revenue. Even if it's just downsizing where you are, the thief could not really care about how much longer they are employed.

KarlGrenze
12-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Yes, it has happened to my parents twice. And yes, we think it is as bizarre as stupid as you think it is.

Our bet is that it was not the respective local post offices, but the centers/sorting facilities the mail went through before reaching destination. You know, the kind of sorting places where UPS, FedEx, and DHL track down the packages.

In the case of what I sent, there was some malicious thinking going on, too. My family is from Puerto Rico. I had a letter addressed to them (with the gifts in the box) written in Spanish. You know what they replaced all of that? A Spanish-English dictionary and a can of chili.

We do not think it was someone local to my parents' simply because the items being swapped are brands not found in their area.

Eva Luna
12-16-2010, 10:07 PM
At our new place, the building vestibule can only be opened with a key, so we have found that USPS and UPS both just leave the freaking packages out in the open on our front doorstep, completely exposed to the street and the elements. Fedex was a bit better - the shipper of our item (an expensive Persian rug) had refrained from requiring signature or declaring the value, so when I got notification that the package had been delivered although nobody was home to sign for it (we had planned on having to go pick it up at the depot anyway), I called and begged them to have the driver go pick it up - at least they'd left it on the back porch, which isn't quite so visible form the alley as the front porch is visible to the street.

Fedex was very helpful and apologetic, saying that if they'd known what the package was worth, they never would have left it unattended, regardless of what the shipper had indicated. The shipper (Overstock.com) refused to accept responsibility at all, and refused to guarantee that they would ship future packages signature required.

I've had UPS lie to me so many times about whether they even tried ringing the doorbell (and had to make so many 45-mile round-trips to their depot as a result) that I simply refuse to use them any more whenever I have any choice in the matter.

DrDeth
12-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Yes, it has happened to my parents twice. And yes, we think it is as bizarre as stupid as you think it is.

Our bet is that it was not the respective local post offices, but the centers/sorting facilities the mail went through before reaching destination. You know, the kind of sorting places where UPS, FedEx, and DHL track down the packages.

In the case of what I sent, there was some malicious thinking going on, too. My family is from Puerto Rico. I had a letter addressed to them (with the gifts in the box) written in Spanish. You know what they replaced all of that? A Spanish-English dictionary and a can of chili.

We do not think it was someone local to my parents' simply because the items being swapped are brands not found in their area.

Weird. I believe you, but still, it's weird.

Best Topics: men inserting tampons pineapple vodka recipes autoerotic asphyxia augsburger beer oil plug leak stevie nicks goat disney erotica neebish beach toilet flapper disintegrating crystal meth binge leg dent barack pronunciation godaddy sell domain taco de ojo definity hp100 reviews amt schedule d best aftermarket rotors submarine deck guns slingshot tubing lust se7en navy white hat kettle black saying exorcist subliminal replace license nj penny drops gimp def brian or bryan longest newborn baby mlna usps krelboyne meaning beethoven ancestry rabies aggression extra long snorkel why isn't austria part of germany why do watches stop working when i wear them import cars from australia does preshrunk cotton still shrink bullet breaking sound barrier demi lovato bacon number midnight and the kitties are sleeping japanese watches vs swiss watches song about leaving home rabies shots for humans cost medical term for booger what does the iron cross mean can i take a convertible through a carwash dehumidifier vs air conditioner energy use female dog anatomy pictures carnival vifp free cabin do suspensions go on your transcript dr strangelove ending explained fist over heart salute room essentials bookcase extra shelves pain on left side of chest after eating removing skin tag with string do british like american accent writing on skin with pen koch messer knives set gillette (singer) how to hypnotize yourself to sleep when was the ussr at its peak what is a rehoming fee i think my brother is hot u call it drinks pandora radio commercial song it started with a whisper best liquor to mix with dr pepper