PDA

View Full Version : What's this song please?

DVous Means
02-06-2001, 08:37 AM
There's a song I heard recently in which the chorus has the lines:

"The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire..."

and

"...let the motherfucker burn,
burn mother fucker, burn"

Surely someone as SDMB knows who it is and the name of the song. It sounds like the perfect thing to play very loud when I am feeling decidedly antisocial.

CnoteChris
02-06-2001, 08:47 AM
The Bloodhound Gang- The Roof.

"The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.
We don't need no water,
let the motherfucker burn,
burn motherfucker burn."

Kinda catchy, isn't it.

Simetra
02-06-2001, 08:56 AM
Yeah... I'm not black like Barry White. I am white like Frank Black is.

Isn't there an older 70s funk version of this song that's not like the Bloodhound Gang's little rap version? Or have I lost my bloody mind?

Wicked Blue
02-06-2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Simetra

Isn't there an older 70s funk version of this song that's not like the Bloodhound Gang's little rap version? Or have I lost my bloody mind?

You didn't lose your mind Simetra, I remember singing that in summer camp.
For years I thought it was made up by the little miscreants I hung around with. I still have no idea who did it though. :)
Rose

UncleBill
02-06-2001, 11:44 AM
Here is a link I found with a Yahoo search:

http://felchrecords.com/

avacado
02-06-2001, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Simetra
Yeah... I'm not black like Barry White. I am white like Frank Black is.

Speaking of Frank Black, the Bloodhound Gang also "borrowed" the lyrics from the Pixies on that same song. Bonus points to anyone who names the Pixies song.

avacado
02-06-2001, 02:56 PM
I remember hearing the older song on a great soul/funk show our student radio used to have, so I googled the lyrics, and came up with essentially nothing (usually searching for text passages is a great way to find stuff; my girlfriend catch plagarists in her classes this way. Moral: kids, plagarize from books, not the internet).

From what I could find out, the phrase is just something people said. There are cheerleading versions ("...we don't need no water, let the spirit rise higher") and (maybe?) protest versions ("...we don't need no water, let the mutherfucker burn"). Also, Tha Eastsidaz, Coal Chamber and who knows who else use the lines on records.

Google turned up all sorts of non-song related uses, as well as the phrase in live (unecorded) call-and-response hip hop sets. The DJ/MC would yell, "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire" and the audience would respond, "We don't need no water, let the mutherfucker burn", so it must have been a phrase people just knew, circa mid seventies or even earlier.

Maybe if someone has the Bloodhound Gang record, they can tell us if the funk song is cited in the liner notes. Probably not, though, since they just alluded to it, rather than sampled it.

We don't need no water
'Cause it's an electrical fire,

avacado

Hamadryad
02-06-2001, 03:11 PM
Yes, the Bloodhound Gang covered it. The original was by Rock Master Scott & The Dynamic Three. Talk about "Old School," yo...

You're welcome. :)

Hamadryad
02-06-2001, 03:24 PM
Oh, and as an aside, the Bloodhound Gang version is titled "Fire Water burn," and the Rock Master Scott version is called "The Roof Is On Fire."

Word up, yo. Or something.

Best Topics: florin city simpson kitchen curtains midas brakes reviews uss flag sasha alexandra oscar meyer braunschweiger money copier machine cup & saucer buy propylene alex blood donation frances conroy young windows key icon vending machine racket pomplamoose definition morals charge smelling metallic caliper slider bolts bicurious guys sinatra music genre piers anthony firefly grass calories bearded anime character raised on robbery clog proof gutters cheers opening plucking ear hair neighbor stealing electricity walmart butane refill toe picking flesh gel how to record an orchestra joseph a bank vs men's wearhouse can sweat glands be removed mailing prescription drugs fedex spilled water on keyboard keys not working how much does it cost to replace a chimney liner super thick facial hair how to use a basin wrench kitchen cat alone for a week 50 year old crown royal wedding park not invited songs about stormy weather sakrete maximizer concrete mix i don't know what i've been told eskimo cartoon character that whistles when he talks durk pearson and sandy shaw 2014 was einstein a vegan nausea from post nasal drip remedies where can i buy a poster tube do you keep the license plate when you sell a car how much does custom orthotics cost how much nyquil to kill you can i eat my own poop digital olive software oregonian does enterprise have unlimited mileage can you keep a raven as a pet going to a comedy show alone furniture fabric protection worth it 5w20 vs 5w30 synthetic oil sweden mailing address format how to stop headphone cord from twisting what is an iron cross what is the value of 30 pieces of silver today wii sword fighting games how to win at the money wheel