PDA

View Full Version : Deity for my Cleric in D&D

Kapelteta
03-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I have a friend from work who has talked me in to starting up a D&D gaming group with a few other friends. I chose to play a Cleric because i have enjoyed playing a healer in most multi-player video games that have the option. I have all of the stats figured out at this point, but i cant make a decision on a Deity.

The character is the heir of a small kingdom that was destroyed during a war between the two surrounding larger kingdoms. He then escapes and planes on adventuring to gain the money/allies to retake his homeland and return a little retribution on the two kingdoms that destroyed it.

I would prefer a Chaotic Good Deity with the Retribution Domain but have been unable to find one.

P.S. - The game is using the Forgotten Realms Deities along with the default D&D ones, and is using the 3.5 rule set.

Nava
03-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, my GMs assumed any list of deities was incomplete; if you wanted a deity which wasn't in the list but which made sense, you just invented it.

I propose to you that you worship the twin creator/destroyers Ogette and Og (or Og and Ogette), and that the excuse your neighbors had for attacking your country was a war of religion.

soulmurk
03-07-2011, 09:08 AM
As stated above, you can make up your own if you can't find one to fit your needs, or else you can not be devoted to any particular deity, but rather just select two domains that represent your spiritual inclinations.

CandidGamera
03-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Is your Character Chaotic Good? Is he or she human?

Retribution usually tends towards the other side of the alignment pie - Law, and Evil. But this link may help :

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Retribution_domain_deities

Uthgar and Shevarash are both Chaotic Neutral.

Gyrate
03-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I would think some of the less malevolent Trickster Gods might be worth looking at. They're certainly Chaotic; you just have to find one that's Good.

Kapelteta
03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I would really rather stay away from creating a deity for the moment, it seems daunting enough getting into D&D for the first time as is, and as for playing with no deity the DM has already stated that I will not be able to use some of the higher level spells such as resurrection without a deity.

@CandidGamera: I had already rejected Shev because I just didn't like his style... that business with killing one of his own because he fell in love with a Drow...

As for Uthgar I had skimmed his page and rejected him for being unduly complicated, but now that i take a closer look i might go for the Black Lion Clan.

@Gyrate: Trickster isn't exactly what I'm going for... I want my character to worship a god that will support and even forward his goal towards taking back and restoring what should of been his.

As for race, the character is Human and I would like to go for the Chaotic Good alignment

Gyrate
03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
@Gyrate: Trickster isn't exactly what I'm going for... I want my character to worship a god that will support and even forward his goal towards taking back and restoring what should of been his.Those aren't necessarily incompatible but you'd end up having to hustle your enemy into giving you what you want which is complicated and not as much fun as just hitting them with a sword until they fall apart.

CandidGamera
03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, Shevarash only really works for an Elf or Half-Elf. Uthgar's your closest match out of the default FR pantheon that gives the Retribution domain.

Oakminster
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Thor is Chaotic Good, and all about thunder and battle and such. Dunno about revenge, but I wouldn't put it past him. Particularly if giants or their ilk were involved.

Also think Horus was a god of vengence, dunno about alignment though.

Kapelteta
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Those aren't necessarily incompatible but you'd end up having to hustle your enemy into giving you what you want which is complicated and not as much fun as just hitting them with a sword until they fall apart.

I take your point, and yeah i really would like to go the way of beating up on them.

Thor is a good idea although I can't tell if hes part of the forgotten realms?

As for Horus he is a god of vengence but you have to be born into his order from what i read and my character is converted to the order while escaping...

P.S. - as for domains I know I will take the Retribution one if its available with the god I pick, but what then would be a good second one since I will also be the groups healer? The protection domain seems a little bleh, or am I missing something?

MHaye
03-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Firstly the rules.

If you are CG, and want to be a cleric, your deity has to be CG, NG or CN.

If you were actually in the Realms, there would be mechanisms to steer you to taking a deity rather than a force or principle. If you're not actually in the Realms, you could worship the Principle of Karma.

I'd try talking to the DM about allowing an existing deity access to the Retribution domain. A variant church of Kord, perhaps, losing Luck for Retribution? Or Tempus from the Realms.

kenobi 65
03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Hoar (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Hoar) is a Realms deity who has the Retribution domain. Unfortunately, his alignment is Lawful Neutral, so that won't fit your desire for playing a CG cleric.

kenobi 65
03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Thor is a good idea although I can't tell if hes part of the forgotten realms?

Nope, he's not. The closest to Thor in the Realms would likely be Tempus (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tempus), but he doesn't have Retribution as a domain.

The Hamster King
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Itzama, spirit of early mist and showers.
Ixtaub, goddess of ropes and snares.
Ixchel, the spider web, catcher of morning dew.
Zooheekock, virgin fire patroness of infants.
Adziz, the master of cold.
Kockupocket, who works in fire.
Ixtahdoom, she who spits out precious stones.
Ixchunchan, the dangerous one.

Ah Pook, the destroyer.

Quercus
03-07-2011, 04:52 PM
If you want my advice, you'll take advantage of the fact that you're playing D&D, not some computer game. What that means is that the rules aren't laid down in stone (or, uh, silicon) by some far-off game designer; the rules are whatever you all agree they are. If you think it would be more fun (for whatever 'fun' means for you) to change a rule, then do it. Most particularly, the gods and mythos in your game is whatever you all agree they are. There are plenty of books for inspiration, but in the end whatever you say goes.

Which is a really long-winded way of saying: Make up the diety you want to worship! Go for it. I mean, if you really dig the idea of some already-known diety, either in established myth ("By Thor's Hammer!"), or some author's work ("My faith believes in the Power of Greyskull to protect us"), then sure worship that. But if there's nothing there, then make something up (May I suggest Cecil, the God of Wisdom and Snark?). As long as it fits the mood you all want in your game, of course, because the whole point is to have fun creating a mood, but why not be creative?

kenobi 65
03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
If you want my advice, you'll take advantage of the fact that you're playing D&D, not some computer game. What that means is that the rules aren't laid down in stone (or, uh, silicon) by some far-off game designer; the rules are whatever you all agree they are. If you think it would be more fun (for whatever 'fun' means for you) to change a rule, then do it. Most particularly, the gods and mythos in your game is whatever you all agree they are. There are plenty of books for inspiration, but in the end whatever you say goes.

Though, to that, I'd add, "check with the DM to make sure he's OK with it." Between the Forgotten Realms pantheons, and the "core" D&D pantheon, there are a ton of deities, but there isn't going to be every possible combo of alignment and domain.

Your DM may be just fine with your cleric worshipping a deity which you've made up, or brought in from a different game world (or, for that matter, serving an idea or philosophy rather than a specific deity, which is given as an option in the 3.x rules). On the other hand, your DM may well want you to stay "by the book", and use an established deity.

Gyrate
03-08-2011, 06:31 AM
("By Thor's Hammer!")Speaking of which, there's still time to worship Grabthar.
(May I suggest Cecil, the God of Wisdom and Snark?)Surely not Chaotic or Retribution-based. Neutral good, maybe.

kenobi 65
03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Speaking of which, there's still time to worship Grabthar.

He's probably big on retribution, too, with all of that "you shall be avenged" stuff. :D

Scuba_Ben
03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Speaking of which, there's still time to worship Grabthar.

He's probably big on retribution, too, with all of that "you shall be avenged" stuff. :D

If the GM is okay with a Human worshiping Grabthar, then I like their suggestion!

My sidetrack: The last time I played a cleric (AD&D 2nd ed), I played against the type. The standard cleric stays in the back in combat, casting healing spells and doing pretty much nothing else. My cleric was in full armor, with war hammer and throwing hammers, in the thick of the fight with everybody else. And I styled my healing spells after boxing corner coaches.

Hoopy Frood
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
(or, for that matter, serving an idea or philosophy rather than a specific deity, which is given as an option in the 3.x rules).

True, but in Forgotten Realms, those who don't follow a specific god have significant issues from a setting standpoint. As MHaye mentioned, there are mechanics to steer you towards a god. One of the biggies is it's very hard to bring a godless back from the dead since their souls do not go to a godhome but instead wind up in the wall of souls with the rest of the heathens. From a role-playing standpoint, you also have a lousy afterlife as a result of this.

kenobi 65
03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
True, but in Forgotten Realms, those who don't follow a specific god have significant issues from a setting standpoint.

I thought about that before I made the post (I've played way too much in the Realms :) ), but then i realized that the OP didn't actually say that the campaign is set in the Realms. He said that the DM was using the Realms gods (as well as the gods in the "core pantheon" in the 3.5 books).

Balance
03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
It's not an exact match, but you might have the best shot at getting your DM to let you take Finder as your character's god and add the Retribution domain to his portfolio. Finder's very new, as gods go, so his domains could still reasonably be in flux, and he has something of a vengeful bent at times. He also has Charm and Renewal domains, either of which might be useful or appropriate for the character's goals. (Charm for gathering allies, and Renewal for raising a new kingdom from the ashes of the old.)

His worshipers are mostly bardic types, but there's no reason your guy couldn't have fallen in with a bunch of bards and performers--maybe they smuggled him out of the area? Also, if your fallen kingdom was known for being supportive of the arts (say, home to a major bardic college or something), Finder might have taken its destruction rather personally.

He's Chaotic Neutral, but you could certainly play a Chaotic Good cleric. (In fact, if I recall his top human priest correctly, the guy is almost certainly Chaotic Good.)

Glixinator
03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
The real world Norse mythology has the perfect deity for this, he just hasn't been included any D&D pantheon for some reason. His name is Vidarr and he is the son of Odin and a Jotun named Gridr, which means you don't have to bring in the Norse pantheon, just tie him in to the racial panteon of the giants who already include figures from norse mythology (Surtr and Thyrm).

How is he ascociated with retribution and vengeance? Well in norse myth, when the Ragnarok comes and Fenrir (also reference in core D&D's Epic Level Handbook) eats Odin, who do you think is the one to avenge his death? Thor? Sorry he's busy fighting Jormungandr, the world serpent. How about Tyr, the god of war, who was the only god not afraid to sacrifice his own hand to chain Fenrir in the first place? Nope, he's busy fighting another big bad wolf named Garm that basically had the same job as Cerberus before the Ragnarok. Frey, Heimdall? They're both busy fighting Surtr and Loki respectively. No it is Vidarr who ends up fighting Fenrir.

How does this go? Well he basically just stands on Fenrir's lower jaw, grabs hold of the upper jaw... and rips Fenrir apart, literally. Furthermore, unlike those other gods I mentioned above, not only does he survive his famous fight, but he survives the rest of the ragnarok as well (which presumably includes his own clashes with Surtr who also survived his fight) and completely unscathed to boot. Thus you can just say that this D&D world is set post Ragnarok to explain why you don't hear about the other norse gods.

Now for Vidarr's important game information:
Vidarr
the Silent God, Fenrislayer, Vidarr the Silent
Intermediate Deity
Symbol: A wolf skull with a broken jaw
Home Plane: Ysgard
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Portfolio: Survival, Righteous Vengence, Good Giants
Worshippers: Barbarians, Fighters, Good Giants, and those seeking vengeance
Domains: Endurance, Retribution, Strength (Chaos, Good, Wrath)
Favoured Weapon: Waraxe

The Endurance domain can be found in the Book of Exhaulted Deeds, as can one version of the Wrath domain (another is presented in the Spell Compendium, and either would make a good domain option). It is this Endurance domain that I would recommend for a vengeance seeking healer. It's not as good a fit as the Healing domain, but the ability to reduce the damage you and your allies take, is very helpful to a healer, and the extra hit points granted by the constitution boosts from spells and the domain power fit well with a healer. Even if the only actual healing spell on the list is one that only works on nonlethal damage.

His titles pertaining to silence are due to the fact that this god does not speak, and are further proof of his connection to revenge, since he will not speak until all wrongs against him, his family, friends, and followers, have been avenged.

Hoopy Frood
03-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Maybe he should worship one of those gods who are into raising things from the dead....

Agent Foxtrot
03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
If retribution is what you want, Tyr is the epitome of it. He's LG, so you can be CG and still fit in the ethos. Of course, as a Chaotic character, you'll have to come up with a lot of creativity in order to stay within legal bounds.

kenobi 65
03-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Maybe he should worship one of those gods who are into raising things from the dead....

Indeed. I opened this thread, thinking, "I could probably offer some guidance", and then saw that I had already done so, exactly a year ago. :D

Autolycus
03-17-2012, 12:32 PM
You could always worship me! That's what my character did, a rogue/cleric/arcane-trickster also named 'Autolycus.' He's not so big on the retribution part though...

FinnAgain
03-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Banjo the clown!

John DiFool
03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Damn, ninja'ed by one frickin' minute...

Think he's Neutral Good tho. :p

Best Topics: swampland florida pigs bristles collar of esses giant saw thing how many snowflakes oil evaporate pluggedinonline movies squat switch vacuum wont start eyebrow gaps horizontal traffic lights obrez gun great schools.net car 28 castle age poseidon lorne armstrong reddit instant diarrhea pure peroxide slut genes weed whites wine mv sticker 1000 megaton bomb white girls sing stargate sg1 nudity cocaine odor fuck health insurance printer error state whoop ass movie carving quartz houston streetwalkers did darth vader want to overthrow the emperor how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat sanford and son junkyard location oil tanks in basement shun knives bed bath and beyond quantum of solace synopsis how to get rid of cat poop smell what does ultraviolet light look like blurred vision upon waking what did george washington's voice sound like teddy boy jacket pattern godiva ice cream store novels set in germany difference between schedule 40 and 80 all mighty prunes font why wont my no bake cookies set up what happens when acids and bases are mixed my ti 84 is giving wrong answers sunlight makes me sleepy what does sae stand for on tools the godfather opening scene how to deep through is seafood considered meat penn and teller bullshit recycling angel of the morning chrissie hynde nude male native americans why do people wear scrubs how long does evaporated milk last opened in the fridge uses for kitchen grease blue flame in gas fireplace trailer park trash jokes first movie released on vhs can an employer lower your pay without notice