PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell female from male dogs without seeing their genitals?

astro
05-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Just curious. Male and female dogs often seem almost identical to me. Are there various "tells" that would let you select out males and females without seeing their genitials?

devilsknew
05-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Well, in General, i suppose they are usually smaller within the breed. Believe it or not, they have "sleeker" more "delicate" and feminine features. They just have some ineffable Female quality to them... estrogenic features.

devilsknew
05-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Of course, that applies to more mature dogs. It is often difficult to sex puppies on sight. I suppose much as some human baby boys are mistaken for little girls or vice versa in infantile gender mix-ups.

Hilarity N. Suze
05-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Wow, how did you get the title on your post different from the title on the thread?

With dogs--no. However, their genitals are pretty easy to see. As to tells--well, some friends had a female dog who raised her leg when peeing. So most people would probably guess that dog was a male. (She was also known to hump things, apparently both before and after she was spayed.)

Cats, on the other hand, I can usually tell without seeing their genitals. And in fact I own a cat whose genitals I myself have NEVER seen, although I'm all too familiar with his anus.

SciFiSam
05-06-2011, 03:16 AM
No. And everyone assumes dogs are male by default, just as cats are female.

Czarcasm
05-06-2011, 04:41 AM
[Mod mod]Changed "with' to "without" in title.[/Mod mod]

Dereknocue67
05-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Yes. Female dogs tend to bark often when only one bark is required to communicate the message.

PapSett
05-06-2011, 08:47 AM
In a well-bred dog, yes, I can normally tell male from female just by body type & face. Males are supposed to look masculine, females feminine. Females are normally a tiny bit longer through the loin to give room to carry puppies, and the male normally has a more luxurious coat in long-haired breeds. The male's head should be MALE looking.

In the dog show world, a masculine looking female is known as a doggy bitch, and a feminine male is a bitchy dog. Yes, really. There was a well known show dog back in the 80's who was gorgeous, but it was generally said 'he would mak a gorgeous bitch'.

tdn
05-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Well, in General, i suppose they are usually smaller within the breed.

I can usually tell with yellow labs, but that's about it.

Sailboat
05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
You're supposed to sniff their butts. We humans aren't doing it right!

Most people can't distinguish male from female dogs without looking at the undercarriage. Some folks still can't.

Some folks are really bad at it. My dog Simone is slightly under the median weight for her breed, and has delicate features. One time she was wearing a pink doggie shirt that said "Queen" on it in glittering letters. When I introduced her to someone who had expressed interest in her, I added, "Would you like to pet her?"

While petting Simone, the person looked back up at me and asked, "So is he a boy or a girl?"

Let's review:

smallish for her breed
delicate features
wearing pink
wearing the word "Queen" spelled in glitter
named Simone, a French female name
I'd already said, "Would you like to pet her?"

I replied, "This may surprise you, but she's female."

tdn
05-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Let's review:

smallish for her breed
delicate features
wearing pink
I'd already said, "Would you like to pet her?"

So, is he... gay?

Hermitian
05-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Let's review:

smallish for her breed
delicate features

Well, to come to their defense:

1. Most people would not be able to recognize the first one.
2. I would consider "delicate features" to be a bit subjective.
3. Most people (in the US at least) don't speak French and are not itimately familiar with French names.
4. And "queen"....well, that is a common term for a gay male.

SeaDragonTattoo
05-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I think male/female within a particular breed may be easier to tell. Mutt to mutt, no.

Zsofia
05-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Captain squats to pee most of the time. I have to look at the equipment.

Hilarity, have you ever been in a position where you're TRYING to see the cat's anus? Isn't it amazing how suddenly shy they get?

Tamerlane
05-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Hilarity, have you ever been in a position where you're TRYING to see the cat's anus? Isn't it amazing how suddenly shy they get?

Nothing cuter than a cat anus (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kBdeAZCTwvI) ;).

Jackmannii
05-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Can you tell female from male dogs without seeing their genitals?

Not always, but it's not as critical to me as it is to the dog. :)

I have a pretty good idea with Labrador retrievers, since males' heads tend to be squarer/stockier.

If all else fails, a good butt sniff usually clarifies matters.

Markxxx
05-06-2011, 04:49 PM
It's easy, male dogs shave and women dogs say "You cut yourself." :)

cosmosdan
05-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Sometimes I can tell by how they kiss.

Czarcasm
05-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Moving thread from IMHO to General Questions.

Chronos
05-06-2011, 05:51 PM
It's easy for collies: Male collies have that big magnificent mane, but females don't. Which makes Lassie all the more puzzling: Why name an obviously male animal, of one of the few breeds where it is obvious, "girl"?

Stoid
05-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Cat Anus = Kitty Camera... hop up on your chest, turn around so the Kitty Camera is facing you and Click!

Voyager
05-06-2011, 06:32 PM
No. And everyone assumes dogs are male by default, just as cats are female.

We had a border collie/cocker spaniel mix, male, who almost everyone thought was female. He was quite good looking, though.

Mk VII
05-06-2011, 06:44 PM
With bull terriers, the chest and head are often broader in the male.

Acid Lamp
05-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Depends on the breed. Most short to medium coated dogs it's easy enough to guess correctly most of the time of you spend a little bit of time observing. Females tend to be sleeker, longer, smaller boned, and more streamlined than males. Males tend to be boxier, more muscled, massive through the chest and neck and usually have for more luxuriant coats. YMMV depending on breed. On longhaired dogs or giant breeds it's often better to simply ask.

Lanzy
05-06-2011, 07:04 PM
All my female Jacks are much sleeker and trimmer.

thelabdude
05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
It is like people. Females tend to be smaller and more finely boned on average.

Hummm, the one day I took Lola, a yellow Lab to a festival. One guy that may not have had too good of a look at her was fooled by her big, square head and lean 70 pounds. He informed me the females are smaller. There were also 2 little boys I guess were about 6. One of them asked me if she was a boy or a girl. When I said a girl, he replied in the most disgusted voice a 6 year old has, ''Maybe that is why she keeps trying to kiss me''.

Getting back to topic. Out of 18 Labs Lola most nearly looked like the classic Lab, big square head, tapering tail, solid color, etc. She was a poor excuse of a dog. Despite being gotten out from 7 weeks around traffic, noise, people, etc., she was afraid of her own shadow, and quickly dropped out of dog guide school. Her mother also produced few other litters. Her father continued, but was carefully bred to lines carrying bolder genes. So don't tell me your sickly, poor temperament show dogs are well bred. Part of the time we had Peggy. Many of the Labs we have had would have been laughed out of a show. I thing we would have been run off with a stick if we ever showed up with Peggy. She weighed the same 70 pounds as Lola, but stood a head taller. She was too dark and red, long ears, droopy eyes, pointed face, and fearless. Well there was the time we got close to a bagpipe band, but other than that, she most feared missing a meal. Remember slides? When our slides came back, there was one of Peggy and a little puppy that looked just like her. But the only dog we saw all day the looked like her was her daddy? Opps, that was Daddy with his little girl. He too disappeared from the breeding pool. Not for looks, but for excessive size and energy.

So you can guess at a dog's sex, but that is what it is, and you will be wrong sometimes.

md2000
05-07-2011, 01:45 AM
I am surprised nobody pointed out...

Just watch any behavior for a while and you can tell whether they are acting like a bitch...

Freudian Slit
05-07-2011, 01:49 AM
In a well-bred dog, yes, I can normally tell male from female just by body type & face. Males are supposed to look masculine, females feminine. Females are normally a tiny bit longer through the loin to give room to carry puppies, and the male normally has a more luxurious coat in long-haired breeds. The male's head should be MALE looking.

Males look masculine and females feminine? So...what does that actually translate to?

flatlined
05-07-2011, 04:00 AM
At adoptions, I can sex 8 week old puppies just by feeling their tummies. I can do it with 6 week old kittens. I don't even have to pick them up and look, just quick grope is enough to do it.

I cheat, all of our critters are fixed and the ones with the shaved tummies have been spayed. It does impress people, tho.

PapSett
05-07-2011, 10:12 AM
So don't tell me your sickly, poor temperament show dogs are well bred.

My show dogs ARE well bred and they are not sickly and have WONDERFUL temperaments thankyouverymuch. You cannot judge ALL dogs by your ONE experience.

And as far as the difference between feminine & masculine, it is hard to put into words, but I know it when I see it. The males have bigger, blockier heads, the females more delicately built. In my breed of choice, the Gordon Setter, the males have heavier bone structure all around. As I mentioned in my previous post, the males have more coat.

I am usually right 90-95% of the time when I guess a well-bred dog's sex.

mnemosyne
05-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Males look masculine and females feminine? So...what does that actually translate to?

Here are two photos from a breeder of Golden Retrievers (a breed I'm somewhat familiar with, but I don't know this breeder).

One (http://laframboisieregoldens.com/uploads/images/inu/inu_querida01.jpg)
Two (http://laframboisieregoldens.com/uploads/images/inu/inu_querida02.jpg)

In both photos, the dog on the right with the slightly darker coat is female. I think these two dogs show a pretty good distinction between the "masculine" and "feminine" features people are trying to explain. The male is broader across the chest and into the neck, and has larger legs and body. He has a more square face, and seems to have a blunter nose, while the female is a bit smaller faced and has a more delicate muzzle. Males of the breed also tend to have longer fur.

For many Goldens (and Labs, really) I can often tell if the dog is male or female, though there are examples of each where it's not all that clear. My sister's previous dog - while very large - was often thought to be female when people first saw him because of the shape of his head, although when he was next to his full sister (my cousin's dog), it was clear that he was the male, because she was just that much more delicate.

For mutts though, I find it's tougher.

thelabdude
05-07-2011, 01:55 PM
My show dogs ARE well bred and they are not sickly and have WONDERFUL temperaments thankyouverymuch. You cannot judge ALL dogs by your ONE experience.

And as far as the difference between feminine & masculine, it is hard to put into words, but I know it when I see it. The males have bigger, blockier heads, the females more delicately built. In my breed of choice, the Gordon Setter, the males have heavier bone structure all around. As I mentioned in my previous post, the males have more coat.

I am usually right 90-95% of the time when I guess a well-bred dog's sex.

:rolleyes: :dubious:

Boyo Jim
05-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Are teats (nipples if you prefer) considered genitals? If not, then yes.

I think. Do male dogs have six vestigial nipples?

thelabdude
05-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Yes. Every once in awhile a question shows up on a dog forum that somebody questions if the puppy sold to them is a male because it has nipples. I think all male mammals have nipples except maybe some species where the female produces milk otherwise. The next time a stallion or bull presents himself for a belly rub, I will check him.

SciFiSam
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Are teats (nipples if you prefer) considered genitals? If not, then yes.

I think. Do male dogs have six vestigial nipples?

Nipples are more pronounced (larger and slightly pinker) on a female dog that's been in season, and still more so in a female dog that's had a litter. But if you could see the nipples you'd likely be able to see the genitals too, of course.

Boyo Jim
05-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Probably, but not necessarily.

PapSett
05-07-2011, 07:59 PM
:rolleyes: :dubious:

Roll your eyes all you want. I don't have to prove a thing to you, I *know* the quality of my dogs. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks-I know the truth.

I'm not here to defend myself of my dogs, just answering a question to the best of my ability.

MeanOldLady
05-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, to come to their defense:

1. Most people would not be able to recognize the first one.
2. I would consider "delicate features" to be a bit subjective.
3. Most people (in the US at least) don't speak French and are not itimately familiar with French names.
4. And "queen"....well, that is a common term for a gay male.I'll give you 1 and 2, but Simone isn't a terribly exotic name that the average American is unfamiliar with, and the term "queen" in conjunction with the pronoun "her" should have done it.

Here are two photos from a breeder of Golden Retrievers (a breed I'm somewhat familiar with, but I don't know this breeder).

In both photos, the dog on the right with the slightly darker coat is female. I think these two dogs show a pretty good distinction between the "masculine" and "feminine" features people are trying to explain. The male is broader across the chest and into the neck, and has larger legs and body. He has a more square face, and seems to have a blunter nose, while the female is a bit smaller faced and has a more delicate muzzle. Males of the breed also tend to have longer fur.Ah, thanks. With the side by side, I got it (guessed it?) correctly right away. If were to see some guy at the park walking one of those dogs by itself, I wouldn't be able to tell though.

For mutts though, I find it's tougher.Yeah.

Leo Bloom
05-07-2011, 09:59 PM

::Obligatory quote::

Mr Bloom watched curiously, kindly, the lithe black form. Clean to see: the gloss of her sleek hide, the white button under the butt of her tail, the green flashing eyes.

Ulysses, "Calypso."

Leo Bloom
05-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Ah, thanks. With the side by side, I got it (guessed it?) correctly right away. If were to see some guy at the park walking one of those dogs by itself, I wouldn't be able to tell though.
If you hang around with any one breed long enough, you'll immediately notice not only the sex difference between the two as well as the individual faces of each of them. Kinda like Chinese people [nb: this is a long standing American joke. nbb: by American, I mean North American, and by North American, I mean USA-ian].

automagic
05-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Everyone thinks my male Shih-Tzu is a female since he pees by crouching, has long flowing hair and watches Oprah.

ethelbert
05-08-2011, 11:26 AM

In both photos, the dog on the right with the slightly darker coat is female. I think these two dogs show a pretty good distinction between the "masculine" and "feminine" features people are trying to explain. The male is broader across the chest and into the neck, and has larger legs and body. He has a more square face, and seems to have a blunter nose, while the female is a bit smaller faced and has a more delicate muzzle. Males of the breed also tend to have longer fur.

For many Goldens (and Labs, really) I can often tell if the dog is male or female, though there are examples of each where it's not all that clear. My sister's previous dog - while very large - was often thought to be female when people first saw him because of the shape of his head, although when he was next to his full sister (my cousin's dog), it was clear that he was the male, because she was just that much more delicate.

For mutts though, I find it's tougher.

In both of those pictures the male's tongue is hanging out and he looks a bit goofy (regally goofy, mind you, but goofy nonetheless). Perhaps this is a tell.

Chronos
05-08-2011, 03:37 PM
In both of those pictures the male's tongue is hanging out and he looks a bit goofy (regally goofy, mind you, but goofy nonetheless). Perhaps this is a tell. Nah, that's just a tell that he's a golden retriever.

Best Topics: bong store monkey wings stockholm or oslo titanium cost ck2 visit chambers red cream soda retire to india quid vs pounds philip pauli 2015 peanuts in soda knife hand game brisket names dna from urine french queens transformer blowing pow meaning military biomorph desk dogs rib bones oxygen energy levels bread machine kits 1950s cigarette american dvds weasel vs cat ratchet strap stuck ship window sir in japanese remove oleander deep cut definition breathy singing rhyming food buy contac cat's tail shaking clover valley foods correct use of alumni kotor 2 light side ending refrigerator door left open food safety average age of us soldier in ww2 where can i buy small condoms in stores excel keeps changing number to date winks cleaner at walmart hearing things in white noise tongue biopsy recovery time read xmen comics online printer in error state hp use nair on face benadryl for nerve pain does a phd make you a doctor do wisdom teeth grow on top how much is a bale of hay how is spider solitaire scored is the chicago citypass worth it what do godparents buy for first communion does an s video cable carry sound why can't i rent age of ultron scrotal cyst self removal heater core stop leak what does cjc stand for light your farts on fire is memento a good movie soy milk go bad how do calculators find square roots what do canned sardines taste like shuttle columbia human remains is jail really that bad where is it illegal to pass? can you die from pain alone urine off vs scoe 10x can you get high off lithium cookie clicker second ascension