PDA

View Full Version : What was the name of that stuff they put on the floor when kids vomited at school?

An Arky
07-05-2011, 09:12 PM
...it's probably no longer in use, but I remember in grade school (early 70s), there was this stuff that resembled chemically treated sawdust the janitor used to put down on kids puke...anyone remember what it was called? (and yes, it would make an awesome BAND NAME!)

Ruby
07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
I think it was FloorDry (http://cepsorbents.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FLAB50)

jz78817
07-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I think it was FloorDry (http://cepsorbents.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FLAB50)

that stuff is mostly small "pebbles" and is used as "oil-dry." I don't think it's the same stuff as used to cover puke.

Ruby
07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
The more I think about it, FloorDry doesn't have an odor like the stuff used in school. I googled "vomit absorbent granules for schools" and there's a bunch of similar products on the market now.

johnpost
07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
was it 'puke away'? no maybe that wouldn't work as a good name.

Colophon
07-05-2011, 09:28 PM
BarfBits?
ChunderChow?
SpewSoaker?

If not, it should have been.

Elmer J. Fudd
07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
IIRC, "Tidy Cat"

Elmer J. Fudd
07-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Voban?
SpillKlenz?
Super-Sorb?
DryUp?

longPath
07-05-2011, 10:55 PM
When I went to school, vomitus was cleaned up using Dustbane sweeping compound. It looked like green sawdust and had a distinctive scent not unlike pine-sol.

gotpasswords
07-05-2011, 11:06 PM
The one I remember was Vo-Ban.

And... ...yep, they still make it (http://schoolhealth.com/product/infection+control/clean-up+products/voban+vomit++absorbent,+1+lb..do).

chaoticbear
07-05-2011, 11:22 PM
I can't remember what it is that we used at Walmart, but we had a similar system for any liquid spill. I seem to remember it being "All-zorb" or something similar, but I'll be damned if I can find any info on google. :/

Mahaloth
07-06-2011, 12:07 AM
The one I remember was Vo-Ban.

And... ...yep, they still make it (http://schoolhealth.com/product/infection+control/clean-up+products/voban+vomit++absorbent,+1+lb..do).

And they still use it in schools when the vomit is...significant.

AlmostPerfect
07-06-2011, 02:32 PM
At my job, A roller coaster at a popular theme park, we see people vomit daily. Multiple times, all over the place. We use stuff that we call SandSorb, sort of a portmanteau of sand and absorb. In essence it's kitty litter.

JBDivmstr
07-06-2011, 08:51 PM
When I went to school, vomitus was cleaned up using Dustbane sweeping compound. It looked like green sawdust and had a distinctive scent not unlike pine-sol.

Exactly, what I remember! :p
(and I'm pretty sure it's still sold, and is still used by the Houston ISD, 40 odd years, later!):D

Darth Sensitive
07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
When I worked at Six Flags, we had a big ole bucket of kitty litter.

Zsofia
07-06-2011, 11:52 PM
We librarians call it "vomit powder" but I don't know what it technically is as the children's room gets to keep it. :)

DrDeth
07-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Sawdust. Seriously, well... at least when I was young.

Kolga
07-07-2011, 12:48 AM

Wow, I hadn't thought about that stuff in years, and your description just brought it back. That smell WAS very distinctive, and very potent.

Do schools still use it?

JBDivmstr
07-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Wow, I hadn't thought about that stuff in years, and your description just brought it back. That smell WAS very distinctive, and very potent.

Do schools still use it?

See post #14. ;) I verified it, yes they still use the stuff!

Jake
07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
When I was a kid, the custodians use a sawdust-like product that smelled exactly like pencil shavings. I think maybe they were...

panache45
07-07-2011, 04:52 PM
"Barf-B-Gone"

An Arky
07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks, all! Yeah; I think it was the Dustbane.

Zoe
07-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Flight attendants use either coffee grounds or ground coffee -- but I've forgotten which one.

Student Driver
07-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Though the question appears to have been answered...

At my school, it was called Vom-Sorb. Might have been CamelCaps "VomSorb," or Vom Sorb, or some variant, but it was a big, dusty bag that I was made to use on my own vomit when I went to school. Nothing like being punished in school for having nausea-inducing migraines and not being allowed to run to the bathroom when needed. Not too many mentions online, though there are references to it on school administration PDFs and such.

Anyway, I was delighted a few years after my experiences when an Indy-area punk rock band, The Smears, debuted a song called "Vom Sorb," which related the tale of an Everclear-imbibing high school girl who loses her composure in her school, then describes the janitor having to clean up the mess... complete with "Vom Sorb is the thing / Pink-orange and it stinks!" as part of the chorus.

Best Topics: american emigration removing rounded nuts eyelids removed molasses walmart aisle familyhandyman com wordless digital odometers alcohol depletes serotonin terbinafine vs butenafine james gumb randstad works schilling ebay lewis hathaway 3.4 v6 engine duct tape electrical triangle blade madeline rhue khan chest symbol swearing inglourious basterds shosanna 2x4 studs lowes lynx sprays cold pizza restaurant dyke origin eshield insulation cost john wayne mississippi cf reference rhyme antonym sting vocal range misdelivered mail submarine depths explosive cannonball live birthers opposite of fever gorbachev pronunciation cherry binaca kanye west is an idiot alternatives for to whom it may concern best kool aid flavor how quickly can pneumonia kill you poured concrete vs block retaining wall lethal dose of vinegar what is a teener no thru trucks sign transporting tobacco across state lines how much does a cylinder misfire cost to fix ball drop for central time zone old glory g stamp value room gets hot with door closed people who hate video games selling used books los angeles how to pronounce koch brothers columbia wreckage human remains n numbers for sale what is ewr airport stand for swollen taste bud turned white 5'7 compared to 6'0 can you have a pet crow funny easter jokes for adults how much to fix tail light purpose of blood test before marriage deployed airbag replacement cost progesterone cream breast growth tip tow truck driver donkey shows in mexico dmv driving test critical errors baseball in the rain does urine cure athletes foot how to use a basin wrench on a kitchen sink how much force is needed to break a bone why do flies keep landing on me why do pharmacists take so long