PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic Park movie - how are there raptor eggs outside the raptor pen

PSXer
08-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Are there more than 3 raptors roaming around wild on the island? Grant and the kids never encounter them. Or can the 3 raptors get in and out of the pen at will? If so, why are they never a problem until the electricity to the fence goes off?

I guess the movie makers messed up by including the raptor nest from the book but not including the extra raptors and explaining how they tunneled out of the pen

AClockworkMelon
08-27-2011, 02:35 AM
I assumed they'd laid (lain?) them after breaking out. Or they'd laid (lain?) them in their den in secret (I mean, the guards wouldn't have been looking in their cage for eggs, they figured they were incapable of reproducing at all) and moved them during their breakout.

PSXer
08-27-2011, 02:39 AM
But in the movie we assume that the raptors never get out of the pen until the electricity to their pen is turned off (and after that happens we see where they have broken the electric fence). But Grant found the raptor nest before the power to the raptor fence was turned off (which happens when Mr. Arnold shuts down the system, not when Nedry turns off other fences (for even Nedry knew better than to mess with the raptor fences)

Surbey
08-27-2011, 03:10 AM
who said they were raptor eggs? Seems to me he just found eggs...

AClockworkMelon
08-27-2011, 03:24 AM
OK, I went back and watched that part of the film again.

You're right that the egg-discovery scene takes place before Arnold shuts down the system. But rewatching the scene, Grant never says that the hatched eggs he's found are raptor eggs.

Tim: Great, now she'll never try anything new. Just sit in her room and never come out and play on her computer.

Lex: I'm a hacker!

Tim: That's what I said! You're a nerd.

Lex: I am not a computer nerd. I prefer to be called a hacker.

Grant: Oh God. Know what this is? It's a dinosaur egg. The dinosaurs are breeding.

Tim: But grandpa said all the dinosaurs were girls.

Grant: Amphibian DNA.

Lex: What's that?

Grant: Well, on the tour the film said they used frog DNA to fill in the gene sequence gaps. They mutated the dinosaurs' genetic code and blended it with that of frogs. Now, some west African frogs have been known to spontaneously change sex from male to female in a single sex environment. Malcolm was right. Look. Life found a way.

And that's the entire scene. They weren't raptor eggs.

PSXer
08-27-2011, 11:44 AM
We see the three-toed footprints in the sand that look like raptor feet.

Those eggs look the same as the raptor eggs in JPIII (I can't believe I'm using JPIII to support a point)

I always assumed they were raptor eggs, but I suppose they could be something else though.

Sparky the Wonder Spirit
08-27-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm sure plenty of dinosaur species have 3-toed feet. I never thought the nest Grant found was raptor eggs. That would make no sense.

Skald the Rhymer
08-27-2011, 01:04 PM
In the book, it's clear that animals have escaped before and started breeding before the big, deadly incident. Malcolm deduces it from the population numbers by graphing them; the raptors, compys, and several other species' charts are those of a breeding population. The park managers didn't realize it because their automated counting system assumed that none of the faux-dinosaurs could reproduce, and thus whenever they counted they were trying to discover fatalities, not extra faux-dinosaurs; thus hte system would automatically stop when it got to the predicted total.

It's never revealed how the raptors, etc. are escaping, because that's kind of the point. Hammond (the park owner) and his managers had set up a system they couldn't control, with animals they didn't understand. Book!Malcolm calls all the park's problems in advance; it was just a matter of when they would occur, not if.

Though I don't entirely agree that the system was inherently unworkable, as Malcolm opined, I do agree that Hammond and his crew were the wrong people to do it.

heathen earthling
08-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Are there more than 3 raptors roaming around wild on the island? Grant and the kids never encounter them.

Maybe. They certainly didn't encounter every dinosaur on the island (for example, they never see the Dilophosaurus that ate Nedry).

Or can the 3 raptors get in and out of the pen at will? If so, why are they never a problem until the electricity to the fence goes off?

Who says they weren't a problem earlier? A raptor kills a park employee in the very first scene of the movie.

Raptors had four-toed feet, but the inner two toes were carried off the ground, so their tracks appear essentially two-toed [actual fossil tracks, discovered after the film was made (http://scienceblogs.com/laelaps/2007/10/at_long_last_dromeosaur_tracks.php)]. Here's an image of the nest from JP (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lcoEh5hm55I/TVdpToyToPI/AAAAAAAAABo/VJ2SfmFKDJM/s1600/JP93-eggs1.jpg)- while they don't look exactly like actual raptor tracks, I think it is pretty obvious that they are supposed to be.

Attack from the 3rd dimension
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
PSXer posting a JP question is like Bill Murray posting a comedy question. Who's a higher authority than PSXer?

simster
08-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I always took the first scene of the move - where the hunter and crew are capturing a Veliciraptor - as evidence that they had escaped before - and while Grant doesn't say its a raptor egg ( how would he know without other evidence) - him finding the egg is meant as others have said - that the dinosaurs in general are reproducing.

PSXer
08-27-2011, 02:39 PM
PSXer posting a JP question is like Bill Murray posting a comedy question. Who's a higher authority than PSXer?

Apparently a lot of people because I was wrong. I thought Grant identified the nest as raptors.

And I thought the first scene in the movie was introducing a new raptor to the pen (the big one who takes over and kills all but two of the others), not re-introducing one that had earleir escaped.

Shawn1767
08-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I never thought they were raptor eggs he found. I figured they were eggs from the dinosaurs in that area of the park. They had hadrosaurs living among brachiosaurs. I figured they were keeping some dinosaurs who were herbivorous in the same areas like they do in some zoos with modern animals.

However, regarding the opening scene: was that the stupidest way to open a transfer cage? Did he really have to get up on top to open the gate? It looks like he just lays his hands on the top and the gate lifts up. Couldn't he have just hooked up a chain from a crane and then gotten off the cage entirely, reached a safe area and then opened the gate??

PSXer
08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
And in the book when they do go to the raptor nest, the eggs are arranged in neat little circles just like the nest Grant finds in the movie

standingwave
08-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Who says they weren't a problem earlier? A raptor kills a park employee in the very first scene of the movie. And the little girl on the picnic with her parents. (or am I conflating the novel with the film?)

PSXer
08-27-2011, 03:27 PM
The scene with the little girl on the island was in the first book but the second movie. And she was attacked by compys, not raptors

garygnu
08-27-2011, 03:36 PM
And in the book when they do go to the raptor nest, the eggs are arranged in neat little circles just like the nest Grant finds in the movie
The eggs in the movie are not in a neat circle.

PSXer
08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
because they've already hatched.

Iunno clearly I don't remember that scene as well as I thought I did. But I thought he did find a circular nest at least

PSXer
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm getting it mixed up with the scene in JPIII where they find raptor nests.

standingwave
08-27-2011, 05:01 PM
The scene with the little girl on the island was in the first book but the second movie. That would certainly explain my confusion.

Quimby
08-27-2011, 06:08 PM
I always assumed the Raptor in the opening scene wasn't an escaped Raptor. I thought they were transporting a Raptor they grew themselves from the lab to the pen. I guessed they had to wait until they were fully grown because younger Raptors would get eaten.

AClockworkMelon
08-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I always assumed the Raptor in the opening scene wasn't an escaped Raptor. I thought they were transporting a Raptor they grew themselves from the lab to the pen. I guessed they had to wait until they were fully grown because younger Raptors would get eaten.My assumption exactly.

And btw, that was a really stupid way to transfer raptors. You'd think that with all their resources they'd have built the smaller cages so that they attach to the larger cage.

Skald the Rhymer
08-27-2011, 08:11 PM
My assumption exactly.

And btw, that was a really stupid way to transfer raptors. You'd think that with all their resources they'd have built the smaller cages so that they attach to the larger cage.

True, but that's not a plot hole. It's a plot point that Hammond's people arrogantly assumed they were so in control of the situation that they missed a lot of things.

Freudian Slit
08-27-2011, 08:20 PM
True, but that's not a plot hole. It's a plot point that Hammond's people arrogantly assumed they were so in control of the situation that they missed a lot of things.

Well, they did hire Newman to do their IT. I mean...come on, the guy doesn't even deliver mail in the rain.

BrotherCadfael
08-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, they did hire Newman to do their IT. I mean...come on, the guy doesn't even deliver mail in the rain.I work in IT, and, when I first saw Jurassic Park in the theater, I ran into a fellow I had worked with some years before. After the movie, I asked him if the character of Nedry reminded him of anyone. Without skipping a beat, he named the exact guy I was thinking of -- a former co-worker so like Nedry you wouldn't believe it.

Best Topics: sound aesthetics hodges phone directory lingerie pronounciation tvtropes north korea next saturday date mommy masterbating tylenol pm high support yourself live white discussion muad'dib pronunciation semen blacklight shogun recipes measuring altitude garrot watch yoghurt antibiotics what are tracers 1060 w addison infiniminer minecraft itself in latin buttered rolls reflective liquid pollock derogatory trimps collector pa chemistry game of soldiers ghost email account rumours cover rush locker room dead nigger storage frasier on cheers police verbal warning konrad von hochstaden best racquetball goggles saudi guys 5 cylinder engine hummer h3 can i sue a car dealership for lying miss pasternak two and a half men selling a car with problems how to tell if peanut butter has gone bad floor mounted high beam switch why did capes go out of style things from the 70s that no longer exist salad bar profit margin is robert reich a little person how many mice are in the world are my feet big for my height minimum credit score for les schwab tweety bird a girl or boy pontiac vibe toyota matrix kroger thanksgiving dinner 2015 sebastian vilar rodriguez snopes not racist but #1 with racists american soldiers often quarreled with each other and refused to take orders. does planet fitness have a pool how does a golf cart starter generator work how long can a subway sandwich last unrefrigerated send check in mail vermont inspection sticker colors how to make pictures the same size in word fake diplomas do they work what is the difference between pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce space heaters and extension cords when the wolfbane blooms do police scanners work anymore my cat killed my other cat what does milwaukee mean in native american can i put tape over a stamp how much does taekwondo cost