PDA

View Full Version : Things you notice watching a Mythbusters marathon

Biggirl
09-25-2011, 10:02 AM
The Science Channel had a Mythbusters 24 hour marathon yesterday. I spent almost all of yesterday sitting on my bed, making stuff for a craft fair today and watching. This is a list of some of the things I noticed.

1) Either Jamie and Adam argued a lot for frequently in the beginning or they've edit all of that out in the later episodes.

2) There used to be a myth expert. I totally forgot about her.

3) Adam can get very annoying. I think I'd choke him if I had to work with him for an extended period of time.

4) Most awkward, then awesome moment: The second crew (Tory, Grant and Kari) trick Adam into getting shocked by the Ark of the Covenant. He was really hurt and angry and there was a long, kind of scared silence which was ended by Kari's very somber "Did you see God?"

5) Kari has staying power, unlike the other women on this show. Who were those girls that came and went so quickly?

Morgyn
09-25-2011, 11:32 AM
The Science Channel had a Mythbusters 24 hour marathon yesterday. I spent almost all of yesterday sitting on my bed, making stuff for a craft fair today and watching. This is a list of some of the things I noticed.

1) Either Jamie and Adam argued a lot for frequently in the beginning or they've edit all of that out in the later episodes.

2) There used to be a myth expert. I totally forgot about her.

3) Adam can get very annoying. I think I'd choke him if I had to work with him for an extended period of time.

4) Most awkward, then awesome moment: The second crew (Tory, Grant and Kari) trick Adam into getting shocked by the Ark of the Covenant. He was really hurt and angry and there was a long, kind of scared silence which was ended by Kari's very somber "Did you see God?"

5) Kari has staying power, unlike the other women on this show. Who were those girls that came and went so quickly?I think they're working on script a lot more these days, IIR from a special they did on how they make an episode to begin with. Or maybe it was an interview they did. Which may explain the lessened arguments and the fact that Adam can be a bit annoying. I see him as overly enthusiastic, myself. :-)

I wish I'd seen the Ark episode. I think I had the TV off most of yesterday and wasn't aware there was a marathon. Boo! But they have 'em moderately often, so I'll likely have another chance.

BTW, I've reported this post to the mods so they can move it, as I'm moderately certain you meant for it to be in Cafe Society, not the Pit.

An Arky
09-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Jamie is somewhere on the autism spectrum and what's up with the gay moustache, Kari is only there for eye candy, the rest are replaceable.

Lancia
09-25-2011, 11:56 AM
That my desire to blow up random shit using plastic explosives, despite there being no real scientific benefit to doing so, increases exponentially.

AClockworkMelon
09-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Adam can get annoying but I always find his accented "what's my motivation?" joke funny no matter how many times he does it.

joebuck20
09-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Umm, so where's the pitting?

Joey P
09-25-2011, 12:05 PM
5) Kari has staying power, unlike the other women on this show. Who were those girls that came and went so quickly?

I saw Adam and Jamie when they did their 'tour' (for lack of a better word). Someone asked them about Scottie (the one with all the tattoos). They said she still does some behind the scenes work and she still shows up in some episodes, but overall she was never really comfortable in front of the camera and chose not to stick around.
I've also read elsewhere the she has her own business and the Mythbuster's schedule was too hectic.

Electric Warrior
09-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Adam and Jamie have stated somewhere or other that the directors/producers of the early episodes told them to argue on screen, but the Mythbusters weren't comfortable with it and eventually built up enough creative input to say no.

I also believe the same story was behind the Ark shock, and that nobody was happy they had been incited into doing it.

Chimera
09-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Ah yes, Hollywood producers and their insane desire for MORE DRAMA! MORE CONFLICT!

I can almost picture some coked up Producer demanding that Adam sleep with Jamie's wife and that they make that a central part of the new season.

MsWhich
09-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Adam went through a lengthy period of doing lots of "funny voices" on camera. He seems to have dialed it back a little, which is fine with me. A little of that is OK, but I swear there were some episodes where he did the entire thing in a fake Cockney accent or whatever. If one of my co-workers did that, I'd strangle them.

One of my other favorite awkward/awesome moments is when Scottie (Oh, how I miss her) and Kari goaded Tory into trying to jump that wagon on his bicycle, and he did a massive face-plant onto the concrete as a result.

IIRC, Scottie is the only other woman who's actually been in the cast. The other women who have been on the show were either one-season "Mythterns" or Kari's maternity replacement or whatever.

SeldomSeen
09-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I recall reading somewhere (can't find a cite) that Adam and Jamie actually don't like each other and that some of the acerbity on the show is genuine. Understandable; if their actual personalities are anything like their on-camera personas I personally think that if I had to spend a few hours with either one of them I'd be entertaining thoughts of punching them in the mouth. Don't get me wrong....I thoroughly enjoy mythbusters. I just don't think Adam and Jamie are very likeable people.

Now Kari is something else....I'd be happy to spend a day or three with her, and a few nights as well ;) (Is my bias showing?) I've always had a thing about redheads, and she has a lovely hard body. She's obviously intelligent and talented, I believe she has an artistic career outside of Mythbusters.
SS

minor7flat5
09-25-2011, 12:29 PM
(In spite of my list of annoyances here, I love the show!)

1) This is first and foremost a television show made for entertainment purposes, with allegiance to the sponsors, Discovery corporate folks, and shareholders. Sometimes there seems to be great gaps in their methodology, and other times it's obvious at the time they describe the myth which answer they will give (e.g. in "beat the speed camera"—I doubt that they would air an episode that demonstrates a simple effective evasion technique that is available to all)

2) Somewhere in the middle seasons their AV guys started putting in annoying "swoosh" sound effects between every single scene, pulling the prior scene off the screen to one side or another. This was an annoying distraction. They have toned it down. This is something that really stands out when you watch a MB marathon.

3) I am irritated by the extreme non-branded universe they try to create. I can understand that maybe they don't want to make an hour-long advertisement for Coca Cola, especially if Pepsi might want to sponsor the show, but who gives a hoot if they smash up a Ford today and a Toyota tomorrow? The incidental logos that we see in normal life are all grayed out or taped over. In a recent show they even taped over the logos on the workout gear of an olympic athlete guest star. Annoying.

4) I don't know the trend with their "woo" science stuff or their testing of stupid sayings (e.g. does a rolling stone really gather no moss), but I skip over both of those categories.

5) In the beginning, they did each segment from beginning to end without interruption and then moved on (e.g. Rocket Car segment followed by Barrel of Bricks segment). In a very short while they realized that it was more engaging to the viewers to interleave the segments, which they do to this day.

Speaking of the other women who were on before Kari, I remember one in particular who was on for a few shows, Christine. She seemed more sensitive than the others, and I think Jamie must have made her cry more than once.
She was the one who had a sort of breakdown while poised at the top of a building ready to go down a zip-line holding onto a sheet of plywood. I was disturbed by that moment and was upset that Discovery aired it—they could have easily edited it out and not put her moment of true anxiety on national television.

Khadaji
09-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Adam and Jamie have stated somewhere or other that the directors/producers of the early episodes told them to argue on screen, but the Mythbusters weren't comfortable with it and eventually built up enough creative input to say no.

I also believe the same story was behind the Ark shock, and that nobody was happy they had been incited into doing it.
It seems to me that this is a style of some of those cable shows - don't they play this up big on that chopper show? I always thought it was a gimmick that didn't work for them - I'm glad that they did away with it.

Electric Warrior
09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I recall reading somewhere (can't find a cite) that Adam and Jamie actually don't like each other and that some of the acerbity on the show is genuine.

I think the actual line was that they aren't friends and don't hang out outside of the show. I've never seen a cite that said they actually dislike each other.

And yeah MsWhatsit, I was ready to throw something at my screen after an hour of Adam doing voices in the pirate special. It looked like Jamie wanted to smack him too.

The thing that annoys me most about Mythbusters, while we're airing our grievances, is Rob Lee, the awful narrator. Way too many cheesy puns. I'd prefer a show that Adam and Jamie narrated themselves.

Joey P
09-25-2011, 12:42 PM
(In spite of my list of annoyances here, I love the show!)

1) This is first and foremost a television show made for entertainment purposes, with allegiance to the sponsors, Discovery corporate folks, and shareholders. Sometimes there seems to be great gaps in their methodology, and other times it's obvious at the time they describe the myth which answer they will give (e.g. in "beat the speed camera"—I doubt that they would air an episode that demonstrates a simple effective evasion technique that is available to all)
I totally agree with that, but they have said there are often times where they may have done 8 hours worth of testing but only had time to show you 15 minutes worth of it. Though you'd think by now they'd find a way to make sure people realize they aren't leaving giant gaps in their research. It's almost like they need to hire on someone to double check their methods and keep an eye on the editors ("make sure you put in a few seconds of this and a few seconds of that so the audience can see that they DID test that) to give the show some more credibility and get it out of the realm of pure entertainment.

4) I don't know the trend with their "woo" science stuff or their testing of stupid sayings (e.g. does a rolling stone really gather no moss), but I skip over both of those categories.
I'm not sure why you would consider that to be woo, but I did skip past the crystal/pyramid healing thing...that was just stupid.

What's bothering me most is that they are getting away from testing myths and going more towards just experiments or finding things to blow up...which is find, but it seems like they're making up myths to have excuses to do it. "Today we're going to test the myth that it's impossible to blow up a dead pig...lets see if we can do it". My guess is that they're worried if they just become another 'lets blow it up, take it apart or build something" they'll become the same as most of the other shows on right now (Worlds biggest fix, Deconstructed, Build Destroy Build Junkyard Wars, etc)

The thing that annoys me most about Mythbusters, while we're airing our grievances, is Rob Lee, the awful narrator. Way too many cheesy puns. I'd prefer a show that Adam and Jamie narrated themselves.
They're both pretty awful at working off a script, though I'd imagine if you'd just let them watch the show with a mic and told them to tell the audience what's going on (without telling them what to say) they might be okay.

running coach
09-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Thread from 2008 (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=466644) about Jamie and Adam's relationship.

I think Adam likes Jamie more than Jamie likes Adam.
To quote the Hyneman-"I always enjoy seeing Adam in pain."

Electric Warrior
09-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the link runner pat, I hadn't seen that NYT interview before where Jamie comes right out and says "we don't even like each other". I appear to have been referencing this (http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/03/mythbusters_encinal_high_benef.html). So heh, maybe it's true that the dislike is mostly on Jamie's part.

minor7flat5
09-25-2011, 12:58 PM
The thing that annoys me most about Mythbusters, while we're airing our grievances, is Rob Lee, the awful narrator. Way too many cheesy puns. I'd prefer a show that Adam and Jamie narrated themselves.Oh yes... I forgot about the stupid puns and annoying wordplay. Someone must enjoy hearing cutsy phrases built from a thesaurus for the simple goal of having all of the words begin with the same letter.

I don't know how I forgot to put that on my list.

Kobal2
09-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Oh god yes. I hatehatehate that motherfucker. It's not just the horrible script (which, frankly, they could absolutely do without), it's his...*pregnant pause*...TOOone. Just in case you MISSED the horrible PUN!, he feels he needs to... emPHAsize it !

I wish he'd catch an errand bit of blown up cement mixer sometime.

Mince
09-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Ah yes, Hollywood producers and their insane desire for MORE DRAMA! MORE CONFLICT!

I can almost picture some coked up Producer demanding that Adam sleep with Jamie's wife and that they make that a central part of the new season.

Have you seen any "reality" show on TruTV? They Springerize© every scene of every episode of every show. It's not so much the producer's insane desire as it is the audience's. The producers are just accommodating them.

Full Metal Lotus
09-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Its the recaps that get me. After every commercial break, they have to do a recap of the whole myth, the apparatus/equipment they use or build, the debates they have about myth and methodology and such. It constitutes about 50% of the show time now. Its just cheap filler and a replacement for good writing and production . It is the primary reason I quit watching a once beloved show.

Evil Captor
09-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Well to the Mythbusters' credit, Jamie and Adam are the Real Thing, genuinely smart, capable guys who are much more interested in the experiments than in being media creatures. I mean, look at the guys who star in the various Mythbusters clones that have come out. It's kind of obvious that the execs who came up with them said, "Yeah, let's get some guys exactly like the Mythbusters, except better looking ... more buff ... younger ... more accessible personalities if you know what I mean ... more camera savvy ... and a hot female team member or two while we're at it ... otherwise, though, exactly like Jamie and Adam!"

Thinking about it, the build team members on Mythbusters fit those qualifications too, except they all seem to have some qualifications for being there, though I'm not sure what Tory Belacci's is.

armedmonkey
09-25-2011, 03:12 PM
except they all seem to have some qualifications for being there, though I'm not sure what Tory Belacci's is.Model maker for Industrial Light and Magic. He made the federation battleships and pod racers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory_Belleci) in the first two Star Wars prequels. But his first job out of film school was working for Jamie, so the two knew each other well before Mythbuster's was even a thing.

Jonathan Chance
09-25-2011, 03:21 PM
And, to be honest, one of his major roles is 'stuntman' on the show. He's often the one called on to do oddball things that might hurt a lot.

Miller
09-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Moved from the Pit to Cafe Society.

Palo Verde
09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Well to the Mythbusters' credit, Jamie and Adam are the Real Thing, genuinely smart, capable guys who are much more interested in the experiments than in being media creatures. I mean, look at the guys who star in the various Mythbusters clones that have come out. It's kind of obvious that the execs who came up with them said, "Yeah, let's get some guys exactly like the Mythbusters, except better looking ... more buff ... younger ... more accessible personalities if you know what I mean ... more camera savvy ... and a hot female team member or two while we're at it ... otherwise, though, exactly like Jamie and Adam!"

Thinking about it, the build team members on Mythbusters fit those qualifications too, except they all seem to have some qualifications for being there, though I'm not sure what Tory Belacci's is.

Just curious, what shows do you consider Mythbuster clones?

running coach
09-25-2011, 04:36 PM

It's Effin' Science (http://g4tv.com/effinscience/) comes to mind.

cochrane
09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
It seems to me that this is a style of some of those cable shows - don't they play this up big on that chopper show? I always thought it was a gimmick that didn't work for them - I'm glad that they did away with it.

The animosity on American Choppers was real, though and it was exacerbated by the lawsuit (which has now been settled). There has been an estrangement between Paul Teutel and his sons, Pauley and Mikey, that could take years to mend.

Little Nemo
09-25-2011, 04:46 PM
One change I've noticed when watching early shows is that the budget has significantly loosened up. I remember a first season show where they were going to do some test that would wreck a car and the cost of buying a car was discussed as if it was a major issue. Nowadays, they'd buy a couple extra cars just for the fun of blowing them up.

Chronos
09-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Quoth Chimera:
I can almost picture some coked up Producer demanding that Adam sleep with Jamie's wife and that they make that a central part of the new season. But they'd have to prove it, wouldn't they? Let's blow up Jamie's wife with 50 pounds of C4, just to be sure.

As for other rip-offs of Mythbusters, another one I saw was Smash Labs, though I don't know if that one's still around.

aceplace57
09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
I find it amazing they've made so many episodes based on "myths" that need to be proven.

The Marathons show how clever they've been dreaming up stuff to test. Is water wet? Does shit stink? Does cold air make Kari's nipples hard? Those are next years shows. :D

running coach
09-25-2011, 05:05 PM
I find it amazing they've made so many episodes based on "myths" that need to be proven.

The Marathons show how clever they've been dreaming up stuff to test. Is water wet? Does shit stink? Does cold air make Kari's nipples hard? Those are next years shows. :D

And then her nipples explode with delight C-4.

Scissorjack
09-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Man, Grant Imahara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Imahara) has a serious CV.

kenobi 65
09-25-2011, 06:40 PM
I notice that Kari is just getting better-looking as time goes on. :D

Son of a Rich
09-25-2011, 06:46 PM
I can't wait until they guillotine someone to see if the head retains conscienceness. Be nice if it was that narrator.

running coach
09-25-2011, 06:57 PM
I can't wait until they guillotine someone to see if the head retains conscienceness. Be nice if it was that narrator.

"For our next myth, the Mythbusters will be using some cutting edge technology.
Just wanted to give you a heads-up to stay tuned after these messages."

cochrane
09-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Man, Grant Imahara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Imahara) has a serious CV.

CV? :confused:

running coach
09-25-2011, 07:15 PM
CV? :confused:

Curriculum vitae. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae)

Robot Arm
09-25-2011, 07:45 PM
"For our next myth, the Mythbusters will be using some cutting edge technology.
Just wanted to give you a heads-up to stay tuned after these messages.""This Mythbuster is literally beside himself with excitement."

Yorikke
09-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I notice my boner every time Kari is on camera. My god, she really pushes my buttons...

Joe

Chronos
09-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Rather a crude way to phrase it, but I can certainly understand the sentiment.

Biggirl
09-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Adam went through a lengthy period of doing lots of "funny voices" on camera. He seems to have dialed it back a little, which is fine with me. A little of that is OK, but I swear there were some episodes where he did the entire thing in a fake Cockney accent or whatever. If one of my co-workers did that, I'd strangle them.

One of my other favorite awkward/awesome moments is when Scottie (Oh, how I miss her) and Kari goaded Tory into trying to jump that wagon on his bicycle, and he did a massive face-plant onto the concrete as a result.

IIRC, Scottie is the only other woman who's actually been in the cast. The other women who have been on the show were either one-season "Mythterns" or Kari's maternity replacement or whatever.

There was one other woman who was on rather frequently for a short period of time. The one that got burned with the gobstopper-- dark hair, button nose. She did seem far too emotional for Mythbusters. She cried, not because she got burned but because she freaked when she got burned.

Yorikke
09-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Rather a crude way to phrase it, but I can certainly understand the sentiment.

My apologies. You just go back to your tea and crumpets, Lord Thistlewick.

Joe

Robot Arm
09-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I notice my boner every time Kari is on camera. Almost Swiftian in its rapier-like subtlety.

armedmonkey
09-25-2011, 08:34 PM
There was one other woman who was on rather frequently for a short period of time. The one that got burned with the gobstopper-- dark hair, button nose. She did seem far too emotional for Mythbusters. She cried, not because she got burned but because she freaked when she got burned.
That would be Christine Chamberlain (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/meet/christine-chamberlain.html), who won a Discovery Channel contest (she really had no other qualifications) and was on the show for season two and the first part of season three.

John DiFool
09-25-2011, 09:19 PM

Apparently the British audience gets a British announcer who is even worse.

drastic_quench
09-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Mythbuster's editor must have a lot of DVR stock, because the show is perfect for it.

It's a little known fact that entire Mybuster catalogue, sans recaps, is only 55 minutes long. It was shot over the course of a single Labor Day Weekend in 2002.

Runs With Scissors
09-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Did you notice each episode could be trimmed to five minutes?

Unintentionally Blank
09-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Jamie is somewhere on the autism spectrum and what's up with the gay moustache, Kari is only there for eye candy, the rest are replaceable.

The wife and I SWORE they were gay for the first season or so.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

minor7flat5
09-25-2011, 11:08 PM
There was one other woman who was on rather frequently for a short period of time. The one that got burned with the gobstopper-- dark hair, button nose. She did seem far too emotional for Mythbusters. She cried, not because she got burned but because she freaked when she got burned.Was that Christine? The one I mentioned above, from the plywood zipline episode?

ETA: Looks like Monkey says so

AClockworkMelon
09-25-2011, 11:12 PM
I like the narrator. :(Did you notice each episode could be trimmed to five minutes?Welcome to television.

Electric Warrior
09-25-2011, 11:48 PM
There are definitely much better ways the Mythbusters could have filled out the rest of the 44 minutes that don't involve the exact moment when the myths are proven true or false. I would have liked to see more of the planning process - diagrams and calculations leading to the tests - but it looks like TV ratings favor the slapstick and goofy antics.

Biggirl
09-26-2011, 12:09 AM
That would be Christine Chamberlain (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/meet/christine-chamberlain.html), who won a Discovery Channel contest (she really had no other qualifications) and was on the show for season two and the first part of season three.

Ah, thanks.

Little Nemo
09-26-2011, 12:18 AM
If you want a science course, sign up for community college. Mythbusters isn't supposed to be education or research - they basically conduct scientific experiments for entertainment. And a major part of that entertainment is the cast - if you don't like the cast members, you're not going to like the show. Personally, I think the current cast has a great balance of personalities that works well together. And I feel they're all contributing to the show beyond just standing in front of the camera - the cast we see actually makes a significant contribution to developing and running the experiments.

Plus, Kari is totally hot.

Polerius
09-26-2011, 01:23 AM
It's a little known fact that entire Mybuster catalogue, sans recaps, is only 55 minutes long. It was shot over the course of a single Labor Day Weekend in 2002.
Priceless :D

drastic_quench
09-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Priceless :D

Thanks.

Shit, I misspelled Mythbuster.

Kobal2
09-26-2011, 01:51 AM
If you want a science course, sign up for community college. Mythbusters isn't supposed to be education or research - they basically conduct scientific experiments for entertainment. And a major part of that entertainment is the cast - if you don't like the cast members, you're not going to like the show. Personally, I think the current cast has a great balance of personalities that works well together. And I feel they're all contributing to the show beyond just standing in front of the camera - the cast we see actually makes a significant contribution to developing and running the experiments.

Plus, Kari is totally hot.

Well, I like the cast and I think they have great chemistry, but I wish the show's producers wouldn't require them to act, because they absolutely suck at it.
You can immediately tell when one of their interactions is a genuine conversation or reaction that got captured on camera, or an "as you know" phony conversation. The latter is painful to watch, because they're so obviously awkward at it. Particularly noticeable with Kari and Grant ; less so with Adam and Jamie because it's not that Jamie is awkward - he just visibly doesn't give a shit so watching faux-excited Adam next to meh-Jamie is amusingly jarring.

Far as I can tell, he has a knack for getting himself hurt in stupid ways. Crucial skillset ! :p

Chronos
09-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Eh, Buster's better at that.

Chelonaut
09-26-2011, 02:33 AM
My biggest gripe about the show is the filler. I borrowed two DVD-sets from a friend and enjoyed watching them, but only thanks to much use of the fast forward-button.

But my next biggest gripe is
that it's not bloody _enough_. The second the words "ballistic gel" are mentioned, I know I'm going to be bored by the next ten minutes (except I skip them, but you know). I've seen one episode they used a pigs carcass for ... blowing up or something. But usually they muck about with the damn gel for what seems eternities and end up with some vaguely creepy anthropomorphic ... thing to test the myth of the week. Are they afraid of protests if they use dead animals?

Alessan
09-26-2011, 03:33 AM
If you want a science course, sign up for community college. Mythbusters isn't supposed to be education or research - they basically conduct scientific experiments for entertainment.

Zombie Feynman disagrees with you. (http://xkcd.com/397/)

EvilTOJ
09-26-2011, 03:51 AM

Like Jessi, that callow blonde headed tight tittied bimbo they got while Kari was on maternity leave. It was as if they scrounged in the dumpster behind the set of Overhaulin' or Let's Paint Shitty Cars for a stand in. I cannot stand any episodes she's in.

sitchensis
09-26-2011, 03:55 AM
Like Jessi, that callow blonde headed tight tittied bimbo they got while Kari was on maternity leave. It was as if they scrounged in the dumpster behind the set of Overhaulin' or Let's Paint Shitty Cars for a stand in. I cannot stand any episodes she's in.

I found her completely annoying and developed a crush on her. I couldn’t stop watching and yet it hurt.

Evil Captor
09-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Already answered:

My guess is that they're worried if they just become another 'lets blow it up, take it apart or build something" they'll become the same as most of the other shows on right now (Worlds biggest fix, Deconstructed, Build Destroy Build Junkyard Wars, etc)

And as mentioned above, Smash Labs.

joebuck20
09-26-2011, 09:46 AM

Or perhaps a love triangle between Grant, Kari and Tori, with Scottie thrown in for good measure.

Quercus
09-26-2011, 01:10 PM

I also believe the same story was behind the Ark shock, and that nobody was happy they had been incited into doing it.You know, that makes the extent of the post Ark shock guilty silence a little more understandable.

If someone gets mildly hurt from your bad idea, you can "Oh no! I'm so sorry; I didn't think it would hurt that much!"

But when you really did think it might hurt, but someone else talked you into it against your better judgement, there's not much you can do, but stand around in awkward silence.

Too bad we couldn't watch footage of Jamie ripping the producer a new one afterwards; that would have been entertaining conflict, right?

MsWhich
09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Too bad we couldn't watch footage of Jamie ripping the producer a new one afterwards; that would have been entertaining conflict, right?

I would pay good money to see this.

(I like the narrator too, by the way.)

AClockworkMelon
09-26-2011, 01:48 PM
(I like the narrator too, by the way.)Vindication!

Little Nemo
09-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Zombie Feynman disagrees with you. (http://xkcd.com/397/)No, Zombie Feynman and I are in accord. We both realize the show is about experimentation.

TreacherousCretin
09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
You can immediately tell when one of their interactions is a genuine conversation or reaction that got captured on camera, or an "as you know" phony conversation. The latter is painful to watch, because they're so obviously awkward at it. Particularly noticeable with Kari and Grant

I like MB's, and I don't search for mistakes, but last season (I think it was) during one of those scripted exchanges between Kari and Grant....

Three cameras. One showing both of them, one close on Grant, and one close on Kari. All went smoothly, so that I almost didn't notice a glaring continuity error. IIRC it was something about how Kari's was wearing her sweater. The mistake was the equivalent of a lapel pin switching sides during one closeup reaction shot.

I know the exchanges are scripted, but the accidental conspicuous fakery was surprising.

madmonk28
09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Regarding the more frequent bickering on the earlier episodes: the first couple of times I saw the show in its first season, I thought they were a bickering gay couple who also busted myths. Also, they use a different narrator overseas (since measurements are given in metric) and it is just a little bit off.

Biggirl
09-26-2011, 02:52 PM
The promos for the marathon had Tory, Kari and Grant doing and re-doing their lines. Well, except for Grant, who only had one 'line', and that was to laugh like a mad scientist.

It was funny cuz Tory flubbed his line a few times and then nailed it, only to have Kari flub the next line. Then, instead of having Tory do his line over, they edited in Kari saying her line correctly. And Grant laughing. Poor Grant. He always seems like the red-headed stepchild.

An Arky
09-26-2011, 02:54 PM
The wife and I SWORE they were gay for the first season or so.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Well, the thing is, I don't get a huge gay vibe from him, except for the moustache. I don't care, and so what if he or anyone else is, and all...

Best Topics: delicates dryer setting shana alexander nodal lines aircraft speed brake 300 muscles wart after freezing haymaker punch origin optimistic cynic convertable top repair obvibase help pounds and quid gillette stadium logo doctors mirror bypassing egr valve gatorade sugar free car sluggish start discord tts beatbox kawasaki fonts 5'7 height male moving equalizer background ear cleaner walgreens duffy strode 2016 tank of nitrous mulder's dad short arm people motorcycles are annoying emp damage fresh halibut prices bipolar military cartoon vs animation dial 0 stop excel autocorrect pub trivia categories what animal is pepperoni is it illegal to share prescription drugs golden corral take out dodge ram brake problems filing a counterclaim to a civil lawsuit what to write on mail when person has moved lien reported on used car fallout 3 energy weapons guide 3 prong to 2 prong adapter home depot how much to pay house and dog sitter 190cc lawn mower horsepower 1000 ways to die fake burger king microwave their burgers what does toss your salad mean moo im a goat shirt doll$boxx members i can not tell a lie american red cross stop calling how long can you run a generator continuously how do indian names work weight of a bar of gold in pounds christmas lights strobe effect honeywell thermostat says return gun safety red dot stainless steel back base metal bezel japan movt watch what is darkness in latin when did drones become popular chicago sunroof urban dictionary saving private ryan is the german soldier the same how to become a professional driver ms mary had a steamboat