PDA

View Full Version : Delivery pizza--what do you do with the red pepper packets?

MovieMogul
01-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Whenever we order pizza, we get those little packets of red pepper. What do you do with them?

XT
01-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I toss them in the trash can...same as the nasty parmesan cheese packets that come with pizza.

-XT

bouv
01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Huh...never heard of nor seen this, and I've ordered take out pizza a fair amount...must be regional (I'm in the northeast US...living in VT, lived in NY, and ordered plenty of pizza all over the rest of new England.)

Leaffan
01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I've never encountered them. I'd use them liberally if I did though.

Jackknifed Juggernaut
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
People that want to add some spice usually tear off a corner and sprinkle the contents onto their pizza.

Packets like those are reason why you'll sometimes see this warning: "Silica gel. DO NOT EAT"

DCnDC
01-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes, I've found it's no longer a standard accompaniment that they automatically include. When at home I toss them and use the good red pepper flakes from Penzey's, but when not at home I'll use the store stuff.

hogarth
01-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I've never received a packet of anything when I've ordered pizza.

Sometimes I'll add dried red pepper to a slice of pepperoni pizza if I'm buying a single slice. So in theory I might use it.

XT
01-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Just to clarify, since it wasn't really a choice, I like red pepper (and fresh parmesan cheese as well), just not the packets that come with pizza. I have friends that snarf up both, however.

It must be a regional thing, since when you get take out pizza or even delivery they usually have both types of packets available, and a lot of places just toss them in whether you ask for them or not. Of course, I remember places like Domino's and Papa John's doing the same thing when I lived on the east coast as well, so maybe it's just something they don't do anymore.

-XT

Zjestika
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
The weekend supervisor at work always orders Papa Johns and I'm in charge of the order. I always get as many red pepper and parm packets as they'll let me have. Often I use one red pepper, then I keep the leftover packets for frozen dinners on other days. I have my own pepper and parm at home for when my husband and I get delivery from Davanni's, which is a local chain that typically doesn't include packets of things.

What's the deal with the seasoning packet from Papa Johns? It's like a salt with green flakes in it. It's strange- if you think your food needs better seasoning maybe include it in the product?

aceplace57
01-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Trash them along with the packets of smelly toe jam cheese.

Usually the pizza guy asks if I want either packet and I say no.

cochrane
01-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Pizza Hut gives you those packets. I always apply the pepper liberally on top of my slices. I like to feel the heat.

silenus
01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Empty them on top of the pizza. The more the merrier. Then break out the hot sauce and get to eating.

tr0psn4j
01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Apply liberally! Along with the crappy parm cheese.

Algher
01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I use some, and save the rest for backpacking. Great little source of spice on the trail.

I refuse to use the fake parmesan though - that stuff is just wrong.

Jackknifed Juggernaut
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM
...I like to feel the heat.

Then I strongly recommend applying some Sriracha (aka cock sauce) onto your next slice. I normally load my slices with garlic powder and crushed red pepper. But on special days, I add the Sriracha as well.

coffinjumper
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
I put them in a condiment bag with the left over packets of parmesan cheese only to later get pissed off when I grab them out instead of the last resort parmesan I wanted for my spaghetti. Honestly, I really should just throw them away.

Washoe
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes, I've found it's no longer a standard accompaniment that they automatically include.

I make the car payment by answering the phones at Domino’s on the weekends. A high volume store can actually blow through $400/month on pepper packets alone. SOP for most of the major chains now is to only give them out on request, and even then, sparingly.

Packets like those are reason why you'll sometimes see this warning: "Silica gel. DO NOT EAT"

What would happen if you ate silica gel? It would seem to me that you would just poop it out later undigested.

Biggirl
01-04-2012, 06:44 PM
I have never seen a red pepper packet. I imagine it's like those paper black pepper packets that come with your hospital boiled egg meal, except it has red pepper flakes in it. I have a jar of red pepper flakes.

Purd Werfect
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I throw them in a drawer and use them when I need crushed red pepper for a recipe.

iamthewalrus(:3=
01-04-2012, 08:41 PM
What would happen if you ate silica gel? It would seem to me that you would just poop it out later undigested.Yeah. It's pretty inert. And you'd have to eat a whole lot to worry about the absorptive qualities. But it's generally a bad idea to eat things that aren't food, so when something that's not food is packaged with something that is food, they go a bit overboard.

Ferret Herder
01-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Toss them on the rare occasion I see them. I prefer giardiniera on pizza.

Bridget Burke
01-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I like Star Pizza (http://starpizza.net/)--a local chain with two restaurants. Usually, they don't include condiments unless you ask. If they add red pepper, I'll use it on the pizza; otherwise, use some from my kitchen. If they include parmesan, I save it; it's freshly ground stuff in aluminum foil. If I don't save it too long, it's great on a plate of pasta....

Ludovic
01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Pizza Hut gives you those packets. I always apply the pepper liberally on top of my slices. I like to feel the heat.
Meh, I use them if I'm actually at a restaurant but in order to feel the heat I'd have to open like 3 packets per slice, and it's not worth the time. Those flakes are pretty tame.

I do however love me some Papa John's garlic sauce. And their Buffalo sauce is perhaps the most delicious hot sauce I've ever had (even if it's also not very hot.)

BigT
01-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Never used them. The idea of actually liking to sprinkle hot stuff on food only came to me recently--my parents never even kept black pepper on the table. And I haven't seen those packets in years, maybe over a decade.

Becky2844
01-05-2012, 03:17 AM
We always get them, too. I save them Just in Case. And sometimes use them in recipes.

The "cheese drawer?" in our refrigerator is stuffed with Taco Bell sauce, sweet & sour packets that come with egg rolls, Ranch dressing (it's there because I never use it) and "butter" spreads. Good for if we ever run out of butter.

singular1
01-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Toss them on the rare occasion I see them. I prefer giardiniera on pizza.

Huh. Another case of Ignorance Fought. I had to look this up, and now I know that you can put this on pizza and sandwiches, which sounds awesome, whereas before I only ate it as a side with some cheese.

Oh, and I've had delivery pizza from PA, VA, ME, CA, FL, MS, LA and WA, and never once did I get a packet of red pepper with it.:confused:

Ferret Herder
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Huh. Another case of Ignorance Fought. I had to look this up, and now I know that you can put this on pizza and sandwiches, which sounds awesome, whereas before I only ate it as a side with some cheese.
I forgot, it's a semi-regional thing, where there are a lot of Italian-Americans. :) Chicago has it all over the place. The local pizza place offers it as a topping, but they make it so freaking hot that I don't always get it on the pizza. I prefer the milder variety so you can put more on. :D Pizza, sandwiches, and part of an antipasto platter (and occasionally in an antipasto-style salad) are pretty much the only ways I eat it.

Ephemera
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I have never seen a red pepper packet. I imagine it's like those paper black pepper packets that come with your hospital boiled egg meal, except it has red pepper flakes in it. I have a jar of red pepper flakes.

They're more like the packets that sanitizer wipes come in.

silenus
01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
They look like this (http://minimus.biz/images/F01-0906301-1100bg.jpg).

pulykamell
01-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Hmmm...I don't ever recall seeing such a thing with my pizza order. Were I to get such an item, I would put it on top of the pizza, of course.

ryan
01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I can't remember ever getting them with a pizza. If I did, I'd just toss them in a drawer with the soy and hot sauce from take-out chinese, salt and pepper packets and wrapped plastic forks. Everything except duck sauce, that stuff is nasty.

I'd then use my own, good quality red pepper flakes.

Infovore
01-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I tell the deliveryman I don't want them (nor the parmesan packets) so he just takes them back.

Johnny Angel
01-05-2012, 06:20 PM
When available, I'll use the Parmesan on a couple of slices, but never feel like it has materially affected my enjoyment of the pizza. I had no idea the stuff was controversial. Gee-whillikers, people, get a religion already.

Left Hand of Dorkness
01-05-2012, 06:30 PM
I don't recall seeing them. My wife likes pepper flakes on her pizza, but I don't: for some reason I'm not crazy about chile-heat in Italian food. Great in Chinese, Mexican, Indian, Thai, etc., but don't much like it in Italian. (Spicy sausage excepted).

Motorgirl
01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I've definitely never encountered them. Grew up in NYS, now live in New England. I like putting red pepper on my pepperoni or plain cheese pizza (but not on pizza with other toppings). I've always had to use my own jar.

brad_d
01-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I use 'em on the pizza. I can't tell them apart in taste from the ones in the plastic container I bought at the grocery store (which is what I use when the pepper packets aren't available).

They're pretty common here in Southern California, and typically look exactly like the packet silenus linked to. The last time we ordered take-out from East Side Mario's (http://eastsidemarios.com/), an astonishing number of pepper and cheese packets were included in our (non-pizza) order, as well.

purplehorseshoe
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
You left off "other" from your poll.

I sprinkle them out in the garden to keep the squirrels from digging. :)

Ludovic
01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I do however love me some Papa John's garlic sauce. And their Buffalo sauce is perhaps the most delicious hot sauce I've ever had (even if it's also not very hot.)
:::Hijack::: . So I was in Cleveland at a bowling alley and ordered some Buffalo wings. I'd never jumped straight into a "nuclear" wing hotness since I never know when it would be too too hot, but I did go right for the "nuclear" this time.

Their "hot" level was straight up Frank's -- I could even see them pouring it from the can (ETA: which is good and exactly what I would expect on a "hot" level of wings). Their "nuclear" level was Frank's -- with pepper flakes :confused: . Which wasn't horrible tasting, just weird.

markdash
01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Douse my pizza with them, then take the leftovers and save them in the pepper spice bottle. A combination of 1 and 3, then.

kayaker
01-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I use them on the pizza.

I've thought about grinding them to a fine powder and adulterating someone's cocaine.

Biggirl
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
They look like this (http://minimus.biz/images/F01-0906301-1100bg.jpg).

Aluminum foil-y? And are crushed red peppers the same as red pepper flakes?

Every day, something new.

Kimballkid
01-06-2012, 02:34 PM
The only place I've ever seen around here that gives anything extra with a delivery/carry out pizza is Papa Johns and they give you a jalapeno pepper and this weird garlicy buttery sauce.

silenus
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Aluminum foil-y? And are crushed red peppers the same as red pepper flakes?

Every day, something new.

Foil-paper, and yes they are.

mnemosyne
01-06-2012, 05:28 PM
I've never seen these. I guess I'd put a little on a pizza and see if I liked it if I ever received some.

The only side thing we ask for when we order a pizza is a poutine; our local place has a deal to get a medium pizza and medium poutine. Absolutely terribly wonderful.

dalej42
01-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I love red pepper on pizza. I usually keep the packs that I get from delivery and take them into work when I'm bringing in frozen pizza or a marinara sauce entree for lunch.

I'll use the packets at home for delivery if I can't find my red pepper jar. If I've had a few beers, I've been known to lose the red pepper!

Lacunae Matata
01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
I save the packets, and keep the big shaker of red pepper flakes on the table. The individual packets (of everything) are in a drawer, ready to accompany lunches if the kids decide they want to pack one instead of eating the cafeteria offering. My son is a spice fiend, so individual packets of red pepper, hot sauce, etc. are highly prized.

Barking Dog
01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I use them on occasion. But usually when I want some heat on my pizza I squirt a little rooster sauce on.

TBG
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Never had it come with delivery.

Pizza Hut used to have a shaker of it on the table back in the days when they were more of a real restaurant than a carryout/delivery place, and I seem to recall they still do, at least last time I was there (a few years back) that was the main place I've encountered it.

A few other real restaurant pizza places have similarly had it on the table.

tracer
01-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Just be sure you don't order your delivery pizza like this:

http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=635193

Susie Derkins
01-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I make my own taco seasoning, which I then use to make mexican chicken soup. I use the pepper packets in that instead of buying a jar of red pepper flakes.

Uncle Brother Walker
01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't like them. Toss 'em.

At the restaurant where I work, we only give them out upon request. I haven't checked, but I hope they have a long shelf life, because we maybe go through a box of 1000 every two years or so.

But I don't think they go bad. The cheese, on the other hand...

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't think I've gotten pepper with my pizzas. But what I generally do with unwanted condiments is leave them in the cabinet for later (if I just don't need them at the moment) or for someone else (if it's something I just don't like).

Best Topics: out of area snapple quotes silencer for revolver artichoke hearts taste thedoctorbill.com scam horny when tired unopened geodes att wireless gateway rust penetrant hemicorporectomy angel lift benches lesbian play white apple juice songs titled angel royal doulton periwinkles ever loving fuck led zeppelin logos alpha actual chinese tombstone k pax meaning oceans 11 song rind of orange refinance carmax loan desitin for chafing longest straight road soaking boots stolen car registrations ronald reagan mommy genesee beer review cute mean radon scams larry king microphone greek sexual position personal bowling lanes can gunshot residue be washed off xbox live family account 360 how to endorse a third party check abbreviation for monsieur and madame cleaning 35 mm slides first car air conditioning half my christmas lights are out cotton hollow bourbon review what is llc mean after a company name bugs in pasta box safe to eat benadryl for pain relief subsistence hunting is still practiced in what happened to mr pink jak se mas polish medical nitrous oxide tanks for sale mensa practice test scores why do storms cause power outages can you get a parking ticket while in your car suspend water without cup are police officers civilians dane cook hand sign 2004 infiniti g35 coupe mpg purpose of covered bridges carrie ann moss sexy barnes and noble order online pickup in store storage trunk for end of bed blood pressure decrease during exercise best way to euthanize a fish where to buy liquid nitrogen spray will a 9mm go through a person how to attach a belt buckle metaphor about grandmother dying plaque on back of teeth gort. klaatu barada nikto what are the things on top of a giraffe's head