PDA

View Full Version : What colour are your eyes?

Arnold Winkelried
02-08-2012, 08:53 PM
I just made a throwaway comment about eye colour in ATMB and then realized that the results of this poll at the SDMB might be interesting.

I did a search and found a previous poll on eye/hair colour combination (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=560967) (April 2010), but this one is just for eyes.

If you're not sure, check Wikipedia's reference pictures.
Eye color: Eye color chart (Martin–Schultz scale) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_colour#Eye_color_chart_.28Martin.E2.80.93Schultz_scale.29)

Arnold Winkelried
02-08-2012, 08:56 PM
By the way, I made it multiple choice in case you want to claim heterochromia (https://academicpursuits.us/columns/read/1254/is-it-possible-to-have-eyes-of-two-different-colors).

Arnold Winkelried
02-08-2012, 08:58 PM
And as expected, the blue eyes take the lead! (Insert offensive joke about the master race here)

Student Driver
02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Hazel. I think. I look in the mirror, I see brown. I claim "brown" on my driver's license. However, I routinely have people comment that my eyes have become green or (occasionally) gold, so hazel seems to be the best description.

Arnold Winkelried
02-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Related question: do you like your eye colour? Would you want to change? I personally wouldn't mind having green eyes, but I'm happy enough with blue.

Pyper
02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
I have very light green/blue eyes (you can see my eyes in the portrait gallery). I answered green in the poll, because I tend to think that they are more green than blue. I would never change my eye color; I think they are my best feature.

brainstall
02-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Blue eyes here. Nothing special.

Just met someone with heterochromia. Thank you for giving me a name to put to it. He had blue eyes, but one had a splotch of brown in it. I thought it was cool, but I didn't know where to look, my eyes kept going to the unusual eye.

PandaBear77
02-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Brown. Behold my dominant genes, bitchez!

SciFiSam
02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Related question: do you like your eye colour? Would you want to change? I personally wouldn't mind having green eyes, but I'm happy enough with blue.

I love green eyes, but am happy with my own blue. They're definitely blue - not grey or green or anything else. I've had a lot of people ask if they were real and apparently they can be a little scary, ice-queen like. I quite like that effect. It's not that unusual, but I like it anyway.

JohnT
02-08-2012, 09:47 PM
To be honest, I have no idea what color my eyes are.

My daughter just said they're "greenish-blueish", so whatever color that is, there you go.

jjimm
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
My eyes started out blue/gray but are getting bluer and bluer the older I get.

Vicullum
02-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Blue here. Wouldn't change them for the world. When I traveled through Brazil and SE Asia I kept getting comments from the ladies on how much they liked them.

It's fun to be thought of as "exotic" once and awhile.

Taomist
02-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Wish I could just have chosen more than one colour, rather than choose 'hazel'. Technically they ARE hazel, but every single time someone's asked what colour my eyes are, and I've taken my glasses off and said "I can't tell; take a look and tell ME", they stare, and stare some more and give up and say 'hazel'. They are brown AND blue AND black AND green AND amber AND yellow. It's like Seurat tried to paint stained glass in there!

LavenderBlue
02-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Green but I have blue eyed kids. My husband's brother is blue eyed. He married a brown eyed woman. They have four kids. Exactly as the odds would have it, three have brown eyes and one has blue eyes.

Taomist
02-08-2012, 10:48 PM
By the way, I made it multiple choice in case you want to claim heterochromia (https://academicpursuits.us/columns/read/1254/is-it-possible-to-have-eyes-of-two-different-colors).

Somehow I missed this, and now I wish I could go back and change it. :p

In that case, my eyes are green, blue, brown, with splotches of black and some weird gold. :p

I've seen them look quite BLUE on the rare occasion: once when I was small enough I had to climb on the bathroom sink counter to see in the mirror; I was so happy to have the same eye colour as my brothers finally, yay! Didn't last long. As a adult, occasionally after...relations...apparantly they look pretty damn blue. But it's rare.
They look more green, in general, than anything else. Until you really look at them, that is.

John DiFool
02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Two year old poll on the same subject (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=560280&highlight=color).

carnut
02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Basically, they are blue. China blue when I was little but now they look green to most folks. The green appearance is because I have yellow spots with the blue. I am told the yellow developed because I spent a good deal of time in the sun. I'm inclined to agree. My dad's eyes were sea-foam green at retirement age and for many years after, but after a year indoors at a nursing home they were, gasp!, China blue.

My mother has heterochromia, one gray eye, one brown eye.

aruvqan
02-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Depends. They can range from a Paul Newman blue to ice grey depending on how pissed off I am. mrAru jokes I have mood eyes. Happy = blue, the more pissed I get the greyer they get. My dad's would go from warm brown to dead flat black when he was pissed off.

Cat Whisperer
02-08-2012, 11:07 PM
I should have looked at the chart first; I think I actually have amber eyes, not brown eyes. I use brown for everything that asks eye colour, but when you see them in the light, they look just like the ones in that picture.

Cat Whisperer
02-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Looking again, I guess they're light brown, not amber. I know you were all hanging on the edges of your seats...:)

Loach
02-08-2012, 11:58 PM
When I look in the mirror I see green. Others including my mother say they change and reflect the color I'm wearing. I think my eyes are my best feature. I'm happy to say both my daughters have eyes very similar to mine and not boring brown eyes like most of my family.

Rachellelogram
02-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Grayish blueish, fairly pale. I think I owe my oversensitivity to light to my eyes. I remember reading that light-eyed people see colors better, but dark-eyed people see better at night.

Rhiannon8404
02-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Hazel, and they do vary from medium brown to green though.

PapSett
02-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Hazel bordering on olive green. My dad's eyes were more green, and my moms were brown. When she was pissed off they went horrifyingly black. When her eyes were black, I learned to stay out of her way. But when they were that pretty, warm brown, I thought they were beautiful.

scootergirl
02-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Brown

picunurse
02-09-2012, 02:46 AM
I have brown eyes. A few years ago I got blue contacts. They were just to change my eye color, no correction.

One day I was in a car accident. There was a police detective in the car behind me. he rushed to my car and said, "Are you o... boy, your eyes are blue!" Then my adult son saw them, hated them, so I got rid of them.

Sleel
02-09-2012, 02:51 AM
They used to be really blue, now still more blue than grey but close enough that I put both blue and grey. Since my 20s, I've started to have a section of yellow-green inclusions around the iris, which I also checked in the poll. Both eyes are about the same color. Most people would probably say that my eyes are blue on a casual viewing, though the color perception can be shaded somewhat by what I'm wearing.

panache45
02-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Green, though one is very slightly bluer and the other is very slightly yellower.

~Olive~
02-09-2012, 05:22 AM
blue ...and bluer if i am horny

Becky2844
02-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Green. They go with my reddish-brown hair and used-to-be scattering of freckles. I once knew a boy with eyes that were basically brown but they were shot thru with all different colors (green, yellow, red.) My brother called them spin-art eyes. Remember at the fair, when you'd drop food coloring down onto the spinning white squares? The boy was sweet and had thick, dark lashes. I'd rather talk about his eyes.

ryan
02-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Hazel-green, more green than brown...says green on my IDs.

chiroptera
02-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Very dark brown.
I had a friend in high school who had one green eye and one hazel eye. It was a little jarring, but quite attractive.

Illuminatiprimus
02-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Blue - described by others as "shockingly blue".

Antigen
02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Plain old brown for me.

elfkin477
02-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Grayish blue-green (with brown around the pupil). When people give up and ask me what color they are, I usually say blue.

DrFidelius
02-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Gray, tending toward blue. Can look bluer or greener depending on what color shirt I am wearing.

gallows fodder
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Very dark brown. My driver's license says they're black, but that's a lie.

The wind of my soul
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
And as expected, the blue eyes take the lead! (Insert offensive joke about the master race here)

Wait wait wait. Are there more white people with blue eyes than brown eyes?

the Lady
02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Hazel. They get browner if I'm not feeling well though.

FlyingDragonFan
02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I voted hazel, but I'm actually heterochromic. Not like David Bowie, but one eye is noticeably more on the brown side, the other more green.

bup
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Yellow.

The part that's supposed to be white, anyway.

My irises are brown.

Chefguy
02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Paul Newman blue. I've always been surprised when a woman swoons over eye color. It really doesn't get more superficial than that.

Drain Bead
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Mine are a very bright, clear olive green.

Zsofia
02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Mine are medium blue with those yellow rings around the pupils. I'm not sure what you call them; they're not super-prominent, but it seems sometimes they're more evident than others because every so often people who have known me for a while will comment on it. Not, like, Mary Sue-in-fanfic-about-elves obvious, at any rate. :)

I'm perfectly happy with them.

Vihaga
02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Hazel-green, more green than brown...says green on my IDs.

Same here. They were really green when I was younger (and got my driver's license), but I've got some gold in the middle now.

kenobi 65
02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Listed as "blue" on my driver's license, but more like a steel blue / blue-gray. So, I voted for both "blue" and "gray".

(Now that I type that, it makes me sound like I couldn't decide on which army to support in a Civil War re-enactment. ;) )

romansperson
02-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Mine are this color, mostly, with an inner rim that is sort of this color. I don't know what to call it. In photos my eyes tend to look olive drab or even brown, which is darker than they really are.

The Great Sun Jester
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Seems like they change between gray & blue. Gonna go with gray.

Greg Charles
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Mine appear green when it's bright, and brown when it's dark, so I just say hazel.

P.S. Do they spell it "colour" in Irvine?

missinformation
02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Very dark brown, almost black here, with very small pupils. When I get very angry or emotional, my eyes turn black.....if I did not control my temper, the person upsetting me would have black eyes too :)

Acid Lamp
02-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I have Amber eyes. While most of the time they are bit darker, more similar to the "honey eyes", they range far into the gold/yellow range depending on sunlight and mood.

Dr. Woo
02-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Definitely green, with gold flecks and a dark grey-blue ring. Pretty close to one of the examples on the wikipedia page.

jabiru
02-09-2012, 07:12 PM
To be honest, I have no idea what color my eyes are.

My daughter just said they're "greenish-blueish", so whatever color that is, there you go.

Yeah, this is me also. I ticked blue and green but they're either bluey-green or greeny-blue. I wouldn't mind having violet eyes like Elizabeth Taylor.

Steophan
02-09-2012, 09:45 PM

I will so claim! My eyes are very similar to this picture (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Humaniris.jpg/120px-Humaniris.jpg) from the wiki article, so grey with an amber/light brown centre.

Springtime for Spacers
02-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I went with grey. Some people say they're blue but my Dad has piercing bright blue eyes and that's the only kind of blue eyes I recognise. Mine are pretty mixed really, a light bluey grey with a nice yellow ring around the iris. Stare at them long enough and you'll see turquoise :)

MoodIndigo1
02-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Mine are the colour described as blue-green-grey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blue-Green-Grey_eye.JPG (perhaps the gold in the centre is a bit darker.

WhyNot
02-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Ridiculously blue. Like, the blue of our own SDMB blue bars.

Mary Sue Blue.

I have no idea what to say when people compliment me on my eyes. I had absolutely nothing to do with it. "Thanks," feels utterly bizarre.

Johanna
02-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Light brown a.k.a. honey-colored.

Related question: do you like your eye colour? Would you want to change?

Love it! But if I were to choose another color, it would be dark brown.

Quasimodem
02-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Interesting question.

It depends on how the light hits them, I think, Arnold. In sunlight, a piercing blue, but with artificial lighting, I've been told they're gray.

Q

Butterscotch
02-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Wait wait wait. Are there more white people with blue eyes than brown eyes?

From the Wiki article in the OP
"A 2002 study found that the prevalence of blue eye color among Caucasians in the United States to be 33.8 percent for those born from 1936 through 1951 compared with 57.4 percent for those born from 1899 through 1905.[12] Blue eyes are continuing to become less common among American children, with only one out of every six or 16.6% of the total population, and 22.3% of the white population having blue eyes.[36][37]
Worldwide, only 150 million people (some 2.2%) have blue eyes."

I'm undecided about my colour, need to consult a mirror.

Ahoy
02-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Green. My wife says that's why she married me, because of my fatty eyes.

Time Like Tears
02-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Mine vary pretty widely, and don't exactly fit into any of the descriptions listed on that Wiki page. They look most like this photo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Humaniris.jpg) most of the time, but sometimes are all grey, or all light green, or green/brown hazel.

It depends entirely on the kind of light I am in and the surrounding colors.

misling
02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
I put grey and green - they are about half way between. They only look strongly green if I wear green or turqoise, but they always look somewhat green. Some people have told me that they occasionally look blue, when at their greyest. I expect that's reflection.

Oldeb
02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Another heterochromatic here. My left eye is a vertical split blue/brown.
I marked other, but I've always just used blue any time I have to fill out a form asking for eye color.

Cat Whisperer
02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Green. My wife says that's why she married me, because of my fatty eyes.
Heh - my husband has green eyes, too, and I try not to call him "Fat Eyes" too much. :)

I missed the second part of the question, if I would change my eye colour if I could. I think I'd make mine a more true brown, too.

ETA: Although pansy purple irises might be cool!

Biggirl
02-10-2012, 01:37 PM
There are more blue eyed than brown eyed people? I'm shocked.

salinqmind
02-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Green with gold flecks. I've been told a few times they're "hazel". For the life of me, I do not grasp what "hazel" means, there's no picture on the wiki page. Maybe I DO have hazel eyes, I dunno.

Skammer
02-10-2012, 02:10 PM
My eyes are green, and most of my family (siblings/parents/grandparents) are green or blue, so I was hoping to pass them along to my kids. But unfortunately my wife comes from Eastern European stock and her deep brown eyes were inherited by both children. I'll have to hold out hope for the next generation.

congodwarf
02-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Blue, fairly dark. I'd love to have green eyes though. My mom has green eyes and they're beautiful.

Satchmo
02-10-2012, 03:07 PM
My eyes started out blue/gray but are getting bluer and bluer the older I get.

Mine are the opposite. They were quite vivid blue when I was a child, but the older I get the lighter/grayer they seem to get.

No desire to change.

rocking chair
02-10-2012, 07:06 PM
blue grey in person, battleship grey in pictures.

Zjestika
02-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Both my husband and I have very similar green eyes. I can't wait to see if our baby does too.

Runs With Scissors
02-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I voted hazel, but when i was a kid they were brown.

Today they are more green than brown, but there's enough brown to make them hazel.

And the brown and green areas do not mix. They are separate.

SeaDragonTattoo
02-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I voted both hazel and brown, for I mourn for my hazel eyes that are now very dark brown due to medication I used for about a year. People used to ask me what the heck color my eyes were, because they sometimes were light brown, sometimes amber, sometimes olive green. Now, they're just uniform dark brown, and have been for more than 10 years. I wish I could have my old eye color back, but have to resign myself to old pictures.

Johanna
02-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Good question. What's with the Nordic Doper bias?

florez
02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Almost black, deep dark pools from hell.

Atomic Mama
02-11-2012, 12:40 AM
I think my eyes are green, but one former boyfriend & my new husband think they're blue ... I got my face done by bare essentials for the wedding & they discreetly put gray/blue shadow on my lids ... maybe my eyes change with the light? :confused: :eek: :D

Atomic Mama
02-11-2012, 12:46 AM
I think my eyes are green, but one former boyfriend & my new husband think they're blue ... I got my face done by bare essentials for the wedding & they discreetly put gray/blue shadow on my lids ... maybe my eyes change with the light? :confused: :eek: :D

Idle Thoughts
02-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Blue. Cite. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/chrisln/sniff.jpg)

Gagundathar
02-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Dark green shot through with amber and brown. You can't tell from a distance, and it just looks dark green/brown. Nothing outstanding.
But, they apparently get really green when I am irritated.
I have seen others here describe that phenomenon. I wonder how it works?
Contraction of some ocular muscle complex? Causing the iris to be constricted might cause some prismatic effect. Certainly someone somewhere has done work on this.

Cat Whisperer
02-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Mine are the opposite. They were quite vivid blue when I was a child, but the older I get the lighter/grayer they seem to get.

No desire to change.
I have heard that people's eye colour can change as they age. It seems to me like mine were darker brown when I was younger, too.

Rushgeekgirl
02-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Hazel, coppery gold and green. My brother has eyes like Taomist, and they're just stunning especially in bright light.

Angel of the Lord
02-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Hazel, but I had to post here a few months ago to find that out. Here's a cite (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3012846/DSCN0020.JPG)--they're sort of tri-colored.

JBDivmstr
02-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Hazel here, they're light brown with a greenish tint that's more obvious in sunlight. :D

Infovore
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Mine are green. I like the color, but I would rather have true gray or light blue eyes, just because I think they're more striking looking. Green is fine, though.

Loach
02-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Lotsa whitey around here.

Kizarvexius
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Mainly blueish grey, with gold rings around the irises. Usually summed up as "hazel". My daughter's are almost exactly the same.

Brighter
02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
hazel+brown+green a little

Misnomer
02-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Mine are blue (http://nouilles.info/sdpix/47101.html), and I wouldn't change 'em for the world. Mostly because blue-eyed brunettes aren't very common.

My brother and I both got our Irish father's blue eyes. I think that my Italian mom is beautiful, but frankly I'm glad that I didn't get her brown eyes...yay, recessive genes! ;) (That said, my left eye has a small brown spot in it: I like to think of it as being a bit of my mom.)

My mom's brown-eyed brother married a blue-eyed Irish woman: one of my cousins has brown eyes and the other has blue.

dwyr
02-14-2012, 02:28 AM
I'be always called them olive green. My mother used to say hazel but we never agreed on the color of anything anyway. I like them the way they are.

rinni
02-14-2012, 03:49 AM
Ridiculously blue. Like, the blue of our own SDMB blue bars.

Mary Sue Blue.

I have no idea what to say when people compliment me on my eyes. I had absolutely nothing to do with it. "Thanks," feels utterly bizarre.

I say, "Thanks! I grew them myself!" It usually gets a chuckle.

For the poll, my eyes are also blue. They're a light blue with a darker blue ring around the outside. Oh, and one eye has one strange little brown fleck right on the outside of the iris.

Best Topics: control + y flop sweats spiderman vs galactus no trespassing meaning smoking cloves scared to poop turn brake perler ironing paper native jamaican wrapped packages michael nesmith joann mailbox key polyester resin hardener get helvetica font instant stooge plexiglass shower doors soda can thickness william francis deegan kor'kron outrider meaning of labamba doctors associates most dense liquid weed whites wine 999 million coffee teabags lowes 4x4x10 chapstick on nose silly emotion brandon rosario capellini noodles imdb deliverance www.farmers.com/mileage dented bone ball peenhammer crackers and butter gmc canyon 5 cylinder problems suggest an explanation for why aspirin has a sour taste house smells like gas but have electric salt concentration in blood where to find steam files trader joe's hoisin sauce how many ships have sunk should you paint when it is raining male cat in heat after neutering how to tell if someone is cheating on words with friends dumpster diving laws georgia cost to ship a mattress across the country shakespeare beast with two backs how many times does your heartbeat in a year vh1 100 greatest women in music how hard is java lifespan of a wasp without food highest score in bowling without a strike how do you eat sunflower seeds no country for old men hotel what is ntsb breaking bad african american extra leg muscle bag balm for eye wrinkles orange juice tastes carbonated samsung syncmaster 226bw flickering on startup what does bend it like beckham mean to whom it may concern email where to buy weeping willow trees country music message boards learning to play the oboe