PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused, is "0.02" two cents or point zero two cents?

Isamu
04-04-2012, 02:28 AM
This Wikipedia page on royalties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalties#Mechanical_royalties

has a list of the statutory royalty rates for webcasts and lists all the royalties in the "0.0x" format. Are they making a mistake or is the "0.02" format completely acceptable because everyone knows it means "$0.02"? I can't decide. :confused:

Rigamarole
04-04-2012, 03:07 AM
Ask Verizon.

Isamu
04-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Yeah I know about the Verizon debacle. But a spoken "point zero two cents" is clear, and is different from a written "0.02", isn't it?

Alley Dweller
04-04-2012, 04:00 AM
"20" means twenty cents.
"2" means two cents.
"0.2" means two tenths of a cent.
"0.02"means two hundredths of a cent.
"0.002" means two thousandths of a cent.
And so on.

It is totally unambiguous. Well, except for people screw it up so much that you have to double check that they wrote what they really meant to write.

"$20.00" means twenty dollars.
"$2.00" means two dollars.
"$0.20" means twenty cents.
"$0.02" means two cents.
"$0.002" means two tenths of a cent.

"$0.02" is totally meaningless.

Yorikke
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Yeah I know about the Verizon debacle. But a spoken "point zero two cents" is clear, and is different from a written "0.02", isn't it?

It's only ambiguous because the average moron doesn't understand the difference, and when they see .02 anything, they assume "2 cents."

Joe

Acsenray
04-04-2012, 09:12 AM
This Wikipedia page on royalties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalties#Mechanical_royalties

has a list of the statutory royalty rates for webcasts and lists all the royalties in the "0.0x" format. Are they making a mistake or is the "0.02" format completely acceptable because everyone knows it means "$0.02"? I can't decide. :confused:

0.02 means exactly what it says. Two thousandths of a cent.

I have no idea what you mean by $0.02

Colophon
04-04-2012, 09:16 AM

I have no idea what you mean by $0.02
The problem is, it should be unambiguous, but it is so often done wrong. Loads of prices are marked in the form, e.g. 0.49c when they mean 49c.

Acsenray
04-04-2012, 09:19 AM
The problem is, it should be unambiguous, but it is so often done wrong. Loads of prices are marked in the form, e.g. 0.49c when they mean 49c.

The U.S. Copyright Office does not make this error.

Cheesesteak
04-04-2012, 09:20 AM
It's only ambiguous because the average moron doesn't understand the difference, and when they see .02 anything, they assume "2 cents."Or, when they want to write two cents, they start with .02, then add the cents sign instead of using the correct dollar sign.

In this case, since they're linking to a official US Copyright Office document, I would assume they did not make an obvious mistake, and they really mean 2 hundredths of a cent.

Alley Dweller
04-04-2012, 09:20 AM

The first column to the right of the decimal is the tenths column.
The second column to the right of the decimal is the hundredths column.
The third column to the right of the decimal is the thousandths column.

0.02 is two hundredths of a cent.
0.002 is two thousandths of a cent.

RTFirefly
04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
The problem is, it should be unambiguous, but it is so often done wrong. Loads of prices are marked in the form, e.g. 0.49c when they mean 49c.I keep on saying that one of these days, I'm gonna go up to the cash register and produce a single penny to pay for an item marked '.99'.

If I ever do, I'll be sure to share the story here.

Hampshire
04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
If they wanted to write it in the .02 format they should have wrote it as $.02

Acsenray
04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
0.02 is two hundredths of a cent.
0.002 is two thousandths of a cent.

:smack: Of course I knew that. What's that law about getting things wrong in your own post correcting someone else?

If they wanted to write it in the .02 format they should have wrote it as $.02

But they don't mean $0.02. They mean 0.02, which is $0.0002

PatriotGrrrl
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I keep on saying that one of these days, I'm gonna go up to the cash register and produce a single penny to pay for an item marked '.99'.

If I ever do, I'll be sure to share the story here.

Be sure to tell them they can keep the change. :)

ZenBeam
04-04-2012, 06:28 PM
ETA: Never mind. I thought there was supposed to be a "$0.02" format.

Scarlett67
04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Now if we could just get people to stop writing "$20 dollars."

drewtwo99
04-04-2012, 07:08 PM

And VIN number, ATM machine, etc...

Gary T
04-05-2012, 12:05 AM
And VIN number, ATM machine, etc...Y'all need to file a complaint with the Department of Repetition and Redundancy Division.

chacoguy
04-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Ask Verizon.

I remember this, does anyone have a link?

polar bear
04-05-2012, 06:21 AM
I remember this, does anyone have a link?

Here the full version: http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/2007/08/original-recording-of-verizon-customer.html

There are some shortened versions on youtube; I wouldn't be half as patient as this guy though.

Crackrat
04-06-2012, 02:40 AM
:smack: Of course I knew that. What's that law about getting things wrong in your own post correcting someone else?

Gaudere's law (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=41684)

Malacandra
04-06-2012, 03:14 AM
And VIN number, ATM machine, etc...

At least when you say either of those the redundancy isn't immediately obvious. But how the hell does anyone who writes "$20 dollars" pronounce it in their heads as they write it? :smack:

Jake Jones
04-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Ask Verizon.
What now, bitches?

thelabdude
04-06-2012, 08:31 PM
This almost seems to belong in the ''Surprised what people don't know thread.'' 0.02 cents clearly means $0.0002. Putting the dollar and cent signs in the same expression can only lead to confusion and lack of meaning. I am disappointed in Wiki.

Best Topics: scale body armor vocals for remixing youngest dick sucker floating holiday mri truck ah so meaning 18mm inch synthetic coal vermicelli darwin bacon number lassie caliper pins whale ejaculate volume mens hairy ass bathroom sink smells raven pets tontine legality st matthews meal roxy roller lyrics burned my finger salt water vomiting welfare babies defibrillator paddles clear limburger cheese smell weeping buddha american restore fat steak sand varnish painting leather jacket triangle knives taco bell sucks oriental ethnicity can substitute teachers collect unemployment what does opium smoke smell like do you capitalize french fries zen mp3 players for sale will paypal take money from my bank account porky pig son of a why do i smell like garlic how long until it is safe after a nuclear bomb suspend water without a cup i hate my sister in law value of 30 pieces of silver how to tell what sound card you have how to dehumidify a garage leftover pork chop recipes easy how to trim armpit hair without itching why do you pass out when you lock your knees pilonidal cyst drainage at home there a hole in the wall where the man can see it all steam uninstall game keep save files what kind of gloves does the military use should i delete per user archived windows error report does barnes and noble price match how does snorting drugs work protect leather couch from cats oven temp to keep pizza warm where can i buy battery for car key i used to be with it quote clogged ear with ringing how do birds find bird feeders how many calories to maintain 300 pounds elevator prank gone wrong transfer from marines to army