PDA

View Full Version : A rat has invaded my home. Help me annihilate the fucker before I start shooting holes in my walls.

Lancia
02-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Iím ready to burn my house down. Tonight.

I just stepped into the laundry room and saw a large black rodent scurrying behind the washer. Much too big for a mouse.

A motherfucking rat!

I want to wake the kids up, shoo them outside, grab my twelve gauge and go hunting. I suspect my landlord would not be happy with this.

My youngest son has been saying for a few weeks now that heís been seeing ďblack thingsĒ moving in his room. Spooky, but I figured he was just trying to stay up later. Now Iím seriously freaking out. Have they been on his bed, on him?!?!. I have no idea what kind of rat it is, and I donít care. Motherfuckers need to die, and do so quickly and completely.

Questions:

How the fuck do I make these little demonic nightmares permanently DEAD and GONE?! Traps? Glue boards? Poison? Nuclear weapons? Anyone who had experience with these bastards, please help a guy out. What works?

Why are they here?! I have absolutely never once seen a live rat in a house. Iíve never seen a dead rat in a house. Iíve seen rat traps at WalMart but never knew anyone used them. My house is cluttered but clean: no empty food cartons, no old pizza boxes or piles of beer cans. My clutter is books and kids toys. Food is kept sealed and in the cupboards. What do the little shitsuckers want?!?

Should I be worried about diseases? Do I need to make an appointment with my kidsí doctor to get blood work done to see if theyíve picked up any nasties? Do I need to wipe down every single surface with bleach and Lysol? Oh my fíing Og, Iím starting to freak out hereÖ

Iím sitting on a barstool in front of the washing machine, Mossberg in hand, awaiting some much-needed guidance.

Alley Dweller
02-18-2013, 02:10 AM
I get unwanted visitors every fall. I've developed a routine.

Snap traps (like this (http://tomcatbrand.com/rat_snap_trap.html) -- not the little wooden ones) plus glue traps (http://tomcatbrand.com/rat_glue.html) plus bait trays (http://centralgarden.com/rodent-control-animal-repellents/rat-mouse-baits/tomcat-ultra-pelleted-bait-trays-12ea-16oz.html).

The problem is that different rats are immune to different traps/poisons. There are some that will not go near a trap, but will happily run across a glue board. Others will jump over glue boards to get to the traps. And most of my visitors seem to be immune to the various poison baits, but putting them out lets me observe where they are hanging out (check the trays to see where it's been eaten) so that I can target that area. (Of course, your pets and children are not immune to rat poison!!!!!)

The best bait for the traps is chocolate. Some exterminators swear by miniature snickers bars, but I (an amateur) find that miniature chocolate chips work just dandy. Rats will eat anything, of course, but they will go out of their way for chocolate. Cheese makes a poor bait, by the way. And don't give up if the chocolate chips disappear without setting off the trap, just rebait and wait.

I put the snap traps out about a yard apart in the rooms where they have been seen. I put the glue boards, double row, across the doorways to rooms. (Yes, be careful where you step.) If they are running in a narrow space like between your washer and dryer, some glue traps in there might work.

If a rat or mouse gets stuck in a glue trap, you can't be squeamish about killing it. Don't put it live into the garbage or just let it suffer on the board, quickly and decisively kill it. You will know when one has been caught because you will hear a non-stop squeaking noise.

In all the years, I have caught exactly one mouse in the old-fashioned wooden spring traps. I have tried the various live-catch and humane traps. I have never, ever had one of them even disturbed.

You need a little patience. Offer them options for getting killed and double down on whatever they seem to be going for.

the_diego
02-18-2013, 02:11 AM
Put that shotgun away, for pete's sake.

JohnClay
02-18-2013, 02:14 AM
I think the poison I used was called rat sack. Anyway it dried out the rat so that when I found its body it was like a piece of stiff cardboard and had no smell.

Peanuthead
02-18-2013, 02:19 AM
D-Con poison got rid of rats I had in my backyard shed. But I don't know how you feel about that stuff inside the house with children and possibly pets. I wouldn't use glueboards because then you gotta do something with a live rat and although I don't mind killing them I don't want to be around when it happens.
And be sure to plug any entrances they might be using.

Not to freak you out or anything but a few years ago I found one swimming in my toilet. :eek: Bastard came up through the sewer pipes. I slammed the lid and flushed him away. Took about 6 flushes though.

astro
02-18-2013, 03:01 AM
I get unwanted visitors every fall. I've developed a routine.

Snap traps (like this (http://tomcatbrand.com/rat_snap_trap.html) -- not the little wooden ones) plus glue traps (http://tomcatbrand.com/rat_glue.html) plus bait trays (http://centralgarden.com/rodent-control-animal-repellents/rat-mouse-baits/tomcat-ultra-pelleted-bait-trays-12ea-16oz.html).

The problem is that different rats are immune to different traps/poisons. There are some that will not go near a trap, but will happily run across a glue board. Others will jump over glue boards to get to the traps. And most of my visitors seem to be immune to the various poison baits, but putting them out lets me observe where they are hanging out (check the trays to see where it's been eaten) so that I can target that area. (Of course, your pets and children are not immune to rat poison!!!!!)

The best bait for the traps is chocolate. Some exterminators swear by miniature snickers bars, but I (an amateur) find that miniature chocolate chips work just dandy. Rats will eat anything, of course, but they will go out of their way for chocolate. Cheese makes a poor bait, by the way. And don't give up if the chocolate chips disappear without setting off the trap, just rebait and wait.

I put the snap traps out about a yard apart in the rooms where they have been seen. I put the glue boards, double row, across the doorways to rooms. (Yes, be careful where you step.) If they are running in a narrow space like between your washer and dryer, some glue traps in there might work.

If a rat or mouse gets stuck in a glue trap, you can't be squeamish about killing it. Don't put it live into the garbage or just let it suffer on the board, quickly and decisively kill it. You will know when one has been caught because you will hear a non-stop squeaking noise.

In all the years, I have caught exactly one mouse in the old-fashioned wooden spring traps. I have tried the various live-catch and humane traps. I have never, ever had one of them even disturbed.

You need a little patience. Offer them options for getting killed and double down on whatever they seem to be going for.

Pretty much this, use glue and snap traps and put them all over the place. Rat traps can break fingers if you mess with them . Teach the kids how to avoid them. I find Jelly belly jelly beans work great because they have a powerful scent and can be mashed into the bait holder so they have to work at it to get the food.

Dereknocue67
02-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Obviously, traps/poison are a good approach but the first thing you need to determine is how they are entering your home and seal the area. Otherwise, they will continue to breed and come and go as they please.

Start by thoroughly inspecting the outside of your home looking for any small opening in areas such as foundation vents, crawlspace doors, areas where utility lines/pipes penetrate the outside wall, etc. A small opening about a quarter size of your fist will give a rat entry to either a crawl space or the outside wall cavity.

From there, the rat needs entry into your home through another opening. This can be where plumbing lines enter the wall or behind furniture or appliances where a rat can gnaw through the interior wall but they usually try this where there's a partial opening to begin with. Once these areas are sealed, set your traps and keep setting them until there are no more rats. If you have pets, they will be attracted to the traps and/or poison so use extreme care in locating the traps along with caution in using and placement of any poison. Most dogs love the commercially enhanced odor and flavor of rat poison.

Princhester
02-18-2013, 04:23 AM
There is a very dangerous creature in your house. It has two legs and its freaking out while armed.

AK84
02-18-2013, 05:34 AM
Get a cat. You make your kids happy and also keep the rats in check. On the other hand a W88 warhead might work. Solve this problem. Create a dozen new ones, but will kill the rat ( and everything else in a five mile radius).

Cinnamon Imp
02-18-2013, 07:44 AM
There's a rat in your kitchen, what are you going to do?

You're gonna fix that rat, that's what you're gonna do!

I really hope that song (http://songmeanings.net/songs/view/9414/) is at all known in the US, otherwise I'll just look weird.

kiz
02-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Get a cat. You make your kids happy and also keep the rats in check. On the other hand a W88 warhead might work. Solve this problem. Create a dozen new ones, but will kill the rat ( and everything else in a five mile radius).

Or a dog. Rats -- and mice -- won't go near a house where they know there's a very large (to them) enemy lurking about.

My now-husband's dog killed a rat in the basement in the first place he lived when he moved back here. Never saw another one after that. At the second place he lived we'd see the rats scurry outside behind the trash cans, but never, ever had one in the basement or in the house.

Broomstick
02-18-2013, 08:00 AM
My spouse did actually shoot a rodent in the house once. With a crossbow and not a gun, admittedly, but it did cause a few minor problems. First, there was blood on both the wall and the carpet. Ew. Second, the bolt penetrated the wall and continued on into the next room, necessitating a treasure hunt for it. I'd advise caution and making sure no one is in the room behind the critter you're aiming at lest a Tragic Accident ensue. And third, you still have to dispose of a dead carcass. Finally, you will need to clean up/repair the hole(s) in the wall.

Nowadays, we use poison bait. It's what we find most effective.

Please put the gun down, it's not a particularly efficient or safe way to deal with in-house vermin.

Lynn Bodoni
02-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Please put the gun down, it's not a particularly efficient or safe way to deal with in-house vermin. Nuking it from orbit, on the other hand...OK, it's not safe.

The OP might consider borrowing a Jack Russell Terrier, rather than a cat. As much as I love cats, some of them simply aren't big enough to take on a large rat. Or just hire an exterminator, who will do things like examine the house for ways the rat (or rats) are getting in and out, as well as terminating the rats.

TheMightyAtlas
02-18-2013, 08:31 AM

We have two cats and mice in the basement and attic on a couple of occasions. The rodents' fear of cats is balanced out by their fear of freezing to death in our New England winters.

Ferret Herder
02-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Based solely on how awesome their mouse trap version was, I have to recommend the Victor Electronic Rat Trap (http://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LNX06C/). Put in batteries, bait the trap, set it; the critter enters, completes the circuit, and it's dead.

I am a soft-hearted vegetarian but when a mouse trying to move in for the winter will not take the hint and get the fuck out of my house, sometimes you have to resort to more desperate measures. (Turns out a single mouse can create a surprising amount of mess - and that it's not always the "for every mouse you see there are X more" situation.)

Bam Boo Gut
02-18-2013, 09:47 AM
http://rat-traps.co.uk/Rat-Traps-images/rat-cage-trap.jpg

Here's the jobbie! Now bait the trap with a fair sized lump of bread, don't hang it on the sensor, ram it in the back of the trap, while ole ratty's nibbling away he'll trip the sensor and presto!

You've prepared your bucket full of water and you now put ratty to rest in there.

Pour vinegar on their trails to stop them using the route they have marked.

Lancia
02-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Chill out, guys. The gun thing was a joke. I don't own a shotgun. I have a child's pellet gun though, which I may have to deploy if the glue boards work. Rest assured I won't do it in the house.

There is absolutely no way I can seal up my house. It was built in the 50's, and the original owner built lots of neat built-in drawers, cabinets and cupboards in all the rooms. The backs of these open into the empty wall spaces behind them. Also, the house has been added on to at least twice, so there are gaps in the walls and openings in the crawlspace. There is no basement.

On the off chance what I saw was not a rat (not likely, it was a quick but decent look), I put out some mouse traps last night, just simple snap traps. I used peanut butter as the bait. One wasn't touched, while the other was triggered but the bait left unmolested. I had to do something.

I have some big issues with poison. Not that I'm against poisoning the bastards, but I don't want a pile of decomposing rats buried in some wall. I want to be able to remove their disease-ridden carcasses from my home. I like the idea of glue boards and big black plastic snap traps. Although, I've found for mice the simple wood snap traps work best. I've never had luck with those black alligator jaw type traps. I will try them with the rats though.

Do I need to worry about them leaving behind diseases? What kind of post-infestation cleanup routine do I need to adopt?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Lancia
02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
http://rat-traps.co.uk/Rat-Traps-images/rat-cage-trap.jpg

Here's the jobbie! Now bait the trap with a fair sized lump of bread, don't hang it on the sensor, ram it in the back of the trap, while ole ratty's nibbling away he'll trip the sensor and presto!

You've prepared your bucket full of water and you now put ratty to rest in there.

Pour vinegar on their trails to stop them using the route they have marked.

That's cool. A Havahart for rats. I'll have to look into that.

StGermain
02-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Horse people I know give the Rat Zapper (http://amazon.com/Agri-Zap-RZUIR1-Zapper-Ultra/dp/B000BWFESU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361204007&sr=8-1&keywords=rat+zapper) two hairless tails ups.

StG

TriPolar
02-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Get a cigarette lighter and a can of hair spray. When you see the rat use the ligher to ignite the hair spray as a make shift torch. Once you set the rat on fire it will scurry back into it's hole, and set your whole house on fire. You'll find his crispy little corpse among the charred remains of all your possessions. This is much safer than blindly firing a shotgun.

Debaser
02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
I recommend using peanut butter for bait on snap traps. The trick is to tie a little string around the trigger mechanism for the trap. Smear that with peanut butter. This ensures the trap will go off as the rat or mouse pulls on the tied string.

Otherwise you often end up with a still set trap that's had the bait licked clean off of it and it never went off.

I set many traps, all right together. I've never had to deal with rats, but it works great on mice. The concept should scale up without a problem.

Broomstick
02-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Do I need to worry about them leaving behind diseases? What kind of post-infestation cleanup routine do I need to adopt?
Standard chlorine bleach cleanup should work just fine. Bleach containers normally have instructions on how to dilute/mix up an appropriate solution. Wear rubber gloves.

The biggest problems 1) getting bitten by a live rat (if that happens save the rat carcass if possible, but in any case consult a doctor ASAP) and 2) fleas from rats. Fortunately, they are not the disease vector they were in medieval Europe and in most cases this won't be a problem but if you live in an area where rat-borne diseases are endemic be on the look out for symptoms.

As a general rule, if there is no direct contact between you and the rat(s) you should be OK. If you do get sick with something go see a doctor. The odds of it being of rat origin is low by why take chances?

I've lived in situations a few times with a need for rat extermination, and certainly mice. No illnesses so far.

johnpost
02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
go for a head shot, you don't want to ruin the meat.

a rat snap trap will kill if you get it to go for the bait, secured hard to the trigger. handle carefully it can cause some damage.

medstar
02-18-2013, 08:20 PM
We need to get you together with MeanOldLady so you two can compare notes and drive up your blood pressure together. Better yet, when you do capture your rat, package it up and mail it to MeanOld Lady and ask her opinion on disposal. Sure, she'll have a conniption fit but it's all worth it for the entertainment value!

::d&r::

Valgard
02-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Obviously, traps/poison are a good approach but the first thing you need to determine is how they are entering your home and seal the area. Otherwise, they will continue to breed and come and go as they please.

Start by thoroughly inspecting the outside of your home looking for any small opening in areas such as foundation vents, crawlspace doors, areas where utility lines/pipes penetrate the outside wall, etc. A small opening about a quarter size of your fist will give a rat entry to either a crawl space or the outside wall cavity.

From there, the rat needs entry into your home through another opening. This can be where plumbing lines enter the wall or behind furniture or appliances where a rat can gnaw through the interior wall but they usually try this where there's a partial opening to begin with.

This. I had to deal with roof rats a few years ago and the solution was to spend some time sealing up all their entry points. Check with your county vector (disease) control office, they may have a service where they send an inspector out to your house to help you identify how the critters are getting in.

I patched some holes, trimmed back some vegetation and no more problems. Plus, no traps to bust a finger or paw, poison that accidentally gets somebody's pet and no stinking corpses to find and dispose of.

Dereknocue67
02-19-2013, 09:06 AM
There is absolutely no way I can seal up my house. It was built in the 50's, and the original owner built lots of neat built-in drawers, cabinets and cupboards in all the rooms. The backs of these open into the empty wall spaces behind them. Also, the house has been added on to at least twice, so there are gaps in the walls and openings in the crawlspace. There is no basement.

Read your lease to see if rodents are specifically your responsibility. If not and barring other exclusionary language in the lease, why not bring the issue to the landlord pointing out the obvious points of exterior/interior entry and see if the landlord will take action to correct the issue in order to maintain a habitable dwelling.

indian3478
05-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Rodents do not like Peppermint, get some x tract and through it around, plant it out side, if you use a trap I used cheese then put a match to it a bit for smell.I know a fella who does this for a living and he uses Sardines, You need to clean up the rat poo. the dust off it is deadly.I.ve used a vacuum.

cougar58
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
When I moved in my current home 3 yrs ago, the previous folks had lots of mice traps in random areas.
oddly enough, just last night, I got up to get a drink from the fridge, and I heard my cats making a new sound. They had cornered a mouse under a kitchen roll cart. My first rodent in 3 years! They(cats) were very smart, and used teamwork to trap the mouse. They chased it left and right about 20 times, while it was under the cart. It finally made a run for it behind one of those wire racks you hang on walls to hold dinner plates, that I had on the floor awaiting installation. Again, they covered both ends. the mouse actually cried in frustration. I got my Crossman variable pump BB gun and pumped it 2 times (7 is max) which planted a BB in his butt without a mess. I knew not to use my Beeman 1200 fps pellet gun, as it shoots a pellet faster than the speed of sound, and would ricochet like a .22.

I had always read that mice or rats will not enter a house with cat(s). This one entered on the lowest of 3 floors, when I left the French doors open to air out the house.

I have baited traps hidden in the same places as the previous owners, and in 3 years no mice.

So, get some cats, and a variable pump BB gun. Be sure to wear safety glasses.

Rats burrow into the ground, as do mice. So you may want to borrow someones Rat Terrier, and buy one of those high amperage prongs you force into the ground, then dump massive wattage in their cottage.

If they are in your walls, you will need an infrared camera to see them, which some fire departments have, as do the US military. Other than turning loose some black rat snakes in the attic.
I would rather sleep in a house with black rat snakes in the walls / attic, than rats in the pantry or chewing on me in bed. Black rat snakes will not harm a human, unless provoked & cornered. Remember the black plague and Bubonic Plague? they were caused by black (not brown) rats.

PS last year, a man in Oregon was confirmed to have contracted Black Death plague from a mouset:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/15/the-black-death-returns-oregon-man-in-critical-condition-with-the-plague/

Last, call Terminix. I have a yearly contract with them, for everything from ants, spiders to rats. They come out every month. If you don't want long term coverage, just have them out for 3-4 months.

cougar58
05-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Rodents do not like Peppermint, get some x tract and through it around, plant it out side, if you use a trap I used cheese then put a match to it a bit for smell.I know a fella who does this for a living and he uses Sardines, You need to clean up the rat poo. the dust off it is deadly.I.ve used a vacuum.

I didn't know about the peppermint effect; I have peppermint growing around the perimeter of the house as well.

cougar58
05-13-2013, 02:36 PM
read the last paragraph:

http://wchstv.com/newsroom/wvwildlife/2011/ww110713.shtml

black rat snakes: " if you see them in your yard, you will not see rodents in your house"

I posted earlier that I have many snakes in my 10 acres that border a state forest and has a 3 acre pond. Many black rat snakes - I never kill them.

So if you don't like my idea of placing snakes in your attic, then set some loose in your yard.

cougar58
05-13-2013, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't use poison. Takes too long to kill them. They will have plenty of time to watch over your shoulders as you watch Ratman Returns, then they die in the wall. Good luck finding the source of the stench even with an infrared cam. Also, their heat seeking fleas will abandon their cold bodies in favor of yours.
My sister just moved into an old house with bats in the basement. I offered to turn loose some black snakes to eat the bats, and she freaked out.
I would rather have non venomous snakes in my attic and basement, than rats in my walls and bats in my belfry

cochrane
05-14-2013, 01:01 AM
It's been three months. I wonder if Lancia is still dealing with rats?

Lynn Bodoni
05-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Iím ready to burn my house down. Tonight. Could be worse (http://cheezburger.com/7431377408).

Zebra
05-14-2013, 03:26 AM
Could be worse (http://cheezburger.com/7431377408).

I hate you.

Lynn Bodoni
05-14-2013, 03:30 AM
You can't hate me yet. First I have to get everyone with usernames starting with A through Y to hate me, THEN it's your turn.

indian3478
05-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Try throwing peppermint levees around the house !

John Mace
05-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Horse people I know give the Rat Zapper (http://amazon.com/Agri-Zap-RZUIR1-Zapper-Ultra/dp/B000BWFESU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361204007&sr=8-1&keywords=rat+zapper) two hairless tails ups.

StG
I've used it, and it works great. No mess.

Truman Burbank
05-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Another vote for snap trap, my variation is to tie a piece of Ritz cracker to the trigger (broken off to the correct size, then cover with peanut butter, but I may try the Jelly Belly trick next time, sounds much easier. I'm thinking about buying my son a good pellet gun and declaring open season on the squirrels who strip my fruit trees.

Musicat
05-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Peanut butter is irresistible to mice, and unlike some loose bait like crackers, where they can remove the bait without triggering the trap, peanut butter encourages them to gnaw and trip the trigger. Don't know about PB & rats; I haven't encountered any yet, but that's the first thing I would try.
It's been three months. I wonder if Lancia is still dealing with rats?It's a new generation. Rat grandchildren.

adhemar
05-14-2013, 07:52 PM
I used stuff called, "Just one bite"(I had to order off the internet) I had to secure the bait/poison to a solid object to keep the rat from dragging it off somewhere but it worked well, one rat died in the house and was quickly disposed of and the area throughly saturated with bleach cleaner. the other(s) left the premises never to be heard of again. One place they were getting in was around the window unit air conditioners.

I do not have pets or children around my house. i used 3 of the bait/poison things and I wire them to a paperback book that I can throw away after I am done with it.

Best Topics: weaponized cancer ebay sheet music jewish furry kroger cooked turkey monkey humping football casting aluminum sword reddit wellbutrin kindle firestick tractor pulling transmissions la vienna cookies hobbit size edgar oliver accent transmission not engaging my dick jokes men ballerina resemble that remark director pants infibulation male continental o300 vomiting porn codekase kard giant marshmallows sunoco decals porno greek raid cockroaches naval brigs mg250dfx marshall contract bridge columns sucking on boob stevie nicks goat proper use of alum washing new sheets before using fiber optic cost per mile ants in electrical outlets get er done meaning funny name for balls cracked battery terminal clamp lemon seed stuck in throat how to approach a girl at work woot bag of crap 2016 highest paved road in us porter cable vs black and decker do tolls take credit cards bleed for the dancer buy nitrous oxide online firestick pros and cons cant get an internship human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution ryan mone something about mary painting a leather jacket what does convoy mean big bang theory characters ages what happens if you lie about health insurance on taxes walk from siberia to india merle haggard dukes of hazzard four-way flashers la bamba meaning of song cover the earth logo and call me sally what temperature does isopropyl alcohol burn at